Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

PeterG

I noticed a change in facebook that I'm not pleased with. I did a search to bump up the previous facebook thread, but there's a number of different facebook threads, all on specific topics. Thought it might be a good idea to have just one thread.

SO...the change is in regards to those who post and post and post and post... There used to be a feature where you could click on the upper right side of any of their posts and choose the "Hide All By BLABBERMOUTH" option. Now only the first option "Hide This Post" and the third option "Report Post or Spam" remain. Anyone know anything about this, and if there is a way I can block those with an apparent case of verbal diarrhea? Or do I have to unfriend them? :(

Wiery

My issue with facebook is that so many people I don't want to communicate with-family members, neighbors, ex-boyfriends, stalkers, perverts, and FSU members all seem to want to to be "friends" and know whenever I'm on the site. :p

nursebetty

How can people tell you are on the site? I see the chat, but if I'm not chatting. sometimes I just want to look around.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I always have the chat turned off, so no one can tell if I'm on facebook.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am not on facebook because I don't like strangers (and sometimes acquaintancces) seeing my personal information (e.g. DOB, address, phone no., family, etc.). Someone told me the other day that I would have the option to show or not show certain parts of the information. Is that true? I am very concerned about privacy, so I never put myself on facebook. The problem with that is I am unable to access information about old friends that are on facebook.

KatieC

My Facebook account has my name and gender, and a few authors I like. That's it. But I like getting the tips people put up here. I figure they know my region from the IP address or something, cuz I didn't put it on there, but the ads are all fairly local.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's definitely from the IP address, Katie. I know this because when I was at work, I'd get ads for San Diego ... which is where the corporate network was housed and where our IP addresses said we were from ... rather than from Mountain View, which was where I was physically sitting, or the town listed as my hometown in my FB profile.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You don't have to put in that information.

When I tried to sign up for facebook, I was asked for my DOB, address, etc. The terms & conditions said that it must be true information, so I decided not to sign up. Is there a way around it?

Tesla

Whippet Good
I signed up a few years ago. I don't remember inputting my address. I just needed to use an e-mail address. I'm fishing around my FB account and have no idea where that stuff would be. Anyway, all I have showing in my profile is my birthdate (which doesn't include the year), so anyone viewing your profile won't see what you don't want to show them. Just don't put it in your profile. I don't know about initial sign-up though.

PDilemma

I signed up a few years ago. I don't remember inputting my address. I just needed to use an e-mail address. I'm fishing around my FB account and have no idea where that stuff would be. Anyway, all I have showing in my profile is my birthdate (which doesn't include the year), so anyone viewing your profile won't see what you don't want to show them. Just don't put it in your profile. I don't know about initial sign-up though.

I never put in an address other than email, either. And I have never listed a phone number there. I suppose you may have to enter your cell number if you are going to post via a smarphone. But maybe not? Anyone know?

My profile shows my DOB w/no year and the town I live in. But I have maximum privacy settings and no one but friends sees the info. I also noticed that Facebook has detailed explanations of how to use privacy settings now when you click on that on your account (not that they were hard to use before...I never had a problem figuring it out and don't know why so many people have).

BaileyCatts

When I tried to sign up for facebook, I was asked for my DOB, address, etc. The terms & conditions said that it must be true information, so I decided not to sign up. Is there a way around it?

Uhm .. yes. Just make it up like I did. :slinkaway

I used a real city and zip (where I lived in high school), but everything else, including my name, is fake. I just wanted to see what Facebook was all about w/o having to actually be on it.

Andrushka

You can always put in whatever info they are requesting,real or fake then go to your account settings and privacy settings and change it and choose what you do and do not want people to know about you. For me,I don't really give a care who knows what movies,tv shows etc...I like.Doesn't matter.However,my photos,DOB,telephone number etc...are all private.I just went through and adjusted my privacy settings yesterday.YOu have an option to make it public,friends only,custom(choose which friends you want to know this info) or just you.How much or how little people know about you,is entirely up to you.

Also for those people who's stuff you don't want to read on a daily basis,just hide them and if you don't want people to know you are online,just don't sign into chat. Or...ignore them LOL I personally don't add people I don't know or care to talk to ,to begin with. Just because I know someone on a website doesn't mean I want them knowing everything about my life or seeing photos of my children.

PeterG

Just choose "Hide This Post" and then it will give you further options to hide them always.

Thanks! :40beers:

My issue with facebook is that so many people I don't want to communicate with-family members, neighbors, ex-boyfriends, stalkers, perverts, and FSU members all seem to want to to be "friends"...

Were there any repercussions when you said NO to their friend request? ;)

Facebook like Ebay never is changing for the better, only worse.

My glass is always half-empty, too. And then someone comes and fills it up, so I'm afraid I'll spill all over my shirt... And then a few sips later, the glass is half-empty again!!! :( :( :(

ryanbfan

I ruined my newsfeed. Right now it's empty which isn't right considering how active my friends are. Anyone know how to fix it so all the posts come back?

I am really starting to dislike facebook. I consistently check my privacy settings to make sure what I want private is private. I checked it a few days ago and now a few posts on my wall are visible to everyone, including people who are not my friends, which I DO NOT like at all. Booo.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I ruined my newsfeed. Right now it's empty which isn't right considering how active my friends are. Anyone know how to fix it so all the posts come back?

I am really starting to dislike facebook. I consistently check my privacy settings to make sure what I want private is private. I checked it a few days ago and now a few posts on my wall are visible to everyone, including people who are not my friends, which I DO NOT like at all. Booo.

Re. wall posts: did you edit your "How you Connect" settings to be friends only?

Re. news feed: I don't know how to fix that. I didn't know you could screw up your news feed. Did you trying asking Facebook's Help Center about getting your news feed back?

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Okay, so my photos are set to be seen (with a few exceptions) by Friends only. So how did a friend of a friend manage to like two of my photos? I've been back through my settings and everything is as it should be.

Grrr.

Erica Lee

Did you tag your friend in the photos? I'm noticing that I'm seeing a lot of photos lately whereby I'm *not* friends with the person who's album they are in; however, I am friends with the person tagged. In that case, I can only see the pictures that are tagged with my friend, not all the photos in that album. I'm not sure what settings would control this.

PeterG

I always have the chat turned off, so no one can tell if I'm on facebook.

I haven't done that yet, but I wonder about people who start chats...but have nothing to say. I refuse to carry a conversation which someone else starts. So it often dies an awkward death! :lol:

Uhm .. yes. Just make it up like I did. :slinkaway

I used a real city and zip (where I lived in high school), but everything else, including my name, is fake. I just wanted to see what Facebook was all about w/o having to actually be on it.

Sometimes when I have to sign up for something which requires a city and a postal code, I'll use Beverly Hills as the city because then I don't have to look up what the postal code is. :D

Meredith

what a glorious day!
So how did a friend of a friend manage to like two of my photos? I've been back through my settings and everything is as it should be.

Grrr.

Facebook announces that I have uploaded photos and I don't know how to change the settings so it will stop. Sometimes people comment on the photos, but I don't remember if the comments originate from Friends or friends of Friends.

It's been a long time since I have uploaded photos, and photos of my family do not appear on my Facebook. Paybacks and all that....

Sparks

With the new changes on FB, look at your privacy and security settings again and make sure they are the way you want. PeterG-block yourself from chat, or I'll bug you every day. :D
You can make sure that your pics are not visable if you like.
The changes are annoying, but managable.

PeterG

I have a question about tagging of photos. I thought tagging was about when there is a group photo on someone else's page, and you are in that photo. You tag yourself in that photo so that it appears on your own facebook page.

My question is about people who tag photos of mine in which no one appears (it's a scenic shot, or a picture at an event, etc.). Why do people tag themselves in pictures like this? And sometimes people tag an item in a photo in which I appear. I don't get this, it seems strange to me. Any explanations? :confused:

PeterG-block yourself from chat, or I'll bug you every day. :D

That is not possible. :smooch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information