U.S. Figure Skating's selections for 2021 Worlds (if it happens...)

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
She has a long history of skating a blinder in one segment and then bombing the other.

I don't really see it that way- I think on several instances over the past 3 seasons Amber has put together pretty nice free skates after skating a great short program. Sure she has had a few bombs, but less every year, and this season I am not sure she bombed at all. I think if you compare anyone's consistency to Bradie they are bound to fall short. I remember how Rudy Galindo for years finished mid-pack at Nationals before 1996 happened and he did very well at Worlds also. Maria Butyrskaya's world gold came very late in her career. Anna Rechnio struggled for years before she had that amazing SP at 1998 Worlds. I just don't think skaters should be chastised for having a bunch of bad seasons before they get it together, and once they do, they should be given chances to continue their progress. And honestly the same can be said of Karen, which is why I am somewhat ok with her getting the spot too, they both deserve it really. But I think there is also no reason to skip over Amber, so I am torn. I am glad that she is at least 1st alternate. That was a masterful display at Nationals, in both the SP and FS.

D

Deleted member 221

I'm not outraged that Karen Chen was named to the World team, but..... I think this does come down to the calling at Nationals v. the calling at Worlds.

Underrotations aside, her flip is almost always called "3Fe" by international panels. So she starts the free skate with a built-in serious error. Add in a "q" or underrotation, and she could end up with -3 to -4 on a clean-looking jump. I think she'd get more points with a double axel. Heck, even a double lutz or loop might generate more points than 3Fe<.

Given the depth of the field and the built-in "e" or lower content, Chen needs near-perfect programs or mistakes from others to stay in the top 10. If that's the case, then why not send Glenn?

jlai

Question everything
I'm not outraged that Karen Chen was named to the World team, but..... I think this does come down to the calling at Nationals v. the calling at Worlds.

Underrotations aside, her flip is almost always called "3Fe" by international panels. So she starts the free skate with a built-in serious error. Add in a "q" or underrotation, and she could end up with -3 to -4 on a clean-looking jump. I think she'd get more points with a double axel. Heck, even a double lutz or loop might generate more points than 3Fe<.

Given the depth of the field and the built-in "e" or lower content, Chen needs near-perfect programs or mistakes from others to stay in the top 10. If that's the case, then why not send Glenn?
Last year at 4cc Chen finished ahead of Glenn fwiw. And at skate America.

Had it been the other way round it might have made a difference.

I prefer Glenn but I can see a case for Karen

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
The men's alternate list looks suspect. Why isn't Ma on there? Pulkinen's had like one good senior international event ever, and Ma is at least landing some quads and finished higher than Pulkinen here, too.

Hiwatashi getting to leapfrog, I understand, because he is attempting hard content, has a good international track record e.g., his 2019 World Jr. title, and beat Naumov and Ma at Skate America.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The men's alternate list looks suspect. Why isn't Ma on there? Pulkinen's had like one good senior international event ever, and Ma is at least landing some quads and finished higher than Pulkinen here, too.

Hiwatashi getting to leapfrog, I understand, because he is attempting hard content, has a good international track record e.g., his 2019 World Jr. title, and beat Naumov and Ma at Skate America.
As was discussed either above or elsewhere by @Sylvia, there's a case to pull Pulkinen in for funding, which Ma already will get based on his top 6 finish.

It's third alternate so it's not likely to be a very serious thing, and also I don't think Ma will score PCS internationally like he did in the LP at Nationals. Even in the short, the judges weren't very generous. And his spins and footwork often are losing levels or getting negative GOE. Pulkinen is a total head case, but we're all hoping for the day...

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Louis, ITA, although I thoroughly enjoyed Chen’s LP here. What Amber has that, to me, sets her apart is the “Wow” performance factor. She emotes to the highest tier of bleachers (in a normally-filled Arena). I’ve been wondering if that artistic emotion may have contributed to her being labeled a “loose cannon” among the more conservative elements at USFS? Artistic temperament can be a double-edged sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information