2019 World Team Trophy Ladies FS

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If Liza could somehow get a quad lutz or a quad toe next season, she could be very competitive with the baby Russians.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Did anyone see this crash between Daleman and Lecavelier during FS warm-up?
(it was sent to me, i did not see it during live feed....)
:yikes:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwMFt3QnJ3h/

Have to say I’m not impressed with the reaction Daleman gave. I’m sure she was winded and I’m also sure she was very startled by it, but she flipped her wrist at Laurine when she offered to help her up (Laurine obviously shocked too) and then Gabby gave a completely unnecessary glare to Laurine after she finally did get up.

Tinami Amori

I heard about it, but didn't see it. Seems like Daleman really got hurt
thanks for confirming. i was not sure if the video is "real", now days you never know...

If Liza could somehow get a quad lutz or a quad toe next season, she could be very competitive with the baby Russians.
... i think she is practicing some quad with a hand-held-longia..

Have to say I’m not impressed with the reaction Daleman gave. I’m sure she was winded and I’m also sure she was very startled by it, but she flipped her wrist at Laurine when she offered to help her up (Laurine obviously shocked too) and then Gabby gave a completely unnecessary glare to Laurine after she finally did get up.
I thought Laurine asked her if she was OK, and Gabby "used her hand" and words to say "yes, i am fine"... It ended well, given how it could have ended......:slinkaway

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I didn't see anything wrong with Gabby's gesture. It just looked like "Never mind, I got this." Rather like Kaetlyn's gesture when she fell at the Worlds medal ceremony and Satoko and Wakaba were offering to help her up.

meggonzo

Banned Member

Have to say I'm not impressed with you trying to sensationalize Gabby's reaction.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Have to say I'm not impressed with you trying to sensationalize Gabby's reaction.

She flipped her wrist, I didn’t elaborate past that. She glared right in the direction of Laurine when she got up. I didn’t elaborate past that. I’m saying I’m not impressed with the reaction she very clearly gave. I didn’t try to read her mind further.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Tony are you kidding? You are making all of that up. I don't think anyone else watching that video would come to that conclusion unless they were trying to instigate some drama. They collided. Gabby got up on her own power. She bent over holding her side. I don't think it was the time to chit chat or hug.

meggonzo

Banned Member
She flipped her wrist, I didn’t elaborate past that. She glared right in the direction of Laurine when she got up. I didn’t elaborate past that. I’m saying I’m not impressed with the reaction she very clearly gave. I didn’t try to read her mind further.

It just looked like she put up her hand as if to say she didn't need help to get up. And I didn't see her glaring, if anything she's wincing, and by the time she's turned back around Laurine is not even in the frame anymore. You're definitely adding your own interpretation to it.

mackiecat

Tony I think you might be reading into it. To me it looked like she wanted to get up herself. If she hurt her ribs, she wouldn’t want someone touching her to help her up. I’m not a Gabby fan but I’m not seeing anything sinister here.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

You're joking right? Flipped her wrist? All I saw was a movement of her hand to indicate to Laurine that she was okay. And glared at her? You're making stuff up Tony. She was winded and had her head down looking at the ice. Laurine had left the scene as soon as Gabby indicated she was okay. I'm honestly flabbergasted that you would deduce all that from the short clip.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Bradie
R&J

She looks relaxed!

2A
3Lz3T
3F great
2A

I’m not gonna lie: I took my contacts out during the footwork :shuffle:

3Lz3T great!
3Lo2T2Lo
3S

Totally killed it. :kickass: I want to see this attack and power paired with different choreography next season. Awesome jumping and attack today.

She's always had the technical content. Now, she sold the performance to go along with it. Great skate!

Last edited:

Nikki Lee

You're joking right? Flipped her wrist? All I saw was a movement of her hand to indicate to Laurine that she was okay. And glared at her? You're making stuff up Tony. She was winded and had her head down looking at the ice. Laurine had left the scene as soon as Gabby indicated she was okay. I'm honestly flabbergasted that you would deduce all that from the short clip.
Is this how the Koreans got triggered by Ms Bell's collision with Ms Lim? Seems like a similar accident.

MsZem

I see the sea
Gabby just seems like she's surprised and in pain - who wouldn't be in her place? Nothing wrong with waving Laurine off and just trying to catch her breath.

MsZem

I see the sea
Maybe it's a French thing. Like the time Laetitia Hubert blindsided Midori Ito during the warm up at the 1991 World Championships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5i6zECEXT0
Even as a tongue in cheek reference, that's not funny. Gabby crashed into Laurine, and it was obviously an accident. Nobody is at fault, and certainly Laurine did not blindside anyone.

Gabby and Laurine both had a tough season, and really didn't need this to cap it off. I hope they'll both be able to heal and recharge during the off-season.

Tak

1991 Munich Worlds was my first live Worlds.
I was not able to see the collision, since a rather large German lady was trying to get the staircase right in front of me. However I do remember the collective gasp and humongous bang that reverbrated within Olympiahalle. I did not understand what happened, then I saw one hand grasp the top of fence then another and Midori in obvious distress came into view. I thought she was going to withdraw. I would like to mention that Surya Bonaly tried to help Midori, at least asked her if she needed help.
Midori never blamed anyone but herself for this collision. She said that in skating it is the responsibility of more experienced skater to avoid mishaps and since this was Laetitia's first Worlds, it was her own responsibility to avoid Laetitia.
The SP also had that collective gasp moment when Midori went out of the rink. I cannot listen to
Warsaw Concerto, without remembering that moment. IMHO, Midori simply forgot that she was skating in smaller width rink...

Dobre

She said that in skating it is the responsibility of more experienced skater to avoid mishaps and since this was Laetitia's first Worlds, it was her own responsibility to avoid Laetitia.

I really think that is a very wise perspective for an experienced athlete to have because it is clear that there is a learning curve when it comes to negotiating a practice rink in the various levels of competition. We see athletes come up that you can tell train with lots of other athletes at home, but still . . . they don't just go out there with 4 or 5 other athletes with programs those athletes have never seen. And that feel at Worlds--it's another level. I remember Shoma in tears after skating in Boston. (And Nam looking like he'd been hit by a mack truck). Samarin at this year's Worlds. Et al. It's just . . . something athletes have to experience. It always disturbs me when the fans of a top athlete immediately launch into a less well-known one involved in a crash. Of course. Because the better known athlete is the one with a fanbase to do the launching, no? But I think athletes have to remember what it's like to be new to a situation. And fans have to try to put themselves there.

ross_hy

Bradie should take that 150 score and run with it. It should give her a big confidence boost going into the offseason and next year. Seeing no URs on her sheet should send a strong message as well. There's going to be a Russian & Japanese logjam at the top for the next few years, but if she keeps skating like that, she'll get her share of medals.

Also glad to see Liza skate well after the disappointment of not going to Worlds. Great event!

Tak

One other rarely mentioned fact about that 1991 Worlds collision between Midori and Laetitia is that this warm-up was delayed 3-4 minutes due to breakdown of Zamboni machine. They needed to start the replacement machine to resurface. I remember all the skaters in this group waiting for the ice to be readied anxiously watching the ice harden. This nervous enforced wait may have been one of the reasons for the collision. I am relieved to see that multiple machines are now being used instead of just one.

Rafter

Sorry not seeing any wrist flipping or glaring from Daleman. To me she looked like she had the wind knocked out of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information