2018 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships & International, July 24-27

Sylvia

TBD
Ice-Dance.com has posted a combined domestic & international comp. schedule (competition runs from Tuesday to Friday) here: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/event-coverage-2018-lake-placid-ice-dance-championships/
"Our PDF includes all LPIDC events (couples, solo, opens, etc.) as well the NACS and LPIDI competitions."

Hopefully IDC will post entries as soon as they can find them out when they arrive.

If there will be a live stream to purchase again, info should show up at the bottom of the LOC page.

Last edited:

Rogueskater

I have friends at the arena and there are no lists posted even for the Competitors entered in the events for today. They have no idea who they are competing against, or how many have entered. They just know when their event is and that is it. My one friend has been told (not sure how reliable this is or not) that they purposefully are using software that hides the Competitors names until they compete. This seems bizarre! I’m certain that since there is the international component of this event that there is some isu rule about publishing the Competitors names prior to the competition.

Dobre

I have friends at the arena and there are no lists posted even for the Competitors entered in the events for today. They have no idea who they are competing against, or how many have entered. They just know when their event is and that is it. My one friend has been told (not sure how reliable this is or not) that they purposefully are using software that hides the Competitors names until they compete. This seems bizarre! I’m certain that since there is the international component of this event that there is some isu rule about publishing the Competitors names prior to the competition.

Sheesh. I'm going to the juvenile & intermediate pattern dances tonight. I'll let you know if I see any of the older skaters in the stands. Thus far, all I know is that mom saw Elena Novak at the store. Also, McNamara & Carpenter had posted on instagram several weeks ago that they were planning to attend. (Hopefully still true). Anyway, I'm expecting the whole Wheaton crew per usual, but no ideas about anyone else.

It's really gorgeous here. There's cloud cover so it's not too hot. We toured the lake this morning. Having a great time! (Except the little hopper plane from Boston somehow manage to break off the two back wheels on my suitcase--yikes! Guess that is the toll for getting to attend a skating event in such a beautiful location in such beautiful weather).

Sylvia

TBD
Emma Gunter/Caleb Wein practicing their Argentine Tango: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnrdVIhate/?hl=en&taken-by=oniceperspectives
Glad Jordan Cowan is there with his cameras! :)

Enjoy the competition, @Dobre - thanks in advance for any impressions/reports you can share this week. Lake Placid certainly is a magical place!

ETA: Some U.S. teams in the ISP and the AHPDP (Athlete High Performance Development Pool) may be in Lake Placid this week for technical feedback sessions with officials - we'll have to wait and see how many end up competing one or more programs.

Last edited:

euterpe

It is maddening not knowing who the competitors are, especially when the LOC is so slow about publishing results on their website (sometimes two days after the segment).

The ISU doesn't run its other competitions this way, thank goodness.

cgirl8

Does that mean there is no stream for the event either? It's become my tradition to watch the juniors and seniors as my kick off to the season so I will be disappointed if they've chosen not to live stream this year.

Sylvia

TBD
We are posting results photos on our Facebook page. We will also post starting orders if we find them. http://www.facebook.com/icedancecom
Thank you! Here are today's for the Intermediate/Juvenile Pattern Dances (eta link): https://www.facebook.com/icedancecom/posts/10155752686072939

Listed teams (2018 Nationals or Sectionals placements are included below)...

Intermediate Pattern Dances (Rocker Foxtrot & European Waltz) - 10 teams are listed in both starting orders:
Nastia Efimova / Jonathan Zhao [Int4]
Hope Noelle Lassiter / Luke Anderson [Int9]
Jenna Hauer / Benjamin Starr [Juv1]
Zoe Sensenbrenner / Matthew Sperry [Juv2]
Emma L'Esperance / Mika Amdour [Juv4]
Giulia Paolino / Noah Lafornara (new)
Avery Landis / Kenny Eckert (new)
Romy Malcolm / Davis Ortonward
Olivia Dietrich / Seiji Urano
Christine Valente / Alex McKay

Juvenile Pattern Dances (Willow Waltz & Fiesta Tango) - 10 teams are listed in both starting orders:
Olivia Ilin / Dylan Cain [Juv6]
Julia Epps / Blake Gilman [Juv9]
Jasmine Lanata / William Annis (E-Juv6)
Anna Sophia O'Brien / Steven Wei (E-Juv8)
Caroline Mullen / Brian Mullen (E-Juv9)
Annelise Stapert / Maxim Korotcov (new)
Xenia Monti / Gaetano Monti (Pre-Juv last season)
Lila Earle / William Lissauer
Mira Hsu / Nicholas Ying
Gabriella Rodriguez / Jonathan Young

Last edited:

Moustaffask8r

This is surprising!!! From the schedule we can figure out that there is not a lot of teams... If you look at Senior, just one group, international (last year you had international and regular competition) and they have only one hour for the FD!!

Dobre

I’m certain that since there is the international component of this event that there is some isu rule about publishing the Competitors names prior to the competition.

The International Teams were all listed on a handout when I got to the arena.

International Seniors:
Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter (USA)
Rachel Parsons & Michael Parsons (USA)
Haley Sales & Nikolas Wamsteeker (CAN)
Molly Lanaghan & Dmitre Razgulajevs (CAN)
Shira Ichilov & Vadim Davidovich (ISR) (I assume this is their senior debut)
Emily Monaghan & Ilias Fourati (HUN)
Elicia Reynolds & Stephen Reynolds (USA)
Nicole Takahashi & Oleg Altukov (USA)

International Juniors:
Friend & Badoui (Australia)
Bashynska & Beaumont (CAN)
Galiyanova & Lochhead (CAN)
Katrayan & Derochie (CAN)
Makita & Gunara (CAN)
Fear & Waddell (GBR)
Amoia & Becker (USA)
Efimova & Petrov (USA)
Gunter & Wein (USA)
Nguyen & Kolesnik (USA)

I don't have the juniors list yet for the non-international portion, which is usually pretty competitive as well.

Last edited:

Dobre

Intermediate Scores: (Not official. Just me taking notes the best I could).

Combined Pattern Dance Scores:
1. Efimova & Zhao 40.86
2. Sensenbrenner & Sperry 39.22
3. Hauer & Starr 36.51
4. Paolino & Lafornara 34.74
5. Malcolm & Ortonward 34.02
6. L'Esperance & Amdour 32.44
7. Dietrich & Urano 27.86
8. Lassiter & Anderson 27.30
9. Landis & Eckert 26.34
10. Valente & McKay 22.10

Rocker Foxtrot
1. Efimova & Zhao 19.66
2. Hauer & Starr 18.73
3. Sensenbrenner & Sperry 17.93
4. Paolino & Larfornara 17.26
5. Malcolm & Ortonward 15.97 (I missed this score initially, but if I do the math, this appears to be it).
6. L'Esperance & Amdour 13.90
7. Landis & Eckert 13.54
8. Lassiter & Anderson 13.36
9. Dietrich & Urano 12.19
10. Valente & McKay 11.61

European Waltz
1. Sensenbrenner & Sperry 21.29
2. Efimova & Zhao 21.20
3. Hauer & Starr 18.73
4. L'Esperance & Amdour 18.54
5. Malcolm & Ortonward 18.05
6. Paolino & Lafornara 17.48
7. Dietrich & Urano 15.67
8. Lassiter & Anderson 13.94
9. Landis & Eckert 12.44
10. Valente & McKay 10.49

Dobre

Juvenile Pattern Dance Scores:

Combined Pattern Dance Scores
1. Ilin & Cain 37.31
2. O'Brian & Wei 29.72
3. Epps & Gillman 26.87
4. Stapert & Korotcov 26.28
5. Mullen & Mullen 25.76
6. Monti & Monti 24.46
7. Lanata & Annis 21.72
8. Earle & Lissauer 20.80
9. Rodriguez & Young 17.13
10. Hsu & Ying 13.97

Willow Waltz
1. Ilin & Cain 17.11
2. O'Brian & Wei 15.08
3. Epps & Gillman 13.29
4. Mullen & Mullen 13.25
5. Stapert & Korotcov 12.66
6. Monti & Monti 10.94
7. Lanata & Annis 10.65
8. Earle & Lissauer 9.22
9. Rodriguez & Young 8.75
10. Hsu & Ying 6.85

European Waltz
1. Ilin & Cain 20.20 (Long delay before their score. I figure they got a "yes" on a keypoint;))
2. O'Brian & Wei 14.64
3. Stapert & Korotcov 13.62
4. Epps & Gillman 13.58
5. Monti & Monti 13.52
6. Mullen & Mullen 12.51
7. Earle & Lissauer 11.58
8. Lanata & Annis 11.07
9. Rodriguez & Young 8.38
10. Hsu & Ying 7.12

You mean there is no starting order published at the rink??
Yes, the starting orders for today were posted at the rink. I won't know the starting orders for tomorrow until I get there.

Dobre

A few highlights/thoughts from the intermediate & juvenile CDs yesterday:

-Efimova & Zhao. Nastia Efimova is definitely a little Russian diva. To be oh-not-so-subtle-about-it in their first CD she's totally channeling Navka. Right down to the cut-out side of the costume and the pink panther music. LOL. Zhao has wonderful expression, IMO. They're in that awkward Shib stage right now, where he has grown about a foot & a half taller than her; but I'm glad they've stuck together through it. Both really fun to watch.

-Interesting battle in intermediates between Efimova & Zhao, Sensenbrenner & Sperry, and Hauer & Starr. Split results already. Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds in the FD.

-Ilin & Cain. Cute factor. Looked like they were both thinking through the waltz, but they smiled bigger when they got right in front of the judges. LOL. She has the dramatic tango expression already though. Think she's really a natural. Best matching free legs in the juvenile event. Received giant black puppy. (To be followed by identical giant black puppies to all the teams from their club).

-Stapert & Korotcov. New partner for him, and I think will be more competitive. She's good: confident, emotes, & packaged to the hilt. Mini-Tanith.

-Epps & Gillman. Cute factor. She is the right discipline. There's just no doubt.

-Rodriguez & Young. Very little matching in the free legs, but just looked like they were genuinely having a blast the whole time.

euterpe

We know the Canadian NACS Novice participants from a Skate Canada announcement:

Isabel McQUILKIN / Jacob PORTZ
Mia SAUNDERS / William ODDSON
Kiera KAM / Mathew CARTER
Juliette SHADID / Lucas SHADID
Aya HAMMOND / Michael BARSOUM

But who are the US NACS Novice participants???

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you @Dobre for taking the time to type out unofficial results/scores and share your thoughts here. :)

Results photos from yesterday:

Intermediate PD 1 (Rocker Foxtrot): https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155753606997939/?type=3&theater

Intermediate Final standings after PD 2 (European Waltz): https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155753606937939/?type=3&theater

Juvenile PD 1 (Willow Waltz):
https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155753606917939/?type=3&theater

Juvenile Final standings after PD 2 (Fiesta Tango): https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155753607147939/?type=3&theater

But who are the US NACS Novice participants???
I assume the info will be shared by those who are in Lake Placid as soon as they are able to do so.

euterpe

Streaming of the event was horrible today. I finally had to give up. I hope it will be much, much better tomorrow.

vireo

My stream was fine today. No buffering or interruptions and acceptable audio and video quality.

Sylvia

TBD
Intermediate Free Dance results photo: https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155754901287939/?type=3&theater

Jenna Hauer / Benjamin Starr 53.97
Nastia Efimova / Jonathan Zhao 47.11
Giulia Paolino / Noah Lafornara 44.72
Hope Noelle Lassiter / Luke Anderson 42.07
Zoe Sensenbrenner / Matthew Sperry 41.44
Romy Malcolm / Davis Ortonward 49.88
Emma L'Esperance / Mika Amdour 36.33
Avery Landis / Kenny Eckert 32.91
Olivia Dietrich / Seiji Urano 32.01
Christine Valente / Alex McKay 28.26

Juvenile Free Dance results photo: https://www.facebook.com/icedancecom/photos/pcb.10155754822587939/10155754822397939/?type=3&theater

Caroline Mullen / Brian Mullen 38.89
Olivia Ilin / Dylan Cain 36.76
Jasmine Lanata / William Annis 33.30
Julia Epps / Blake Gilman 31.70
Annelise Stapert / Maxim Korotcov 31.68
Xenia Monti / Gaetano Monti 29.75
Lila Earle / William Lissauer 28.56
Anna Sophia O'Brien / Steven Wei 26.69
Mira Hsu / Nicholas Ying 21.10
Gabriella Rodriguez / Jonathan Young 18.35

Last edited:

Dobre

Entries for the regular Junior event:
Gropman & Somerville
Haines & Koszuta
DelCamp & Gart
Brown & Brown
Orihara & Royer (CAN)
Cesanek & Yehorov
Rose & Michel
Bratti & Usanov
The Purnells
Melton & O'Donnell

Entries for the regular Novice event:
Tkachenko & Kiliakov
Cain & Davidov
Foti & Bennett? (They competed today in the other novice competition)
Pride & Lawless (I know they are competing for another country, but I forget which at the moment)
Bronov & Kolosovski
Simmons & Naudzuns (I'm not 100% sure there is an "s" on the end of this last name)
Taylor & Vollmer
Miller & Bator

Dobre

NACS Novice Pattern Dance Results:
(Unofficial. Scores are just from my notes).

Combined Scores:
1. Lin & Sletten 49.63
2. McQuilkin & Portz 47.65
3. Hammond & Barsoum 40.10
4. Saunders & Oddson 37.79
5. Shadid & Shadid 36.29
6. Brown & Driscoll 36.00
7. Peal & Peal 34.73
8. Kam and Carter 34.34
9. Schaub & Haddad 30.38
10. Foti & Bennett 27.85

Starlight Waltz
1. Lin & Sletten 24.84
2. McQuilkin & Portz 23.61
3. Hammond & Barsoum 20.85
4. Saunders & Oddson 20.30
5. Brown & Driscoll 19.71
6. Peal & Peal 19.25
7. Kam & Carter 17.96
8. Shadid & Shadid 17.72
9. Schaub & Haddad 16.55 (fell toward the end)
10. Foti & Bennett 13.44

Argentine Tango
1. Lin & Sletten 24.79
2. McQuilkin & Portz 24.04
3. Hammond & Barsoum 19.25
4. Shadid & Shadid 18.57
5. Saunders & Oddness 17.49
6. Kam & Carter 16.38
7. Brown & Driscoll 16.29
8. Peal & Peal 15.48
9. Foti & Bennett 14.39
10. Schaub & Haddad 13.83

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Junior (domestic) Rhythm Dance starting order for Thursday (scheduled for 4:10-5:10 pm): https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155755493127939/?type=3&theater

Allie Rose / JT Michel
Molly Cesanek / Yegor Yegorov (new)
Katarina DelCamp / Maxwell Gart
Oona Brown / Gage Brown
Claire Purnell / Lucas Purnell

Bailey Melton / Ryan O'Donnell (new)
Jocelyn Haines / James Koszuta
Emily Bratti / Nikolay Usanov (new)
Yuka Orihara / Lee Royer (CAN, new)
Eliana Gropman / Ian Somerville

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
We know the Canadian NACS Novice participants from a Skate Canada announcement:

Isabel McQUILKIN / Jacob PORTZ
Mia SAUNDERS / William ODDSON
Kiera KAM / Mathew CARTER
Juliette SHADID / Lucas SHADID
Aya HAMMOND / Michael BARSOUM
(Unofficial) Combined Scores - North American Series Novice Pattern Dances:
1. Jordan Lin & Morgan Sletten (USA N10) 49.63
2. McQuilkin & Portz 47.65
3. Hammond & Barsoum 40.10
4. Saunders & Oddson 37.79
5. Shadid & Shadid 36.29
6. Maria Brown & Marius Driscoll (USA Int5) 36.00
7. Elliana Peal & Ethan Peal (USA Int1) 34.73
8. Kam and Carter 34.34
9. Kelsey Schaub & Anthony Haddad (USA Int8) 30.38
10. Sabrina Foti & Christian Bennett (USA Int7) 27.85 (eta: looks like 27.83 on results photo?)

USA teams & 2018 Nationals placements indicated above - thanks for the scores, @Dobre!

ETA link to NAS results photo after 2 Pattern Dances on Wednesday: https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155755763532939/?type=3&theater

Novice Pattern Dance #1 (Starlight Waltz) starting order for Thursday afternoon: https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155755763122939/?type=3&theater
Joseline Pretto Simmons, Indiv. Member / Dmitrijs Naudzuns, SC of Western NY
Elizabeth Tkachenko, Indiv. Member / Alexei Kiliakov, Washington FSC - cool clip of them practicing the Starlight Waltz: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlrB3Venrl3/?hl=en&taken-by=oniceperspectives
Katherine Bronov / Oleksandr Kolosovskyi, both IceWorks SC
Claire Cain / Andrei Davydov, both Washington FSC

Breelie Taylor, Atlanta FSC / Tyler Vollmer, Los Angeles FSC
Cordelia Pride, All Year FSC / Benjamin Lawless, Philadelphia SC & HS
Sabrina Foti, All Year FSC / Christian Bennett, FSC of Charlotte
Lauren Miller, Genesee FSC / Alexander Bator, All Year FSC

Novice Pattern Dance #2 (Paso Doble) starting order for Thursday afternoon:
https://www.facebook.com/icedanceco...47362597938/10155755763282939/?type=3&theater
Taylor/Vollmer, Pride/Lawless, Foti/Bennett, Miller/Bator /
Simmons/Naudzuns, Tkachenko/Kiliakov, Bronov/Kolosovskyi, Cain/Davydo

Last edited:

Dobre

Highlights/Thoughts from the Juvenile & Intermediate FDs:
(No time to edit this so my apologies for any typos)

Efimova & Zhao-Latin, which they perform very well. Nice twizzles in the footwork, arms overhead for him. But they had mistakes today, most notably missed the entrance of their dance spin (almost everyone in the intermediate FD had issues with the spin). E&Z did the whole spin afterward so they may have gotten credit for it anyway. Also had a trip or two elsewhere (program might be a bit too ambitious, but it's early in the season so we'll see how it develops). Great rotational lift.

Hauer & Starr-Minnie the Moocher (I believe). And the "digga doon" song. Very well skated today with confidence. Holding one foot up for a feature on their first set of twizzles. Cute program. More expression today. I think he is the diva of this team.

Paolino & Lafornara-Feel it Still. Music is slowed down/kept to a steady pace throughout. But it's a cute program and about right for their skill level. She has multi-colored dress. He has jeans with matching multi-colored patch on the butt.

Dietrich & Urano. Cute packaging. Slow period piece, then picks up for Dasvidanya. They are tall & well matched for each other. Brand new team and skill level is in early stages, but a nice pairing. Curious what they will look like in a year.

Juvenile FD:
(Can I just say that if you have never watched a juvenile FD competition, you are missing out! It should be illegal to have this much cuteness in one competition).

Rodriguez & Young. Suddenly Seymour (apparently from Little Shop of Horrors). Cute program--all the one song. Mirror twizzles. She fell after the first set. They're a very beginning level team but I just enjoyed that they so clearly enjoyed skating.

Epps & Gillman:
Me: "Here they come. She's ready to show how it's done. Even if he mucks up, she'll just skate in front & say, 'Don't worry about him. Watch me.' And if she mucks, up she'll just hop up and keep going & say, 'Watch me.'
Mom: "Here they come. His hair! He's a little Luca!"
Music starts: That's Amore.
Mom & Me: Oh my god! It's perfect!
;) They also used Marchei & Hotarek's Tu vuo fa l'americano. They don't do as much difficulty as some of the teams, stay within their grasp; but they perform their skills with flare & salesmanship. Just adorable. Whole crowd loved it. (Judges in front of me were all smiles).

Ilin & Cain:
Latin. OMG. Total commitment to the music. You just have to see this one live to get it. But you know they must have watched all those hot Latin SDs last seasons and said, "That's what we want to do!" And by golly, they've got the fast shake, shake intro and come back to it at the end.

Have more notes on more juvenile teams & novice CDs from yesterday but have to go to the rink now. Sorry!

Ugh. I am glad I didn't pay for it! I remember it was bad last year as well :-(

It was brilliantly clear last year for me for most of the competition, actually. The only day it didn't work last year was during the juvenile & intermediate CDs, while they were apparently working out the bugs. The year before, the stream had more stop & go issues, mostly during the senior FDs; but last year they were good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information