Yu-Na Kim News UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by RunnersHigh, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

Yuna did what she could. Let's not forget that Adelina was also over scored in the SP, too. Horrible judging.

2. bunhead

bunhead Member

Sorry I am laughing hysterically at that TR score for Yuna. I bet she hasn't seen that since she was 10 years old or something!

3. Kabooke

Kabooke Active Member

The Skating Lesson ‏@SkatingLesson 1h

Kim & Kostner paid for the sins of Alex Ovechkin and the hockey team

4. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I was really hoping that the Queen would make history and become a 2-time Olympic Ladies Champion, but she has nothing to be ashamed of, she gave it her best shot, and is now a 2-time Olympic Medalist (gold & silver), besides being a 2-time Sr. World Champion, Jr. World Champion, 4CC Champion, 3-time GPF Champion, 6-time Korean National Champion, and the list goes on & on ad infinitum. She's honestly in a class by herself. One of the GIANTS in the sport. An Immortal, right along with Sonja Henie and Katarina Witt.

Here's hoping she saves herself and comes back for the Olympics in her home country in 2018. She's still young enough to win an unprecedented 3rd Olympic Medal, which hasn't been done since Sonja Henie did it in 1936 (the same way Evgeni Plushenko did it in 2010 and now 2014). :smokin: :)

5. Alwaysaway

Alwaysaway New Member

This result completely ruined my day and I can't even say I'm a huge Yuna fan. Ugh. It makes me so mad. Sotnikova was a raindrop away from beating Kim's world record. It's just inexplicable. Even with the long-gone SpSq points it would still have been stretching the very fabric of reality.

I'd love to see her back again too, but she seems dead set on retirement. Whatever makes her happy.

6. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I believe it was also payback for the Americans winning ice dance in Russia (the biggest slap in the face for Russians.)

7. princeton123

princeton123 New Member

None of the Russian ice dancers ever had a chance though.......

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

And I think they were mad about that.

9. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

This, and even more so after Lipnitskaia failed to deliver.

10. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. Once Lipnitskaia had her troubles, they had to do something and Adelina got huge marks... and yeah, the hockey team losing could have played a part. I don't care what people say, judging is influenced by things beyond the actual skating and this result proves it.

I think both Yuna and Carolina were robbed. I can't say I think Yuna should have beaten Carolina, either/or would have been fine because both skated lovely programs and had good jumps, but Adelina winning is just beyond my comprehension.

11. crs

crs New Member

12. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She might always be the only lady to give 4 clean performances at an Olympic Games, and I think if she didn't deserve the gold here then the one who did was Carolina Kostner. I felt that both Kim and Kostner should've gotten a lot more 10's than what were given in relation to Sotnikova's PCS marks. Also +5's when you compare the same triple lutz/triple toe combination they opened with. Every single judge IMO should've given Yuna a 10 for performance/execution, skating skills, and interpretation when you compare to every mark every judge gave Adelina. It's not worth getting mad over because of how obvious it is, Yuna gave the performances needed to solidfy herself as probably the all-time best and that's what she needed more than another OGM.

She left everything on the ice and has absolutely no what-if's. She can still be a champion and be proud knowing that she didn't make the decision and now she will forever have the complete and total respect of the entire sport of figure skating. She was a fierce queen at this competition and I don't think I will ever be more impressed with a ladies competitor than I am Yuna Kim. :glamor:

13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I think it is sad that Mao had her disaster short because IMHO, her long program was the program of the night and if she had skated later, her marks would have been even higher... Yuna and Carolina should both be proud to have skated such wonderful programs under such pressure. They lost to home town crowd pressuring the results.

14. Edgecase

Edgecase New Member

I am disappointed with the result too, but what irks (but doesn't surprise) me is that at the flower ceremony there should have been a huge ovation for Yuna, or some show of more respect for all she has done for our sport. Why did the crowd have to hold back? Adelina had already won.

15. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

The crowd has been awful throughout the entire Olympics. Neither D/W nor V/M received standing ovations despite all of their programs being far, far better than any of the other competitors. :mad:

16. Alwaysaway

Alwaysaway New Member

I love how expecting accountability for scoring now makes you a sore loser. Of course Adelina has stronger skating skills than Yuna, it's there on the protocol duh. Willful naivete among figure skating fans - the sport known as much for countless suspensions due to collusion scandals as it is for tiny girls in sequinned dresses - is too precious at this point.

17. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

btw, when yuna was interviewed.. she was dignified as always.. never say anything bad at anyone... she even said that sotnikova is a natural talent..

as always the queen is gracious in defeat.. :) though the entire korea is depressed..

18. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

At least they have short track speed skating... ooops, they didn't do well this year.

19. Glide2

Glide2 Member

agree totally about Mao. Don't think the crowd pressured the results, I'm sure they were predetermined.

^^ this.

20. Shaia

Shaia Active Member

The trophy may go to a local favorite teenager of the host country, which has billions of dollars at stake, but Yuna, Mao and Carolina all showed that they are true champions.

21. ros01

ros01 New Member

The overscoring of both Russian ladies throughout the competition was ridiculous. What irks me more is those saying that Yuna was careful or skated not to lose. Frankly, I didn't see it, and I think programs that are a little more intricate and less obviously triumphant always get tagged with this. I agree that Adelina had that aggressiveness that crowds often like at an Olympics, and Yuna's tango does not have that uplifting ending (not that this crowd would have cheered it anyway). Adelina had a wonderful skate, no doubt one of her best ever, but the GOEs and PCS were so inflated that I can't even bring myself to argue.

That being said, Yuna was wonderful, and gracious in defeat. I wish her all the best. I think her fans can take a lot of comfort in her performance and what a classy lady she is.

22. usethis2

usethis2 New Member

I watched Yuna's SP 4th time (my DVR did not record the FS) and still in disbelief that such a magnificent program was treated as equal to Adelina's. I personally think "Send in the Clowns" is the best SP ever produced in Olympics, and it's also better than Yuna's famed SP program of 2009 "Danse Macabre." I do not accept the legitimacy of this Olympic's judging.

23. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I am so impressed with how Yuna has handled this madness. What a lady. :) She's above it, it's almost as if she thinks this outcry is funny and it's making her silver probably look a whole lot prettier. :D

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Yuna!! she was really amazing!!!

25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

don't worry there's still 2018.. :p and most of their short track skaters are very young.. ;)

besides you never know.. yuna might comeback.. :lol:

26. BusyMom

BusyMom New Member

I hope she'll be back in 2018. Together with Mao, they can finish this once and for all. That will be sweet for all skaters' fan.

27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:D

28. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

looking back at her career..

it's unbelievable really that yuna came from a country without any figure skating background and literally carried her country every time she skates.. and managed to be successful at it..even how the politics behind close door.. and the whole subjectivity of it.. if there's any miracle on ice.. that will be her..

29. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Not since Henie has any lady been able to turn medals into fame and fortune so successfully. Like with Kerrigan and Kwan, both of whom were visible and quoted this year, living well will be the best revenge. Baiul is still tabloid feuding with those who made her, and what's up with Hughes? Is she in a witness protection program or something? Kim will have a very good next 4 years.

30. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Well I mean she's a bigger star in South Korea than any skater has been in their home countries. And she won the Olympic gold already. This was just a cherry on top