Wine

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by myhoneyhoney, Feb 17, 2011.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

A long time friend of mine had opened up an entirely new world to me: wine. I'm lucky enough to live where the Napa Valley and Livermore wineries are just minutes away from home. I really can't remember the names of the wines I've tasted but I do know that I tend to like reds best. I started wine tasting just a couple weeks ago so I'm very new at this and am still learning the lingo, how to "taste" the wine, etc.

Now how about you? Is there a particular type that you like? Reds? Whites? Do you have a favorite brand? List away!

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My first wine revelation experience was a long time ago when I tried the Coppola Rubicon (forgot the exact vintage, early 90s). I had a glass of that and all of a sudden realized what all the brouhaha was all about. It was so complex and interesting and delicious.

Another eye opening experience was in NYC at a bar where I had a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc (forgot the maker and the vintage) which is now my favorite white.

Unfortunately, I can't drink California reds--instant headache. Ironically, with all the food Nazis residing in North Cal, the wine is full of sulfites and other things that cause headaches. So when it comes to reds, it's gotta be imported.

One of my favorite Italian wines is Amarone, more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarone

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I can't drink the California reds either. I get a rash.

4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I live in Silicon Valley and have gotten into wine too! :psoty:

Peggy Fleming and husband Dr. Greg Jenkins have their own winery and tasting room in downtown Los Gatos, complete with Peggy's Olympic chartreuse dress in a display case. :cheer2: I stopped by there before Skate America to have a few bottles shipped up to Portland for our FSU party. We enjoyed the following bottles from Fleming Jenkins and others:

Fleming Jenkins 2008 Jenkins Vineyard Chardonnay
    Fleming Jenkins 2006 Napa Valley "Choreography" Cabernet blend
    Fleming Jenkins 2009 "Victories" Rosé
    Windy Oaks 2008 Estate Pinot Noir, Cuvée
    Merry Edwards 2007 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

I was also fortunate to attend an educational seminar where Dr. Jenkins was the guest speaker (Peggy was away in NYC that week though :wuzrobbed ) and got to meet him and have a quick chat - very nice guy and eager to educate. :respec:

Separately, I attended the Livermore Shakespeare Festival at Concannon Vineyards and tasted everything on offer. Not an expert here, but everything seemed darn good to me. ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. znachki

znachki Active Member

I'm a red wine drinker generally. I am not an expert by any means. One varietal that I like is made from the nero d'avola grape. Generally these are Sicilian. I've also had some Portuguese reds that are very good - but not always widely available.

As for the whites - which I seldom drink, I like a pinot grigio (gris). Sauvignon blanc is ok too. I thought for a long time that I detested chardonnay. But I discovered that what I detest is the oak. That's what gives it the "cat-pee" taste that some people talk about. Un-oaked chardonnays are pretty good. If you can find them. I think there are more out there than there used to be, but it might be hard to find by the glass at a resaurant.

Of course I live in Washington State and our liquor laws are horrible, so sometimes we just can't get things. Wine is easier than spirits, but still.

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I like white wine.
    I like wine from Trader Joe's Wine shop because I'm cheap and not super picky. :shuffle:

7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Me too. I'm easy. I drink 2 buck chuck casually with dinners at home because I don't feel like I am blowing too much :bribe:

I mostly like medium reds and whites like chardonnay. I also like free wine. I am lucky that I have a wine-obsessed friend that has his own cellar and likes to invite us over for free food and wine. :swoon:

I have been known to drink too much champagne...:nopryde:

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

UMBS GO BLUE brought some very, very yummy wines to Portland.

I was lucky enough to be on a consulting gig in Iowa years ago with an older consultant who happened to be a huge Bordeaux fan. Simultaneously, Iowa shut down wine sales at their state-run package stores, and bombed out their inventory at about 25 cents on the dollar.

I got quite the education in Bordeauxs (but apparently not in how to pluralize them) -- unfortunately I cannot afford them these days. But yum.

I like central coast chardonnays, and almost anything in the way of red wines as long as they're not too sweet or too taninny. I used to like more white wines, but I find a lot of them "thin" or "sour" now that I drink more red wine.

9. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

I'm in love with wines from the Bordeaux region of France. Heavy, full-bodied, dry and oak-y ... wines you have to chew to enjoy. :) When the 2005 vintage went on sale, I bought a bunch to save until peak drinkability (and until my stupid, stainable clear braces come off). So far, only 6 bottles remain. And they haven't peaked yet. :slinkaway

10. jadingirl

jadingirl Member

I agree with IceAlisa about Amarone being a very good wine.

I also like the Cabernet Sauvignon (sp?) from Chile like Santa Carolina and Gato Negro

11. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I like ice wine :shuffle:

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I've been on a Malbec kick recently. I enjoy most red wines and prefer them to white. Sometimes whites give me a headache. However, my favorite white wine would have to be a pinot grigio.

13. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Reislings are my favorites, although I like White Zin as well. Not a fan of dry whites or any reds.

14. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Not a wine drinker, although the rare occasions I go to Olive Garden or some other place that gives free samples, I'll try whatever they offer. The only one I have found that I consistently like is Chateau St. Michelle Reisling. Not sure why.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Someone used to have a really amazing thread on here about wines. I don't have time right now, you should try a few searches.

16. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I love wine. One of my favorites is the Coppola Claret. I had a friend who was a wine distributor, and she gave me a bottle for my birthday years ago. It's almost always my choice when I'm giving a bottle of wine as a gift.

I also really love the Coppola Pinot Noir.

17. myhoneyhoney

oh, I'm going to have to try the ones you all have listed! Thank you. Since I'm so new at this I'm thinking of checking out some books from the library to educate myself more. Of course I also believe that there's really nothing better than hands on so that means LOTS of wine tasting too!

18. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

mpal2?? ;)

19. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Yes, I was just coming here to post that mpal2 created a nice thread about wine. Unfortunately for a few, it's in the Sekret Sources section.

Or one could take a look through this thread from last year for ideas.

20. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I prefer semi-dry or dry wines. Aside from the amazing wine I had in Italy, I'm a huge fan of Prairie Fume from Wollersheim Winery in Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin.

21. jl

jl Well-Known Member

mpal2 really did have the authority on wine tasting.

I used to work in a wine research centre. That was fun.

'jl, we need you to run a 3mL sample of this 750mL bottle of wine to see how much sugar, alcohol, etc. are in it.'
    'sure, can do John [the grad student I worked with]... what do you want me to do with the rest of it?'
    'well, there's no use for it in the lab, so you can take it home.'
    'are you serious?!?'
    'quite. in fact, we encourage it, because Danie [the other grad student] and I got kind of tired of drinking these bottles.' :lol:

I have a pretty strong base in BC wines. I like our whites, because they're usually kind of austere and a little mineral in flavor, and have a crispness. A little like German whites but not as sweet. Reds here are so hit and miss.

I'm looking forward to when I turn 40. Apparently then, the 12-case of 2009 Chateau Montrose I bought will be mature. :lol: I'm not 100% sure if I had a bad bottle, but the 2002 Chateau Hosanna almost turned me off of Bordeaux and St Emilion to start, since it tasted like the negative points of both cab sauv and merlot.

If you live in Cali, I think one of the better deals for a cheap white is Fetzer Gewurztraminer. I think it's like $5-10 in Cali since it's grown there and it is quite a sugary white that has a lot of citrus to it. Very good with spicy foods and Asian fare. :)

Wine, wine, wine... :rollin:

22. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I like all wines--white, red, dry, sweet, but I like them in cycles. For the longest time, I drank only reds, especially La Crema Pinot Noir :swoon: A few years ago, Whole foods introduced me to Proseco, and since then, I've been on a white wine kick.

I've found there's little to no correlation between price and taste for me. My favorite Shiraz is an Australian brand that costs $7.99, but I've never found a cheap champagne (champagne from France champagne) meaning under $50.00 that I've found palatable. OTOH, my favorite Cava (Spanish version of the "champagne method) is typically nine dollars, and I buy it at Wal-Mart. (Yes, in Louisiana, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, and Walgreens all sell alcohol.)

Recently, I joined a wine meet-up group, and I like a lot of them, except the organizer. :lol: She's kind of a snot, and she told me that white wine is fine for a week-day night, but unless it's champagne or eating certain fish dishes, TRUE wine connosieurs drink red. Is this true? Is red considered the gold standard of wine, save champagne? I mean, even if she's right and it is, I'm still always going to drink the cheapest, sweetest white wine I can find just to annoy her, but I've never heard that before.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Please. Hubby and I went on a gazillion wine tasting tours and every time the person leading it would say that it's really about what YOU like. There are some very lovely whites out there and if she doesn't appreciate it, that's her loss.

And there's plenty of crappy champagne out there too.

24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I don't enjoy champagne particularly, but the winery tour at Domaine Carneros (located between Napa and Sonoma in the southern part of the county) was remarkable. (And they're very careful to call it sparkling wine, not Champagne.) Having small tasting glasses of champagne while eating some really nice cheese on their patio was spectacular.

25. myhoneyhoney

Barbk, I really enjoy drinking sparkling wines, they're fun. I'm going to have to try and visit Domaine Carneros sometime. My gosh, the chateau looks gorgeous!

I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm not able to contribute in this thread considering I started it, but I am enjoying reading everyone's posts!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I love sparkling wine. I used to always go for champagne, but my friend and I were at a fabulous restaurant in Athens, GA and they were out of the champagne on the menu. So, they offered us a bottle of prosecco. I buy prosecco just about every time I go to Whole Foods now.

I tend to drink red wine during the winter/early spring and white and sparkling during the late spring into the early part of fall.

27. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I'm not big into wine, although I certainly try. Whites are what I like, and I can honestly say I haven't tried a red that I liked even remotely. But maybe that's because I like sweet as opposed to dry.

My favorite that I've come across is Relax. Yeah, it's a cheaper wine, but it's good.

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I looove Proseco. I always pick up a bottle at Trader Joe's.

29. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I sometimes wish I didn't live in a such puritanical state so I could buy my wine in the grocery store. :lol:

30. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Catena, from Argentina I believe. Widely available and yummy. I always have a few bottles at home.