Which man will be crowned the 2011 Swedish national champion?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by siberia82, Dec 6, 2010.

?

Which man will be crowned the 2011 Swedish national champion?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2010.
  1. Kristoffer Berntsson

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Adrian Schultheiss

35 vote(s)
    54.7%
  3. Alexander Majorov

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Who do you think has the best chance of making it the top of the podium? Berntsson, the defending champ, had subpar results in his last 3 competitions (even by his own headcase standards), most likely because he's stretching himself too thin by having to split his time between his Master's thesis and a part-time job in addition to his training. Schultheiss recently changed coaches and currently has a groin injury. Majorov doesn't have a consistent 3A, but he did beat Kristoffer at the Ice Challenge. It's too bad that Adrian had to withdraw of the NRW Trophy because I would've liked to see how he would have fared against Sasha (who won the event).

The Swedish men have 2 spots for both Euros and Worlds, and I wonder if Majorov might be able to move ahead of one of his seasoned teammates.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I like what I've seen of Adrian Schultheiss. Too bad he is injured. I hope he recovers well and can reclaim his season.

3. luCN

luCN New Member

I really love Berntsson,hope he can get a good result and make the World team...

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I think Schultheiss will take it, unless he has been rattled by his coaching change and/or Majorov's gotten better nerves.

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Berntsson is done, he really doesn't have much to offer anymore. Schultheiss will win.

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ That's ridiculous. He's training, competing, working part-time, and studying for a Master's degree in a very difficult subject. So he's had a particularly bad season. So what? He's bounced back from less than stellar seasons and still won the national title. As for your claim that he no longer has much to offer, that's just idiotic. He's a very creative, entertaining skater who could have a good career doing shows should he decide to do that.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

:respec: It could be any of the 3 winning, really hard to call. But either way, Kris' SP is gorgeous. He has a lot to offer, in all areas of life. I'd happily be his wifey. :D

8. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

If he's "done" in skating, it's not so much because of his age, but a lack of training time due to other priorities in his life. Of the 3 Swedes, Kris probably has the least amount of mileage behind his programs, so that may hurt him at Nationals, but Adrian isn't in tip-top shape due to his injury. After losing to Sasha at the Ice Challenge, Berntsson must know that he's in danger of placing out of the Top 2, and I assume he will fight that much harder to get back on the World team. His chances of winning are probably slimmer than his teammates, but it's not impossible.

Absolutely! Kristoffer was such a joy to watch when I attended SC last month. :cheer: It didn't matter than he ran out of steam during his free skate; the Canadian crowd screamed like crazy at just about everything he did!

I totally agree, and I'm so happy that I got to see it in person! :encore: "Comptine d'un autre été" was my 2nd favourite Men's SP at SC. During the bold commentary, PJ Kwong and David Pelletier complimented Berntsson's engaging performance despite his costly mistakes. :)

I would too! Such brains, talent and beauty! :swoon:

Unfortunately for the both of us, Kris has a steady girlfriend, and the lucky lady may even be his fiancé now (there's a recent picture on his official website where he's wearing what I believe to be an engagement ring.)

9. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Did Adrian switch coaches? to whom? I've missed this news.... and skatesweden.se gives me no info!

Love all three boys, always have, always will!! can't really say who'll be swedish champion, but a voice in my head says Adrian will grab the title...

does anyone know how Majorovs 3a is doing?

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I've never seen Majorov, so I can't vote.
    My favorite is Kristoffer, so much talent ! I hope to see him again at the best !

11. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

13. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

14. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

15. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:( I hope he recovers in time for nationals.

16. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I've been informed by one of the photojournalists on AbsoluteSkating.com that Sasha's goal this season is to have a good placement at Junior Worlds. If he finishes in the Top 2 at Nationals, though, will the Swedish federation consider sending Majorov to senior Worlds instead? I don't know how the politics would work, so I hope someone can enlighten me.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  17. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

What I saw in Finlandia Trophy in October, he had lots to offer.:kickass:

18. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Härryda-Posten.se published a a short interview with Kristoffer earlier today (though the photo they chose isn't very flattering :rolleyes:): http://www.harrydaposten.se/nyhet_visa.asp?id=721&sidnamn=Sport Google Translate did a weird job translating the text into English, so although I understand the main points of the article, the finer details elude me because some of the translated sentences don't make much sense. (For example, "som att sätta de hoppen som är med i programmet" becomes "such as getting the shop which is included in the program". :confused:)

TV4 had a brief video interview with Alexander Majorov (he's too young for me, but I have to admit that he's cute! ;)): http://www.tv4play.se/nyheter_och_debatt/nyheterna_lulea?title=isdansare_till_sm&videoid=1175108 I would greatly appreciate it if a Swedish speaker translated this news clip into English for me.

19. Veronica

Veronica Member

Quick translation:

He's 19 years old and one of the best figure skaters in Sweden. Today he and five other skaters from Luleå travels down to Malmö to participate in the Swedish national championships that starts on Thursday and continues the whole weekend. If he finishes first or second he is likely to be one of two who will be representing Sweden at euros and worlds, and he says that he has become better and should have a chance at beating his main competitors, both hailing from Gothenburg.

Majorov: Since I have skated a lot this season I have developed a new style in my skating, it's broader, I can't explain how for those who doesn't skate but other figure skaters understand what I mean. I don't rush on the ice, I try to stretch all my movements, I try to, I don't know, skate nicely.

Interviewer: You seem calm, it's a big competition, isn't it?

Majorov: Nationals is not that big, for me any way. I'm more focused on worlds, that is real worlds and euros that's big, nationals is the sort of competition that we usually have in Sweden, there's not a big audience, it's important but it's not big, you could say.

Interviewer: So than one must hope that you win that ticket to the next level then.

Majorov: Yes, I have to do it.

20. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Thanks a lot for your help, Veronica! :respec:

I found a short article on Sasha from Kuriren.nu (hmmm, could he be the favourite heading into this competition?): http://www.kuriren.nu/nyheter/default.aspx?articleid=5700912 Google Translate does a better job here with the English translation than on Berntsson's interview.

21. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I really love Berntsson's SP from this season. It is so much voidier and crazier than last year even though he uses the same music.
    And I also really like Schultheiß. I never thought Romeo and Juliet would fit him but he has done a great job with it, IMO. It is a stretch for him to do something classical but he did it and he even added something new to the theme which I hadn't thought would be possible for such a beaten-to-death-music.
    Majorov has great potential for sure but isn't there yet. He could be the surprise winner if Berntsson's nerves and lack of training get the better of him and Schultheiß bombs but I wouldn't count on it.
    Therefore, my money is on Schultheiß.

22. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

23. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I know I'm not allowed to post spoilers during the competition, but after watching the live stream for the short program, it looks like one of these guys may have knocked himself out of the gold medal position. :shuffle:

24. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

:rofl: :scream:

25. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

A lot of the people who voted on this poll were quick to label Berntsson as "too old", a "has-been", etc., but they forget that he has a knack for skating better than his rivals at Nationals. ;)

SVT had a news report on the Swedish Championships, which included brief interviews with Sasha and Koffe, plus clips of the Top 3 men's long programs: http://svtplay.se/v/2274812/konstakning/kristoffer_berntsson_bast_i_sverige

As always, an English translation is greatly appreciated! :)