What university course should I take?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gazpacho, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I work for a university, and one of the benefits is that I get to take one course (non-credit) for free each semester. I can't decide what course to take. Any suggestions?

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I am green with envy. What interests you? Science, history, art, literature etc...?

3. Gazpacho

Well, tons of things interest me. That's why I can't decide! :)

4. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

You get to do it non-credit? Grrr. I have to take mine for credit and subject myself to a grade.

What kinds of things do you want to do? I take things that interest me--sociology, psychology, geography, humanities, etc. Language classes are very popular. Exercise is THE most popular hands down; I do that, too, and the faculty/staff locker room is always mobbed.

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I love art classes, especially ones like pottery, printmaking, stained glass — anything I couldn't do at home. Art classes are also less focused on grades/papers and more on the experience/creation.

I probably "need" to take a finance course, though it does not interest me in the least.

6. Gazpacho

I thought about that but then realized that I can take it those courses at the adult school for $200 or so. I also thought about Spanish or another foreign language, but I can take that at the adult school too.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I was about to say Spanish. Can't go wrong with that. And save the $200.

8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

mpal's community college offers non-credit classes in wine/cheese tastings. Can you find one of those? :lol:

9. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

No idea what your interests are, but if I had that kind of opportunity, I'd probably go with something like architecture - a class I never took as a Psychology & English major, but that I've always been curious about. (But my drawing skills, or lack thereof, would mean I'd be happy not to have to take it for a grade).

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Go for something totally obscure, that you would never think to take...

11. Gazpacho

That's what I've been thinking too. Another thought is to take the courses that I did really poorly in during college (physics, organic chemistry) to prove to myself that I'm not really dumb in those regards. But what if I am? :lol:

12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Oh, only $200! ;)

13. Gazpacho

Well, the free course at the university is worth about $1000, so I'd like to get my money's worth.

14. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

There's a website called Coursera where you can sign up to take online courses for free. It's pretty cool.

15. Angelskates

You've just inspired me Gaz, and I've just enrolled to do another bachelor degree (bachelor of arts - at the moment, wanting to major in art history, but maybe politics and history, or maybe religion studies). Completely different to my previous studies (bachelor of social science, graduate diploma in primary education, masters in special education and masters in applied linguistics) and completely different to my field (working with children special needs, and their families and schools). I'm really excited! Italy really got me more interested in art and history, and when I just told my folks, they were totally unsurprised! (I actually love studying). :cheer2: Thanks for the reminder to actually do something about it!

ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

How about something that's a stretch, but might inform part of your real life? Pharmacology? Something in health administration that deals with Federal regulation? Nutrition science? Traffic management?

17. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Ask around what kind of fields the university is known for. It's always safe to go with the finest classes they can provide.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I always wanted to take an anthropology course, but could never fit one into my schedule. So I would just find the syllabus each semester and read the books on it.

I have to second the art classes though- I bet they are more involved than continuing ed would be.

19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I have this same benefit at the university where my husband works. I've taken a pre-history course, and several Spanish classes. I also took an introductory MIS class, although I've taken those before and used to work in IT, just to refresh my knowledge, as it's been over 10 years since I worked in the field.

My thought is that you should go through their course catalogue and if there's anything in there that interests you, circle it. Then narrow it down from there, keeping in mind if there's anything you've ever wanted to learn, or skills you want to improve or refresh.

You get to take non-credit classes as well? I only get to take those offered for credit.

20. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I always tell myself I'm going to do that, too, but then I will see something that sounds a lot more interesting than, say, finance.

I've taken a few classes because they were beneficial for my job--deathly dull small group psychology comes to mind :p--but I really just don't want to take classes because I should. Been there, done that, would rather do things I actually enjoy thinking about.

At this point, I am thinking about getting a Geography degree; I really like Geography, as it combines a lot of fields that I enjoy. I would like to take a class called Technology and the Human Condition at some point because I keep hearing what a great course it is. I would like to take music classes, too, and take up the piano or guitar again.

So many classes, so little time. It just depends on what you want to subject yourself to--and you will be subjecting yourself, because no matter how interesting the class, there will be times when you remember why you thought school was tedious the first time around.

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

This will sound weird, but I would love to re-take some math classes (trigonometry, calculus, whatever). I was always decent in math, to the extent that I took enough classes in high school for college credit that I didn't need to take any math in college, and I did ok, but didn't get everything I could have out of it. I chose not to take elective math in college, and my major and minor were both in the humanities, which I loved, don't get me wrong. But I think back to some of my high school classes and the teachers going through all the proofs for the different theorems and I wish I could do all that again and pay attention this time. Like, now that I'm an adult I finally understand what they meant when they said math teaches you how to think. I think taking more math probably would've helped me in law school actually.

I find learning math similar to learning language in a way - it's all about learning complex rules and being able to apply them instinctively. In a similar vein, I really enjoyed taking Formal Logic in college, so I would recommend that, or any philosophy courses.

22. znachki

znachki Active Member

I always say, if you love literature, don't take a college lit class.:cool:

That's not strictly true, of course, but you know what I mean. I'd love a class in Textual Studies for instance.

I enjoyed the survey type classes I took in geography, oceanography, and geology (Yay rocks for jocks!). I clearly was not a science major.

Comparative History of Ideas would be cool.

However even though my major - which was an interdisciplinary degree - was concentrated in history, I'd be all over more history. I always want to know more.

I'd like courses in Indian History (as in India), or the US in the late 18th & early 19th Century or any of those time betwen the major events - what all was going on between the Revolution and the Civil War, or between the Civil War and WWI. Unless you get deeper than High School, most people haven't had much of that.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

When I was still keeping my French in working order, I took a few Alliance Française lit course--they were fun, made so by the great instructor, a lovely person, a wonderful teacher, very snarky yet kind. I loved these classes.

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

French language immersion program: Off to France you go! :p

25. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

You might investigate what professors are highly recommended and see if they're teaching any courses for your preferred semester. I don't know if the students of your institution use http://ratemyprofessors.com, but it could be a starting point.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Gazpacho

Okay, so I've looked through the course catalog and have narrowed it down to this list. I'm not guaranteed enrollment in any of these because students naturally get priority, and some I may not be eligible for because of prerequisites or admission requirements. I know I'm not eligible for Intro to Nursing, for example. Some classes I had been considering won't work with my schedule. This are all intro classes except for Organic Chemistry. Any thoughts?

Architectural Design--Big time commitment (12 lecture/lab hours a week!), but it seems interesting.

Community Planning

Japanese--This is one language that isn't offered in the adult school. I was interested in Russian, but they don't offer it.

Interior Design

Organic Chemistry--Almost failed in college and want to prove to myself that I can do it. There is a lecture section and a lab section. The lab section isn't compatible with my work schedule, but I think that's okay. My concern is that it's been a loooooong time since I've taken Intro Chemistry. How important is intro Chemistry for Organic Chemistry?

Physics--Almost failed in high school and almost failed again in college and want to prove to myself that I can do it. Still remember basic calculus but not advanced stuff. How important would that be?

27. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Interesting that you've got so many classes you want to take just to prove you can.

That's partly why I'm doing a thesis in my current master's program - because I didn't finish the thesis with the last MA. I want to make sure I can. So far, so good. I'm getting more help this time.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I'd be leaning towards Interior Design, because I am so interior design challenged, but I love the feeling of a well put together home. Similar thing with Community Planning, but also it fits in with my work. Or maybe Japanese.

I tried playing on an adult volleyball league because I was the kid who was always picked last for the team and I wanted to get over my fear of team sports. Supposedly the people in this league were nice. But all they did was confirm my fears. I have decided life is too short to do something I'm rotten at. :)

28. Angelskates

I'd go for either of the design courses, or Japanese. But I didn't fail physics or organic Chemistry :lol: I think I'd go for something creative, because I'd find it more enjoyable.

Did you like physics or organic chemistry?

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I like that you want to challenge yourself with previous classes that you found difficult. But the design classes sound so interesting to me. The choice is personal---let us know what you decide.

30. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for sharing the link. Found a course on there that looks pretty interesting. :)

Learning to program:

https://www.coursera.org/#course/programming1