What do the Shibs need to do?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

They are still young. They have time to develop. Their bronze at worlds last year was a fluke. They are still developing and after the retirement of V&M and D&W their turn will come.

2. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Since the ISU has signalled that hiphop is an OK style (it is now featued in the Junior ice dance SD), I'd like to see the Shibs do a hiphop FD. It would be great with their quick feet, and the lack of romance wouldn't be any problem at all.

Or maybe skate to something like Men Without Hats "Safety Dance"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

By curiosity, I watched their Compulsories from 2006 to 2009. It seems they have personnality, at least, she is better than him and seems to have more personnality. I'm surprised their programs as senior don't show any !

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Interesting idea.

5. DORISPULASKI

It's a Canadian band, and of course, worlds are in Ontario...

Another Men without Hats dance number that might work is Pop Goes The World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUUtf7gOe8

The video even has a pseudo skating pond in it ;)

6. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thank you for posting these videos--I hadn't seen all of these performances before. I just love the ease with which they use their blades...such pure technique.

I also enjoyed the bit with the samba basic, and Tracy Wilson loved that part too. Alex was channeling Corky Ballas, I thought. Samba was great for them as a brother-sister team, because it isn't necessarily romantic in its nature.

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I like the final part of there SD this year. It was fast, dancing and funny.
    I like Shibs Japan OD - they were on fire.
    I think in there age they need to do something like this.
    I think they could made good work with Platov. His work with brother-sister team were really great!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  8. DORISPULASKI

Maia has just been accepted to UMich, so Platov as a coach is not likely to happen. Going to Platov for choreo might be a good thing though; he did a great job for the Kerrs. Peter Tchernyshev also did choreo for Kerrs.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

If they will not change something, they could be out of the podium at next season. H-D were not so far and they skate only 1 season together, so they will improve.
    C-B are team who could improve a lot in next season.
    So Shibs have choice- they want to be skaters or they want to be studience more.

10. Judy

Judy New Member

I think this is a young team that just needs some time and experience.

11. elif

elif Active Member

yes i think they are technically not very good. (lifts and other elements very very good actually.) i mean their stepsq didn't look fast and big, especially in SD. and their skating looks little apart to me, even in the dance holds. maybe exceptional one are V&M. they are skating close.

İn the Shibs FD a lot of holds like they did at 2.07 i don't know its supposed to like that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzS4ydTBfd0

my first language isn't english. sorry if i did a mistake.:)

12. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Putting on the Former Dance Judge hat, their skating skills and basics are sublime - not sure what else to say about that. It's the choreo and stylistic growth that needs help, as many others have mentioned. I love the idea of trying Platov for choreo.

13. martyross

martyross Active Member

i've read multiple times on this board that Zoueva and Shpilband dont want/allow their students to get outside choreography. if it's true, it's very frustrating. im not a fan of Schibutanis nor Davis-White, but its always a pity to see much talent being wasted this way. even though both teams are most likely fine with her artistic guide.
    i hope Worlds were a wake up call for Zoueva, as it seems that Krylova and Camerlengo are the real coaching stars now.

14. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Would I be young, I'd go instantly to Carol Lane. I have a feeling one of her teams is gonna be the next "it" and her school with it. I see noone else with fresher ideas than hers.

15. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Sit out for the year it takes to switch countries, then represent Japan in the Olympic year. I was totally joking when I thought of that, but if they actually did do that, they could have an excellent shot at an OGM in the team event.....

16. missysays

missysays Active Member

I second this. With the technical difficulty that they've gained from being with Zoueva and Shpilband, the next important thing is to find the right package.

I thought one of the most charming FDs this year was Gilles/Poirier's Imagine/Sweet Dreams FD. Granted it was conceived by Chris Dean- but still the other programs coming out of that group have the same originality -plus allowing outside choreographers is always a plus in terms of letting new ideas flow in.

17. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

best Idea of them all
    Compete for Japan ! :cool:

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Will USA federation lets them to switch country?
    I think they need to learn a lot off things, improve there skating and presentetion. They are so young - they have to do this.

19. taz'smum

taz'smum Active Member

I believe that they would have to sit out 2 seasons if they are switching countries under recent-ish ISU rule changes.

20. beebee

beebee Active Member

Please don't take it the wrong way, but are you saying this seriously or jokingly? I'm assuming the latter.

21. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I agree that the Lane group has some of the freshest ideas. The programs coming out of that camp are some of the only ones that surprise me in both concept, music choices, and movement.

Not sure what the Shibs necessarily have to do. But I have a music idea! I love imagining them skating to Howl's Moving Castle theme song by Joe Hisiashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owddukdxFv4

22. beebee

beebee Active Member

I am clearly missing something. I'd love to see Ralph and Hill leave and don't recommend the Shibutanis go there.

23. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Singles skaters have to wait two years, but I believe pair/ dance skaters only have to wait one. Because they have Japanese citizenship (because of their parents), USFS would not be able to hold them back. Not that this would ever happen. It would just be really cool if they could compete in the team event for Japan.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Alex Shibutani has to decide by his 22nd birthday, 25 April 2013, between citizenships, according to Japanese law. (US law doesn't care.) One way or the other, after that time, he's ineligible to skate in the Olympics for the other country. Maia Shibutani doesn't have to decide until 2016.