US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. figureit

figureit Member

Oh this is unfortunate. They seemed to have potential. I have seen so many male pair skaters go into shows lately it seems if you have pair training and can do those things that the money is to good to pass up.
    Maybe Meno and Sand can find her another partner???

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Meno/Sand's other pairs are scheduled to compete at LA Open this weekend -- Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu in Senior and Chelsea Liu/Devin Perini (JGP-age eligible this season only) in Junior. I believe DeeDee Leng/Tim LeDuc (Sr.) and Christina "Divette" Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens (returning to the JGP this year) are scheduled for program critiques at the Troy comp. in Ohio this weekend as well.

Bobby Martin, who co-coaches the 4 Senior teams of Castelli/Shnapir, Donlan/Speroff, Baga/Toth, and Shaughnessy/Morgan in Boston, has written an amusing introductory blog for IN (first in a series planned for this season): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130708&content_id=53089774&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I read that D/B skated their SP in Milwaukee tonight, but had a few errors.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Sylvia

There's a report about Davis/Brubaker's SP at Skate Milwaukee yesterday posted at Golden Skate: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?41216-Skate-Milwaukee&p=751020&viewfull=1#post751020
    The person went on to say "I did not recognize the specific music but it was latin/tango-ish. They had very good unison, I thought. Their choreography went with the music."

ETA: I heard D/B did not skate their FS today (they reportedly had a monitoring session last night and likely received feedback on their FS there).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  5. olympic

6. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Has anybody heard about the pairs at LA open yet?

7. Sylvia

8. Sylvia

Reports from Skate Detroit today indicate that it was a very good Senior Pairs SP event overall! For those with access to the Kiss and Cry forum, some details are posted starting here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...t-July-23-27&p=3962962&viewfull=1#post3962962
    2nd-6th place scores: Zhang/Bartholomay 64.41, Donlan/Speroff 62.06, Leng/LeDuc 61.57, Kayne/O’Shea 61.25, Davis/Brubaker 58.80; Denney/Frazier 54.49 8th, Calalang/Sidhu 51.88 9th, Baga/Toth 47.51 11th.

ETA that the 4 U.S. pairs assigned to the Senior B international in Salt Lake City, UT in mid-September are Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, Caydee Denney/John Coughlin, Tarah Kayne/Daniel O'Shea, and Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  9. olympic

Interested in Leng / LeDuc. They achieved that score of 61.57 with only a 2 twist (I read). Watching them last year, it looked like DeeDee Leng could either blossom or fail as a lady pairs skater. It appears to be the former (hopefully).

ETA - 4 SP's posted by Heather (Thank you, Heather)

Zhang/Bartholomay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNZqVq-jEU - I thought it was ... OK. Solid. I thought with the score there would've been a SBS 3z so not sure how this was 64 pts., but they made the last few elements most interesting; Lift, death spiral, pair spin. Also loved the final pose

Donlan/Speroff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJaElPRzI78 - Ethereal. At least she landed the 3toe even if she spun out of it

Davis/Brubaker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3N4E5qghEs - Solid. Great for such little time together. They are 'aware' of each other on the ice very early into their partnership! Back a little bit score wise probably due to no 3twist but good height on the 2twist, so hopeful that the 3twist will come later in the season.

Kayne / O'Shea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFFcTnkJnU - My favorite pair of the bunch. Stylish with all elements solid to excellent except the 3twist but that looks improved over last year (at least they get it around even if crashy)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  10. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm also hopeful for Leng/LeDuc and I liked Kayne/O'Shea at Nationals as well. I'm so glad to see that the four or five pairs I was impressed with at Nationals have actually stayed together this year. It would be lovely if all five of the teams you mentioned stayed together for the next couple of years. It could really revive the US pairs program.

I would love to see what Moskvina could do with Donlan/Speroff - just day-dreaming. I'm looking forward to seeing all four US teams at the Salt Lake Classic.

11. Sylvia

12. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

We are simpatico, I agree with you on all points. :) And would just like to add Kayne/O'Shea blew me away, never noticed them before until now, WOW, just W-O-W! Look out Donlan/Speroff, this team is just as good as you are, and dare I say it a tad better. Proof in point they outscored D/S on PCS, which is rare, none of the other US teams competing here did so except them, well-deserved too (scratch that, it was Leng/Luduc whom achieved that distinction, whom I have yet to watch, no video available). They are elegant, long-limbed, sophisticated, and they have that extra special something which will TKO everybody else imho, verve...

ps: my favorite lift, and thee most difficult one in pair skating (worth lots of points as well!), reverse lasso lift, kudos to Zhang/Bartholomay for doing it just as good as Evora/Ladwig. :cool:
    pps: i LOVE the new pairing of Davis/Brubaker!

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks for the videos, HeatherC!

14. dots

dots Well-Known Member

They are surely coming into their own. I still say they lack flow, especially her, but that should come with time.

They always make silly mistakes! But Why?
    Is he a weak partner? IMO she needs more core strength. She's always stumbling on her own two feet! It's all very strange.

I say send them both to Rafael Arutunian for a couple of weeks!!! :mad:

With that said, both are so beautiful to look at. She's a beautiful skater. He's a beautiful skater. The two skate beautifully together.

Brubaker looks leaner and may I say more handsome than ever? His current weight highlights his line and posture. I'm going to say he has become an artist. Look at those beautiful arm movements!!

Let's not kid ourselves, these two are future US champions. The potential to do great things at the world stage is right there. I'll give them two years for them to kick things up a notch.

much thanks for posting the links, and Heather for uploading the videos.

15. NadineWhite

ITA, dots, I-T-A! :respec:

I noticed it right from the start, couldn't believe my eyes :eek: , it brought to mind Alissa Czisny. I honestly never thought she would become consistent with the jumps, and lo & behold it took her many many years (a decade?) and she proved me wrong. :cool: And now Rockne does the same thing. I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined him going from a truckdriver to a ballerino, but he has. :)

ps: regards Donlan/Speroff, now I just take it or leave it, if they do good YEAH, and if not no biggie, they're just inconsistent. Here's hoping they do what Alissa & Rockne did, prove me wrong, that is they'll be consistent one day...

pps: and thanks to HeatherC for the vids, and Sylvia for all the valuable info. as always, thanks you two, I don't know what I'd do without you both. :)

16. olympic

Results of the Pairs LP from Sylvia's Twitter feed (Sorry, Sylvia. Too excited, but your'e probably posting these in the K & C thread :p)

1. Zhang / Bartholomay - 116.87
    2. Moore-Towers / Moscovitch - 113.80
    3. Davis / Brubaker - 106.84
    4. Denney / Frazier - 105.73
    5. Leng / LeDuc - 102.15
    6. Donlan / Speroff - 101.75
    7. Kayne / O'Shea - 98.49
    8. Calalang / Sidhu - 98.23
    9. Lawrence / Sweigers - 95.68

Z/B actually beat MT/M in the LP

ETA - Bereswill / Reagan were lagging the field after the SP. What happened to them. Also, where did Baga / Toth end up? They had done well in the LP previously

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  17. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I don't think Bereswill & Reagan were ever scheduled to compete the LP (they aren't listed in the program for the LP) and Baga & Toth got an 81.63 for their LP after a few mistakes including at least one lift that didn't happen. They have potential but need a little work on their LP. Kudos to Kiri for being a rockstar this weekend. She competed both in Sr. pairs AND in Sr. ladies and did pretty well in both of them. :respec:

Glad you guys enjoyed the videos. I should have the Skate Detroit LP videos that I took uploaded by tomorrow night. US pairs are looking mighty good this year! :cheer:

18. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Good for Zhang/Bartholomay! I always feel like they get a bit overlooked in the discussion of US Pairs despite the fact they skated very well at Nationals and 4CC.

19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I thought Zhang and B were a little bit behind the music the entire skate. It is an OK program though. Perhaps it will get filled out and skated with passion. The music begs for it.

Loved Kayne & O'Shea. They are outstanding artistically.

20. Sylvia

U.S. Pairs Scoretracker (Senior down to Juvenile) is updated now through Skate Detroit: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2012-2013-pairs-scores/

I posted this video of Zhang/Bartholomay's winning FS to Les Miz in the Skate Detroit thread in Kiss and Cry earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoUOUkJN6sU

ETA:
    Sayana_mnk posted these five FS video links in the Skate Detroit thread in Kiss and Cry (warning: heads occasionally block the view of the rink!):
    Davis / Brubaker ("Umbrellas of Cherbourg" with a fast violin piece inserted in the middle - same FS music Marley/Brubaker used at L.A. Open last year)
    Leng / LeDuc (Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet" fantasy-overture)
    Donlan / Speroff ("Pas de Deux" from The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky)
    Kayne / O'Shea ("Don Quixote" by Minkus)
    Baga / Toth (they kept their FS to "The Man of La Mancha")

Partial clips uploaded by the same person:
    Denney/Frazier (1:43) FS to "Notre Dame de Paris": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hzbj_xO34
    Calalang/Sidhu (1:50) FS to "Eleanor Rigby"/Beatles: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWzSShWhDWo

Great! Thanks again very much! :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  21. NadineWhite

Thanks to Sayana_mnk for the vids (I watched them late last night) :)

Until I saw the videos I thought Donlan/Speroff did bad (like had a few falls), but I was pleasantly surprised to find out not just them but everybody had a pretty good skate, it was just close is all between Donlan/Speroff, Leng/LeDuc, Denney/Frazier, and Davis/Brubaker. Zhang/Bartholomay were way ahead, which surprised me a bit to tell the truth, as I thought their skate was just okay, especially their PCS (he in particular really needs to stretch his body and point his toes, her too; watch Rockne Brubaker, he could teach Bartholomay a thing or two, jmho). BUT, I must say they maximize every single point, whether it be having the most difficult lift (i.e. reverse lasso lift) or doing a throw 3F instead of the easier throw 3S, and landing their sbs jumps of course, including going for two sbs 2As right in a row (though he singled his first one). To me this is the reason why they were so far ahead, including their PCS, which was influenced by their consistency on the jumps.

Davis/Brubaker are a new team, but gaining every competition, so I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually take over Zhang/Bartholomay by the time Nationals gets here. Reason: Rockne is a better all around skater than Bartholomay. Their female partners are neck & neck. Lol to be honest both of these pairs remind me of each other. I get them confused until they start skating. They have the same strengths as well (i.e. jumps), but now with the new & improved ballerino Rockne, I give him & Davis the edge. BUT, they need to up their difficulty to overtake Zhang/Bartholomay, and judging by Rockne's latest interview he knows that, and they're getting there little by little. Coming in here second to Z/B proves that.

Leng/LeDuc, Donlan/Speroff, and Kayne/O'Shea are all running neck & neck, their strength is the PCS, whomever lands the jumps will come out ahead of the others. That's the only difference imho. In order to distinguish themselves from the pack one of them must stand out with more innovative choreography, thee most difficult lifts, the highest split 3twist, things like that.

And then of course there's the spoiler, young upstarts Denney/Frazier, whom is just as good as her sister Caydee. *sigh* Watch out, thy name is consistency when it comes to the jumps...

One last note, it's good to see Donlan/Speroff were 3:3 in their throw jumps (Yeah). I can't remember the last time I saw them do so. And even more surprising was Gretchen not falling on her butt in their sbs jumps (she was really fighting; hand down & extra turn is all). It was Andrew that singled his 2A). Miracles never cease. :D

22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

So glad to see Davis/Brubaker's progress.

23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Anyone think that the defending US Pairs champions will be lucky to get into the top 4 at Nationals next year?

24. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

We haven't even seen Marissa and Simon compete yet this season. ;) They also have something going for them that a lot of these pairs don't - years of experience with each other. I'm excited to see what the programs they've put together this year. They were very consistent last year, and if they can build on that, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be on the podium again.

25. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I came in to watch the seniors, Zhang and Bartholomay definitely looked the most trained and competition ready of all the pairs. They maintained good speed and presence throughout the whole program.

I just missed the juniors though, anyone know how they did? Thanks :)

26. Sylvia

U.S. Pairs Scoretracker (Senior down to Juvenile) has been updated through Skate Detroit - SP & FS scores have been combined (they were separate events in Detroit): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2012-2013-pairs-scores/
    Pairs' results/scores are compiled in my blog (official results for Skate Detroit have not been published online yet, AFAIK): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/2013-skate-detroit/

ETA that 2013 Novice champs Christina ZAITSEV / Ernie Utah STEVENS, who competed in Detroit this past weekend, is the sole U.S. pair assigned to the first JGP in Riga, Latvia. The 5 listed alternates are, in alphabetical order:
    Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE J3
    Kaitlin BUDD / Nikita CHEBAN N2 (competed in Detroit)
    Sophia DAI / Jeffrey FISHMAN N5 (competed SP only in Detroit)
    Chelsea LIU / Devin PERINI J4 (competed in Detroit; JGP-eligible team with highest combined score there)
    Aya TAKAI / Brian JOHNSON N4 (competed in Detroit)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  27. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  28. olympic

I believe C/S will debut at the Cranberry Open? They usually compete there. But, TBH, I can't even remember if that competition occurred already ...

Anyway, I was excited by Z/B's scores. They are a hungry, motivated team! Their team has obviously been studying CoP and they look good overall. The only thing that keeps me from fully embracing them as a fave is that their explosive elements (3twist, throw jumps) don't really soar like some of the top teams. IDK if that will come with more time or confidence, or it's just because they (he) have a height disadvantage.

Same for D/B. Did so well for so little time together! Little glitches here and there but looking good. Her fall on the 1st 2x of a 2x-2x combo cost them around half-dozen points, so their score would've been significantly better w/o a fall on that element.

I can't say enough how impressed by L/L. I like their speed across the ice (they look fast to me) and their ambition. Glad to see that their 3twist was better and I like the fact that they do two sets of triple jumps (the other US pairs should take note and do the same; only way to be more competitive on the World level).

Could US pairs actually become a player on the world stage???

29. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Kiss and Cry (thanks, Heather!):
    ETA: Castelli/Shnapir are scheduled to compete in Montreal at the Championnats québécois d'été, Aug. 8-11, and at Cranberry Open the following weekend with their Boston training mates Donlan/Speroff, Baga/Toth, and Shaughnessy/Morgan (debuting in senior).

30. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

L/L only do a 2 twist. They also only did 2 throw doubles in the free that day, one of which she fell on. I appreciate their solo triples as much as anyone, but I personally look at pair elements first at a pair event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.