Summer Movies Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by martian_girl, May 3, 2010.

?

Wich movies will you be seeing

1. Iron Man 2 (May 7)

29.5%
  2. Robin Hood (May 14)

16.8%
  3. Shrek Forever After (May 21)

18.9%
  4. Sex and the City 2 (May 27)

18.9%
  5. The A-Team (June 11)

6.3%
  6. Toy Story 3 (June 18)

47.4%
  7. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (June 30)

17.9%
  8. The Last Airbender (July 2)

9.5%
  9. Inception (July 16)

25.3%
  10. The Expendables (Aug 13)

4.2%
  11. Eat, Pray, Love (Aug 13)

13.7%
  12. Something not listed here

24.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

With Iron Man 2 coming out this week, its now Summer Movie Season! Of the big films coming out this summer, which ones are you most looking forward to? Or is there some little Indie film that you can't wait to see at the arthouse?

Discuss, share trailers and reviews here. :)

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I can't wait to see Christopher Nolan's next film "Inception". There's also a small film called "The Kids Are Alright" that I want to see. Um, and I'll probably go to the Karate Kid remake :shuffle: Nothing else is really grabbing me at the moment.

3. missflick

missflick New Member

Tron! (And I have to rewatch the original).

4. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

You'll have to wait for December, unfortunately.

5. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The Karate Kid is the only one that's gotten my attention. It'll be nice to see Jackie Chan in a less slapstick role.

6. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see Twlight doesn't have any votes yet. I know we all love sparkles here, but a sparkly vampire is just wrong.

7. genevieve

I forgot to vote for The Last Airbender, but I'd like to see that one as well.

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Toy Story 3! :D :D :D My most anticipated movie of the summer. And then The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in December! :D It's going to be a great year for movies, methinks.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I voted for SATC2, Toy Story 3 and The Last Airbender. I am a bit hesitant about Airbender because it is both Disney and Shaymalan. He hasn't made a decent movie in a long time. Some would say his only good movie was 6th Sense.

10. genevieve

Sixth Sense was definitely his best, but I really liked Unbreakable. Even Signs was pretty good, despite Mel Gibson.

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My typical must-see list regarding any kind of movie: Pixar and Christopher Nolan. :lol: Love 'em both!

12. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I love anything to do with Robin Hood and that legend, however I absolutly detest Russel Crowe and most likely will wait for it to hit Netflix before I see it. As a matter of fact I wait for all movies to hit Netflix to see them, its not worth spending the money in a theatre. People talking, farting and eating, kids screaming and missing something if you have to pee. I like the privacy and comfort of my home!

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Last Airbender, Iron Man 2 and probably something not listed. :)

14. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I voted for all except the Expendables, Shrek, and TS2, although I'm sure I'll eventually see those too.

Cannot WAIT for Iron Man 2 :) Robert Downey Jr :swoon:

15. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Definitely Iron Man...most because of RDJ :).

I'm also kind of curious to see how Eat, Pray, Love does, since Julia Roberts hasn't been in a major box office success for quite awhile (I want to say Ocean's 12?).

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I brought up the idea of a group trip to see Robin Hood at my last Bible study meeting. One of the guys said knowingly, "Oh, because of Russell Crowe." I said, "Nope. Matthew Macfadyen." :lol: I care nothing for Crowe, but Macfadyen . . . :swoon:

17. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Be seein' what I voted for when it comes out on DVD....

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Here are a few not on that list I would like to see.:

Piranha - CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP... anyone hungry? :EVILLE:
    Beastly - I remember reading a storying that sounds similar to this movie :)

19. Wyliefan

I'll be seeing it to review (and then again when the RiffTrax comes out). I just didn't want to vote for it. :D

20. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Toy Story 3 is a must but I'd like to see Iron Man because I love RDJ

21. Wyliefan

I can recommend Robin Hood. Saw it last night. I found it a little violent -- but then I'm a total wuss, so I'm no judge of violence! And it wasn't nearly as violent as it could have been. Anyway, the story was interesting, and the actors were good, and I really liked the historical stuff, although I'm sure it was as full of inaccuracies as historical movies always are. I was thrilled to see Eleanor of Aquitaine; I've loved her ever since The Lion in Winter. :D Eileen Atkins is no Katharine Hepburn, but she did just fine.
    Especially when she smacked King John!

I saw it with eight people, and I think they all enjoyed it! A couple of them said it was even better than they expected.

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

After the Cup: Sons of Sakhnin United (2010)
    This is not a movie but a documentary about the bueatiful game. (football/soccer) Bnei Sakhnin is a football club from Israel based in a mainly Arab town. To succeed at the top level they brought in Jewish players and together the team made it all the way to the UEFA Cup. Very moving and touching story. ( Europa Cup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fg1sab3eVE

23. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I passed by the movie theater tonight and there was a sign up saying "All showings of Letters to Juliet Sold Out". I was both :rofl: and :huh:

24. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Prince of Persia

Jake + campy adventure = fun.

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I want to see Prince of Persia but I am no fan of Jake Gyllenhaal. Not sure why but I never liked the guy at all.

26. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

^^Agreed. For some reason he's always annoyed me..but I want to see Prince of Persia as well. I'm really hoping it's good.

Ironman 2 was great IMO...not as good as the original (but what sequel ever is?) but I still thought it was pretty strong.

Cannot wait for Toy Story 3 and Inception!

27. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

28. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I will be seeing Airbender, Toy Story 3 with the kids, Eclipse (yay!- lmao!), and this Sunday I am going to see Iron Man 2.

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Prince Of Persia today and loved it! Finally a movie which may just be better than the trailer. As much as it hurts to admit it, Jake Gyllenhaal did an excellent job in the role. Mind you the movie is pure eye candy, do not expect anything too deep or meaningful etc. But it is lots of fun and I would give it a 9 out of 10. As a matter of fact, I want to see it again! :cheer2: Just wanted to add that although the movie did poorly in the domestic Market, it did exptremely well internationally. Prince Of Persia made about $87 million internationally for a total weekend box office of $117 million. :)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=princeofpersia.htm

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I saw Knight and Day last night with a friend. The audience was there to have a good time and they weren't disappointed. I asked my friend before it started, "do you think it'll be more of a comedy, or more of an action movie?" Then the sneak previews started, and they were almost all for action movies, so that sort of answered my question!

But there was lots of comedy in addition to all the action (many sequences made me squirm in my seat they were so well done!!). What's interesting about the comedy is hearing how certain bits affected different parts of the audience. You could hear guys laughing at certain things and some parts me and my friend laughed at with others in our section. What's good about this is that the comedy is diverse enough that it reaches different groups of people.

I just read that they are not expecting this movie to do well from early box office receipts, but from the reaction of the audience last night, my thought was that this one was going to be a BIG hit. Two thumbs up for sure.