Solo Ice Dance is now an official ISU discipline

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Thanks for posting the links. Will try to watch them when I get some time.

Allskate

Please, I'd get rid of the team event and take on the solo discipline anytime, it's contrived and primarily favours the traditionally strong. We already have WTT. Time to see new talent.

They aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both. Apparently, the solo ice dance is bringing in tradition by skating to war horses like Carmen. :D

TBH, I was a little disappointed with the solo ice dance I watched. But, I think that's partly because the programs didn't seem to have the dynamics and musicality I had hoped for. It was go, go, go but in a different way from the other disciplines. However, I can see how it could be a lot more enjoyable if the rules were tweaked a little, there was a lot of variation with music choices, and there was some more emphasis on long and beautiful edgework. Plus, if it gains popularity, we might see more super talented people go into the discipline with some of the top skaters and choreographers getting involved.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
They aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both. Apparently, the solo ice dance is bringing in tradition by skating to war horses like Carmen. :D

TBH, I was a little disappointed with the solo ice dance I watched. But, I think that's partly because the programs didn't seem to have the dynamics and musicality I had hoped for. It was go, go, go but in a different way from the other disciplines. However, I can see how it could be a lot more enjoyable if the rules were tweaked a little, there was a lot of variation with music choices, and there was some more emphasis on long and beautiful edgework. Plus, if it gains popularity, we might see more super talented people go into the discipline with some of the top skaters and choreographers getting involved.
New disciplines take time to develop. It will get there. People have to find their way in the sport and learn what works and what doesn't.

ice coverage

... 2024 Washington Picken Solo Ice Dance International, April 25-28 in Reston, Virginia: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...solo-ice-dance-international?templateParam=11

Also: James Koszuta is competing in U.S. Solo Dance Series this year, and won his first competition of the series. He now is a coach in Nashville.

Entry lists for Picken International include Emmy Bronsard, James Koszuta, Courtney Kuhn, Maxine Weatherby ... as well as Lucas Appel, Shin Lei Case, Alana Pang, Natasha Griffin, Abby Peacock. Plus junior Amal Israilova.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They had some solo dance at least ten years ago at BC Summerskate in Vancouver. One competitor had competed in junior-level ID, but grew too tall. She was a gorgeous skater and competed in solo dance at least one year. She had a wonderful program, and I would have preferred another ten to flights of singles.

Nmsis

The solo ice dance french championships are this week-end, starting now.
114 dancers have qualified through the ranking of the tournois de France.
It's broadcasted here. (don't expect the camerawork to be of professional level ; the CSNDG ALWAYS broadcasts its competitions but you often hear someone bringing a random person and briefly explaining him/her how to operate the camera so ... currently, they seem to have a format problem).

coralline

The solo ice dance french championships are this week-end, starting now.
114 dancers have qualified through the ranking of the tournois de France.
It's broadcasted here. (don't expect the camerawork to be of professional level ; the CSNDG ALWAYS broadcasts its competitions but you often hear someone bringing a random person and briefly explaining him/her how to operate the camera so ... currently, they seem to have a format problem).

It seems that French Solo dance is different from the ISU requirements?There aren't RDs in junior and senior,but PDs.

Nmsis

It seems that French Solo dance is different from the ISU requirements?There aren't RDs in junior and senior,but PDs.
The french solo season was like this :
The Trophée de rentrée on Oct 7-8
Trophée de France (TDF) 1st day either in Villard on Nov 11-12 or in Clermont on Nov 18-19
TDF 2nd day either in Epinal on Jan 20-21 or in Reims on Jan 27-28
TDF 3rd day either in Limoges on Feb 10-11 or Le Havre on Feb 17-18
TDF 4th day either in Toulouse on Mar 2-3 or in Franconville on Mar 9-10
The solo nationals on Apr 12-14
It's an old and big machinery that the CSNDG (ice dance committee) runs during the whole season (some rinks are starting to close now, most will be closed by June so late tournaments make no sense for them) and mixes with couple ice dance (same coaches, same judges).

The ISU issued its solo regulations on December 19, far too late to be implemented this season.

Last edited:

Nmsis

So here are the french solo ice dance champions :
Senior : Adèle Grundrick from Cergy, coached by Stéphanie Laurent
Junior : Louise Bordet from Villard, coached by Karine Arribert
Novice : Lou Bella Lemaire from Reims, coached by Ludivine Lemaire and Fabian Bourzat
Minime : Rose Bordet from Villard, coached by Karine Arribert
Benjamin : Lison Weber from Châlons, coached by Barbara Piton

A pretty cool bunch.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The Bordets — sisters? — have lovely edges and clear movement quality. The younger has a more diva-esque quality, at least in these programs. What a brilliant program Piton created for Weber. I loved the unusual Sugarplum arrangement.

Nmsis

The Bordets — sisters?
I think so.
Louise is into movement first, while Rose first performs for the audience.
That will probably be a work in progress for Louise in coming years, like it was for Loïcia.

What a brilliant program Piton created for Weber. I loved the unusual Sugarplum arrangement.
It's so cute and she performs the hell out of it.
It's Lindsay Stirling's Sugarplum Fairy arrangement.
The first time I heard it was in an Arribert's program, along with a Jennifer Thomas' arrangement, and a Trap remix.

Last edited:

marshallpond

Was super excited to watch David Shapiro win the solo ice dance junior level at the 2024 National Intercollegiate Final in Lake Placid this weekend (fun fact: top 6 are men out of 10 skaters; Karen Chen won senior solo dance). I hope David competes at the regular solo ice dance circuit, as he's phenomenal.

I've seen this boy grow up as one of the Wilmington boys of Viktor Pfeiffer but his competitive skating career was cut short by injuries (he was junior men when he had his surgery). He can't jump triples anymore, but wow, oh wow, his lines and elegance are to die for.

If he competes for solo dance, he'd be a great success. Can't wait to see where he go from here

Sylvia

TBD
Was super excited to watch David Shapiro win the solo ice dance junior level at the 2024 National Intercollegiate Final in Lake Placid this weekend (fun fact: top 6 are men out of 10 skaters; Karen Chen won senior solo dance). I hope David competes at the regular solo ice dance circuit, as he's phenomenal.
Were you in Lake Placid? Lucky you, if so. For anyone interested, I posted (embedded) UDel FS team’s full Instagram video of David’s lovely 1st place Junior Solo FD in Collegiate Skating thread, here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/collegiate-skating.110162/#post-6586925

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Did we know Emmy Bronsard had gone into solo dance? I feel like this is the first I've heard of it, but I may have missed or forgotten a post. Anyway, best of luck to her!
I just saw this elsewhere and was coming here to say :cheer: When I first heard of this new ISU category I immediately thought of her because that girl is a star who just hasn't found a new partner to match her quality. Now I am really interested in this :)

ice coverage

Entry lists for Picken International include Emmy Bronsard ...

Did we know Emmy Bronsard had gone into solo dance? I feel like this is the first I've heard of it, but I may have missed or forgotten a post. Anyway, best of luck to her!

Emmy Bronsard posted tonight that she is training for Picken solo dance event -- and also looking for a new partner.

Sylvia

TBD
Washington FSC's event info page for the Picken Solo Dance International (ISU) & their regular club comp. (Picken Dance Classic) in Reston, VA, April 25-28, 2024: https://www.washingtonfsc.org/picken-classic/
The Picken Dance Classic (club comp.) starting orders are posted on the results page: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33994/index.asp

Washington FSC's Instagram post says the draw for the ISU Senior/Junior international will take place at 4:20 pm on Thursday, April 25 and the starting orders will be posted online afterwards.

I have yet to see anything posted online about livestreaming options for fans (event website states that "Live streaming information will be emailed directly to the skaters.").

SherryL

The Picken Dance Classic (club comp.) starting orders are posted on the results page: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33994/index.asp

Washington FSC's Instagram post says the draw for the ISU Senior/Junior international will take place at 4:20 pm on Thursday, April 25 and the starting orders will be posted online afterwards.

I have yet to see anything posted online about livestreaming options for fans (event website states that "Live streaming information will be emailed directly to the skaters.").
Click through to the videographer webpage and the live stream links are there.

Sylvia

TBD
Since the Kiss & Cry section has been opened up to all, I've created a competition thread there for the Picken domestic/club competition (underway) and the Washington Picken Solo Dance International (first event is scheduled to start in just over an hour):

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here (from the Canadian Dance news thread)...

Silver medalist Emmy Bronsard's 2 programs are posted in the Washington Picken Solo Ice Dance International thread in Kiss & Cry (linked above).

2 heartwarming posts by Emmy about her experience in Reston, VA:
She also reveals that she skated to Mozart’s Fantasia in D minor back in 2017 as a singles competitor before bringing the music back for her Senior Solo free dance debut :): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6ck4s1L8ge/

Gold medalist Lucas Appel was on Luke Wang/Lindsay Wang's podcast after his international debut in Poland/before the Picken comp. - Spotify link:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The ISU have now released the regulations for the official discipline of Solo Ice Dance.

This is enough to get ANL to bust out a pair of skates and start shaking it on the ice

🍷🥳👏🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information