So it’s going to be a “Dance Party” RD in 2024/25?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
But isn’t the idea that dancers are to pick a dance rhythm that was done in the 20th century?
How many of those are there?

We don't have any information at this point on how, or if, they are going to even constrain it that much.

Former Lurve Goddess

How many of those are there?

We don't have any information at this point on how, or if, they are going to even constrain it that much.
But isn’t the idea that dancers are to pick a dance rhythm that was done in the 20th century?

Charleston, jive, jitterbug, hip hop (which includes tons of styles), disco, ragtime, swing, rock and roll, vogueing, etc.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Charleston, jive, jitterbug, hip hop (which includes tons of styles), disco, ragtime, swing, rock and roll, vogueing, etc.
Foxtrot, quickstep, on and on

I like all of these and am happy to see RDs using the rhythm and a pattern dance.

I'm not seeing how you get that out of 20th C dance party.

sap5

Yes the best teams do both.

Which has nothing to do with the question at hand which is whether 20th Century Dance Party is the same as, "whatever you decide as long as its dance-y"
I see it as pick a dance rhythm from the 20th Century and follow the rules to get the maximum points.

Former Lurve Goddess

Yes the best teams do both.

Which has nothing to do with the question at hand which is whether 20th Century Dance Party is the same as, "whatever you decide as long as its dance-y"
In my "cardio dance party" classes, we dance to salsa, bachata, KPop, Bollywood music, hip hop, disco, etc.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The thing is I bet a lot of younger fans will totally get into a contemporary waltz RD.
This is a 20th Century one but the point is waltz rhythm lives on! It doesn't mean everyone skating to Blue Danube and looking like Vienna circa 1889 (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
OK, I hope that the ISU encourages spectators/fans to dress for Dance Parties!

“Best fan outfit” trophy at each competition! Even I may fly in for this.

This may be the saving grace.

Nmsis

The thing is I bet a lot of younger fans will totally get into a contemporary waltz RD.
The problem is not the fans or even the technical committee.

It's about defining what is the heart of ice dance.

Regularly, the technical committee, the judges (and sometimes the fans) act like they are the guardians of the temple of ice dance.
Sometimes to a such a degree than anything unusual is subject to rejection.
And the word "different" becomes a polite insult (I read that once and dismissed it, but I've seen it enough time to get that there is a real weight to that word in ice dance)
That's what the coaches are running away from. And if being "different" is an insult, everyone is just trying to be "more of the same".
To the point of stalling and losing relevance.

That the technical committee tries to open the windows of ice dance is a healthy reaction.
But they need to not lose the staples of their discipline.
They need to frame a corridor of research precise enough to guide and secure the coaches AND to prepare the judges to have different sets of expectations, to modernize ice dance while keeping its core safe.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I just saw the 2023 Japanese movie, Perfect Days. The full soundtrack of 1960s and 70s hits could be used in next season’s “Dance Party”!

Kaori’s Nina Simone version of Feelin’ Good is included.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Great ideas for anyone trying a 1960s dance party!

I just rewatched the fabulous 1965 Euros exhibition film on YouTube & was blasted away by the fashions and musical styles of, especially, the dancers. Wouldn’t it be cool to see a bit of echoing of the mid-60s style in dancing, such as:

Beehive style women’s hair…and short cuts for men

The 60s fashions for dance: short skirted and long-sleeved women’s dresses & tuxes for guys

A lot of fake-Latin (made for Americans & Euros) dances, such as Tico-Tico, Let’s Limbo Tonight, Cumbachero, etc.

I want to see a lot of Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass…in the above hair styles and fashions. Whee!

And at least one French team must give us a quick footed Dominique-Nike-Nike as we saw from the French team at 1965 Euros.

I’m getting pumped for the 60s party! 🎉

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Why not make the RD theme NUDE dance party? And all of the music must come from the soundtracks to The Full Monty and Calendar Girls!
Why not make them all dance to B-52s music.

Frau Muller

@Frau Muller I have honestly been trying to get anyone to skate to Tijuana Taxi as a SP for years to no avail. :wuzrobbed
Honestly, it would be a bit hilarious, which was part of the bite in 60s free skates…looking very preppy & proper in the old fashioned dresses, tuxes and bouffant dos, and moving to modern Latin beats. I can see Piper in a beehive do, shaking to Tijuana Taxi. Just look at the mid-60s films of dance to see what I mean.

I’d love to see the shorter Czech team (the Taschlers) do a subtle take on their countrymen, the Romans, such as:
More difficult of course…but with hints.

What I don’t want to see is everyone skating to Beatles, wearing jeans or black pleather grunge, looking as if they’re in some protest or Love In, if they’re tackling the 60s.

p.s. Imagine Oona Brown in a beehive and proper short dress, with Gage in a tuxedo and shorter looking (slicked back?) hair!

Last edited:

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
@Frau Muller I have honestly been trying to get anyone to skate to Tijuana Taxi as a SP for years to no avail. :wuzrobbed
I would hate to see the dance move used when the "taxi horn" is honked....

I'm looking forward to "Rock Around the Clock/The Twist/Disco Inferno" medley.

Last edited:

Jayar

I would hate to see the dance move used when the "taxi horn" is honked....

I'm looking forward to "Rock Around the Clock/The Twist/Disco Inferno" medley.

Lol. I tried to get your skater to take it on. He took a hard pass. 🤣

Nmsis

And at least one French team must give us a quick footed Dominique-Nike-Nike as we saw from the French team at 1965 Euros.
Not going to happen :
  • because french people don't know that song, even fans of the 60s ; I've only ever seen it in american tv shows.
  • thanks to the evolution of language and the apparition of the french vulgar verb "niquer", "Dominique-nique-nique" nowadays sounds like "Dominique f*cks f*cks", which would cause the hillarity of any french people below 70yo listening to it, let alone ice dancers in their 20s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information