San Francisco Travel Tips?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kylet3, Apr 21, 2014.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You are not really suggesting French Laundry on a short notice? I think it would have to involve murder. I am shocked that Coi has 2 stars. What? I hated that place. I could name a handful of 1 star places that are so much better.

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Like?

And if you can get reservations to French Laundry on short notice, then get one for me too.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Aziza, Boulevard, La Folie, Solbar. Even the non-rated La Jardiniere.

If you get me one at State Bird ;)

Seriously, I did get a reservation at the French Laundry. Once. :swoon:

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:wall:

UMBS and IceAlisa, did you even read what Marney posted?

She wants somewhere that serves seafood or Mexican food at reasonable prices and will accommodate a family on vacation with a young daughter. To suggest that they go to a Michelin-starred restaurant or even that she drive to Daly City is to completely ignore her needs.

Yes, Scoma's is touristy, but Fishermen's Wharf is touristy. The food and the views, though, are certainly satisfactory, though the prices may well be greater than what Marney wants to pay. (I thought Scott's, which is a local chain, had reopened in San Francisco, but it hasn't.)

In fact, there are some very good seafood-themed restaurants in the City that aren't the least bit touristy, but they are out of Marney's price range. Hayes Street Grill is a good example.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Nah we just wanted to show off our extensive knowlege of the Bay Area haute cuisine. :shuffle:

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  6. UMBS Go Blue

Actually yes, and if you read all of what I posted, there are more than enough suggestions to cover all price points and all diner circumstances. To limit suggestions to "safe" tourist traps is to do a disservice to visitors in opening their eyes to the abundance of amazing options the city has to offer.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I appreciate UMBS Go Blue's posts because they are so comprehensive and remind me of the places I haven't thought of for a while.

8. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I appreciate everyone's comments in this thread. I am applying for a job at UC-Berkeley and will take a few extra days in S.F. proper if/when I get an interview. :D

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Hoping that you get the interview/job!

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  10. UMBS Go Blue

Here's my list of Berkeley and Oakland places I would rate 5 and 4 stars.

My philosophy is that 5 stars = excellent, 4 stars = above average, 3 stars = average, 2 stars = below average, 1 star = huge, rare fail. I keep things on a curve, with the mean at around 3.5 stars.

Not all of these are restaurants and bars, and not all 5-star places are traditional, pricey 5-star places in a newspaper-review or Michelin sense.

In particular, Oakland is seeing a quiet renaissance, safety issues aside. (Like you would in SF, don't leave anything in plain view when you park, and don't make yourself a target by walking around cluelessly with your smartphone looking for directions.) People - both those looking for housing and entrepreneurs looking to open new businesses, particularly bars and restaurants - are increasingly priced out of SF and flocking to Oakland instead. The result is that Oakland is stealing ever more foodie buzz from SF, while keeping things very affordable, hence providing for an excellent quality-value proposition. Also unique to Oakland is a level of friendliness, tolerance, diversity, openness, and "realness" that is increasingly rare in increasingly elitist SF.

BERKELEY

Downtown / Gourmet Ghetto / Student Ghetto on Telegraph

5 stars
    Cal Performances – Berkeley’s performing arts series

4 stars
    Almare Gelato Italiano – best gelato in immediate downtown area
    Angeline’s Louisiana Kitchen – fried chicken / Cajun / soul
    Asha Tea House – lots of varieties of tea, OK study venue
    Caffe Strada – perfect outdoor study venue with outdoor power ports
    John’s Ice Cream – super cheap ice cream
    Jupiter – OK beer and pizza, but with gorgeous back garden and fire pit, perfect date venue
    Lush – best gelato in Gourmet Ghetto area
    Philz Coffee – branch of SF-area chain with lots of seating, good date venue
    Sheng Kee Bakery – higher-end version of an authentic Cantonese bakery
    Sliver - pizza
    Zellerbach Auditorium – intimate venue host to Cal Performances

North Berkeley / Berkeley Marina

5 stars
    The Xocolate Bar – drinking chocolate and sweets

4 stars
    La Bedaine – French bakery
    OCSC Sailing School – name says it all
    Pizza Moda - pizza
    Sketch Ice Cream – and gelato too
    Trumer Pils – their brewery tours are cool, if open to public

Elmwood

4 stars
    Flavors of India – cheap, satisfying
    Ici Ice Cream – everyone raves about it but I wasn’t *super* impressed
    Tara’s Organic Ice Cream – get the sesame cone

OAKLAND

Jack London Square

5 stars
    Bicycle Coffee – free coffee on Fridays
    Blue Bottle Coffee – the roastery for the Bay Area chain that’s now going national
    Chop Bar – one of my favorite neighborhood spaces, try the bacon bloody mary (6 strips of bacon)
    Heinold’s First and Last Chance Saloon – the original house where Jack London wrote Call of the Wild; the indoor floor is still slanted from the 1906 quake; you can bring your beer outside in plastic cups and enjoy the gorgeous waterfont view
    Jack London’s Cabin – just a replica, but kitschy and free
    Jack London Square Farmer’s Market – big enough to be comprehensive, small enough to be uncrowded
    The Dock – fabulous New American restaurant with global / maritime influences
    The Beer Shed at the Dock – fabulous beer hall next to The Dock

4 stars
    Beer Revolution – inside smells like a barn, it’s all about the outside patio (and hundreds of beers on tap)
    BevMo – rarely crowded branch of the local liquor store chain
    Bocanova – beautiful waterfront space; brunch is your best bet
    Brown Sugar Kitchen – soul food, hugely popular for brunch, the chef is a budding celebrity
    Cerruti Cellars – halfway decent wines; I’m a wine club member
    Campovida – fairly good wine tasting room, I like the whites over the reds
    Forge Pizza – my favorite place here in JLS, whether inside or outside overlooking the promenade and marina
    Haven – beautiful waterfront space, recently got a menu overhaul under a beefy ex-football player chef
    Jack of All Trades Market – monthly flea market
    Linden Street Brewery – really good local craft brewer
    Loakal Art Gallery – funky local gallery, shop, and artist workspace
    Merchant’s Saloon – super divey, go for a bloody mary with serious kick
    Miette – cute little pastry shop
    Public Bikes – warehouse for really functional, locally made bikes perfect for city use; got my new one here
    Souley Vegan – ask for advice on what sauces, seasonings to use on otherwise drab-looking vegan food
    The Night Light – divey lounge
    Warehouse Bar and Grill – cop bar called “safest” in Oakland, although it was deliberately targeted during the recent riots

Downtown / Uptown

5 stars
    Café van Kleef – best bar ever, best grapefruit cocktails ever, you’re an idiot if you spend a night out in Oakland without coming here
    Make Westing – another super awesome bar with fab cocktails, popcorn, and indoor bocce courts
    Fox Theatre – concert venue, have seen Keane, Vampire Weekend, and Kraftwerk here
    Oakland Art Murmur – when all of Oakland’s galleries open themselves for First Fridays
    Oakland First Fridays – when Telegraph north of Grand becomes a huge street festival on First Friday evenings
    Telegraph Room – private bar and private balcony space during concerts at the Fox Theatre
    The 25[SUP]th[/SUP] Street Collective – beautiful gallery space with several sub-galleries

4 stars
    Camber Restaurant – Thai restaurant meets hip lounge
    CommonWealth Café & Pub – yet another cool beer pub with some good eats
    Dogwood – great cocktails, a bit notorious because the glass corner windows have been smashed 4 times in 7 years (twice by riots, twice by drunk drivers)
    Farley’s East – nice café and news stand
    Fat Cat Café – simple but gigantic sandwiches from the sweetest lady ever
    Fauna – cool bar next to Flora
    Flora – awesome restaurant with retro diner feel; great for brunch
    Henry’s Gallery Café – good lunch spot, esp. for bibimbap
    Hopscotch – fabulous, fabulous, fabulous
    Legionnaire Saloon – cool bar
    Lost & Found – fabulous new beer hall with great food menu
    Luka’s Taproom and Lounge – decent bar with surprisingly large dance floor
    Mua – gorgeous and accessible restaurant
    Nido – Mexican; cozy little neighborhood joint recently featured in Bauer’s Bay Area Top 100
    Oakland City Hall – if you’re into open screaming, rancor, and conflict at council meetings
    Oakland Ice Center – where Pac Sectionals was held last year, looks like a great place for lessons
    Pican – New Orleans-style cuisine
    Penelope – good cocktails
    Plum Bar – cool bar next to Ume
    Stag’s Lunchette – sumptuous sandwiches
    Telegraph Beer Garden – awesome beer garden with fab burgers (bacon-infused patty with pulled pork), may be worthy of 5 stars
    Tierra Mia Coffee – cute new café in old department store building
    TrueBurger – great burgers
    Whole Foods Market – above average branch; has uncluttered circular layout and decent parking
    Yonsei Ramen Shop – weekend-only late night pop-up

Chinatown / Lake Merritt / Old Oakland

5 stars
    Cleveland Cascade – series of steps for runners near Lake Merritt
    Haddon Hill Café – adorable little café above the Cleveland Cascade
    Lake Merritt – Oakland’s crown jewel, with lakefront path perfectly sized at 3.5 miles
    Off the Grid: OMCA – Friday evening food truck festival at the Oakland Museum of California
    Old Oakland Farmers’ Market – like the JLS farmers’ market, perfectly sized and not too crowded
    Sheba Dining – Ethiopian catering outfit with a small dining space hidden well beneath a humdrum motel

4 stars
    Awaken Café – awesome coffee house with live music on weekends
    Cam Huong Restaurant – super cheap banh mi
    Catered To You – fried/soul food open super late on weekends
    Desco – perhaps the best Italian in Oakland; need to revisit and see if it’s worth 5 stars
    District – thumpin’ lounge at night, lovely brunch buffet on weekend mornings
    Gum Kuo Restaurant – authentic Cantonese noodle, rice, and BBQ dishes
    Kamdesh Afghan Kabab House – sweetest family ever
    King of Ginseng Co. – for all your traditional Chinese medicine needs
    Loring Café – fabulous atmosphere, older crowd, go during happy hour
    Miel – Tamarindo’s bar (see)
    Miss Ollie’s – fairly decent Caribbean food
    Molcajete Cocina Mexicana – try the molcajete with a date
    Napoleon Super Bakery – best Cantonese bakery for overall taste/value in Chinatown
    Oakland Marriott City Center – fairly good service, right on top of BART, and you can often Priceline rates as low as $50/night which beats paying $150-350/night for a similar SF hotel
    Oakland Museum of California – all about local and CA history
    Pacific Coast Brewing Company – has some really good dark brews and special ones on occasion
    Parliament – fabulous new lounge with diverse crowd and happy hour stretching till 8.30pm
    Peony Seafood Restaurant – has been renovated and is once again Oakland’s best dim sum restaurant
    Radio – cool bar
    Ratto’s International Market – old-school Italian sandwiches and deli
    Rosamunde Sausage Grill – outpost of small SF chain with good beer selection
    Ruby Room – pitch-black dive bar
    Sobo Ramen – fairly decent and cheap ramen
    Sweet Bar Bakery – excellent pastries
    Tamarindo Antojeria – fairly good tapas joint
    Vien Huong Restaurant – fairly decent noodles
    Wahing Trading Co. – you can find a lot of cheap kitchen / household stuff here without having to pay a premium at Target or a hardware store
    Wonder Food Bakery – good egg tarts (“dahn taht”)

Grand Lake

5 stars
    Grand Lake Farmers’ Market – another fabulous farmers’ market
    Michel Bistro – authentic French bistro
    Morcom Municipal Rose Garden – self-explanatory, nice date venue

4 stars
    Arizmendi Bakery – good bakery and pizza
    Colonial Donuts – not the best, but open 24 hours
    Grand Lake Kitchen – popular local choice for brunch and sandwiches
    Grand Tavern – fabulous beer hall in the form of a lovely old Victorian house; this is the place that a colleague took me to and first sold me on Oakland as a darn good place to live
    Ordinaire – hipster wine bar
    Portal Restaurant – fabulous outdoor patio, great date venue
    Room 389 – cool bar
    The Star on Grand – good pizza

Temescal

5 stars
    Bakesale Betty – best fried chicken sandwiches ever, only open for lunch a few days a week

4 stars
    Bowl’d BBQ Korean Stone Grill – good BBQ and bibimbap
    Doughnut Dolly – nice cream-infused donuts
    Genova Delicatessen – old-school Italian deli and sandwiches
    Tara’s Organic Ice Cream – uncrowded outpost of the Elmwood original

Rockridge / Elmwood

5 stars
    Eddie’s Drive In Liquors – fairly good neighborhood liquor store

4 stars
    Bica Coffeehouse – cute little corner shop right below the BART station
    Bittersweet Chocolate Café – liquid chocolate, enough said
    La Farine – French-themed bakery
    Ramen Shop – really, really rich and thick ramen
    Southie – casual sandwich place, paired with Wood Tavern next door
    Trappist Provisions – more casual and friendly version of the Old Oakland beer hall

Lower Hills

4 stars
    Bellanico – surprisingly sophisticated neighborhood restaurant

kwanfan1818 and IceAlisa like this.
  11. UMBS Go Blue

12. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

We must've went to the same 3D Kraftwerk show. Which day did you go? I went to the Sunday show at the last minute. I bought my tickets online 1.5 hrs before the show started and got front row center loge seat. Luckily I lived next to BART and the BART ride was only 20 minutes, so I made it on time after scarfing down my dinner. I also went to the Monday show and bought general ad tickets the day it went on sale.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

There is another Sheng Kee bakery in SF in the Sunset district. I like their fair because it's lighter and less sugary than most. Also, apologies if it has been mentioned but Schubert's Bakery on Clement (also in SF, the Richmond district) is amazing. Their mango cake is to die for. My mission is to try their black current cake next.

I have never been to Chez Panisse in Berkeley. It has a reputation but I've also heard it's gone downhill. Comments?

14. UMBS Go Blue

There's a lot I've yet to try (the places I've listed only reflect those I've tried and have a firm opinion on) and Chez Panisse is high up on that to-do list.

For what it's worth, Alice Waters of Chez Panisse is famous for starting the whole slow food / organic movement. Even if she doesn't have a Michelin star anymore, she, more than anyone else, has helped shape food and cuisine here in the Bay Area. Up and down the price and quality spectrum, you see that influence in restaurants emphasizing locally sourced, made-from-scratch food.

I've walked past the restaurant many times and the prix-fixe menus don't look terribly expensive for a restaurant of that caliber, at about $85-100 per person, considering that you could easily blow that much on, say, a night out full of cocktails, or a big sushi dinner.

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know, so much food, so little time! I am afraid that the day I finally decide to try it, they will have nothing but beets, goat cheese and lamb, none of which I like. :drama:

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Here the only place I'm planning for any kind of a dinner is St. Francis Fountain... :slinkawayYes I'm a Looking fan! I love little divey diners and that looks like it'd be a neat place to visit.

17. UMBS Go Blue

Very kitschy and very hipster these days. Quite a few vegan options. Also in a part of the Mission where you can see gentrification happening real-time. Save room for dessert!

Also, keep in mind that there are many cheap eats in my list. Dinosaurs, right in the heart of the Castro, has excellent banh mi. It's diagonally across the street from Ike's Place, which although double the price, also has double the portions if you can split 1/2 the sandwich and save it for later.

18. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever been to a concert at the Orpheum theatre? I'm going to the Susan Boyle concert there on October 11 (I chose that versus attending the HRC gala). It looks like a very small and intimate venue which I'm quite looking forward to. I have seats on the bottom level a few rows from the back, but I think that'll be just fine.

I'm going to go to the concert, head back to my hotel in the Tenderloin and then get ready and see what I can find for nightlife in The Castro. I have Qbar, 440 Castro, The Lookout, Badlands, The Café, Toad Hall all on my list (I won't end up at all of them, probably just a couple). I'm going to be turning 28 so hopefully I can find a good crowd near my age above and below. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be the best bars in the Castro to find in and around what I'd be looking for? The problem is different cities for me are hit and miss, I found it easy to talk to people and make friends for example when I was at Krave in Vegas, but when I went to other bars in Seattle or Los Angeles, I talked to a few people but didn't really end up meeting anyone. I suppose it depends on how social one wants to be, I'm also down 60 lbs in the last year and a bit so hopefully being a bit more confident in the way I feel and look will help a bit? I'm not sure, but I digress. I'm sure I'll have fun wherever I end up!

19. UMBS Go Blue

Have not been to the Orpheum yet. As for your Castro to-do list, you've pretty much covered all the places with the exception of Moby Dick, and the others I've listed below, as far as I can quickly recall.
    • Qbar - will have a massive line on the weekend; if you want to try all the other places you should probably skip this
    • 440 - got mean stares from the older, bearish crowd here when I popped in here once with some fellow younger professional types; however, one of the bartenders here sold me a Coldplay ticket at face value once when it was going for at least 2x that on Craigslist
    • The Lookout - I like this place; should be a very good time and very low-attitude and social for you; as the name implies, a nice wraparound balcony
    • Badlands - called "Sadlands" by cynical types, but it's one of the bigger dance clubs in the Castro, so go for it
    • The Cafe - haven't been. There's always a huge line out front, and I hate lines. Then again, waiting in a line might be a good way for you to get swept up into others' nights out. If I were to pick waiting in line here or vs. Q Bar, I'd pick here.
    • Toad Hall - smaller, more casual bar/dance club with small outdoor patio in back; think it's owned by the same folks as Badlands directly across the street, but as far as I'm aware you don't get 2-for-1 deals on cover.
    Places that I generally prefer:
    • Hi Tops - a sports-themed bar with good food menu; as loud as it gets, it's never too crowded for my tastes, and it's a safer, more vanilla place to take straight friends
    • Blackbird - excellent cocktail bar; the drinks are so good that it draws plenty of straights and gays alike
    • Pilsner Inn - always uncrowded if you actually want to talk serious stuff with your companion / friends; has a huge outdoor patio
    If you have time to be out and about SoMa, there's a secondary cluster of bars along/near the entire length of Folsom Street, many with their own colorful histories. If you want something more, um, edgy than predictable stuff in the Castro, then SoMa will give you a flavor of the freewheeling place SF used to be. These include Truck (my favorite in this area only because it has really good food, although it's far to the south and technically in the Mission), Powerhouse (infamous back patio), Hole in the Wall, the Stud, the Lone Star Saloon, and the Eagle.

In SoMa, there's also Wicked Grounds, an S&M-themed coffee house, and also DNA Lounge, which is not a gay venue but has their excellent Bootie parties (bootleg mashups) on Saturday nights. There's also Cat Club which is another mostly straight dance venue. Look up all these places on Yelp.

In general, SF is open enough that gays don't have to stick to gay bars to go out, on top of there being so many great places to hang out and so many things to do. As a visitor, however, please do check out the longstanding gay establishments, especially if you don't have many places like these at home.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  20. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Also, I get into San Francisco about 12:05 PM, planning to drop my bags off at the Hotel and hopefully managing to get up to The Golden Gate Bridge, Sutro Baths, and then hopefully just a quick jaunt over to Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, I'm not planning on being in each area too long, just enough to take some pictures and stop in a couple places, but overall these places don't interest me overly. Will that be enough time to get it all in by getting into the city around noon and to my hotel say around 1-1:30ish? If anyone thinks it's doable, not doable any advice would be greatly appreciated!

21. UMBS Go Blue

For travel within SF, use Google Maps on your phone to plot out the easiest routes on Muni buses or light rail. BUT also use it discreetly enough so that you don't get cased by thieves.

If you don't miss any transit connections (um, good luck with this one, as Muni is notoriously undependable) and run around like a taskmaster, then:

1) Drop off bags at hotel
    2) (15-30 mins) Take either Muni bus from your hotel (may require connection to another bus) or walk to Powell St./Union Square to catch the cable car to Chinatown
    3) (30-45 mins) The most touristy stuff in Chinatown is along Grant (1 blk beneath Stockton, where the 30 bus line runs, or 2 blks beneath Powell, where the cable car runs)
    4) (15 mins) Take a cable car or bus from Chinatown to Fisherman's Wharf-Pier 39
    5) (45-60 mins) Walk around Fisherman's Wharf-Pier 39; it's mostly touristy but see if you can catch the honking sea lions (which all disappeared mysteriously recently; they sometimes do this and come back just as suddenly, without warning)
    6) (30 mins) There is a Muni bus from the Fisherman's Wharf area to the very base of the Golden Gate Bridge; look this up on Google Maps or Muni (sfmta.com)
    7) (45-60 mins) Walk around the Golden Gate Bridge; will always be windy so come prepared (for that matter, bringing layers is essential for SF at any time of day)
    8) (45 mins) See if there is a bus from the bridge to the Sutro Baths, or download and use the Uber app
    9) (30-45 mins) There is a visitor center at the Sutro Baths (a.k.a. Land's End) and you can go down to walk amidst the ruins. By this time it should be sunset, so it may be a nice view.
    10) (30-45 mins) There is a 5 or quicker 5L (limited) bus from the Sutro Baths all the way back downtown, possibly right to your hotel's doorstep.

While using Muni (or BART), getting an electronic Clipper card can save the hassle of fishing for exact change. If you do use cash for Muni, however, make sure you ask for a transfer if the driver doesn't give it to you by default. Both paper and Clipper transfers last for 90 minutes, except they're not valid for cable cars.

22. moebius

I've never been to the Orpheum, but my sis has and she says it's a lovely venue with great acoustics. Hope you enjoy your show.

23. moebius

Clipper cards aren't sold at the BART stations or muni. You have to go to a participating retail store to get one. And it's $3 per card, unless you set up autoload on the clipper card, meaning you have to set up an account online. Too much hassle if you're a visitor. Just use a credit card to buy a BART ticket and cash for Muni. It's simpler.

24. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I've been several times the last time was a couple of years ago for Les Misreables. It's gorgeous. I can't say much about your seats though, I've always sat in mezzanine row A.

25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Hmm, fair enough! I was thinking to go to my hotel via BART at the airport and then swing up to Golden Gate and then Sutro Baths and then booking it back to the other areas (Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and Chinatown) I'd like to do the bridge and Sutro when there is still light out and get better pictures that way. Ideally I'd like to make it back to those other areas before sundown but if I don't I can always squeeze it in the next day after my other activities before I go out to the diner for dinner and such. So I'm sure I can figure it out.

26. UMBS Go Blue

Oh, duh! The days will be getting shorter by the time you get here.

Of course, then do everything pretty much in reverse order. Do either the Golden Gate Bridge or the Sutro Baths first. Fisherman's Wharf-Pier 39 is generally open 'til 8-9pm at least, while the touristy stuff in Chinatown kinda shuts down around 6-7pm.

27. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Indeed, the two big ones will be the Sutro Baths and Golden Gate Bridge. Initially I was planning on doing some shopping at Gucci, Prada, Saint Laurent, Dior Homme, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barneys and Nordstrom, but I'm thinking I'm going to cut that down rather drastically to Dior and YSL with visits to Saks and Neimans. What I'm seeing for this season's items are not really much that I have interest in. I may buy Burberry just to get the shopping bags from Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. :lol: Not to mention that Yelp reviews of Prada are horrible. The piers and Chinatown are a staple of San Francisco so I would at least like to see some of it and get some decent pictures.

I have a specific itinerary of what I'd like to see/get done, it may not all happen but I'm going to do my best! Can it be October 9th yet?

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Chinatown is definitely worth a quick jaunt, with window shopping and poking your head into the shops that don't cater specifically to tourists. The specialty tea and herbal medicine shops, bakeries, and markets are all worth seeing.

Fisherman's Wharf is packed with touristy shops, but if you walk out along the water, you get great views and highly informative signs about the history (and current state) of the area.

Pier 39 is a complete tourist trap. The reasons for going there are twofold: (1) to see the sea lions, if they're there, and (2) more spectacular views. If you wind up getting pressed for time and don't have a passion for sea lions, it's okay to skip this.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  29. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Bars:

Go to The Mix, accost John Waters, if he's in town.

The Cafe: If you like early 2000s porn "stars" grinding in jock straps, go for it.

OK, so, this might be a shot in the dark, but I get the sense that your hog heaven would be going to a Peaches Christ show at The Castro. It's like the marriage of everything you're looking for on your trip. Take a look to see if anything is on the calendar when you're in town.

30. UMBS Go Blue

Ah, alas, Peaches Christ, the performer who caused perhaps the most infamous newspaper correction ever. :rofl:

Also, in the interest of "covering the news accurately," even though Peaches may technically be a "he", Peaches performs as a "she." ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014