Queen fights for gay rights

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sugar, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

As absolutely thrilled as I am that her majesty is doing this, I believe this thread belongs in PI non? Mods? Care to move it?

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I'm thrilled too, but after reading other sources, it's not clear to me whether the Queen will explicitly voice her personal support for gay rights (which would be fantastic, but nevertheless unusual since she rarely makes statements on any political issue), or will merely affirm the contents of the charter as befitting her symbolic rubber stamp role, seeing as the Charter has already been agreed to by all Commonwealth heads of state.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't a queen fight for gay rights? :)

Rex, skipaway, jamesy and 3 others like this.
  5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Why not indeed? :lol:

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Why? :confused:

7. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm wrong. She is signing a Commonwealth Charter Document, 41 of 54 Commonwealth Countries still have Draconian Anti-LGBT laws where people can be imprisoned. As I said, I am thrilled that her majesty is at least doing this now, but I believe there is still some degree of political discussion involved in this particular topic. If I'm wrong, then I have no problem admitting that. I thought this may be a PI related thread. If I'm incorrect, then keep carrying on discussion :)

8. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Good for her, and it's about danged time to get those horrid anti-LGBT laws off the books!

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:duh: That Queen!

I thought you meant this Queen and was alternately :confused: and :yawn:.

10. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Hopefully the Queen's new gay-friendliness will give her access to better dress designers. Those frumpish pastel old-lady dresses she's been donning for the past 50 years need an update.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That was my thought on seeing the thread title too

12. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Of course, I thought of Freddie Mercury and Queen too. :lol:

But, WTG HRH! :40beers:

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

:lol:

Seriously, though, although I think that saying she's "fighting for gay rights" is overstating things considerably, this can only be a good thing.

Having to euphemize LGBT rights as "or other grounds" because of some desire to show "deference" to those Commonwealth countries with backward human rights attitudes says to me that there's not much political will to engage in a real "fight" here. But even a small step forward is better than a step backward.

I was actually more impressed to read that Britain had suspended British aid to Malawi over their persecution of gay people and had threatened to do the same to Uganda and Ghana. I hadn't heard that before.

14. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Actually, if it "belongs" anywhere else around here, then that's the Royalty thread IMO. I was just coming in here to share the link to that same story in it actually. This is as close as you're going to get for Her Majesty supporting Gay Rights in a public manner, just simply due to the constraints a Constitutional Monarch has to deal w/. The fact she's not only signing this, but doing it as part of a live broadcast w/remarks about the Charter, is for Her Majesty on the same level as one of us speaking out at a major gathering that's being shown live.

She has to be *very* careful when it comes to issues such as this, but the wonderful thing about Her Majesty now being on the Throne for 61 years, is that she is a Master at playing the game of just how far she can go and push the boundaries. This, this is *very* big and *very* historic indeed.