Potential new partners for Rockne

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

In an effort to put the speculative McBru are done thread in the past, I'm starting this one. ONLY to discuss new possible partnerships for Rockne. If anyone starts talking about why Keauna stopped skating, I'm throwing all my graemlins at you. :wall::angryfire:mad::barrel:rolleyes::duh:
    :shuffle::yikes:

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Are there any high-level potential partners available?

At Rockne's age I would feel really exasparated about starting "from scratch" with a young inexperienced partner again.

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Names brought up in the previous thread:

--Mary Beth Marley: at barely 16, she's a little young for him, and it's unknown whether she even has an interest in pairs. She struggles with consistency, though the 3Toe is usually a good jump for her.

--Bebe Liang: a good match height-wise, and I don't think weight would be a problem (I've met Bebe in person and she is absolutely tiny). She's consistent with the 2A and 3T, but it's also unknown whether she has any interest in pairs either. At least she's closer in age to Rockne, so it wouldn't be as weird for him as skating with Mary Beth might be...

--Laura Lepzinzki: Really not that consistent while with Ethan Burgess.

Other possibilities:

--Taylor Firth: has quit singles to look for a pairs partner. Size-wise, she would be perfect, but I'm not sure if their styles would match so well.

--Angela Maxwell: also quite small and a dynamic jumper. They could mesh well.

--Blake Rosenthal: Not the most consistent, though her 2A and 3T are fairly good and she does at least have some pairs experience.

--Victoria Hecht: split with Christopher Trefil after competing for Hungary. Would have to sit out a year before representing the U.S. again though.

--Maria Mukhortova: ;)

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I vote Maria Mukhortova. :D

Or Vanessa James. ;)

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think it would be extremely hard for ladies who've only competed in singles to switch to pairs. Aside from the jumps and pair-specific elements, there's the whole two-skaters-skating-as-one thing. I know Naomi Nari Nam switched, but she was still pretty young when she made that decision. I can't see Bebe Liang or Sasha (a suggestion from the old thread) becoming a competitive pairs skater.

I do hope that Rockne is able to find a good partner.

6. apollo13

apollo13 Member

"Singles" skills like SBS jumps are difficult to do for the uninitiated because of the proximity of jumping right next to another person. The same thing with SBS spins. Add to that the pair elements that must be learned - twists, throws and lifts. Pair girls are some of the "gutsiest" people you will meet. Guts and faith in your partner - those are the keys to pair skating, IMO.

There are very few "accomplished" singles skaters who have moved to pair skating have become successful. Either that is true or I am having a senior moment, because I keep looking at my fingers and can't come up with many names. Naomi Nari Nam is an exception. Maybe Becky Bereswill will be another one, but the jury is out on that one...

On another note, I hope Rockne finds a new partner soon. He is too good to sit out a whole season.

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Maria Mukhortova!

:cheer2:

8. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:scream::scream::scream:

SASHA!! SASHA!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ok how about realistic suggestions though? :p

Marina Aganina and Rockne would be a great match.

10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Skating for Uzbekistan or the USA?

:p

11. oz01

oz01 Member

12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a rarity to hear of a singles skater transitioning successfully to pairs. I know some have tried it and have learned enough to get by, but at this point in his career, Rockne's not going to want to just show up at Nationals and get top 8 with a girl who has half a clue about pair skating. He's going to want to be in contention for World teams and in contention to win medals internationally. Even Nam never really got to that point. And I can't see Bereswill ever getting a split triple twist, or making major strides in pairs either, unfortunately.

If there was a high-level partner available, we would have heard about it now. It seems like very slim pickings for a guy of Rockne's caliber. Do you rush into something now, or wait it out for a while? Don't know what his options are.

Marley-- is actually barely 15, and looks about 12. Who knows how much she will grow, but for now, she's tiny. It would be weird seeing her with a guy who looks double her age. Any romantic type program would be out the window. And we all see how well pairs who lack connection to each other are received internationally. If she had any interest in learning pairs, it would have to be frustrating for Rockne to be starting all over again since she really has no experience at all in pairs, or in much of anything really. There is no way of knowing how she would handle anything when her biggest Junior competition to date has been Sectionals. And at Regionals/Sectionals last year, it did seem like nerves played a big factor. She is trying all the harder triples now as well (seems she can land a lutz and has a loop), so she may have no interest in giving that up. Maybe she'll want to be on the Jr Grand Prix soon so that she can develop. In pairs, there's zero chance for her to get any Jr experience. Nevertheless, this is probably the most realistic suggestion on this board, but compared to what exactly? Sasha? Some other retired people? It's just slim pickings right now.

Bebe-- Size-wise it could work out, yes.. At least you know she won't grow. But the main problem with this one is that Bebe has retired after a very long singles career. Learning pairs now and having to immediately get to a high level seems rather daunting.

Lepzinski-- Size-wise, she'd be fine, but I was under the impression she was either going to keep skating with Burgess or be done. She's definitely had pretty big consistency problems. I don't think she is strong enough to be honest.

Firth-- is actually very tall-- about 5'6".

Maxwell-- is somewhat of a mystery with the coaching changes, injury problems, and is she skating this year or not... Who knows if she has ever considered competing pairs. She is short and looks right for pairs, but that could mean nothing if the girl doesn't learn how to pair skate or doesn't want to be a pair skater at a serious level. It doesn't seem like she is even competing this year.

Rosenthal and Hecht-- seem to have struggled with pairs, although their partners contribute to that as well. I just don't think they would be good enough or have enough potential, realistically.

Mukhortova-- :lol: I think Vasiliev was pretty clear that he was going to get her a tall partner, which he did. She's not short. But it would be nice if there was someone out there of that caliber for Rockne. And then there's the whole citizenship issue. I can't see Rockne wanting to represent anything that's not the USA. Maria is sort of crazy anyway. :lol:

Is this the same Marina Aganina I watched at Four Continents last year and wanted to cry because I felt so bad for them? Or was it her partner who was making them look so bad? :lol:

_______
    Ahhh, and this is why it's so hard to find a pairs partner. :wall: So many things have to align the right way for two people to work together successfully.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

But Taylor lists herself as 5'6" in her icepartnersearch bio.

Blake Rosenthal has beautiful lines and posture (from her ice dancing background), but I believe she's planning to start her freshman year at Harvard this fall.

Yes, that sums it up very well!

I would include Caydee Denney (I believe she was landing 5 different triples at the junior level, though she never qualified for Nationals in singles) and Amanda Dobbs in this category (although I'm currently "wait and see" about Dobbs/Jacobsen's future potential). ETA: I also like what I saw of Felicia Zhang's development as a pair skater last season with Toth.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  14. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Interesting...thank you! I wonder if Angela will give pairs any serious consideration? :)

This was meant as a joke. I'm not sure if Rockne would want to team up with any foreign skaters due to waiting periods, potential citizenship issues for the Olympics, etc.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think her partners were always much better than her, to be honest. :D

She's skated her best performance by far at Nebelhorn Trophy 2009 (first time she went for a throw triple jump I think?). It was like their first program where they didn't look as if they were struggling with every single element. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgmJDmIycM

But they haven't competed since. ;)

(So maybe she's available :D)

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Vanessa James !
    Or Sasha Cohen...

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

:shuffle: What if one of us volunteers to skate pairs with Rockne

18. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

This.

19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Joelle Forte. Skating for Azerbaijan seems to have fallen through, and she has great jumps. She is 5'2" and has definitely finished growing.

20. stjeaskategym

I would have to disagree about Denney. She was already skating pairs at 12, I believe. She briefly competed with Barrett in 2006 when she had just turned 13. Although she went on to focus on singles for a short time, the foundation for pairs had already been there from a relatively early age. I'm not sold on Dobbs yet... I agree Felicia Zhang is doing pretty well, but until it translates into Sr success, I think the jury's still out. She will need to compete a triple twist to have any chance to truly be competitive. I think it was good that Toth had a year of Jr eligibility before they had to move up to Srs... helped get her feet wet.

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Caroline Zhang. :p

I know, I know, kidding, but she seems to hate singles so much pairs could be a good move for her. She is about 5'3" with a small frame, she looks fairly grown up now, probably isn't growing anymore, and has all her triples, and her toe and sal jumps are the only ones she has decent technique on! I actually think she'd be good as a pairs skater...

22. bcbg

bcbg New Member

Brooke Castile

23. Sylvia

Correct, but she didn't compete with Barrett at Sectionals that year (fall 2006). (You can watch gloryday's 2 home videos of Denney/Barrett's debut at Liberty in July 2006 on youtube.)

24. grandma

grandma Active Member

Felicia Zhang

25. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

They probably wouldn't match stylewise, but I live in hope of Tiffany Vise/Rockne Brubaker. ;)

26. stjeaskategym

If she wasn't retired and didn't have such glaring technical issues, maybe. It was painful how many times she did a 1A in competition. I don't even remember what her 2A looks like. She had a good partner in Ben, but nothing ever really materialized.

Ah, not a fan of mirror pairs anyway. I never was that impressed by her. :slinkaway The boyfriend (I think he's her boyfriend) she's currently skating with may not like it either. :lol:

:lol: You really think she hates singles though? I think she has rough technique and is hard on herself, but I don't get the impression she hates singles at all. Given the fact that she is continuing, I imagine she pretty much loves what she's doing. I can't see her ever doing pairs and even if she did, she would need a tallish partner. She's kind of tall looking now. I'm just curious why you think she hates it?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  27. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

No way would Rockne skate with a partner that can't jump. I'm surprised Benjamin didn't leave her several seasons ago.

29. Sylvia

Well, I'm grateful Castile/Okolski stayed together as long as they did because they were one of my all-time favorite PAIR pairs to watch. They were very well-matched physically and related extremely well to each other on the ice, I thought.

Of course I'm hoping Rockne can find someone to match him AND have the jumps. ;)

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Sigh. At this point I'm ready to pair Brubaker and Drew Meekins. Because at least they'd have each other.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.