Macular Hole Surgery

JanetB

So last Friday I was diagnosed with a Macular Hole and need to have surgery to get it fixed. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the recovery period. Lying face down for 3 weeks is kind of daunting.

skipaway

So last Friday I was diagnosed with a Macular Hole and need to have surgery to get it fixed. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the recovery period. Lying face down for 3 weeks is kind of daunting.
I don't have anything to share Janet, but I do wish you the best in your recovery.

acraven

JanetB, I don't know anyone who has had that surgery, but I also wish you well. I was extremely fortunate that my retinal problem was caught very early, before there were any symptoms, and could be corrected via laser surgery. I trust that your recovery will be as complete as mine was; i'm just sorry that you have such an ugly recovery process. I'm sure you've already thought of books on tape.

This sounds like the sort of surgery that requires anesthesia. Be sure you are set up in advance with good anti-nausea meds and clear instructions for their use, just in case. I think ginger ale helps, too. (Have straws on hand.)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
You should have a pillow or something under your torso to take pressure off your low back. Ask a medical professional, of course, but lying face down is not natural.

Last edited:

PDilemma

My mom had retinal surgery that required staying face down for about 10 days. Your surgeon/surgery center should have a pillow available to borrow/rent for sleeping. We had to pay a refundable deposit for it. It had an opening --like a donut type thing--think massage pillow. After the first 10 days, she still could not sleep on her back, only her stomach or side. They put a stack of pillows beside her and a couple of cans, too, to keep her from rolling over in her sleep.

During the day, my dad found the old high chair and then put the pillow on top of it for her to sit with, using the tray on that was higher and helped alleviate back and shoulder pain. If you can have any sort of high table or something available for that it will help.

Boredom is also an issue. She listened to a lot of audio books and that helped.

Spun Silver

I have a friend who had that surgery, years ago. She is a stout old Yankee and never complained but it was very, very hard. She too listened to audiobooks and music. I called her a lot during that period to distract her and I'm sure she needed all the distraction she could get. One of her kids visited to help with things that she could not do for herself in that awkward position -- cooking for example. I would ask her for advice for you, but I mentioned it to her recently and she has blessedly forgotten all about it. (She is 92 and I guess it was in her short-term memory!)

Sorry you have to go through this and I sure hope it solves your problem.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
oh yes! My husband had this surgery. You must keep your head with eyes on the floor so the bubble they inject to close the hole stays up against the hole. They make all kinds of equipment you can rent to make it tolerable. A bed extension so you can lay flat and breathe. A chair this game that allows you to LY on the table (like a massage table) and look into a set of mirrors so you can watch TV. You can't go above 1000 feet for a set period of time..... So know the height of roads you travel. We have a rather unassuming freeway that makes a climb to 1200. Was a good thing to know. The recovery was hard on all of us (my husband is a horrible sick person... Such drama) but it was very successful. If you have cataracts they will do that first because they cannot do that later. I would schedule a weekly massage in your home.... It will help your muscles. Good luck

Japanfan

Yes, it sounds difficult. I think I'd need major sedatives if I were required to go through that recovery process.

Mr. AxelAnnie is so lucky to have you, AxelAnnie.

Good luck, Janet B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information