Let's Talk Movies! #22 : Steve Jobs, Some Trekkies, An Ozzy...and IRON MAN!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  10. Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  11. Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 vote(s)
    64.8%
  12. May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I saw Partition, but my recollection of it was that while I liked it, I thought it had a slightly Hollywoodized feeling to it because of the introduction of the Neve Campbell character. (Whom I like very much, but thought that her character was unecessary and was inserted into the plot just so that they'd have someone relatable for the white audiences). Still worth watching though.

But for a better (imo) movie about the same part of history, I recommend Earth, the second in Deepa Mehta's "elements" trilogy."

2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Thanks for this recommendation. I've seen both Fire and Water, but somehow have missed Earth. I'm off to see if Netflix has it.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I adore Deepa Mehta. That trilogy was phenomenal. :respec:

4. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I voted for star trek.. I'm a closet trekkie :) I'm really excited to see it as I loved the first one and all the series. The best movie I have seen this past year is Sky Fall as I really enjoy action/adventure movies as it creates a great form of escapism for me and my very stressful life..

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. walei

walei Well-Known Member

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Marvel studios have apparently made a different version of Iron Man 3 especially for the Chinese market. And World War Z has edited out the part about the origins of problem being Chinese. It would be interesting to see which versions of these movies the Chinese public prefer.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

There were whole scenes missing from Skyfall here and apparently 24% of Cloud Atlas was cut out so I didn't even bother to go see it.

8. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

The more trailers I see for The Great Gatsby the more confident I am that I will probably only like it for the soundtrack. But I don't really care. I'll see it anyways. I generally can't stand Tobey Maguire and I am mostly apathetic in DiCaprio. But I like Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton is good as well. So even if the movie does suck I will at least have good music and 2 acting performances to enjoy. Now I just have to hope that it shows at the theatre I can get in to for free, in case I do end up hating it.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Neutral about Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, meh about Di Caprio, can't stand Baz Luhrmann's directing. Really love the book. Going to brave the flick.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw a TV movie called United on Netflix about the 1958 plane crash that kills most of the Manchester United futbol team. Nice movie so check it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777034/

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It's funny you said that -- I've just been thinking that I'll probably like it in spite of the soundtrack. :lol:

12. Nell411

Carey Mulligan was Sally Sparrow in Doctor Who, I love that episode and thought she was awesome in it so that has earned her my fandom. Also I though she was amazing in Never Let Me Go, so I am willing to give this a chance for her.
    The only Baz Luhrmann movie I have seen is Moulin Rouge, and the last time I saw it was years ago. Before I really thought about the movies I saw. So I don't really remember if I liked the movie, or if I just liked Ewan McGregor in the movie. And while I could go back and rewatch it, I could also watch something else that I know I like. Or something I haven't seen yet.

Having looked at the soundtrack listing I am going to amend that to about half of the soundtrack, I didn't realize how much rap would be on it. I kind of forgot Jay-Z was producing it. But what little I've heard from the trailers still sounds good. At least according to my weird taste in music.

13. Artemis@BC

For me it's: love Carey Mulligan, neutral about Maguire, DiCaprio has gotten really samey but can be great and I think this will be right in his wheelhouse. I hated the book. Well, ok, didn't really hate it, but thought it was the most over-rated 20th century novel after anything by Hemmingway. But I love the look of that era, and I think Baz Luhrmann's touch could be electrifying, and his no-doubt dizzying, ott treatment could be just the thing to make me watch the movie.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Wow, I absolutely love almost anything by both Hemingway and Fitzgerald. :swoon: The Old Man and the Sea was a shattering experience when I read it as a kid.

You must have not enjoyed Midnight in Paris as much then.

15. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

forgot to mention in my catchup post that I had senn, and highly approved of, "Anna Karinina." give me lavish visual extravagence and I'm usually a happy camper lol. "Killing Them Softly"--well.....uh, Brad Pitt was real good but everything and everyone else pretty much sucked.

Waiting not so patiently for my turn on "A Royal Affair." I needs me my Mads fix, whee!!

Today am taking home "the Queen of Versailles."
    the movie box with the newest films is out of service :p

16. Artemis@BC

I absolutely loved Midnight in Paris. For many reasons ... one of which is the fact that wasn't written by either Fitzgerald or Hemmingway. :p

I'm impatiently waiting for that one too. At last check I was #9 in the library queue, but they have 4 copies so it shouldn't be too long.

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Love Mulligan, neutral about Maguire and DiCaprio. However, have read The Great Gatsby twice and have seen the opera once, and I remember nothing, especially about the book. I'm giving it the most over-rated title also. Don't like Hemingway either, but I think I haven't read enough of him actually. May have to give him another try before I am sure.

Certainly am not going to see the movie; whatever version of the trailer I saw about 4-6 weeks ago turned me off completely. It looked awful.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You may have noticed that it was Woody Allen's brilliant, ironic but loving Valentine to them and other artists of the time. And also the Belle Époque. :shuffle: It's Hemingway.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Of the independent/smaller movies coming out this week, only one (the first) is going on my To See list. Oh well, not every week will be like last week...

Apr-12 To the Wonder (Terrence Malick romantic drama with Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams and Javier Bardem)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAzcTZTY1g

Apr-12 Into the White (Historical action drama with Rupert Grint)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FZNHumVCs

Apr-12 The Angels' Share (Comedy drama from director Ken Roach…beware, no subtitles!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcQIvmR21VU

Apr-12 Antiviral (Horror sci-fi thriller written and directed by David Cronenberg’s son David)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJTd69dMyQ

Apr-12 It's a Disaster (“Comedy” with America Ferrera, Julia Stiles and David Cross)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9S6NgzNYE

Apr-12 Dark Circles (Horror with Johnathon Schaech)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HVeqjqs9E

Apr-12 Not Today (Drama with new cast and John Schneider)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-UBqCzNv4

20. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Library has not even ordered "A Royal Affair" eeek! But I am 6th in line for when they do.... meantime I got lucky and got my hot lil hands on "the master." HOW in the h e dble l did Joaquin Phoenix NOT get an Oscar ???! my gawd what an OUTSTANDING performance!!! Wow. WOW. wow. Also a v interesting screenplay. Amy Adams was pretty WOW too.

21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Did "NO" make it to many theatres in the US? Here in Canada, it only made it to maybe 1-2 screens in the entire city, but those screens were packed..

22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Looking ahead to May, I think What Maisie Knew looks intriguing. It's based on a Henry James novel -- one that was really ahead of its time, so I think an update makes a lot of sense. Eager to see what they do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68pgeWPc-QI

I also might check out Not Today. I've written a bit about human trafficking before, so I might want to review it.

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So one of the movies I saw recently while house-sitting was Superstar (Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Tom Green and Mark McKinney) . For some reason I thought it bombed at the box office (like most SNL movies have done), so I didn't expect much. I'm surprised I had never seen it because I LOVE Molly Shannon and I also love the Mary Katherine Gallagher character. So I was surprised to enjoy the movie so much. Ferrell is great as always and his character (the school stud) doesn't always do what you expect, so that made the movie much more interesting. The script was really great and all the supporting characters were very strong. Plus I love comedy that has an underlying dramatic depth to it, making it have a profound aspect to it, adding layers that other comedy movies completely miss out on. Shannon is great at this and delivers in spades. And according to the-numbers.com, the movie cost 16 million and made 32 million. Add on advertising costs to the budget and the movie doesn't come out as a blockbuster, but with TV rights and DVD rentals and sales, it did make a profit. Worth a view for sure. :)

Oh my goodness. Far too rural. You must move immediately! :p

According to imdb.com, The Host has a screenplay written solely by Andrew Niccol. I'm sure he changed everything so that it resembles none of the work of Stephanie Meyers. Now go see the movie and enjoy the cast! :lol:

I agree. LOVE HER!! :cheer2:

24. Nell411

Would that I could. Right now it costs to much to leave. Also I don't think I can transfer in my job until August when I've been there for a year.
    I'm going to have to wait on The Host for a week or two, I'm back on nights for the rest of the week so it will come down to what I get for shifts on my next schedule. I dislike nights, not enough time to go to movies.

25. michiruwater

I'm going to be back in the US next week and the only movies showing at my local theater are Scary Movie 5, Evil Dead, G.I. Joe, The Croods, and Jurassic Park. So...I guess I'm seeing Jurassic Park in 3D, because I have no interest at all in the other four. And I need to see a movie, you guys.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I feel for you. :)

I would have made the same decision as you did.

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Another movie I saw while house-sitting was an Australian action drama starring Ryan Kwanten [True Blood]. I had never heard of it, but I love Kwanten, so had to check it out. Thought it was quite good. A great example of a movie from another country that for whatever reason gets little or no notice in other countries. Although I just checked imdb.com and while it got a good rating (6.4) the message board looks pretty harsh. But sometimes the posters there are pretty jerky (jerk-ish?). Plus there's some nice cinematography of the Australian countryside that I enjoyed. Not as beautiful as Kwanten, but still quite nice! :lol:

I might have found a movie-going partner where I live, plus I have some movie passes I used with my Mom's air miles. So I'm hoping I'll be seeing this shortly after it comes out. :cheer2:

He seemed to have quite a big one in Magic Mike.

:shuffle:

So picky!! :lol: Scary Movie looks really funny, Evil Dead seems to be getting some good buzz and The Croods looks BEAUTIFUL. I can live without G. I. Joe, though.

28. michiruwater

I am a movie snob, PeterG. I thought you knew this :lol: I haven't even seen Scary Movie 4, and Mary McDonnell is it, and I generally have a rule that I see anything with her in it but...

29. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

The trailer for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium hit the internet last night, and it looks SWEEET! Awesome environments, Sharlto fokken Copley with a fokken SWORD, and a space!Bugatti, even! :lol: Can it be August NOW? :rollin:

30. Nell411

I wish. The Worlds End got bumped to August and I am super excited for it. I have yet to see anything by Edgar Wright that I don't love. Elysium looks awesome. I anticipate much time spent in theatres in August:D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.