Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 26, 2012.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  9. December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  10. December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  11. February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  12. February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I am #112 on the hold list for this at the library. I will get back to you with my review in the next thread! :lol: Actually, there's twenty copies of this movie so my wait probably won't be that long. :)

I hear there might be violence in one or more of these movies. Just so you know. :p

2. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I just saw 'West of Memphis' in my movie preview club. Very powerful and distubring documentary about the murder of 3 little boys in Arkansas and the conviction of 3 young innocent men. Why anyone would think they are guilty is shocking. The documentary unfolds the story is very compelling. It makes one angry that this can happen, and is not an isolated case.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw 'Life of Pi' today. The visuals are stunning. The symbolism was not clear to me, and I attribute it to an overload of CGI/3D. I had to read others peoples comments to 'get it'. I suspect this is one of those movies you have to see more than once to really get it (or I may just be dumb/slow).

4. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Copying over from the last movie thread... as I didn't see we had started a new one. :shuffle:

Last weekend caught "Skyfall" and thought it was good, the action sequences are amazing. I have to say, I didn't really find the Javier Bardem villian with a mother-fixation particularly compelling however.

Yesterday I saw "Life of Pi," which was visually amazing, especially in 3D (which I rarely ever spring for). I hadn't read the book, so I had no idea what to expect. It's definitely not the type of movie that one normally associates with using the 3D technology, but it did work well. I think it may not be the choice for every type of film, but someone like Ang Lee who has excellent mise-en-scence[/e] technique to begin with is able to pull it off. I can easily envision this film getting quite a few technical Oscar nominations. I have some conflicting in my mind regarding the whole spiritual journey the character takes, but I guess that just means the film was pretty effective, as I am still thinking about it. :D

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Trailers for smaller movies coming out this week listed below. None are going on my To See list... :wuzrobbed But that's okay, my To See list is pretty long!!! :lol: (I've stopped watching a number of TV shows, so now I have time to make a bigger dent in that list.) Anyway, this week's list is in rough order of what I think looks to be decent films to...less interesting. I actually deleted five or so that looked beyond boring...enough so that I thought you would all agree! But some comments on the first few....

The Big Fix looks good, but the message of "oil companies are bad" is a message I've gotten. Don't need to see that story told for the umpteenth time. In Our Nature looks good, but I'm tiring of the family struggles dramas that are not from a more enlightened point of view. (Dad arguing with some about being neglected instead of taking on the responsibility of his role of father...) But check out Gilford's biceps early on this trailer!! :D Ernest Borgnine's last movie could be a sleeper...and Bad Kids Go To Hell might be a good movie with a bad trailer. The middle half shots of the cast set to music (no dialogue). This is fine if it's a movie in another language, but not a good sign for an english language movie!

December 2 The Big Fix (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that examines the April 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico following the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig.” - This movie might have come out this summer.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuSlXs5AG_s

December 7 In Our Nature (Drama with Zach Gilford, Jena Malone, Gabrielle Union and John Slattery)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjnmhYrHlHc

December 7 The Man Who Shook the Hand of Vicente Fernandez (Drama/western with Ernest Borgnine, Barry Corin and Robert Morse – Borgnine’s last film)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwW7H44fU3w

December 7 Bad Kids Go to Hell (Comedy thriller with Judd Nelson and Ben Browder)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTYl1oAlwg

December 7 Flying Lessons (Drama with Maggie Grace, Christine Lahti, Hal Holbrook, Cary Elwes and Joanna Cassidy)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb4uPh5zTD8

December 7 Lay the Favorite (Comedy with Rebecca Wells, Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Joshua Jackson and Vince Vaughn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7YtJXaF50

December 7 Cheerful Weather for the Wedding (Comedy drama with Elizabeth McGovern and Luke Treadaway)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tyhvd6t75A

December 7 The Fitzgerald Family Christmas (Drama with Edward Burns and Connie Britton)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVeEHlr7oA

December 7 Heleno (Drama. From imdb.com: “A biography of the tragic life of one of Brazil's greatest soccer players, Heleno de Freitas.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVXTJsitzhA

December 7 Delhi Safari (Animated with Cary Elwes, Christopher Lloyd, Jane Lynch, Jason Alexander, Vanessa Williams and Brad Garrett)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9oljIvNEHo

December 7 Dino Time (Animated with Jane Lynch, Rob Schneider, Stephen Baldwin, Melanie Griffith and William Baldwin)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEYLO6MetU

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

7. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I've got a ticket to a showing of The Hobbit that starts at 00:01 on 12/12. :cool:

8. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Peter, thanks for all the links, especially the smaller movies. "The Man Who Shook the Hand of Vicente Fernandez" looks pretty interesting. I love movies with Ernest Borgnine. I'll probably like this one, too.

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thanks for this. Was wondering if I was wasting my time finding/watching links for the smaller movies. I should keep a separate list for trailers that were so awful, I couldn't even consider sharing them with you. Then post a list of the ten worst so you can see the sacrifices I go through for all of you!!! :lol:

10. peibeck

To me Weisz is the biggest surprise, followed by McConaughey (although he did just score Indie Spirit nods, so maybe this win isn't completely out of left field). Considering it's the NY Film Critics, one comes to expect more less mainstream choices, and Weisz seems to fall into that category the most. The voting must have been pretty interesting, considering the voting process ended up lasting a record five hours. :eek:

11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

IIRC, they don't name their shortlist / nominees, do they? Which would mean they're "up against" every other performance/film that came out this year. I agree Weisz is somewhat of a surprise, tho it's refreshing to see an award for a film that came out months ago instead of during Oscar bait season. I thought her performance was pretty great (even if the film wasn't), but as I haven't seen any of the Oscar-rumoured films yet it's hard to compare. And I haven't seen Magic Mike, but I though McConaughey was fabulous in Bernie.

The NY Film Critics also do things differently in that actors are given awards for more than one film within a single year. So last year Jessica Chastain won best supporting for her combined work in Tree of Life, The Help, and Take Shelter (tho, oddly enough, not Coriolanus).

12. peibeck

Carrying on from the previous post... (and trying to ignore that PeterG didn't like "The Artist" :drama: ), other upcoming film award announcements:

12/5 National Board of Review (winners and top 10 movies)
    12/7 LA Film Critics winners announced
    12/10 AFI (American Film Institute) winners announced
    12/11 Critics Choice nominations
    12/12 SAG (Screen Actors Guild) noms
    12/13 Golden Globe nominations

1/3 Writers Guild, Producers Guild and Art Directors Guild announce their nominees
    1/5 Int'l Society of Film Critics Awards
    1/8 Directors Guild nominations
    1/10 Oscar nominations

13. peibeck

They don't generally announce it, but other potential winners often get discussed.

NYFCC members J. Hoberman and Lou Lumenick dish marathon voting

http://www.goldderby.com/news/

It talks about how Weisz got her win, and how "Beasts of the Southern Wild" which was the frontrunner for Best First Film ended up losing. Perhaps most surprising, Spielberg out in the first round of balloting by getting no votes for Best Director, despite strong support for the film overall.

14. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Les Miserables' leads with 10 Satellite Award nominations

The Major Categories:

FILM

BEST PICTURE
    “Argo”
    “Beasts Of The Southern Wild”
    “Life Of Pi”
    “Lincoln”
    “Les Misérables”
    “Moonrise Kingdom”
    “The Sessions”
    “Silver Linings Playbook”
    “Skyfall”
    “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Ben Affleck, “Argo”
    Steven Spielberg, “Lincoln”
    Kim Ki-duk, “Pieta“
    Ben Lewin, “The Sessions”
    David O. Russell, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Kathryn Bigelow, “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST ACTRESS
    Laura Birn, “Purge”
    Jessica Chastain, “Zero Dark Thirty”
    Emilie Dequenne, “Our Children”
    Keira Knightley, “Anna Karenina”
    Jennifer Lawrence, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Laura Linney, “Hyde Park On Hudson”
    Emmanuelle Riva, “Amour”

BEST ACTOR
    Bradley Cooper, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Lincoln”
    John Hawkes, “The Sessions”
    Hugh Jackman, “Les Misérables”
    Joaquin Phoenix, “The Master”
    Omar Sy, “The Intouchables”
    Denzel Washington, “Flight”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Amy Adams, “The Master”
    Samantha Barks, “Les Miserables“
    Judi Dench, “Skyfall”
    Helene Florent, “Café De Flore”
    Anne Hathaway, “Les Misérables”
    Helen Hunt, “The Sessions”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Javier Bardem, “Skyfall”
    Robert De Niro, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    John Goodman, “Flight”
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, “The Master”
    Tommy Lee Jones, “Lincoln”
    Eddie Redmayne, “Les Misérables”

15. peibeck

NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW AWARD TO "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

Best Film: ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Actor: Bradley Cooper, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Supporting Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, DJANGO UNCHAINED
    Best Supporting Actress: Ann Dowd, COMPLIANCE
    Best Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson, LOOPER
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David O. Russell, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    Best Animated Feature: WRECK-IT RALPH
    Special Achievement in Filmmaking: Ben Affleck, ARGO
    Breakthrough Actor: Tom Holland, THE IMPOSSIBLE
    Breakthrough Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    Best Directorial Debut: Benh Zeitlin, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    Best Foreign Language Film: AMOUR
    Best Documentary: SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN
    William K. Everson Film History Award: 50 YEARS OF BOND FILMS
    Best Ensemble: LES MISÉRABLES
    Spotlight Award: John Goodman (ARGO, FLIGHT, PARANORMAN, TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE)
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: CENTRAL PARK FIVE
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: PROMISED LAND
    Top Films
    (in alphabetical order)
    ARGO
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    DJANGO UNCHAINED
    LES MISÉRABLES
    LINCOLN
    LOOPER
    THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER
    PROMISED LAND
    SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is going to be a repeat of The Hurt Locker and sweep all the critics awards to the point that not even Oscar can ignore it. Is there a feel-good, easily digestible film that the Academy is going to love instead? The last time a movie swept all the critics' awards but lost the guild awards and the Oscar is when The Social Network lost to that BBC movie with a bigger budget...I mean The King's Speech.

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I know they love the idea of Ben Affleck's comeback but I don't know if they love "Argo" enough for a best picture award.

18. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, Silver Linings Playbook is feel-good in the sense that it has it's moments and ends on a good note, but I don't think it's a Best Picture winner. Nominated for sure, but not a winner.

I'm surprised Zero Dark Thirty is getting so many noms; I was under the impression that it wasn't doing that well critically? Guess I got my info wrong.

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Zero Dark Thirty is currently 100% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but it is still early. It seems to be setting itself up as the early critics' favorite, although that hasn't been an indication of how the Oscars have recently gone with more feel good/simpler movies like The King's Speech or The Artist recently winning.

20. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

21. Vash01

Lincoln should be a good challenger to ZDT, but it really should be the front runner, not a challenger. I would hate to see a repeat of the Hurt Locker win.

BTW, years ago, I think LA Confidential won a lot of critics awards, but the Oscar went to Titanic.

22. Vash01

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, I thought the performances in Lincoln were terrific, but the overall impact of the movie was not so strong. I give it a B+ and don't think it's best picture material at all. It had no staying power with me; it's been a week since I saw it and I barely remember it. Frankly, I thought Skyfall was a better movie.

24. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The Oscars traditional like British films, and feel good ones. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel fits that mold.
    But also, they seem to have short memories. Pictures that debut earlier in the year don't usually have the steam to keep going by the time ballots are sent out.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that movies' impact on the audience losing its luster whereas movies that released later have an advantage in that the Academy voters haven't had time to sort of "get over" the movies that are released later. Also, studios tend to save their best for this season so a film (that's not seen as holiday filler) that wants to be taken seriously tend to get released during the awards season.

I did wonder if the advent of DVD and internet streaming sort of lessened the impact of later released films having the absolute advantage they did before or if its impact is marginal at best.

For those of you who were award aficionados in the past, was it always like this or did the Miramax uber Oscar-campaigning of the 90s sort of create this culture?

I do hope this year is competitive, but usually people don't tune in when there's no grand epic to sweep the awards. People like seeing movies like Titanic take it all because as much as I didn't like the movie, I can't deny that the general public felt a strong connection to it.

26. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't see Best Exotic making the Oscar cut. Well, maybe a supporting acting nom or two. Not because of how long ago it came out, but because it just isn't an "Oscar" movie. It's a British feel-good in the same vein as The Full Monty, Calendar Girls, Waking Ned Devine, etc. And it's more comedy than drama, and comedies don't win Oscars. It might make the nomination list, now that they have 10 slots to fill ... but zero chance of winning.

It doesn't compare to The King's Speech. That was an "Oscar" film.

27. Vash01

ITA about Marigold, but comedies have won the Oscar in very rare cases. Shakespeare in love, for example.

28. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I'm not saying Marigold would win. I'm just saying it hits all the check marks for the type of movie that Oscars seem to prefer. It is just my example of a move from this year. I would not be surprised to see Maggie Smith nominated, though. Maybe cinematography, too.

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't know if Miramax started the uber-campaigns but I certainly remember a lot of ruffled feathers regarding the campaigns when "Shakespeare In Love" won the Oscar beating out "Saving Private Ryan." I wonder if there is a good book or magazine article that details the history of Oscar campaigns.

http://youtu.be/9jFZOicwtBw (Star Trek teaser---looks good!) This has nothing to do with the discussion I just enjoyed this preview.

30. Vash01

I saw The Sessions today. It was very good. Should expect Oscar noms for John Hawke and Helen Hunt. I did not know this was based on a real life character Mark O'Brian, till I saw the end credits.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012