Kurt Browning & Elvis Stojko in Conversation

Teenes

Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko sat down for a long chat looking back at their careers, from the first time they met, through their great rivalry of the early 90’s, to touring together in Stars on Ice today. They answered questions from their fans, shared anecdotes and memories, reflected on their very different approaches to their sport, and learned new things about each other in the process. Come join them for laughs, memories, and some very thoughtful and insightful life advice. This interview has been in the works for a while, and I'm happy we finally made it happen!

barbk

Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko sat down for a long chat looking back at their careers, from the first time they met, through their great rivalry of the early 90’s, to touring together in Stars on Ice today. They answered questions from their fans, shared anecdotes and memories, reflected on their very different approaches to their sport, and learned new things about each other in the process. Come join them for laughs, memories, and some very thoughtful and insightful life advice. This interview has been in the works for a while, and I'm happy we finally made it happen!

Wow. I'm only about a third of the way through it, but this is a fabulous chat. Just incredible -- thank you so much for organizing it.

barbk

Funny observation: Kurt does not like wearing glasses. He keeps trying to read question without them, then puts them back on to read. Next shot has the glasses off again. Elvis helpfully suggested that he just leave them on, but Kurt wasn't having it. I'd say he's gone through this off-on-off routine at least 20 times so far.

skategal

Bunny mama
Funny observation: Kurt does not like wearing glasses. He keeps trying to read question without them, then puts them back on to read. Next shot has the glasses off again. Elvis helpfully suggested that he just leave them on, but Kurt wasn't having it. I'd say he's gone through this off-on-off routine at least 20 times so far.
I was thinking the same thing as Elvis. Just keep them on. :rofl:

I loved hearing from Elvis. His stories were wonderful.

As a huge Kurt fan, I think I have heard more from him and knew more about him but didn’t know as much about Elvis.

I thought it was great.

Desperado

He asked Elvis if he needed glasses to read and he said no, he then commented that the fact he still had hair and didn't need glasses hit the ego hard. :D

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I will have to make some time to watch this. Sounds great.

I recently participated in a Zoom that someone organised with Kurt where he discussed Worlds and Olympics. Very engaging and down to earth which he always gave me that impression he was. But it was also a discussion and he was interested in hearing what others thought too. It went for about 2 hours.

honey

Really great interview! Two legends, and so important still to Canadian skating. The SOI audience is still very much excited to see them.

I really loved them talking about 93 Canadians. That was one of the first competitions I was old enough to really understand a rivalry and it was thrilling. Crazy that they are still out there touring all these years later.

Teenes

He asked Elvis if he needed glasses to read and he said no, he then commented that the fact he still had hair and didn't need glasses hit the ego hard. :D

Heh, that characterizes his response a bit more maturely than he expressed it ;).

So glad you all are enjoying the interview! I heard stories and learned things I didn't know before (especially about Elvis), but what I really loved was that so did they!

Teenes

Two more clips:
Kurt and Elvis discuss which quads they've tried (aside from the toe)
Kurt and Elvis discuss the importance of cross training

I made these clips partly to promote the interview and partly because I know the whole interview is really long and not everyone has time to sit and watch it. However, if you do, I did add English subtitles to the original interview video. They should be a lot better than the auto-generated ones for non-native English speakers, the hard of hearing, and whoever just prefers to have subtitles. Hope they help!

soogar

Thanks! I had listened to the whole interview but this practical advice for skaters is the part that stood out for me. There is so much focus on competition and the Olympics that fans and skaters often forget the other avenues that are available to them. I like the fact that Elvis really respects his wife's experience as a Disney skater. I believe that Elvis himself skated at Busch Gardens so I think it is really cool that he highlights these other venues. Brian Orser had brought that up in one of his interviews, about preparing skaters for skating in shows. My understanding from the context, is that he tries to give a solid basic technical base with good skating skills so the skater will be versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information