Kostner considering quitting?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by alij, Jul 6, 2012.

1. alij

alij Active Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

This is also being discussed in the Kostner thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3613795#post3613795

3. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

To read her use words like sacrifice to describe her choice to skate and not live a normal life hits me in my core. She has done so much, and has so much more to do that i would not blame her for going out on an extremely high note. I wish her the best and would understand whatever decision she makes. This past year she dominated the circuit like Kim did.

Good luck Kostner.

4. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

She finished 9th and 16th at the Olympics...you would think that it would motivate her to finish on a high note in Sochi.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

With all the young skater coming up and now Kim announcing her return too, I think that she must realise that it wouldn't be easy for her to medal.

6. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

This is sad news. It feels sort of an end of an era especially from a European perspective. :(

7. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It reminds me of Jeff Buttle. People couldn't understand why he would retire with the next Olympics in Canada but he didn't have the motivation anymore to put all the time in training. It sounds similar to Carolina and in a way they are similar skaters. I think she┬┤ll be very happy in the next stage of her life/career just as Buttle seems extremely happy with his. I think she is making a wise decision (a little premature but why bring it up if you aren't seriously about to retire).

8. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

I am a Carolina Kostner uber since I first saw her at the 2003 European Championships. I think if she decides to retire I would be very sad, but after all the highs and lows of her career I could understand it.

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

She could wait until after the Sochi Olympics but if she is in a place where retiring after winning worlds is fulfilling for her than more power to her! Like Sarah Meier won Euros and than didn't go to worlds. I think that was before worlds was even delayed. It just wasn't part of the picture.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I am thinking the word is likely a translation issue- but I don't think she could be considered to be "quitting" at this point. Retiring, maybe.

If she chooses to not compete any longer, I won't consider her to be a quitter for not making it to through the Olympic cycle. She has achieved fantastic things. I think it is fine to go out on a high note.

11. alij

alij Active Member

Must admit I hadn't even taken quitting in this context to mean anything other than leaving the competitive scene on a high note, more than many she has proven throughout her career that she is anything but a quitter.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's competed for so many years now. Given how successful her last season was, it's the perfect moment to finish her competitive career.

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I agree with the whole "go out on a high note" thing. Carolina's win at worlds was refreshing. It was great to see solid jumps and superb presentation beat out a display of jumps and nothing else.

However, with the younger crop of skaters entering the field and stronger competitors returning (Miki, Yu-Na) it might be good for Carolina to make her exit now. I think if she continues to compete she would still be a medal threat; based on her PCS alone, she's a medal threat. But I doubt very much that this year's worlds will be anything like last year's. The technical content will be high and high risk, and in order for Carolina to compete, she'd have to reintroduce her lutz and flip back into her arsenal. Didn't she forego surgery on her knee b/c of those two jumps? Maybe she's weighing whether or not it's worth it at this point.

I can't see her winning in Soichi...top 5 probably. If she does decide to hang up her skates, she couldn't have picked a better time in her career to do it. I've gained a real appreciation for her skating these last two years so I'd be sad to see her go. But to go out on top...there's no beating that.

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I hope not. Kostner and Suzuki are the reason I even watch the ladies. Now it's going to be dominated by teeny boppers that I cannot relate to and simply do not care for. Sigh....... Oh and what's worse, the Queen and her ubers are coming back.

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^I agree.

She is an Italian national champ, multi-European Champ, and now a World Champ. She has been a top Senior competitor since 2003 (I remember her Bambi-like in DC at '03 Worlds in the final group of ladies). So, if she wants to retire on a high note after all that, all power to her.

She probably knows that an Olympic medal in '14 will involve 3-3's and a 3z, and may be her body is telling her that it won't take too much more punishing work-outs, stressful competitions, long seasons, etc ...

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She's got to be towards the top of anyone's list for shows. If she stops competing, I'm sure she can call her own shots.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

19. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

No translation issues here. Many italians articles mentioned she's considering "leaving" the sport (lasciare, in italian) which is the most inappropriate word. They just don't realize that while she's young enough for the real life, she's not for skating. They simply don't know the sport, the discipline of woman's single skating, the history of the sport and the young competitors behind her. So she's not really "leaving" or quitting anything but competitive skating. She's definetely staying in the sport somehow, you can tell by watching the pure joy she was expressing in her skating this season.
    Retiring is the right word both in english or italian. And after all, I'd be happy for her if she retires now. Still, there is some remaining desire for a perfect skate at the Olympics, but maybe as she already had 2 shots it wasn't just meant to be, and it's two years, it's a very long road to Sochi.

20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Nooooo!!! I was so excited to see her skate at TEB!

21. martyross

martyross Active Member

Ashley and Suzuki skated wonderfully actually.

22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think Leonova was the target there. Kostner beat her by 5.

23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

this. !

24. kwanatic

Yes, I was referring to Kostner beating Leonova for gold. I honestly thought Akiko should have been 2nd and Ashley a very narrow 3rd. Alena's energy is great and most of her jumps were good, but the rest of her skating is a freakin' joke. The other three ladies had well choreographed balanced programs. Alena had nothing even close to that.

To see the judges reward that SP a top score made me wanna puke; all she did was jump and wiggle her hips with her mouth wide open...I might have quit watching skating if Alena ended up the world champion.:scream:

From reading that IN article it almost sounds like Miki is being roped into competing...

That doesn't sound like someone who is committed to returning to competition for the right reasons...:confused:

25. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    I feel the same with Yuna's comeback,
    they need some sort of new driving force !!

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I agree with you Leonova's programs are empty in between jumps, but I don't think her basic skating quality is to blame. I saw her live a couple of times now and she has good edges and power. It's too bad Morozov has her skating around on two feet while slashing throats or looking angsty since I think she could handle some challenging choreography -and do it justice.

27. kwanatic

And that's all I'm saying. She has nice jumps, good speed and great energy...but her packaging is nothing short of a travesty. Awarding that kind of "choreography" and "interpretation" is going to run this sport right into the ground. That's why I was so appreciative of Carolina winning with two well done programs and also why I felt Akiko and Ashley should have placed higher.

Alena seems like a sweet girl and she's definitely talented, but her skating reminds me a lot of Irina Slutskaya. I respected the hell outta Irina for being a tough competitor, her longevity and her love of the sport...but her skating always left me feeling queasy too. I guess it's a matter of preference. I like the speed and power and all of that, but I prefer that ladies don't look like clunky unrefined tanks when they skate. That's just me though...:shuffle:

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Well it's a long road to Sochi and lets face it Miki and Carolina have both gone to two Olympics and haven't won a medal and maybe they don't feel like doing all the work that's needed to compete again. They are both not getting any younger either. As for Kim she has the Gold medal she doesn't have anything else to shoot for now. That's why i like with every new Olympics you have new skaters with their own stories to tell not just a rehash of old stories and old skaters. It's time for the new kids to shine. I think they are ready.

29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

But the whole point of going to Sochi for Carolina and Miki would be *not* to rehash their previous Olympics, but actually skate well (in Kostner's case) or with some emotion (for Ando). Whether or not you'd be interested in seeing that is up to you...I for one would be :watch:

30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Just to add one important factor into the discussion...

Don't forget that one really wonky bad knee Carolina's got. I remember some complaining that while she landed her jumps at Worlds, where was the lutz? IIRC she decided not to do it because of the stress it put on her already badly damaged knee.

Considering she would be going on out on a high, as winning Worlds isn't exactly something to sneeze at, the knee and w/Kim and Ando both coming back w/perhaps Joannie as well, it sounds to me Carolina's making the choice of what's the right thing to do for her. She's been around for a very long time now and the sacrifices she's had to make to reach the top spot of the podium in March...Not even all of us know all of the choices she's had to make over the years.

As a long time Carolina fan, I was so beyond thrilled for her finally adding that World Title to her achievements this Spring. I hope that whatever she does decide to do, it's what makes her happy and that Carolina's also at peace w/her choice. If she does decide to stop competiting however, I'd miss seeing her out there.