Johnny Closes on 1.1 Million Dollar Condo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. REO

REO New Member

You're not wrong. Evan and Tara may not be popular skaters, but every thread about Johnny is hundreds of posts long, with his detracters sniping away and hoping in their secret little hearts that something awful will happen to him because he didn't fulfill their expectations or meet their standards versus his fans who defend him to the death. It's gotten a little boring actually. You know what certain people are going to say before you read their posts.

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Unlike your own?

3. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

PML, yes, and in more than one thread. Just a few months ago, people were wondering how much the value had dropped and how Tara could afford to keep that house AND have an apartment in LA.

I don't know if there's been much discussion of his home, but there was a very long and snarky thread about his car.

If we didn't speculate about stuff, we wouldn't have much to talk about.

Yes, but there was quite a bit of discussion about the rest of the book and more excerpts than just the preface.

4. REO

REO New Member

That's right pot. I'm a kettle.

5. REO

REO New Member

That's right Pot. I'm a kettle. :lol:

6. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Oh the irony. No JW thread is the same without it. :)

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

So.

Today, I mean yesterday since it's after midnight, in any event Friday. Yes, Friday. I had some unpleasant business to attend to in my hometown and I was driving along Route 3, blasting my "American Idiot" cd with the windows down, enjoying the freakishly unseasonably warm sunny day. And as I'm driving along Route 3 with Green Day blasting in my face and swamp air blowing through my hair who should I happen to see pulling off the highway but that little filet of tenderloin, Johnny Weir. Now, my first instinct was to lay down hard on the horn and give him the finger because that's how we say hello in Jersey, but he looked to be in his own private Idaho and was singing to himself, rather aggressively, and I didn't want to startle him with a big fat blast of a car horn. So I didn't. You know how easily the boy gets spooked, he might have driven off the road and crashed into the guardrail and landed in the swamp and who needs that kind of nonsense just before moving day? He must be hungover from all the Fashion Week partying and was having a rough hair day because as I said it was a freakishly warm day and I had my windows cranked all the way down, but there was the tenderloin merrily driving along in a knitted hat with his windows cranked all the way up. Singing to himself. Or perhaps screaming at someone on a hands-free device. But I suspect it was singing or some other sort of joviality because he looked rather happy. I drove on and tended to my unpleasant business and then went to a diner and enjoyed some phenomenally mediocre crab cakes with the Early Bird crowd.

True story. If you don't believe me ask the boy if he was driving on Route 3 while wearing a knitted cap at about 3:30pm on Friday. ;)

And Johnny Weir, really. You've been living here for more than three years now so why don't you have Jersey plates on that shitwagon? You cheap bastard.

8. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

9. REO

REO New Member

That was the greatest post in this whole thread. It totally sounds like him. Everyone says he's the worst driver in the world. :lol::lol:

10. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Johnny is almost certainly in AMT range and cannot deduct property taxes (or state & local taxes).

Yeah, on a jumbo loan (above $719k in NYC), 30% down is not an uncommon requirement, and mortgage rates are generally higher as well. That said, depending on the rest of his finances, it's possible that he could've purchased the apartment with as little as 10% down.

Taxes are separate for condos. In a co-op, the corporation owns the building and pays the taxes. There is one "BBL" number for the building, and the tax bill is sent to the corporation (or its underlying mortgage company, if escrowed). Condo units each have their own "BBL number," and the bill goes directly to each owner (or their mortgage company, if escrowed).

Nope. For co-ops, there is a single "maintenance" charge that includes property taxes. For condos, there are the "common charges" that fund the building's operations -- e.g., doorman, general upkeep, common utilities, common elements, reserves -- and taxes are completely separate.

These taxes are low because they are abated for 10 years. Every two years, 20% of the market value will be phased in until, ultimately, the taxes will be at market rate at the end of 10 years. Market rate will be about $1,100 per month per a quick lookup, and as mentioned, this is generally not deductible for high income earners.

See above for tax explanation. And just to clarify, condo associations in NY cannot take out building mortgages or home equity lines the way co-ops can. In NY, they can, however, take out loans are that are secured by the common charges that the owners pay.

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Have no idea about Johnny but CNN has done little snippets about fashion week and they said the models get anywhere from $500 to $15,000 for walking the cat walk.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I understand that the property taxes for a condo are not included in the maintenance and are the liability of the condo owner, but you explained why the $48 can't be property tax, regardless of what the breakdown says.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I found myself driving behind Johnny once on RT 46. He is definitely a speed demon.

14. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

You can see the property tax statement at http://nycprop.nyc.gov/nycproperty/StatementSearch?bbl=1008591300&stmtDate=20101119&stmtType=SOA

Annual taxes: $13,186
    421(a) abatement: ($12,598)
    J51 abatement: ($6)
    Total: $582 / 12 = $48.50 per month.

This will increase (substantially) every two years until the taxes reach the market rate at the conclusion of 10 years.

Incidentally, this is one of many reasons I feel the new developments are overpriced and will not hold their value. In 10 years, the carrying costs alone on this very small apartment will be over $2,000 not accounting for inflation. When you buy into a tax abated building, I think you're paying for the present value of that tax abatement, which diminishes over time.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Southpaw, a masterpiece of a post! But you didn't tell us--what kind of car was Johnny driving?

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Really?

17. Southpaw

The same shitwagon he's been driving for years, which means that everyone can strike a car payment from his speculated monthly budget because it's surely paid off by now.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I saw him driving a Lexus SUV in his show--is that the shitwagon to which you are referring?

19. Southpaw

That is the shitwagon, yes.

20. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Since when is a lexus a shitwagon?

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sorry, I didn't realize I had posted: I thought I had kept it active on my phone until I had time to proof it.

I meant to say that you had show that it wasn't property tax "for the building separate from the condos".

Does the bank/lender factor in the ability to pay the full amount of property taxes plus likely increases without having any tax deduction (due to AMT)?

22. Southpaw

Maybe the rest of the world doesn't think of a Lexus as a shitwagon. But I'm not the rest of the world. I follow my own rules. I'm not a conformist. So if I say Johnny's Weir's Lexus is a shitwagon then that is my poetic right. Right?

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  23. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

my first instinct was to lay down hard on the horn and give him the finger because that's how we say hello in Jersey,

Oh! Thank you, Southpaw! Thank you so very much! And just to think I was taking it the wrong way on so many occasions. I am ashamed of my own poor behavior...thinking the worse of my fellow drivers. They were just being friendly! Such nice people! I'll certainly remember this on my next drive through Jersey! I'll just smile, give them a blast from the old horn and return this neighborly gesture! :lol: THANKS AGAIN!!!

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

How did you know it was him? On occasion I've been on route 3 or 46 and seen a Lexus SUV, but I have no idea if it's him, or I see the driver and it's NOT him (what are the odds, anyway). I think Johnny has a Russia sticker or something on the back of his car.

25. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

AFAIK, the bank/lender ignores tax deduction altogether and does not factor in the unabated taxes. But we avoided the new, tax-abated buildings for the reasons I mentioned. :)

26. Hooloovoo

Hooloovoo New Member

27. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hopefully no one will find out the writer's name or where s/he lives.....Johnny's Angels would hunt him/her down like a dog. Maybe even set their house on fire.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am not even going to comment on what Johnny is wearing in that photo, but that bag he is holding is the new Louis Vuitton (unless it's a Birkin). The reason I know this is that the other day I was having a manicure (yes, I gave up on the idea of doing my own nails for now) and in walks this lady carrying a small Chanel quilted bag, wearing Chanel sunglasses, who proceeds to show off her newest purchase to the manicure ladies--among them this very bag. It's very pretty. Interestingly enough the fancy bag lady (no pun intended) was driving a Honda.

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Well, the third one would have been fine minus the dead whatever he had thrown over one shoulder.

I note that Johnny's tote is larger than mine. I wonder what all he has to carry around?