How do you get rid of junk emails that are out of the roof?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have always received junk emails and phishing scams. The latter are easy to recognize, and in an astonishingly small numbers when I consider the volume of junk emails.

In recent months the volume of junk emails has really gone through the roof for me, and I am sick and tired of them. Many are advertisements to buy their products, offering discounts, and also from organizations like NWF, Nature conservancy, etc. I don't mind some of them, but when the junk keeps offering me sex improvement products, I feel really disgusted. How did these people not get sent to my junk mail folder automatically, and occasionally a genuine email by a known entity gets sent to the junk folder?

Very recently (about a month) I have been inundated with emails like "Congratulations! You have won a $1000 card from Walmart" and similar emails using names of different stores. It is spam, obviously.

I get so tired getting rid of unwanted email that sometimes I may even delete something that interests me because I just don't have the time to read it. For example, I like photography. If I enter one photography contest or one photography related item on line, I get showered with everything related to photography. Last night I even declined a free e-book of possibly gorgeous photos of Iceland.

Is there a remedy?

I use my Hotmail account for almost everything, and I use my gmail for only a few things like sending pictures to family members. Right now I can't just switch over to gmail for everything. I will have to contact too many people to make the switch. In the past I got out of Yahoo email because the ads became unbearable. I never went back to Yahoo.

I should mention that with my Windows 10 computer I can only use Edge for my browser. Earlier I used to use Firefox. I never had success with google chrome. Somehow I just find it very difficult to use (like unable to access sites or links that I easily access with others, and most of the time I can't access them at all).

Cherub721

YEAH!
I get so tired getting rid of unwanted email that sometimes I may even delete something that interests me because I just don't have the time to read it. For example, I like photography. If I enter one photography contest or one photography related item on line, I get showered with everything related to photography. Last night I even declined a free e-book of possibly gorgeous photos of Iceland.

For those types of emails (that come from legitimate sites, not the sex and spam emails), there should be an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email to get yourself taken off the list.

I should mention that with my Windows 10 computer I can only use Edge for my browser. Earlier I used to use Firefox. I never had success with google chrome. Somehow I just find it very difficult to use (like unable to access sites or links that I easily access with others, and most of the time I can't access them at all)

I have a Windows 10 laptop and I was able to download and use firefox. Am using it right now. https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerele...re-or-choose-firefox-as-your-default-browser/ This won't really have an effect on your emails, though.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
For those types of emails (that come from legitimate sites, not the sex and spam emails), there should be an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email to get yourself taken off the list.

Except for some of these - even at legitimate sites - clicking on the "unsubscribe" link just verifies that the email reached an active account. So the emails may stop for a while, but then they might start right back up again. And some unscrupulous vendors sell their lists of active accounts to other sites.

Filter your account, like @Prancer suggests, or just go through and delete the spam/unwanted messages before reading the messages you want to see. There are worse problems in the world to have than spam.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
If you have a block feature, you can do that, too. I've found in the past, though, that as soon as the sender/spammer discovers they've been blocked, it doesn't make it any better. They'll just make up another e-mail address and send even more. They usually go by lists they've accumulated and aren't sure sometimes if your e-mail is real yet. Scammers also get lists of valid e-mail addresses from other spammers.

They will discover it is real if you block it. My e-mail is very good about sending all of it to my junk file. Sometimes, legitimate e-mail is sent to the junk file. I'm able to look at the junk mail without ever opening it. I just put my curser over whoever sent the e-mail and it let's me see the e-mail address, etc. I just go to the top and click on "Empty".

I may get about 8 or 9 junk e-mails a day which isn't too bad, but they're definitely scam. The best advice I can give is to never open it and don't block it because they will then know you're for real when they try to send another e-mail. That's when you start getting bombarded with junk mail.

I learned this when I still had WebTV. So, when the terminal became old and MSN stopped service on it, I didn't block anything on my laptops and I had two different e-mail addresses that I use with them.

Japanfan

'Unsubscribe' has always worked for me, at least in the case of services I've used (e.g. rental car or airline emaling new offers).

And I use filters as well. Plus I have alternative email addresses to use in cases where I fear inundation. And, my email program regularly asks to delete junk. The only problem is, once in a while a legit email goes to junk for some reason.

Even so, my junk box is always full. I am particularly annoyed by Facebook emailing me every single time a friend posts something. And by LinkedIn, which emails me several times a day it seems. Anyway to get out of those two situations?

Jay42

Between the click of the light
If you go into your Facebook settings, click notifications then click edit next to email address you can choose what stuff gets emailed to you. I don't know anything about LinkedIn though.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
'I am particularly annoyed by Facebook emailing me every single time a friend posts something.

Edit your Notification Settings in Facebook. Go to Privacy Settings -->More Settings-->Notifications. Set your email notifications to Only Important Notifications.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
'Unsubscribe' has always worked for me, at least in the case of services I've used (e.g. rental car or airline emaling new offers).

And I use filters as well. Plus I have alternative email addresses to use in cases where I fear inundation. And, my email program regularly asks to delete junk. The only problem is, once in a while a legit email goes to junk for some reason.

Even so, my junk box is always full. I am particularly annoyed by Facebook emailing me every single time a friend posts something. And by LinkedIn, which emails me several times a day it seems. Anyway to get out of those two situations?

There is a way by selecting to not receive these messages. Once I am home, I can go to my facebook page to see how it's done. I can't do it from work.

ETA: Just saw that Prancer beat me to it.

rjblue

Having a great day!
Very recently (about a month) I have been inundated with emails like "Congratulations! You have won a $1000 card from Walmart" and similar emails using names of different stores. It is spam, obviously.
My daughter once checked her junk email box and found a notice like that from Chapters (canadian bookstore) and it was genuine. She found it in time to collect the prize.

I, on the other hand, didn't notice until 6 months after the concert that sirius radio had given me tickets to see City and Colour. I check my mail often now. If it is a business I've given my email to, the prize or coupon is genuine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information