Hospital Nurse Who Took Kate Hoax Call Found Dead

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lurvylurker, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I think it is appalling. I hate when radio personalities do this. They do it every week in my city when they try to catch someone cheating. It's awful.

I knew a coworker who had the worst of the worst with her partner. Physically abusive, emotionally abusive. The only thing she had was her work. Every day she wanted to kill herself and was just waiting for a signal. I would not be surprised if this worker was similar. You know the hospital went after her, and probably tried to fire her. When work is gone, nothing else is left. It's tragic.

Not a fan of these pranks. They can really cause harm, as this thread shows. Don't play with someone's emotions, you don't know where they are in their life. This Aussie duo has to know that they caused the death of this woman. Hopefully they aren't still laughing. The tape of them laughing is sickening. I mean, really? How sad.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Silver Lining

Silver Lining New Member

This wasn't an ordinary hospital, it was one used frequently by the royal family. From their website: "The Hospital has a strong tradition of excellence in nursing. Our nursing staff are some of the very best and - unlike many hospitals - the vast majority are permanently employed by us."

An article here describes Jacintha as being bubbly, hard working, but nervous and needing a confidence boost now and then. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...nd-generous-soul/story-e6frg6n6-1226532841906

3. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Of course they're not still laughing. They've been taken off air, might lose their jobs, have been silenced by their employers and told not to comment, and are receiving death threats from all over the world.

They might be responsible for a bad prank that misfired, but they are human.

The real culprits are the listeners, not just of this station but of every station that does similar pranks. The listeners tolerate it and support it, and have done for years. It's all well and good for people to be outraged now that it has something to do with 'beloved' royals and there has been this horrific, unintended consequence. However, the vast majority of listeners of radio shows like this one should also shoulder some blame. No one wants to admit that they like these pranks in the face of what's happened, but the history of the shows and the ratings tell a different story.

You can't just blame the DJs, the station, the hospital for their privacy policy etc etc. There is no one person or group of people to blame. What's happened, and the outcry and death threats, is more a sick reflection of society as a whole than any individual.

People should be less interested in laying blame and slapping wrists and more interested in learning the lesson, IMO.

4. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

ITA. Why are trashy magazines that base their selling prowess on publishing photos of royals, pop stars etc taken without their permission still in circulation? To satisfy the "cravings" of nosey people who want to see what their "idols" are up to in their free time. It all boils down to one equation: no demand = no supply.

5. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Has any proof been found that the prank had anything to do with the nurse's suicide? I still don't understand the link...she's not the nurse who gave the confidential information, there was never a question of this nurse getting in trouble. That she killed herself is a tragedy, as is every suicide, but it may not have anything to do with the prank. That doesn't make the prank any less stupid, but I don't think it's the DJs fault. The listeners, heck even Prince Charles, were laughing before the woman committed suicide; that's the DJs job, to get laughs. I don't think it's funny, but some obviously did. Is anyone blaming Prince Charles? It's people who laugh at pranks like this that mean they continue.

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The prank itself is no worse than hundreds of harmless pranks that are attempted every April Fool's day. I personally don't think the DJs did anything wrong.

7. Silver Lining

Silver Lining New Member

8. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting opinion piece from an Australian newspaper.

I agree with most of it, but it's not just 'an English culture', it's an English speaking culture. As Michael pointed out above, the US magazines were drooling just as much over the royal baby story as the English ones, as were the Australian ones. And as a listener of Brisith radio, let me assure you that while no one made a prank call to the hospital that I'm aware of, loads of people were taking the piss, joking about baby names and other royals' reactions. Australian papers were just as :drama: after the call as British ones.

It does quite succinctly deal with the legal issues though. Bad taste isn't a crime.

9. bek

bek Guest

I disagree. Pranks are harmless only if they cause no permanent harm. If their prank was successful and nurses gave confidential material, those people could lose their jobs. There is nothing harmless about tricking someone to losing their job..

10. mkats

mkats New Member

11. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I think that if you perform an action, then you have to be willing to take responsibility for that action, no matter what the outcome is. Saying it's just a harmless joke or prank is an excuse to deflect blame. If you cannot be mature enough to be willing to accept that "the buck stops here--I did this and it blew up in my face" than I have no sympathy when you get a bunch of criticism. You thought this was funny--now you might lose your job. Too bad--should have thought about that before you made the phone call. You did it, now stop blaming everyone else for your poor judgement. It's not society's fault that you put that call through--no one was sitting there in the station with a gun to your head forcing you do that. Just two idiots who thought they were funnier than everyone else--and really nothing but a pair of stupid idiots with the mentality of a playground bully.

I think there are many pranks and crap that people try to excuse off because no one wants to say "you are a fcking immature bully" and you know damn well if someone pulled a prank like that on them they'd be screaming bloody murder all over the place. Too much blame passing--no one cares about the person on the end of the "joke" and how it's going to affect them. They don't think about that because they simply don't care. As long as it makes them feel like they scored a hit, then that's all that matters.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I felt the prank was done in poor taste but I also thought the initial reaction to the prank was way over-the-top. When there is so much going on in the world to see an attempted prank call make the national evening news broadcasts in the US was ridiculous imho. And that also goes for the ensuing finger pointing at the hospital for making the mistake of putting the call through. No wonder that poor woman felt badly.

13. bek

bek Guest

Well was the story that this journalist wrote true? However I am not sure how you can compare someone in the media exposing someone cheating customers. Vs what these radio host people did. What they did was NOT journalism. Everyone knew Catherine was in the hospital. Everyone knew she was pregnant. They were trying to get information-that they were not entitled too. Its not even comparable.

To be honest. I think the nurses in question should be able to sue these radio hosts (especially the other one on the tape). Did the lady agree to be on the radio show? And be humilated like that. There was nothing newsworthy about it and why should the radio show be able to use that lady for profit. That radio show should be sued.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  14. duane

duane New Member

I immediately thought this when I read this story, and suspect that eventually, it will be determined that the prank had little--if anything--to do with the suicide.

15. mkats

mkats New Member

^ I don't know if the story she wrote about is true. But the similarity is that in both cases, someone died because they humiliated them. Was the case in the above article much more warranted? Yes, of course. Were the DJs moronic and out of line? Yes, obviously. But they didn't set out to cause Jacintha Saldanha's death, however idiotic their original intentions, and we have no proof that their actions directly caused her death. Should they be fired, disciplined, not allowed back on the air, well I'd be in favor of that. But given that there was no way of foreseeing what ended up happening, I don't feel like we can hold them directly responsible for the fact that someone committed suicide.

I think that's all the author was getting at - that all the hysteria in either direction, looking for someone to blame, is not good for anybody.

16. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

It is very sad when a foolish act triggers a suiside, but I doubt that it was the only reason for the nurse to end her life.
    RIP :(

17. bek

bek Guest

Maybe they couldn't have forseen it. But the fact of the matter is they had no idea who they were pulling a prank on either. She was an anonymous stranger. I suspect that maybe this nurses's friends and family could have foreseen it.

However what they should have as reasonable people forseen is that showing the ability to get personal information about the Duchess's health might put a lot of stress on the Duchess who is already experiencing a hard pregnancy-that is easily forseeable. And the Duchess's medical condition was not ha! ha! funny joke. Women have died from it. Babies have been lost from it.

And something easily foreseeabe is someone losing their job and livelhood over that. So yes essentially ruining someone's life. And at the end of the day this wasn't somebody out to commit a crime.. Or someone who signed up as a public figure. But just someone who wanted to save lives as a nurse and was apparently proud to work at the hospital that serves the Queen. Proud to the point of living away from her family on the weekdays...

When you pull a prank like that on someone you don't know-yes you bare some responsibility from the unforseen consquences. Especially because we live in a very global world now. And some cultures hold the idea of honor and saving face to be of extreme importance. So what may seem like a silly get over it moment for some-isn't the same for others.

And then you may have others who may just be in a very fragile state just in general and not up for at all to be ridiculed worldwide. These pranksters were essentially messing with people they didn't know, who they had no business even talking too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  18. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Has it been determined it was suicide? I read she had been found on the street a few blocks from the hospital. That makes suicide seem less likely than some sort of mugging gone wrong or an accidental death such a heart attack. It seems more likely to me that someone accosted her on the street for her part in this prank and that led to the death in some way.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The jockeys weren't out to cause the nurses to lose their jobs, and they didn't go through some elaborate scenario to try and convince the nurses that they were members of the royal family; They simply spoke in a fake English accent. The nurse broke the patient's confidentiality rule. If she had lost her job because of it then it would've been deserved.

20. floskate

floskate Vacant

Link? Everything I have read and seen on the news here in the UK indicates that her body was found in a nurses accommodation building round the corner from the hospital.

21. bek

bek Guest

This particular nurse didn't reveal anything on the phone. She just transferred the call. However if the Queen was on perceived reveal list than yes info could have been given... We don't know if the nurses were suspecting a call from the Queen..If the Queen had called before. Or anything like that.

And the point is they lied and said they were the Queen and the Prince...The nurses in question would have never said anything if they hadn't lied. And what exactly do they think would have happened to these nursers if they believed their prank. Not to mention this particular nurse is Indian and so maybe would not have been fully able to distinguish the accents...

Apparently this particular nurse is not a receptionist it was busy etc. Perhaps she thought the other nurse would ask for the password, perhaps the other nurse thought they had given the password to Jacinda. Fact of the matter though is that if the radio show hosts hadn't-lied and claimed to be someone they weren't. No medical info would have been given. If the nursers breached any of the hospital policy in terms of authenticating calls than they are responsible for that.

But the people who lied and claimed to be people they weren't-are the most responsible. For a brief second they were attempting to steal other people's identities in order to get information that those identities would have been priviliged to have.

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I believe the facts have somewhat been lost along this thread. According to statements by the hospital, the nurse who has just died did not give any information about Kate's health condition. She simply answered the phone and put the call through to the related service. She had to pick up the phone because there was no telephone operator available, it being 5:30am. It was the second nurse who gave information.

Secondly, how do you know the nurses have broken any rules? Nowhere in the press have I read that hospitals in the UK give passwords or such to relatives, as is apparently the case in the US. If the nurses had broken any rules, they would have been suspended or at least disciplined, which wasn't the case. In all three countries I have lived in, you can call a hospital and enquire after your close relatives by giving their name and room number. The staff would not give you sensitive information such as whether the person is pregnant or the diagnosis for the patient's condition, but if they could, they would reassure you with simple things such as she is feeling better, she has slept well etc. It is all common sense.

floskate and (deleted member) like this.
  23. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...-tragic-death-leaves-few-unanswered-questions

Here's the part in question:

But you are right, I redid my Google search on cause of death and found 3 other articles that gave the address where she was found and it was not on the street like this articles says.

24. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And as others have said, this particular nurse only put the call through and didn't say anything. But otherwise, yes. They didn't set out to speak to the nurses and cause them to lose their jobs, they set out to be sworn at and hung up on. That was what they thought would happen when they asked to speak to 'my little Granddaughter Kate'. And she's not even the Queen's granddaughter, which is only part of why that call was absurd...

It may not be in the press, but I've said it before in this thread. Normally, when you call a hospital in the UK you have to answer security questions, which are normally questions to prove you know the patient, like their date of birth, address, room number etc. In other hospitals, you have a PIN. Even then, they'd only say what you said and not give out sensitive information.

I think in this situation, given it was early, busy and given they thought it was the Queen, they threw the rule book out.

Bek, have you listened to the call? Listened, rather than just read a transcript? My first thought when I heard it, when it first happened, was that it was unbelievable that the call was put through. They didn't set out for the call to be put through, or to get personal information about Kate. They asked to speak TO Kate, not to her nurse about private medical details. And it wasn't just the fake accents that made it totally absurd. Listen to it, and see if you still feel the same. The overblown reaction in the media seems to have obscured the tone of the call, as well as the purpose. Any reasonable person would have thought they'd be hung up on, and have a skit to play where the nurse told them to get lost.

They shouldn't have called. I'm not saying they should have, but the whole thing was so absurd that the palace never commented and Charles joked about it. He's not known for his humour - he probably wouldn't joke unless he found it funny. The media, including social media, caused the storm in the teacup.

As for the nurses suing - on what grounds? Emotional distress isn't a reason in UK or Australian law. There are no punitive damages. Damages are aimed to put you in the financial position you'd be in if you hadn't been wronged. If it were to be proven that the radio prank was directly responsible for the nurse's death, than they could have to pay the funeral costs etc, but as others have said, it's possibly not the real reason for it.

It's horrible, and it's tragic, but I think a lot of the outrage is people speaking with pure emotion and not thinking rationally about the situation at all.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  25. bek

bek Guest

And so it would have been better for them to speak to Kate? It was after all 5:30 am in the morning in Great Britain. And as for a pin, maybe there wasn't one-who the heck knows what went on there.. The Queen's B-day unfortunately is well known-isn't it?

This particular nurse was from India (and who knows about the other nurse) she might have a more difficult time distinguishing between accents given English isn't her first language. It doesn't matter if people should have known that it wasn't the Queen or Prince Charles. The point is they pretended to be them, and when they realized their actions were actually believed-didn't put a stop to it.

If you attempt to deceive someone even as a joke-the onus starts with you. And perhaps Prince Charles laughed because he didn't know what else to do. It doesn't mean that his son found it so funny. Reports are Prince William was furious.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Because reports about William are always SO reliable. Reports are, Kate's been pregnant since her honeymoon ;)

The point is, you can go back and forth laying blame and it you're just going in circles. Sue is right...the DJs need to end it and take some (although I disagree with all) of the responsibility. They possibly would if they hadn't been gagged, but I'm sure that's been done so not to inflame the situation further.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  27. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't care the reason, the thought process, the anything. Those sorts of pranks are just another form of bullying and I'm sick of them. I don't listen to radio shows that try and pull them off, I don't buy celebrity magazines and celebrity tabloids but enough people do that make that behavior profitable. Screw them all.

If anyone's life is enriched or enhanced by this garbage then it's a sad life to begin with.

28. duane

duane New Member

To those expressing such outrage over pranks, you've never watched Candid Camera, Just Kidding, Punk'd, Prank My Mom, Scare Tactics, or any of the many similar prank shows that have come and gone over the years? You've never played an elaborate practical or April's Fools joke on someone?

Pranks and practical jokes are here to stay. This won't change anything.

29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Never watched any of those shows except for some reruns of the original Candid Camera. I do have a sense of humor but watching someone deliberately be put in an awkward situation doesn't trigger it. YMOV.

once_upon likes this.
  30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I agree. My only point was that it's not just the DJs or radio station to blame, but everyone who buys into it.

Pranks and practical jokes are fine if they're harmless, but there's a huge difference between putting a whoopee cushion on a chair and tricking and humiliating someone.

I do think this has been blown out of all proportion, but I don't think it was a funny joke, even if the outcome had been different.