From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

IMO their (RSF) goal was wrong. The goal should have been to get 2 spots for the Olympics, rather than giving Kovtun some experience. Sending Menshov instead of Kovtun to worlds would not have necessarily guaranteed the 2 spots but with his age & experience the odds would have been a little better. It's not good to make a 17 year old carry the burden.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Seems like the goal was both. Send kovtun for experience and because he was so good in Jrs he could get two spots. In the articles posted everyone was talking two spots. They got too swept up in kovtun fever promOted by tarasova - "he must be put in display before the Olympics at worlds!!!! It's a guarantee he will be contending for the Olympic team!!!" his fifth at nationals has always meant nothing but should mean something!

4. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

The official goal was always two spots, nothing else. It's after Kovtun failed to achieve it, Tarasova had a sudden amnesia, forgot all about two spots and started to claim that the goal was to give Kovtun more international experience. Mutko, however, did not forget about the two spots, that's why he called sending Kovtun a mistake in his interview.

5. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Team for WTT has been announced:

Konstantin Menshov, Maxim Kovtun, Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov, Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev

6. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Feeling mildly sorry for Voronov, but at least Menshov gets a shot.

I wonder how many red faces there would be if he again beats Kovtun...this time marked by international judges...

7. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Well, at least Menshov gets to go. Voronov should have been the other choice, IMO, but the loudness of TAT is apparently overwhelming. This surely can't be considered another "high pressure experience" BS thing for Kovtun.

8. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Pluschenko writes in his twitter:
    It wasn't Patrick Chan who won the competition, but his federation! It's my opinion as a person who knows figure skating. Kudos to Joubert - what a fighter! Denis Ten won that championship!

Have a feeling Pluschenko has an alternative view on figure skating, on 2nd places etc....

9. misskarne

Or rather that he thinks a human Zamboni shouldn't be World Champion...

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Or he's just opening his big mouth again. Shut up and let your skating talk for you Plush.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

He does have a point, though...:shuffle:

he only said what a lot of people thinks :watch:

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Or maybe he's admitting what's gone been in volved in all of his titles :sekret: I mean he says that it's Chan's fed that got him the gold, and says he speaks from a place of knowledge :COP:

13. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

True! He's right. Many people, many experts think so. I too :hat1:

14. Ozzisk8tr

Re the above: As much as I dislike Plush, I feel all of his wins (before his comeback) were warranted. Since coming back not so.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's very telling how Leonova is not even mentioned by Piseev. Goodbye Alena. You had spark, you had spunk and it's a shame all that got ruined by Morozov.

Tarasova just needs to retire NOW. She's completely lost it.

And that hits the nail on the head. Everybody works well at optimal conditions. One of the reasons you have a coach is so that they can push you when you're not at 100%.

I was not happy with Kovtun being sent either but Piseev had a point. Kovtun needs experience and when they sent two experienced skaters last year they didn't skate well either.

The level was extremely high and Menshov would not have placed much higher even if he skated two clean programs.

Zhang and Zhang weren't managing (they were on a clear downhill slope) and that's why they broke up. It just wasn't viable any more (and she was too tall to continue in Pairs).

Purdy/Marinaro's "triple" twist is :scream: and the lifts aren't very strong either. I don't think they have a future in seniors.

But a program consisting mostly of cross-overs without a semblance of originality and lacking in any creative ideas should?

Exactly. So for Plushenko out of all people to be talking politics... Please.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  16. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

But where? Sheffield? Russian champs?

17. misskarne

Sheffield is the only one I might not have given him. Gachinski should have had a much, much bigger lead than a few tenths after the SP, though Plushenko's LP was magic so maybe that would have come out on top anyway.

And Plushenko never said he thought Joubert should have won, he said Ten should have won.

18. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

I agree

19. Ozzisk8tr

Olympics. But that shouldn't be bought up again. Great that we can have these discussions and see everyones point of view.

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Brings back memories from Vancouver. It wasn't Evan Lysacek who won the competition, it was NBC.;)

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Cross-posting from the WTT thread:
    So the team is not yet set in stone?

22. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I normally agree with you on things; however, the two experienced skaters who went to Worlds and finished dismally last year had not had the consistency of either Menshov or Voronov this year (I mean, Voronov's biggest miss was that dang spin at Euros, which threw him off for half of the program; Menshov's biggest "miss" was unfortunately being assigned to high level GP events, where he still did well). Sure, Kovtun needed experience, which he got at Euros, at the expense of Menshov. Now he's going to WTT? Seriously, is that more high pressure, high level "experience" for the boy? No, it's pimping the young one out with the opportunity to earn $$$ in a reasonably low-stress environment.

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Dear, Todd Eldridge, Christina Gao, Weir and many others have same opinion...

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

haters gonna hate..

25. caseyedwards

Totally unreasonable Assignment for kovtun. Is he ever going to had to earn anything? He's just going to be given assignments! Bomb Russian nationals get sent to euros and worlds and display no clue that you can't do 4 combos after having done 3. So I wasn't like he didn't do one and was thinking he needs 3! Hes basically a pet project who displays no level of deserving being a pet project. At least menshov gets to. He skated well in senior gp and Russian nationals and everything and is not doing combos of 3t-1t.

26. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed Sorry to hear that.

27. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Actually, as the ranking points that Kovtun gained on the JGP and at Worlds were counted in towards the qualification score for the Russian team, I believe they are required to pick him. But don't let that get in the way of your ranting.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  28. caseyedwards

A lot the points he gained to go to wtt were undeserved so it works wither way!

29. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

You keep telling yourself that, honey.

30. caseyedwards

Lol - like you think he should've gone to euros and worlds and got the points?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.