Cup of China 2023 Men FS - “Bad Voids Stick Together”

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Free Skate results:

1​
Adam SIAO HIM FAFRA
207.17​
115.63​
91.54​
9.21​
9.21​
9.07​
0.00​
#11​
2​
Shoma UNOJPN
174.73​
85.46​
90.27​
9.04​
8.86​
9.21​
1.00​
#12​
3​
Mikhail SHAIDOROVKAZ
174.52​
96.87​
77.65​
7.86​
7.71​
7.75​
0.00​
#10​
4​
Kazuki TOMONOJPN
171.45​
87.33​
84.12​
8.36​
8.36​
8.54​
0.00​
#7​
5​
Sota YAMAMOTOJPN
170.10​
88.98​
81.12​
7.86​
8.14​
8.36​
0.00​
#5​
6​
Gabriele FRANGIPANIITA
166.40​
87.88​
78.52​
7.86​
7.93​
7.79​
0.00​
#8​
7​
Boyang JINCHN
149.84​
72.82​
78.02​
7.79​
7.68​
7.96​
1.00​
#9​
8​
Sihyeong LEEKOR
134.70​
66.73​
68.97​
7.00​
6.75​
6.96​
1.00​
#4​
9​
Juwen XUCHN
128.22​
63.75​
64.47​
6.39​
6.29​
6.68​
0.00​
#3​
10​
Jimmy MAUSA
127.87​
56.74​
71.13​
7.00​
7.11​
7.25​
0.00​
#6​
11​
Daiwei DAICHN
121.31​
56.17​
66.14​
6.50​
6.50​
6.86​
1.00​
#2​
12​
Lucas BROUSSARDUSA
120.10​
51.98​
68.12​
6.89​
6.68​
6.89​
0.00​
#1​

Overall results:

1Adam SIAO HIM FA
FRA.GIF
FRA
2Shoma UNO
JPN.GIF
JPN
3Mikhail SHAIDOROV
KAZ.GIF
KAZ
4Kazuki TOMONO
JPN.GIF
JPN
5Gabriele FRANGIPANI
ITA.GIF
ITA
6Sota YAMAMOTO
JPN.GIF
JPN
7Boyang JIN
CHN.GIF
CHN
8Sihyeong LEE
KOR.GIF
KOR
9Jimmy MA
USA.GIF
USA
10Juwen XU
CHN.GIF
CHN
11Daiwei DAI
CHN.GIF
CHN
12Lucas BROUSSARD
USA.GIF
USA

Protocols link: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Adam got in PCS exactly what he got for the SP yesterday and I remain dumbfounded by the number.

beckab81

Top 3 were ranked appropriately, but I still take issue with how PCS is scored. Shaidroov, Frangi & Jin all got skating skills in the high 7's, and Broussard was only a 6.89 - Lucas may not have had a great skate, but that is just NO.

Sally1214

I love Shoma's skating. Too.bad about the poor start...the rest was so good. I wish his music was a little livelier though.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Adam is so on fire. It's four (or five?) free skates in a row that are more or less 'clean' although the beginning of this one was nervy. The first few jumping elements were tight and he was trying to land and then extend his body which killed the flow. But he got into the program and really sold it. One thing in direct comparison to Uno is that he needs little to no prep time for almost every jump, while Uno usually takes it from one end of the ice to the other with his 'pattern'. As far as his PCS goes, I get his presentation score and his skating skills score more or less, but I think I'd drop the composition into the mid 8's.

I like Shoma's program, but I still think the crossovers around the corners and the three turns are a bit much. Loop once again looked tight with no call, but then he got a q on the 4T. I'm not sure that the choreography is strong enough for the really subtle ending, and I thought the choreo sequence was certainly not worthy of big scores.

Top 3 were ranked appropriately, but I still take issue with how PCS is scored. Shaidroov, Frangi & Jin all got skating skills in the high 7's, and Broussard was only a 6.89 - Lucas may not have had a great skate, but that is just NO.
It's criminal what scores Shaidorov, Jin, and Frangipani got for PCS. I was ready to write a whole tangent on it but you already have ;) There is NO program in Shaidorov's case, he has zero ice coverage or speed, and I think he probably should have been lowest of the entire field for quite possibly all three components. He skates around on two feet so much and does flamboyant arm movements, very in style of Urmanov. The spins are below average and the step sequence is a journey.

Jin is just so mismatched with his programs, and his problem with basics becomes more and more apparent as the program goes on. He slows way down and his posture gets even worse than where it starts. His step sequence should be done early in the program because he crawls and the really sloppy edges are just magnified at the end.

Frangipani has abysmal jump technique and his overall skating quality is very average, too. There was a long break after the first set of jumps (on par with Malinina's Aladdin) and it wasn't like the rest of the program had a ton of intricacy either.

That said, Shaidorov should be down in the 5's on PCS, and Jin/Frangipani maybe just barely flirting with 7 IMO but that might even be generous for Jin. I don't care that his PCS was in the 8's once upon a time. His skating is the same was it was eight years ago without the character-driven performance that we sometimes saw. Broussard has fantastic use of his upper body and certainly his posture and carriage are better than those three, but his skating skills still need some work.

I love Tomono's free skate. I know why it's a split decision, but I think it's really glorious and nuanced.

Last edited:

millyskate

It wasn't just a so so skate from Broussard. It was truly a bad skate for him and his skating looked laboured throughout imo.

zigzig

OBSESSED with Adam. The rest of the event was blah.

Some of the programs these guys are putting out there are pretty abysmal.

skatfan

Loved Tomono, Shadirov was pretty good although I don't think there's much program there. I laughed when Mark complimented Shoma's choreography sequence because I thought it below what had come before.

Adam has shown his grit in doing the back-to-back GPs for two wins, hope he can rest and come down before the GP final.

Sad to hear about Lucas skate/blade woes. Hope he regroups for US Nationals. Still a beautiful skater to watch!

I like Tomono's program - good for him for switching it up.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Worlds for men will be epic this year, so many potentials, I must make sure I’m not volunteering for the long final group lol . At this point I am on team Adam.

Milan

I love Arvo Part but Shoma ending his program with Spiegel im Spiegel is very anticlimactic and feels like he's walking us through some deep meditation yoga. Perhaps they could have used Fratres for the ending or something with variance.

Milan

Great podium!
Adam SLAYS again! 🇫🇷
Shoma eeks a silver! 🇯🇵

but…

SHAIDOROV is my King!!! 🇰🇿
and should have medaled in Canada. Ahum.
I'm getting regal Jon Snow/prince of darkness vibes with Mikhail. He should bring back the dark eye shadow too.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Cross-posted from the Japanese Skating thread:

I was curious about Kazuki's "Halston" song for his free program, so I looked it up, and I found this:

"Inspired by the downfall of the late Roy Halston Frowick, the track unfolds in bittersweet melodies informed by Moccio’s ruminations on the legendary fashion designer, who ultimately sold out his name to JC Penny and lost all creative control of his career."

... I mean, can you imagine how much fun they could have had with THAT program concept? What an opportunity wasted!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Lucas could’ve stayed Junior at 17, correct? If so, I wonder if he should’ve. Don’t like his free program music at all. And the second part of it is a warhorse. And the third part of this program is even more of a warhorse. Mistakes he’s making, is it more of a mental thing? Or a growth spurt? Looking forward to seeing him at nationals nonetheless.

Sota more Exogenesis. Great opening quad. and another one after what seemed mistimed. Off to a good start. Could end up on the podium

trying to watch as much as I can

Tomono wonderful opening combination. Wow that second Quad toe was awesome. He’s becoming one of my favorites. OK I think he’s done enough to hold off Sota. Can’t wait to see who the world team will be.

my husband, come on, let’s do it this music starts frantic, and he can be such a fast skater I hope he holds it together. YASSSSSS. AND YASSSSSSS. and yassssssssss. Yassssssss. Wowwww yassssss. Yessssss!!!! Well a double. and I have to say I do like the costume. come on Gabriel WONDERFULLLLL Throw the points at him…❤️😍

Jin I always get excited for his opening quad lutz, so much distance usually. I like the program but I like it when he skates to more powerful pieces.

Mikhail I’m really enjoying his programs this season. Such high grade of execution on these jumps. Solid. very enjoyable skating.

Adam great opening quad. Very solid. He’s gonna do it. This is looking like world champion material. Oh my gosh that’s flying cartwheel in the air. Wonderful. could easily see this winning worlds.

Uno oh, no but I feel he will keep it together. Well… skating last, I do think they should totally get away with the whole reverse order for the free program. After seeing this right after Adam I think I prefer Adams free program. more of an exciting vehicle.

skatingguy

decently
Lucas could’ve stayed Junior at 17, correct? If so, I wonder if he should’ve. Don’t like his free program music at all. And the second part of it is a warhorse. And the third part of this program is even more of a warhorse. Mistakes he’s making, is it more of a mental thing? Or a growth spurt? Looking forward to seeing him at nationals nonetheless.
You didn't actually read the posts in the men's thread did you? ;) Remember the hoopla that made you come watch the men's free skate, well that was because Broussard's skate. He had to replace his left boot on the day of the short programs, and he tried to skate his full content on Friday, but it didn't work, and so to avoid injury today he skated lesser content, but was still struggling to get the feel for the jumps in the new boot. But yes Lucas could have stayed junior - he has one year of eligibility left, but he's gone to senior to try to set himself up for the 2026 Olympics.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You didn't actually read the posts in the men's thread did you? ;) Remember the hoopla that made you come watch the men's free skate, well that was because Broussard's skate. He had to replace his left boot on the day of the short programs, and he tried to skate his full content on Friday, but it didn't work, and so to avoid injury today he skated lesser content, but was still struggling to get the feel for the jumps in the new boot. But yes Lucas could have stayed junior - he has one year of eligibility left, but he's gone to senior to try to set himself up for the 2026 Olympics.

I skimmed it, but I don’t have a problem with him. I adored his skating last season. It looks like he’s grown quite a bit. And I do wonder if that’s what it is. I understand the boot situation, but I know his competitions earlier this season seemed a bit off. He’s extremely artistic. I think by nationals he can be a strong contender.

YukiNieve

Lots of nice pictures from the men's free skate and the award ceremony.

The photo (19th one) that Shoma picked up the flag that Adam accidentally dropped and passed it to him is very nice.:giggle:

peibeck

Simply looking
I, inadvertently, saw on "X"/Twitter (whatever it's called now) that Shoma "bombed," so I was expecting far worse. Opening jump issues aside, the program is just kind of dull. Although it's not as flat out weird as his SP.

It was inspiring to see Adam actually improve so dramatically after his first jump issues. I think his footwork sequence was even more thrilling this week than last, if that's somehow possible.

Shadirov's jumps were cleaner here than in Canada, so he basically vaulted himself onto the podium. He's kind of the newest version of a younger Boyang Jin: big, impressive jumps and not much else. He's still only 18? 19? So perhaps he can work on the artistic development like Malanin is doing (with mixed-positive results). Let's hope so. 🙏

Hedwig

Antique member
the pcs for Shaidorov are criminal. There is no argueing with his jumps, they are good (although they sometimes get a bit too much GOE as well, IMO, since they often are small and have not as much flow) but the rest is more novice level skating than anything else and it should be scored as such :mad:
No grief against Shaidorov who I am sure is a lovely person but this enrages me a lot. If you see programs like Adam's that is about four times as demanding in between the jumps and so intricate and it is not rewarded enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information