Céline Dion's Husband René Angélil Has Died

Sylvia

TBD
http://www.people.com/article/rene-angelil-dead-celine-dion-husband-dies-of-cancer
"Rene Angelil, 73, passed away this morning at his home in Las Vegas after a long and courageous battle against cancer," the rep said in a statement. "The family requests that their privacy be respected at the moment."

Angélil, who guided Dion's career as her manager and mentor, is survived by the couple's three children – René-Charles, 14, and 5-year-old twins Nelson and Eddy – and his adult children from a previous relationship, Anne-Marie, Patrick and Jean-Pierre.
ETA:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/01/14/celine-dions-husband-rene-angelil-dies/78806790/
Dion, 47, told USA TODAY in August, after months of caring for her dying husband, that she promised him she'd be there until the end, to support "the only boyfriend I've ever had."
Her husband's death culminates a remarkable openness by Dion about Angélil's struggles and her response to living with and facing the inevitable end.
"And René says to me, 'I want to die in your arms.' OK, fine, I'll be there, you'll die in my arms," she said in an emotionally intense interview just before returning to the Strip for another extended run on her Vegas residency.
Angélil had been ill for years, and on a feeding tube for the last two years, Dion said in August. After a series of procedures in Boston hospitals, he was back living at the family's Las Vegas home.
He suffered a heart attack in 1992 and was diagnosed with malignant cancer, after finding a lump on his neck, in 1998.
"We have asked (doctors) many times, how long does he have, three weeks, three months? René wants to know," she says. "But they say they don't know."
Dion said she dutifully took notes during talks in which Angélil spelled out the details of his funeral service.

Last edited:

liv

What a week! I mean, we all knew this one was coming, but for it to occur this week? My goodness but 2016 is starting out well for celebrities.

I feel sorry for Celine, all of his kids, but especially for his youngest children who won't really have had a chance to know their dad. :(

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
This was not completely unexpected, but still very sad for his family -- and as liv said, especially for his youngest sons. Condolences to Celine and all his family and friends.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
How sad. This one hit me hard since I've followed Celine's career since her first English speaking album. I had thought he was doing better but I guess not. Sending thoughts and prayers to Celine, their kids, and their families. :fragile:

ballettmaus

How sad. This one hit me hard since I've followed Celine's career since her first English speaking album. I had thought he was doing better but I guess not. Sending thoughts and prayers to Celine, their kids, and their families. :fragile:

Unfortunately, he wasn't. Not really. He was doing fine after his second surgery but shortly afterwards had another (which you may have read) and, from what I've read, he wasn't really able to speak afterwards anymore. I don't know if he was able to eat on his own or if he needed to be fed/a feeding tube but for a while he needed that.
As sad as it is, I think that part of it is also relief, especially for him. He's fought hard and bravely, he's seen his wife return to the stage, and now he deserves to rest and hopefully will do so in utter peace.

My heart goes out to the family, though!

Karina1974

What a week! I mean, we all knew this one was coming, but for it to occur this week? My goodness but 2016 is starting out well for celebrities.

i also saw on Facebook that the actor who played Grizzly Adams died, too. Dan Haggerty.

liv

I just read that Celine's older brother is also dying of cancer... and in fact could die any day now. OMG. Another blow for the family.

Skate Talker

The story was covered on ET Canada - apparently he has about 3 types of cancer including throat cancer and the family has gathered to be by his bedside. They said he is 50 something I think, (can't remember exactly), so not very old at all.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The story was covered on ET Canada - apparently he has about 3 types of cancer including throat cancer and the family has gathered to be by his bedside. They said he is 50 something I think, (can't remember exactly), so not very old at all.

He was 73. She's nearly 50 - 47 or 48 I think.

skatesindreams said:
My sympathy to the entire family.
Celine gave up her career for extended periods to care for him.

And now she'll have to work extended periods to pay off his gambling debts. But I feel sorry for her & for the kids.

Last edited:

puglover

I am a very long time fan of Celine and feel so sad for her loss. I am sure her 3 boys will provide great comfort to her going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information