Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Pepper doesn't like the food I've made I even made a gravy because I thought it was because it was too dry, but he just licked it off around the food.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It can take them a while to adjust. Some pets get into a routine and won't like any new food no matter what and some are like kids who want to eat candy (the crap pet food) instead of what is good for them (the good pet food).
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I cook chicken thighs in the crock pot all day and take the bone out. I use it as a topping on their dry food. They love the chicken "juice" that is there as well. Jenny has lost 23 pounds (she started at a porky 103) in the past year, supervised by our vet, by having dry food, a can of green beans for bulk and two tablespoons of chicken juice and a tablespoon of chicken. Only 8 more pounds to go!!
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    103 pounds?! What kind of pets are you talking about?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    You feed him raw chicken?

I've heard otherwise because chicken can so easily carry the salmonella virus. Which is also why chicken is the only meat that needs to be cooked "done" and can't be pink inside for us humans.
    However, our cat gets a slice of cooked, unseasoned chicken every now and then. Though she prefers everything fish if she gets the chance to choose
    Yeah, I use the link Karina linked to above: http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood that's made by a vet. The vet writer now bakes the outside very quickly, just to kill any germs on the outside, but the inside is still raw.

We buy the fancy organic human-grade chicken from Whole Foods, and haven't had problems yet. Cats supposedly have a much more acidic stomach than people do, so they can eat shadier things. And Mickey won't eat the chicken if it's been out too long, at any rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    You feed him raw chicken?
    Raw prey is a cat's natural diet, in spite of the misinformation about feline nutrition the pet food companies and allopathic vets try to foist on their clients and customers. Cats thrive and are much healthier on a properly-balanced raw food diet than on meat-flavored cereal that is too high in carbs that sets the cat up for obesity and diabetes, and too low in moisture, which can cause cystitis and other forms of FLUTD, and urethral blockages that WILL kill a cat if they are not addressed in time. The lower quality foods also tend to use plant sources for their protein rather than animal meat. And that includes Science Diet, which a lot of allopathic vets become pimps for once they set up their practice. My own vet announced that on her practice website only week's after my cat's initial post-adoption exam, that why I'm dumping her practice in favor of a holistic/integrative vet. Why anyone would think that dry food diets are appropriate for a cat is beyond me.

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutritio...t-for-your-cat

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutritio...eds-the-basics

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutritio...ottengers-cats - this is a synopsis of a study done 70+ years ago, comparing cats fed raw meat diets to cats fed cooked meat diets. The author of this article wrote a book that I feel should be in every cat owner's library.

I've heard otherwise because chicken can so easily carry the salmonella virus. Which is also why chicken is the only meat that needs to be cooked "done" and can't be pink inside for us humans.
    Why are you comparing humans to an obligate carnivore??? There are no similarities - a human GI tract is long and alkaline in nature; a cat's is short and acidic.

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutritio...nella-raw-food

Cats have highly acidic digestive systems. This acidity makes them pathogen resistant. They also have short digestive tracts, which doesn't give bacteria much time to proliferate in their systems. Food passes through their systems in about 13 hours, compared to two to three times that long for a human.¹ If a cat ingests some salmonella bacteria, it has a good chance of not being affected by it. Keep in mind this applies to a healthy cat; resistance can be severely diminished in a cat that is ill. The concern is more about the people in the household — most of the emphasis on safe handling is to protect humans.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 06-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I am now picturing cats out in the wild cooking up their mice in little microwaves so they don't catch salmonella.

Out in the wild, cats will find dead animals and then eat on them for up to a week (depending on their size). Their bodies are made to eat raw meat.

vCash
    We have 3 dogs at home, and I started making home made dog food for them in the slow cooker. Boneless chicken, sweet potatoes, some brown rice, dog safe veggies (whatever we have in the house) carrots ( a MUST HAVE for The Beagle LOL), a little bit of oil for their coats and enough water to cover it all. Set cooker on low and let it cook for the day. When done, I would use the stick blender to mash it all into a pureed mix. They love it...and it lasts all week.

vCash
    almost 10 years ago did homemade for my cat for about 6 months until she refused to eat chicken & rice. I did make variation using different vegetable but mostly just chicken & rice. My vet mentioned that not all home made food will have all the nutritions so he suggested 1/2 home made (morning) and 1/2 store bought food (dinner). I have read up on raw as well but not possible considering the amount of meat you need to buy + deep freeze to kill the germs. Another website you can check up on is
    http://www.holisticat.com/en/well-fed-cats.html

Good luck as some cats may refuse the food.

vCash
    ^^^Why were you giving your cat rice? Cats are obligate carnivores, and thus do not need any grains in their food. Or veggies, either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    ^^^Why were you giving your cat rice? Cats are obligate carnivores, and thus do not need any grains in their food. Or veggies, either.
    Actually, at the time I did about 1 cup of cooked chicken plus 1 teaspoon or so of rice, this is to ease the cat from dry/canned diet to homemade food. Various places said it was fine to add veggies as long as in small quantity since cats in the wide does eat grass. I think i put in 1-2 cube thing of carrot from those frozen vegetable bag. My cat, even though I had blend everything, still able to pick out the chunk chicken and lick the juice. Thus leaving a bowl of rice/chicken mixture. Then 2 hours later she would meow again because she was hungry! The reason I did the home cook was because she also had some health issue and we needed to increase the water intake and decrease some other things, can't remember the top of my head. The cat, knock on wood, is still going strong, just turned 18! But she is now on canned diet, and each can cost more than my meal!

vCash
    But she is now on canned diet, and each can cost more than my meal!
    Canned isn't that expensive. The Classics flavors of Fancy Feast are actually pretty good - grain-free, low carb, named meats - and I can get those for only 56-60 cents depending on which supermarket I'm in. I also feed Dave's, and the pet supply store I buy it from sells the 3oz cans for 92 cents and the 12.5 oz cans for only $1.76. A third brand I feed is Wellness, but it is a bit pricer, $2.68 for 12 oz and $1.48 for 3 oz. I think Dave's is actually better.

I want to go raw using the Pierson diet, but I have a credit card to pay off (and rear brakes to replace on my car) before I can afford the meat grinder she recommends. I have experimented with bits of canned chicken just to see if Shelly will eat "real meat", and she scarfs it up like she hasn't eaten all day. I was very lucky to adopt a cat where I wouldn't have to do a dry to wet food transition because some cats can be very stubborn about making the switch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Canned isn't that expensive.
    Unfortunately, this particular cat is very specific about what we fed. She was a shelter cat, mind you, but after having cans that cost about 2 bucks each, (EVO, Halo, Verus), she wouldn't eat anything else. If try to give her something from a supermarket, she would push the bowl to the floor and walk away, yes it has happened before! If she was a 2 year old cat probably just let her skip a meal but at age 18, can't really not give in. We did try the raw diet about 10 years ago too, but stopped because the other cat with health issue couldn't eat raw and it was quite expensive at the time so we stopped. That other cat has since passed so we tried raw again few years back, but this particular cat now has stomach issue so no more raw. We also found all of our black white cats have beef allergy once they get older, even meds that has beef (gel caps) can cause them having stomach issue. Anyway, love my fur ball to pieces, can't imagine a day without her.

By the way, you can buy the frozen raw diet to test, not all cats will eat it though, and some may have stomach/allergy issue, as we found out later. Glad didn't spend money on all that equipment before we found out.
    Last edited by cmchan; 07-12-2014 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    One very important thing to consider when giving your pet homemade food is the vitamin and mineral requirements for your pet. You may have to add these things to homemade food in order to make it nutritionally complete. For example, in the case of cats, taurine is a very important nutrient but must be added to foods. You would do well to research the vitamin and mineral requirements for your pets.

vCash
    ^^^ Dr. Lisa Pierson's website is one of the most thorough online references on the subject of homemade food for cats. If and when I finally take that step, her recipe is the one I will use.

In other words, I, for one, am way ahead of you on this subject, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12