Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Homemade Pet Food

I'm looking into making our pets' food rather than buying it. The good (foreign) brands are getting more and more expensive. We have one dog and five cats, and am most interested in making food for my dog. Pepper is a small to medium sized dog, no idea what kind, a mix. He's in very good health, and has nice, shiny fur. He gets a good amount of exercise. He's about two years old.

I'd like some advice on what I can give him to eat. He likes most foods. I'd like to do some food I could cook up or prepare once a week, and maybe freeze. Needs to be something easy! At the moment, Pepper eats twice a day (one little packet each time) and has dry food. He seems to like the cats' dried food more than his!

Also open to preparing for the cats.

Any recipes, or guidelines you can give would be appreciated.

vCash
    My suggestion would be to really look into what is toxic before making anything for your dogs. There is quite a lot. And some can't eat wheat either. But there needs to be lots of fibre and heavy proteins. Chicken is really good for dogs and pretty cheap, yams are also really good and cheap as well as some vegetables like carrots. I made my own dog biscuits with peanut butter and pumpkin pie filling.Pumpkin Pie is heavy in fibre and great for dogs. Sometimes you can get a three pack of whole chickens at Cosco for less then $30. Cook them and then pull them apart, mix them with the yams and brown rice and vegetables. And put them in freezer packs. You can also add spinach and parsley(for their breath) Also very cheap.

I will say though that this doesn't seem to be a simple undertaking, especially for all five animals. It will IMO take up a fair amount of time.

vCash
    Thanks. I have researched the things not to give him. I'm not so interested in home making the cats, just Pepper for the moment. I just made him a huge pot of sweet potato, potato, carrot, peas, corn, quinoa flakes that fell on the floor so I didn't want to waste them (), and a mix of pork and chicken that I minced. Also some bacon and a tiny amont of molasses (vet recommended). The vet suggested I could mix in an egg at time of serving if I wanted. It made a giant, giant pot, which will definitely last at least a week, and was a third of the cost of his weekly store-bought food. I just made it at the same time as out freezer meals for the week, so it worked out well today. Now I just hope he eats it and likes it!

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    I'm jealous- I can't imagine having that much free time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I'm jealous- I can't imagine having that much free time!
    you don't have half an hour on the weekend? I can't imagine owning pets and not having, or making, time for them.

garden freak
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Thanks. I have researched the things not to give him. I'm not so interested in home making the cats, just Pepper for the moment. I just made him a huge pot of sweet potato, potato, carrot, peas, corn, quinoa flakes that fell on the floor so I didn't want to waste them (), and a mix of pork and chicken that I minced. Also some bacon and a tiny amont of molasses (vet recommended). The vet suggested I could mix in an egg at time of serving if I wanted. It made a giant, giant pot, which will definitely last at least a week, and was a third of the cost of his weekly store-bought food. I just made it at the same time as out freezer meals for the week, so it worked out well today. Now I just hope he eats it and likes it!
    I would be careful with pork. My vet says lots of dogs don't tolerate it well and joked he made a lot of money when dogs ate too much pork! He recommended chicken and rice for starters and then adding stuff to make sure the dog tolerated it well. Veggies are usually good. Can you look at the ingredients on your expensive dog food to see what Pepper is used to eating? P.S. I had a wonderful little Pepper doggie when I was a kid

Quadless
    vCash
    Angelskates - I recommend this book: Dr. Becker's Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats Cookbook. If nothing else I found it very educational. The book is also available on Amazon, but on the Dr. Mercola site they also sell many of the supplements like digestive enzymes and probiotics that you may want to include in your pets' meals. And from their FAQs it looks like they do ship internationally, including to China.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I know you want to feed your dog homemade stuff, but here's my experience with my cat.

I feed Mickey cat a raw chicken diet. He LOVES it, which is great because I've heard of some cats having to be wheedled into it. Right now he has the raw chicken or high-quality dry food, whatever he feels like having at the moment. (Even the best dry food I could find has less than 40% protein content, and he should get more because he's older and has hyperthyroidism.) It's hot and the chicken goes bad quickly in this weather, so we only give him the chicken when he meows for it.

I make a 3-lb batch for him at a time, and he finishes it about once every 2 weeks. It takes half an hour to make it. If we had the room/money, I'd buy a grinder, but 30 min every two weeks isn't bad. If I had more than one cat, I'd definitely consider a grinder.

I'd definitely read up on things that are harmful/poisonous to them, but I believe that dogs are much more flexible diet-wise than cats. Cats are obligate carnivores and really shouldn't eat any vegetables at all. My friend has a shepherd mix and sometimes drops a cooked egg into a bowl for her. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn, but I think it will be obvious if Pepper is. My mom's dog was allergic to corn and he would scratch himself all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizziebeth View Post
    I would be careful with pork. My vet says lots of dogs don't tolerate it well and joked he made a lot of money when dogs ate too much pork! He recommended chicken and rice for starters and then adding stuff to make sure the dog tolerated it well. Veggies are usually good. Can you look at the ingredients on your expensive dog food to see what Pepper is used to eating? P.S. I had a wonderful little Pepper doggie when I was a kid
    Thanks. Pepper loves pork, and my vet suggested a mix of pork and chicken because pork has a higher fat content. Turns out Pepper doesn't like peas or corn. He left them in his bowl He's really smart at eating around things (the five pieces of dried food that were left in his bowl and I mixed it, are now still left in his bowl! What a rascal!) He isn't allergic to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Angelskates - I recommend this book: Dr. Becker's Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats Cookbook. If nothing else I found it very educational. The book is also available on Amazon, but on the Dr. Mercola site they also sell many of the supplements like digestive enzymes and probiotics that you may want to include in your pets' meals. And from their FAQs it looks like they do ship internationally, including to China.
    I've seen this book, and it's way to complicated for me. I'm looking at getting this one. I want to make sure Pepper gets variety, even though he has only two or three little bag flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I know you want to feed your dog homemade stuff, but here's my experience with my cat.

I feed Mickey cat a raw chicken diet. He LOVES it, which is great because I've heard of some cats having to be wheedled into it. Right now he has the raw chicken or high-quality dry food, whatever he feels like having at the moment. (Even the best dry food I could find has less than 40% protein content, and he should get more because he's older and has hyperthyroidism.) It's hot and the chicken goes bad quickly in this weather, so we only give him the chicken when he meows for it.

I make a 3-lb batch for him at a time, and he finishes it about once every 2 weeks. It takes half an hour to make it. If we had the room/money, I'd buy a grinder, but 30 min every two weeks isn't bad. If I had more than one cat, I'd definitely consider a grinder.

I'd definitely read up on things that are harmful/poisonous to them, but I believe that dogs are much more flexible diet-wise than cats. Cats are obligate carnivores and really shouldn't eat any vegetables at all. My friend has a shepherd mix and sometimes drops a cooked egg into a bowl for her. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn, but I think it will be obvious if Pepper is. My mom's dog was allergic to corn and he would scratch himself all the time.
    I've known since I got a dog what not to give him, it's part of owning a dog. I did do some refreshers though, and put a DO NOT FEED PEPPER THESE list on the fridge for everyone else (namely, my housekeeper, so it's in Chinese). My cats would LOVE a raw chicken diet...they were all over the benches when I was making Pepper his food. I have a mincer - is that what you mean by grinder. Why do you need a grinder (I minced the meat, because it was cheaper to buy unminced and I have a machine that can mince)? Maybe I'll feed the cats fresh fish or chicken as treat meals...

I'm certainly not complaining about half an hour of my time...it wasn't even half an hour of active time, I answered the phone and putting washing on while it was all cooking.

vCash
    I think it's great what you are doing. My only suggestion is to consult with your vet to make sure your pets get the proper amount of vitamins and nutrients.

vCash
    I've known since I got a dog what not to give him, it's part of owning a dog. I did do some refreshers though, and put a DO NOT FEED PEPPER THESE list on the fridge for everyone else (namely, my housekeeper, so it's in Chinese). My cats would LOVE a raw chicken diet...they were all over the benches when I was making Pepper his food. I have a mincer - is that what you mean by grinder. Why do you need a grinder (I minced the meat, because it was cheaper to buy unminced and I have a machine that can mince)? Maybe I'll feed the cats fresh fish or chicken as treat meals...

I'm certainly not complaining about half an hour of my time...it wasn't even half an hour of active time, I answered the phone and putting washing on while it was all cooking.
    I use this recipe to feed my cat: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Recipe

The blogger is a vet and everything she says makes sense to me, as a biologist. She recommends grinding up raw chicken thighs, skin and bones and all. Hence the grinder. I don't have a grinder, so I use bone meal, which is not as good but better than processed, packaged stuff.

With cats, cook the outside of the meat if you're afraid of salmonella, but I'm sure you know that cooked chicken bones shatter inside digestive systems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I think it's great what you are doing. My only suggestion is to consult with your vet to make sure your pets get the proper amount of vitamins and nutrients.
    You say consult, I think Pepper's vet now says harass

I use this recipe to feed my cat: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Recipe

The blogger is a vet and everything she says makes sense to me, as a biologist. She recommends grinding up raw chicken thighs, skin and bones and all. Hence the grinder. I don't have a grinder, so I use bone meal, which is not as good but better than processed, packaged stuff.

With cats, cook the outside of the meat if you're afraid of salmonella, but I'm sure you know that cooked chicken bones shatter inside digestive systems.
    Holy smokes, this has a lot of ingredients...I'm not sure I am willing to go to this much effort, I think sourcing these ingredients here would turn out infinitely more expensive, but I will look into it anyway, especially since I have a lot of cat-owner friends who may be willing to go in for a bulk order Thanks!

vCash
    Holy smokes, this has a lot of ingredients...I'm not sure I am willing to go to this much effort, I think sourcing these ingredients here would turn out infinitely more expensive, but I will look into it anyway, especially since I have a lot of cat-owner friends who may be willing to go in for a bulk order Thanks!
    Given, that is for a cat that subsists ONLY on that diet. I'm sure a piece of raw chicken here and there won't hurt them one bit.

vCash
    Anyone preparing food from scratch which is to be a cat's sole or primary diet should be reminded that taurine is absolutely essential to cats. Its importance was only recognized when a major cat food manufacturer tweaked its recipe some years ago, leaving out all sources of taurine, and a lot of cats died.

vCash
    http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

This is probably, bar none, THE most linked site on homemade cat food, and feline nutrition in general, on the Internet. It is the domain of Dr. Lisa Pierson, a vet with over 30 years of experience in the field, and one who specializes in feline nutrition.

This is another excellent site, with articles written by vets who "get it" about species-appropriate nutrition (which means that "Hill's" and "Science Diet" are 4-letter words/phrases):

http://feline-nutrition.org/

vCash

Maybe I'll feed the cats fresh fish or chicken as treat meals...
    Be careful with fish, if you do feed any.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...rous-for-cats/

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    My loves homemade food, specially chicken, rice, sweet potato, carrots and green beans. She is tiny less than 15 pounds so I give her a mix of 3 ounces of protein, 1 1/4 cups of carbohydrates and 1 or 2 tablespoon of the vegetables. When she was a puppy I tried to give her a little bit of everything, now that she is old she just eats her favorites.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    (Even the best dry food I could find has less than 40% protein content, and he should get more because he's older and has hyperthyroidism.)
    You should be able to get Wellness CORE at Petco and Petsmart. I believe they have at least 50% protein because my vet recommends them and he only recommends dry foods that have at least 50% protein. (I did the calculations at one point but I don't have them now.)

We use Evo Turkey and Chicken for our dry which is a little harder to find but has less than 20% carbohydrates which is the lowest I've found in a dry cat food that you can buy in a national chain store. And that wouldn't break the bank.

I wanted to use a food that I could get locally in case I ran out and the online order hadn't arrived yet but I buy most of my cat food online. It's cheaper!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash

I feed Mickey cat a raw chicken diet.
    You feed him raw chicken?

I'm sure a piece of raw chicken here and there won't hurt them one bit.
    I've heard otherwise because chicken can so easily carry the salmonella virus. Which is also why chicken is the only meat that needs to be cooked "done" and can't be pink inside for us humans.
    However, our cat gets a slice of cooked, unseasoned chicken every now and then. Though she prefers everything fish if she gets the chance to choose

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Thanks, before I got Casper, she was was a rural outdoor-only cat so she ate what she could catch for years. When I got her, her system was very sensitive to store bought foods - she's adjusted some, but she still has occasional reactions. I have been wanting to make her food, but I wanted something more comprehensive than some online instructions.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast