Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rivals on ice, friends(???) off ice

I have been contemplating on starting this thread although I'm not sure how far it will go. We all hear of rivalries on ice such as Kwan/Slutskaya, Yu Na/Mao, D&M/G&G among others. I've heard (bits and pieces) that although they are fierce competitors on ice, they have developed good friendships off ice. Michele and Irina were good friends, competing against but also supporting each other. Yu Na and Mao have mentioned being each other's rivals but they have a good relationship off ice. Artur and Sergei were very good friends while competing before Sergei's early death - Artur was one of the pallbearers at Sergei's funerals. I'm not sure how much of this is speculation but I personally like the fact that they can be friends.

vCash
    I imagine that unless someone is downright rude, your competitors are the people who have the most in common with you. You can relate to the hard work that goes into making it in the sport, and even admire someone's talents. Also, it takes time to develop as a figure skater, and you're literally growing up alongside your competitors throughout the years. That's a lot of common ground where friendships can blossom.

vCash
    Also, when two skaters have been competing against each other since juniors, there will be a sizeable number of contacts over the years ... plus any tours or shows where both appear. (Michelle and Irina, for example, were both on the COI tour when it was doing 60 or 70 shows a year) In such cases, the two might make a real effort to get along as well as possible.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen famously and pointedly said that she wasn't friends with Kwan, when pressed. The interviewer asked her twice, and the 2nd time it was quite awkward because you could tell she was struggling to stay civil.

I think Sasha's reasoning was that you can't really be friends with someone at that level of fierce competition because you're both dedicating your lives to the same goal. On the other hand, if the skater isn't ranked so closely with you, it might be easier to make friends with them

vCash
    I understand that Scott moir and Charlie White are good friends. Certainly Tessa and Kaitlyn appear very friendly in there latest vids.

vCash
    I believe Savchenko and Volosozhar were, at least once upon a time, friends (haven't seen/ read anything recently though). They skated in the same groups early on, in the same shows (including that syncro pairs #), and there were off-ice social pics... I doubt they're very close now I tried to find those pics, but googling their names together just got me like every pairs podium pic in recent history lol

Just for kix, here's the program http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7MS_0hF7hzE

vCash
    Can't go past Joshua Farris and Jason Brown, who have a current status of "officially really good friends".

He also admitted that one of the best things that came out of the show for himself personally, was his relationship with fellow skater, Jason Brown. “We’re officially really good friends now,” Joshua shared, as he has previously struggled with keeping his personal friendship with Brown separate from his competitive interactions with him.
    They've been competing against each other since the age of ten.

vCash
    Johnny and Stephane have been good friends since they met in juniors around 1998. Carolina and Alissa are friends.
    Last edited by Stephanatic; 06-13-2014 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    Yuzuru and Javier Fernandez

vCash
    Carolina Kostner and Adelina Sotnikova appear to be good friends. Sotnikova also appears to be friendly with Mao Asada.

It also appears that Evgeny Plushenko and Evan Lysacek are friendly now. Plushenko said Lysacek sent some supportive messages during Sochi.

vCash
    I think some rivalries are imagined. Most skaters appear cordial to each other.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Are Yuna and Mao actually friends or just civil acquaintances? I am asking because I really don't know.

vCash
    Being friendly to each other doesn't mean being friends.

vCash
    One article described Mao and Yuna as "frenemies." :-)

vCash
    Plushenko's friends : Stefan Lambiel, Johnny Weir, Tomas Verner .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Being friendly to each other doesn't mean being friends.
    True.
    But with time passing on, people learn to tell niceties from real compassion, hopefully, and I don't have a doubt that there are friendships in FS as well as in other sports.
    Didn't Maya Usova make Tracy Wilson her bridesmaid? Well, they weren't real rivals, with W/M retiring quite before U/Z bacame really big, but still...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Plushenko's friends : Stefan Lambiel, Johnny Weir, Tomas Verner .
    And none of them were really his rivals. Stephane was always just lacking those jumps, Weir threw away his talent and wasted it, and Verner was never in the same league.

I think we're talking about skaters who are direct rivals, actually fighting each other for medals on the ice, and somehow friends off it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Are Yuna and Mao actually friends or just civil acquaintances? I am asking because I really don't know.
    In a press conference after Sochi Olympics Mao described she's "friendly" to Yu-Na when she meets her in competitions, and also she thinks Yu-Na is "someone like a friend". Feel free to assume anything based on these words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    And none of them were really his rivals. Stephane was always just lacking those jumps, Weir threw away his talent and wasted it, and Verner was never in the same league.

I think we're talking about skaters who are direct rivals, actually fighting each other for medals on the ice, and somehow friends off it.
    uhm..I understand. But Stefan was second when Plushy was first that is rivalry. In this sense Javier also doesn't rival of Yuzuru, Alyssa doesn't rival of Carolina, Johnny doesn't rival of Stefan..

vCash
    Didn't Maya Usova make Tracy Wilson her bridesmaid?
    It was mentioned a few times in this forum. But I'm also curious if it is true, because I’ve only read about it here. Never have I read any article or interview about it.

But with time passing on, people learn to tell niceties from real compassion, hopefully, and I don't have a doubt that there are friendships in FS as well as in other sports.
    I think friendships happen more often between a top athlete and an athlete, whose position in sport is much weaker. But unfortunately, when both of them fight for the highest places, the friendships are rare. But I also don’t doubt that they happen.

One of the posters has written that in the mid-1990s Grishuk/Platov were friends with Krylova/Ovsiannikov (though I’m sure if it’s true). But when K/O became G/P’s competitors for the highest place the friendships finished. Such situations happen in other disciplines as well. Aga Radwanska allegedly used to be friends with Vica Azarenka. But when the competition between them got more heated, this friendship finished, as well. But to be honest I suppose that there was no real friendship between those athletes in the first place.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast