Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: language quiz

vCash
    My English dialect: American standard, Singaporean, Canadian
    Three native languages: English, Norweigan, Dutch

My history: I was born in the Philippines, spoke only Tagalog until about 4 years old when my family transitioned me to speak out only in English. I've been speaking English since and have lived in California since I was 5. How did the quiz come up with those results?

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    My english dialect:
    1. English (England)
    2. Scottish (UK)
    3. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics

Three native languages:
    1. Hungarian
    2. Turkish
    3. English

Uhmmm...yeah, I'm from Argentina so...
    I'm happy that it listed English as one of my supposed native languages? At least it means I have a good grasp of the english language...I hope.
    But Hungarian and Turkish? Odd.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I have no idea if German and Norwegian are similar in grammar but German, next to Russian, is said to be the hardest European language to learn because of its grammar whereas English is said to be the easiest. That makes me think the grammar isn't that similar.
    English is a Germanic language with a lot of Latin words, so while there are many differences, there are also quite a few similarities. For example, noun stacks are used in both German and English and very few other languages (and they are not, no matter what the link says, grammatically incorrect).

The quiz doesn't seem to be very good at identifying speakers of Romance languages. Has anyone gotten one?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    English is a Germanic language with a lot of Latin words, so while there are many differences, there are also quite a few similarities. For example, noun stacks are used in both German and English and very few other languages (and they are not, no matter what the link says, grammatically incorrect).
    A big difference, however, and I think that's one of the main reasons why German is said to be so difficult, are the many different cases we have. But since German is my native language, I can only refer to what I've heard in regards to difficulty.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    A big difference, however, and I think that's one of the main reasons why German is said to be so difficult, are the many different cases we have. But since German is my native language, I can only refer to what I've heard in regards to difficulty.
    Of course there are big differences; they are entirely different languages. German and English are, however, far more similar than, say, Vietnamese and English. The quiz offers you sentences in English that are structured in ways that would be similar to other languages. If a sentence in the quiz contains a noun stack and it sounds right to you, it is at least somewhat statistically likely that German is your native language. It might not be very likely, but it is more likely than many other languages could be, as speakers of most languages would find a noun stack quite strange.

That's all the answers mean.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    What is a noun stack?
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    What is a noun stack?
    Does my link not work? Try this one: https://www.prismnet.com/~hcexres/st...un_stacks.html

An example that will probably sound somewhat familiar: software integrity validation specifications.

Noun stacks (also called modifier stacks) are one of the banes of the technical editor's existence.

vCash
    Does my link not work? Try this one: https://www.prismnet.com/~hcexres/st...un_stacks.html
    It works, I just didn't see it (I read your second post on the subject but skipped over the first).

What were there noun stacks in the quiz? I guess I should go re-take the quiz and look for some, now that I know what they are...
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    It works, I just didn't see it (I read your second post on the subject but skipped over the first).

What were there noun stacks in the quiz? I guess I should go re-take the quiz and look for some, now that I know what they are...
    I don't know that there were any; I don't remember any of the sentences. It's just one example of how a sentence in English would correlate to German.

vCash
    I took it again and must have answered some questions differently, because my results were different. I got distracted and forgot to look for noun stacks.
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I took it again and must have answered some questions differently, because my results were different. I got distracted and forgot to look for noun stacks.
    Are you still an English speaker?

vCash
    Yes, but somehow ebonics became my third possible dialect.
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Yes, but somehow ebonics became my third possible dialect.
    That's what comes from talking to college students all day.

vCash
    I'd but I haven't had to talk to a college student in about a month now. There's no place better than a university campus in the summer!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    For example, noun stacks are used in both German and English and very few other languages (and they are not, no matter what the link says, grammatically incorrect)
    German language does worst than "noun stack"..... it "noun combines".....:

Rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften - Insurance Companies with a Provision of Legal Shield.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Our top three guesses for your English dialect:?

1. American (Standard)
    2. Singaporean
    3. Canadian

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:?

1. Russian (good one!)
    2. Romanian
    3. Vietnamese
    What's with the Singaporean? And is Russian similar to Vietnamese?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Our top three guesses for your English dialect:
    1. Australian
    2. American (Standard)
    3. Singaporean

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
    1. English
    2. Dutch
    3. Norwegian

Interesting top dialect, I sure wasn't expecting that result.

vCash
    Our top three guesses for your English dialect:

1. New Zealandish
    2. Australian
    3. Welsh (UK)

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:

1. English
    2. Norwegian
    3. Swedish

Interesting. I grew up speaking (Australian) English and Italian, and with a Welsh stepdad; I now speak what I would consider to be pretty international English (I actually can easily adapt depending on the nationalities of the people I am talking with) and Mandarin Chinese.

vCash
    1. American (Standard)
    2. Australian
    3. Singaporean

1. English
    2. Norwegian
    3. Vietnamese

Interesting second choice. I can only surmise that it is because I have watched a fair bit of Australian television shows (or have watched Aussies on US shows), but then again if we're going by that logic, I would have thought British English (or whatever dialect they call it) would have come up since I watch far, far more British TV then even American TV sometimes. I'm not in contact with any native English speakers from other countries on a regular basis, so it's not because their phrasing rubbed off on me.

Although, I wonder if I could have skewed the quiz more to British/Australian dialect if I had selected more of the options that I KNEW were non-American. There were a lot of options I recognized as being in use, but I only selected the phrasings that I myself would naturally use. I suppose that is the point, but I bet that if I had selected ALL the ones I recognized instead of just the ones I myself use, I could have skewed the quiz to "up" my British English percentage, lol.

All in all, interesting quiz! I'm in the process of taking a TESOL course which is focused heavily on learning the basics of the English language and it's origins so you can better understand how to explain it to others. Fascinating stuff.

vCash
    English dialect:
    1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
    2. Singaporean
    3. New Zealandish

Native language:
    1. Greek
    2. Swedish
    3. Arabic

As long as people understand what I'm talking about, broken English is not that big of a problem, right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast