Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think it is all but a foregone conclusion that the USA will lose to Germany so it will com down to GD.

vCash
    Winner of US - Germany is in (duh!);
    If Ghana & Portugal tie, both the US and Germany are in;
    If Germany & the US tie, they are both in;

If Germany beats the US...
    (A) and Portugal beats Ghana, the winning teams combined total of goals ahead has to be 6 (or 5 if Portugal scores 3 more goals than the US) for Portugal to be the 2nd team from this group;
    (B) and Ghana beats Portugal, the winning teams combined total of goals ahead has to be 3 (or 2 if Ghana scores 2 more goals than the US) for Ghana to be the 2nd team from this group.

Amirite?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    That goal at the last minute was really unexpected!
    Looking forward to tomorrow's Brasil-Cameroon match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    I'm so upset. I just wanted the US to go through to prove everyone wrong.
    Me too! And because Klinsmann is such a fun and invested coach! And a US win would have meant Germany was more or less through as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    If Germany & the US tie, they are both in;
    Now, considering that the U.S. coach used to play for Germany, you don't suppose they might just decide to have a tie game to guarantee they both get in?

They could just spend 90 minutes passing the ball back and forth to each other.

Then again, nothing like that _ever_ happens in football.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    I don't have much to report on my match, except for the smell of Algerian supporters
    Deodorant, anyone?
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Ghana have a chance as well - and if Germany beat US and Ghana beat Portugal then it comes down to goal difference. Any of the 4 could go through still.
    I really want Ghana to go through (because i love them and i fully admit they have played a lot better than Portugal in this tournament--they were especially impressive against Germany) but i am afraid to get my hopes up, especially with Prince Boateng injured and Muntari out for the next game. This is one of the teams i most look forward to seeing in this next quad--so many talented young players who have done really well at the junior level. But I want to expect the worst and hope for the best

I can't wait to see tomorrow's games!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    I'm so upset. I just wanted the US to go through to prove everyone wrong.
    They still have an excellent chance of going through - a draw or a win against Germany ensures that and even if they lose it depends by how many and the result of the other match. Don't despair just yet!!

vCash
    I still think the US will make it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
    Now, considering that the U.S. coach used to play for Germany, you don't suppose they might just decide to have a tie game to guarantee they both get in?

They could just spend 90 minutes passing the ball back and forth to each other.

Then again, nothing like that _ever_ happens in football.
    No way - I suspect that would make the Germans all the more hungry to beat the US what with the German coach and his somewhat snide comments about how they (the German team) had an extra day rest prior to the final group game!!! That and the fact that the German (and Austrian) teams were heavily criticised for playing out their group match in 1982 to a 1-0 win to Germany which put both teams through with little attacking football happening after the Germans went 1-0 up. I recall watching that game - it was obvious that the teams had decided ahead of the game for that result - though of course no-one could prove it.

vCash
    Quite an accomplishment for those European teams, holding Ghana and the U.S. to draws!

vCash
    Final group games in group B going on - Spain 1 up looking for some sort of consolation win. The Netherlands-Chile currently 0-0 with a very tactical game going on. As it stands Holland win the group but as group A is still fairly open neither team will know who they face until later on. Still unsure why group B is finishing ahead of group A but I'm sure FIFA knows what it is doing

vCash
    No way - I suspect that would make the Germans all the more hungry to beat the US what with the German coach and his somewhat snide comments about how they (the German team) had an extra day rest prior to the final group game!!!
    What's snide about the truth?
    The thing is, "the German Coach" is the one who believed in a lot of those players still playing in the German National Team. He threw out a lot of old folks and put people like Podolski, Schweinsteiger and Lahm onto the team even though they were young and inexperienced. Hell, Podolski wasn't even playing in the first Bundesliga but the second by the time he joined the National Team. "The German Coach" is the one who made the German team explode in the 2006 World Cup who chose a team rather than technical players and stars and made the nation stand behind their team. And we're still benefitting from what he's done because there is still the public viewing and people still stand behind their team and are euphoric about it. They get out the flags, they cheer, the celebrate and it's never happened like that before 2006 because patriotism was frowned upon for the Germans ever since World War II. But people are celebrating their soccer team, they are excited about it and the team excites people.

I would have loved to see what Klinsmann would have been able to do with the German team had he been given the chance and I can only hope that the US advances and that even if not, he's given the chance in the US. He thinks out of the box and he creates a team rather than stars because he's aware that it's the team and the team spirit that counts and if there's one thing he doesn't deserve is to being referred to as snide and that dismissive "the German Coach".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    sniped

if there's one thing he doesn't deserve is to being referred to as snide and that dismissive "the German Coach".
    I should have referred to Klinsmann by name and that I do apologise for - but he was snide in his referencing the extra day of rest - a fact he happily ignored when it has been in his - or his teams - favour in previous world cups!!

vCash
    Spain is up 2-0 playing a rather un-Spain like style. Too bad they didn't put this team on the field earlier in the tournament instead of the same tired old look.

vCash
    Now 3-0 for Spain's bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexikeguchi View Post
    Now 3-0 for Spain's bench.
    Playing for pride can really help to motivate a team - my fingers are crossed for England doing something similar tomorrow.

Netherlands now 2 up so will be winning that group!!

vCash
    Playing for pride can really help to motivate a team
    I think that's the key. All the favorites are playing very tight while the dark horses are playing with freedom and looking great.

vCash
    Poor Cameroon!

vCash
    Not sure how Brazil missed then. I wonder if Brazil are so focused on the win that they could get a breakaway goal scored against them.

Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast