Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Saw Edge of Tomorrow. It rocked! I went back and saw it again the next day and enjoyed it even more--wears well over time IMO. The storyline was interesting, the acting good, lots of action but didn't seem boring or endless, no real gore, was pretty funny throughout, had new plot revelations throughout so wasn't just mindless action. I highly recommend it

vCash
    HTTYD2 opens next week here, I can't wait to see it! In 3D, even though I usually don't like it very much. It's just that every time I rewatch the first film I find myself wishing I'd seen the flight sequences in 3D, so this time I'm going for it.

I didn't like Maleficent very much. It contained the elements of a great story, but it was so messily put together that it just left me going "meh". Edge of Tomorrow was great fun - it could've been messy, and super confusing, but it wasn't. Same thing with Days of Future Past, which I almost didn't see simply because the trailers were so befuddling, but then the buzz declared it good, so I saw it, and it was.
    The most recent film I saw, Tracks, was more straightforward though: it was the true story of a young woman who walked across the Australian desert together with four camels and a dog. Definitely not a "popcorn flick", but worth seeing on a big screen anyway, thanks to the great outback vistas.

Coming films I want to see (apart from HTTYD2): Begin Again, because Mark Ruffalo; Guardians of the Galaxy, because EVERYTHING; And Snowpiercer, because Chris Evans - although so far it seems that one won't be opening anywhere at all here in Sweden.

In other film related stuff: The Swedish HQ of all things geek, the Science Fiction Bookstore, celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, and are therefore putting on an actual, proper ball in August. I'm going, and I've already started working on an epic, badass ball gown inspired by this guy. It's going to be AWESOME!

Afterlife
    vCash
    I'm hoping Snowpiercer makes it to my small corner of Alberta but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll just do what I did with The Grand Budapest Hotel and keep checking the website just in case it does make it up here. I'm either going to How To Train Your Dragon 2 or Edge of Tomorrow on Sunday. My brother and I haven't decided what we want to see more yet. They were both on the list of movies we want to see but aren't stressed about missing. Now we actually have to decide.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Can't speak for Canada, but "Snowpiercer" opens in only 8 theaters in the U.S. tomorrow.

"Transformers: Age of Extinction" is the only U.S. wide release (and runs an astounding 165 minutes.)

I also would recommend "Edge of Tomorrow," one of the better sci-films in the last few years.

"Malificent" did nothing for me, but I did think the movie looked cool and the costumes were great. It seemed quite obvious that the script went through a myriad of writers.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    "Malificent" did nothing for me, but I did think the movie looked cool and the costumes were great. It seemed quite
    obvious that the script went through a myriad of writers.
    I thought the correct collective noun to use was "a worship of writers."

Just me
    vCash
    I liked Twister, I like Armitage and this looks like it might be good:

Into the Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XR2YY-r1U

Opinions?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I hope to see Edge of Tomorrow this weekend, despite a very busy schedule

Afterlife
    vCash
    Can't speak for Canada, but "Snowpiercer" opens in only 8 theaters in the U.S. tomorrow.

"Transformers: Age of Extinction" is the only U.S. wide release (and runs an astounding 165 minutes.)

I also would recommend "Edge of Tomorrow," one of the better sci-films in the last few years.

"Malificent" did nothing for me, but I did think the movie looked cool and the costumes were great. It seemed quite obvious that the script went through a myriad of writers.
    I suppose its small consolation, we get the whole movie instead of the hack job that Harvey Weinstein wanted to make it in to. He bought the distribution for Snowpiercer in english speaking countries and then wanted them to cut 20 minutes out. They finally got him to let them not cut the 20 minutes but they only got a limited release and against Michael Bay's explosion fest. I really wish the Transformers movies would go away.

I liked Maleficent but I expected it to suck from the time it was announced. So then I just enjoyed the excellent work of the CG people and how pretty it looked and Angelina Jolie chewing scenery.

I keep hearing Edge of Tomorrow is one of the best sci-fi movies in recent years which is why I'm leaning towards that for my movie this weekend.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I saw "Twister" and promptly forgot it, like most popcorn flicks. This preview is pretty much special FX, so hard to tell if there will be anything else in it worth watching. This preview was in front of "Edge of Tomorrow" when I saw that, it didn't seem to generate much buzz from the audience.

The teaser for "Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" was released yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCB2U9lX48

vCash
    The teaser for "Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" was released yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCB2U9lX48
    Ok, who else got chills? Especially at seeing

Spoiler

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I suppose its small consolation, we get the whole movie instead of the hack job that Harvey Weinstein wanted to make it in to. He bought the distribution for Snowpiercer in english speaking countries and then wanted them to cut 20 minutes out. They finally got him to let them not cut the 20 minutes but they only got a limited release and against Michael Bay's explosion fest. I really wish the Transformers movies would go away.
    Unless the Weinstein's produce a movie, they generally don't open them wide these days. But believe me, if it does well in limited release they will move to widen the distribution. It's never going to be in 4000 theatres like "Transformers," but hopefully it will be close enough to you eventually that you're able to catch it in a movie theatre.

I'm proud to say I haven't seen any of the "Transformers" movies. I've boycotted anything Michael Bay directed since he managed to put out three of the most stupid summer tent-pole movies ever: "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor," and "The Island."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I liked Twister, I like Armitage and this looks like it might be good:

Into the Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XR2YY-r1U

Opinions?
    I saw the preview for this on the weekend. Could either be really really good or really really crap. I did like the scene at the airport. I will wait and see what the word of mouth is after it comes out before going to see it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Unless the Weinstein's produce a movie, they generally don't open them wide these days. But believe me, if it does well in limited release they will move to widen the distribution. It's never going to be in 4000 theatres like "Transformers," but hopefully it will be close enough to you eventually that you're able to catch it in a movie theatre.

I'm proud to say I haven't seen any of the "Transformers" movies. I've boycotted anything Michael Bay directed since he managed to put out three of the most stupid summer tent-pole movies ever: "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor," and "The Island."
    I'm hoping Snowpiercer does make it here eventually. Grand Budapest Hotel made it here after about a month so I'm hopeful.

I didn't realise The Island was Michael Bay until around the time Transformers came out. I have no idea why it took me so long but it did. I wanted to like The Island, I've been a fan of Ewan McGregor's for ages but that movie is really just very boring. It's not even that it's bad, its too boring to be bad.

Just me
    vCash
    I saw "Twister" and promptly forgot it, like most popcorn flicks. This preview is pretty much special FX, so hard to tell if there will be anything else in it worth watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I saw the preview for this on the weekend. Could either be really really good or really really crap. I did like the scene at the airport. I will wait and see what the word of mouth is after it comes out before going to see it.
    I don't expect it to be much more than special FX, so I'm probably not going to be disappointed. It just looks like it might be a fun summer flick.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Tammy looks like Melissa McCarthy doing her same ol' schtick ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus there's Susan Sarandon.

vCash
    I really like Melissa McCarthy. She was really funny in the heat. Plus I saw her on SNL and she was hilarious. And that says something when SNL can be so hit or miss.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    From what i've seen of MM work on the small screen, I do not find her appealing at all. It seems like she's popular for being a fat chick who isn't afraid to do outrageous physical comedy. Chris Farley became popular for that, but Farley actually had a child like charm to him. I find MM charmless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    From what i've seen of MM work on the small screen, I do not find her appealing at all. It seems like she's popular for being a fat chick who isn't afraid to do outrageous physical comedy. Chris Farley became popular for that, but Farley actually had a child like charm to him. I find MM charmless.
    I find her very charming. The "schtick" I was talking about tends to follow the same path in her movies: outrageous physical & bawdy comedy that's masking a vulnerability that eventually comes out. Identify Thief was probably the best example of this, and was a movie I enjoyed even more than I expected to. I think I'll grow tired of this formula at some point, but I'm not there yet.

(As for her small-screen work, I've only seen a couple of episodes of Mike & Molly and haven't been at all impressed, but I loved her character in Gilmore Girls.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I don't think it was a mistake.
    I don't disagree with what you said, I just want to give them the benefit of the doubt

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Oh, and I didn't mention - if you go, stay for the credits. The credits show all the concept art, which is incredibly beautiful.
    It really was beautiful. The first one had them too

vCash
    That Mockingjay teaser - gave me chills. Can't wait.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast