Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I saw "Ender's Game". OMG, it was never-ending.

vCash
    I think I'm in the minority on Maleficent. I found the story weak and most of the characters problematic (not to say teeth-grindingly, hair-pullingly, mind-bendingly stupid).

Jolie's performance was very strong, though. And there's no doubt her cheekbones are the ninth wonder of the world. The whole thing really felt like a showcase for her.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Can't believe Mrs Brown's Boys D'movie is getting a US release.

And it's a British production. Nothing Irish about it at all. Yes, sireee.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Another good movie is Twenty Feet From Stardom, all about what life is like for background singers. One discovery that I'm grateful for is Tata Vega. I've been listening to her songs on youtube and she is amazing!!
    I mostly liked 20 Feet. I agree that Vega is amazing, as is Lisa Fischer, and I loved hearing the stories of the "older days." Where the movie lost me though was the heavy emphasis on that younger singer (Judith Hill) in the last 1/4 or so of the film -- I found her to be whiney and ungrateful for what many only dream of ("Oh, woe is me, I deserve to be a lead singer but no one sees me as anything but a backup singer.") I didn't even like her singing all that much. Ugh. I guess they wanted to show a present-day situation but it really detracted from the story for me. But still a great film. And the soundtrack album is worth checking out too.

vCash
    I saw The Edge of Tomorrow yesterday. Really exceptional sci-fi action flick. I would highly recommend it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I think I'm in the minority on Maleficent. I found the story weak and most of the characters problematic (not to say teeth-grindingly, hair-pullingly, mind-bendingly stupid).
    But, a lot of people (and apparently fairies) are weak and stupid. There are plenty of people who let ambition corrupt them. And plenty who pursue vengeance at all costs, even if innocent people pay the price. letting feuds go on for generations and within entire nations or regions. And how many people fear and hate those who they don't know or understand? There are lots of stupid people in this world.

vCash
    Stupid enough to let a hungry baby cry all night without once thinking "Oh, maybe she needs to eat"? Or stupid enough to give a baby to people who are that stupid? Even in a fairy tale movie, it beggars belief.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    You guys talk about a fantasy-fairy tale as if it was a historical drama. You know Maleficent is not a sequel to Sophie's Choice, right??

vCash
    You guys talk about a fantasy-fairy tale as if it was a historical drama. You know Maleficent is not a sequel to Sophie's Choice, right??
    Yeah, but I didn't think it was supposed to be a sequel to Dumb and Dumber, either.

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 06-17-2014 at 02:14 PM.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I loved "queen margot." I was v sad when due to space consideration I had to let it go. It is strange mainly I think because it's history far removed. The politiks were pretty awful and bloody and not all that subtle for sure. But it's an interesting and engaging story.

Niw, everyone who ever watched a reaaaalllly bad film because a reaaaalllly goid actor was in it raise your hand. I did that last night: Paul bettany in "priest." I guess this was once a graphic novel or comic book? Well it made a crap movie but bettany kept the level of his acting like he was playing Shakespeare. Too bad the other actors couldn't then maybe I could have watched the whole film instead of giving up 3/4 way thru. If you want to see a *good* paul bettany film try the one where he portrays Charles Darwin. I think Jennifer Connelly is in it too.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Stupid enough to let a hungry baby cry all night without once thinking "Oh, maybe she needs to eat"? Or stupid enough to give a baby to people who are that stupid? Even in a fairy tale movie, it beggars belief.
    If the fairies in the movie are more based on traditional folk tales, then I can see them being stupid enough or rather weird enough, that they don't understand babies crying means they're hungry. (In some folk tales, fairies cries when they are happy. It causes problems for the human men who are stupid enough to marry them.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I saw "Ender's Game". OMG, it was never-ending.
    It was a disappointing movie

I'm with you.

I expected it to be a prequel of sort to Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Instead, they decided to totally change the story :/ Why would a nice fairy have Maleficent as a name? Were her parents being ironic? I guess I was expecting a darker story - the story of a real villain (maybe something like Macbeth? ). After all, the original fairy tale was pretty dark - containing rape and cannibalism

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I saw The Edge of Tomorrow yesterday. Really exceptional sci-fi action flick. I would highly recommend it!
    I like it too The domestic box office seems grim though...
    Last edited by DAngel; 06-17-2014 at 11:20 PM.

vCash
    I didn't realize you were referring to such minor characters as the little fairies. But, yeah, if such minor things are going to ruin a movie for someone, then movies based on fairy tales probably are not for them. I mean, how stupid was Little Red Riding Hood?

But, I think very few people who have seen Maleficent would find it comparable to Dumb and Dumber.

vCash
    Just finished American Hustle. A well-made movie, but I'm not a fan of anti-hero movies. The best part of American Hustle is a DVD extra, the uncut version of Jennifer Lawrence lip-synching to Live and Let Die. Amazing!!!

vCash
    ^^I wasn't as impressed with American Hustle as a lot of people seemed to be. I thought it was a decent movie but I don't think it was deserving of all of the hype it got. I did love Jennifer in it though...granted I'm a pretty big Jennifer fan so, she can do no wrong in my eyes.

Saw two movies this weekend: How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Edge of Tomorrow. Both were great.

HTTYD2 was really excellent. I loved the original one and I think they did a great job with this one. Lots of funny parts, a few sad parts, loved all of the flying scenes and the story they came up with was really good as well. Definitely something I'll buy when it comes out. I really wanted to see it in 3D in IMAX but just had to settle for 3D...still excellent though.

I didn't really want to see Edge of Tomorrow but that's what my dad chose to see for Father's Day. It was a good choice. Really great sci-fi movie if you're into those kinds and actually pretty damn funny. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. It was a really good movie and I'd recommend it.

Next movie on my list is Lego Movie. It should be hitting Redbox in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm supposed to be catching up on the Iron Man movies. I've seen the first one, but I need to see the second one (I DVRed it when it came on FX a week or two ago) and then I can finally watch The Avengers before going on to the Iron Man 3 and the second Thor movie.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I found American Hustle to improve vastly by using the fast-forward button.
    Have a nice day!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    We watched Jack Ryan last night. Wow, what an awful movie. Horrible script and some pretty horrible acting from people who typically do better. I am going to blame the director on that one. The female lead was just, I don't know, unusual to look at. Like, she should be pretty but none of the shots they chose for her were flattering in the least and they always chose shots of her making really odd faces. Maybe she pissed off the director.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Jack Ryan was pretty... boring. I rented it right after I saw your review because Keira Knightley is the lead female and I was very confused by what you said because how do you make Keira Knightley look bad? And I honestly didn't agree with that part. She's not as gorgeous as she usually is, and I'm not sure why, but I don't think it was nearly as unflattering as all that, and she's still beautiful. Chris Pine, who is similarly good-looking, also wasn't quite as attractive as he usually is. Again, no idea why.

But yeah, Kenneth Branagh shouldn't direct action flicks. He's much better at creating tension amongst characters than in action sequences. I think there were a lot of things that could have gone well that were just boring instead. The script was imperfect, but I think they could have done a lot more with it then they did.

vCash
    Now I'm trying to decide if Jersey Boys is worth seeing. I've read a lot of critics who pan it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast