Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I loved the original 'Seducing Dr Lewis' - almost afraid of seeing a remake.
    I remembered really liking Seducing Dr Lewis ... but I didn't remember anything else about it, so The Grand Seduction was like a whole new movie for me. If you're going to do a English-language remake of a foreign-language film, waiting 10 years seems like a good plan to me!

It's also worth nothing that it's the same screenwriter for both movies, Ken Scott. He did the same thing last year with Delivery Man, which was a rewrite of his brilliant French-Canadian film Starbuck from a couple of years ago.

vCash
    Below are the major movies releases listed at wikipedia. The list seems small, surely there are more big movies coming out this month?? The only one I listed a trailed for was one I hadn't heard about, it's a British import, so not sure how well it will do. But the trailer was really funny!!

June 6th The Fault in Our Stars - Drama - Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort

June 13th 22 Jump Street - Action, comedy - Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, Ice Cube

June 13th How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Action, animation, fantasy - Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Kristen Wiig, Kit Harington, Djimon Hounsou, Cate Blanchett

June 20th Jersey Boys - Drama, musical - Christopher Walken

June 20th Think Like a Man Too - Comedy, romance - Kevin Hart, Regina Hall, Gabrielle Union, Taraji P. Henson

June 27th Transformers: Age of Extinction - Action, adventure, sci-fi - Mark Wahlberg, Kelsey Grammer, Stanley Tucci, John Goodman, Ken Watanabe

June 27th Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie - Comedy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEy1zPEhyc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    DAngel - Edward Norton seems to be in all of his performances. Just re-watched "American History X" last week. I want to watch "25th Hour" again this week.
    American History X is a movie.

Thank you Integrity, Vash, Artemis, Smurfy Good to know we're all on the same side

vCash
    I see Tom Hiddleston is going to star in a new Hank Williams biopic. I cannot WAIT for all the Hiddles fangirls on Tumblr to start acting like they're the first ones to ever discover classic country music.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/tom-...-sing-as-well/
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    The only one I listed a trailed for was one I hadn't heard about, it's a British import, so not sure how well it will do. But the trailer was really funny!!

June 27th Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie - Comedy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEy1zPEhyc
    I've seen a few episodes of the TV show, and it works in small doses. I'm not so sure about a full-length movie though -- but the trailer does look promising.

vCash
    Speaking of musical biopics, I saw the trailer for the James Brown the other day. It stars Chadwick Boseman -- let's see if he's as good as James Brown as he was as Jackie Robinson.

Get on Up - August 1

vCash
    Below are the major movies releases listed at wikipedia. The list seems small, surely there are more big movies coming out this month??
    A few generic-sounding action films (good grief, Guy Pierce, aren't you tired of those yet?), as well as these:

All Cheerleaders Die - Jun 13
    High school comedy/satire.

Third Person - Jun 20
    An "interconnected storylines" movie, starring Liam Neeson, Olivia Wilde, James Franco, Casey Affleck, and Mila Kunis. (Happy to see Liam Neeson in something other than an action role for a change!)

Venus in Fur - Jun 20
    I saw the play of this -- it was very stagey, I'm not sure how it will translate into film. But it could work. And it's Roman Polanski.

Yves Saint Laurent - Jun 25
    French, biopic -- focussing on his early days.

They Came Together - Jun 27
    Romcom with Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, and Cobie Smulders. 'Nuff said.

vCash
    re: How to Train Your Dragon, my favourite movie reviewer, Eli Glasner, interviewed Jay Baruchel (Hiccup) and asked him what he thinks about during his "scenes with" Toothless in order to be able to feel that connection, since of course he's not interacting with another actor. Jay said he thinks about his cat, Mary Minou -- who is not entirely dissimilar to Toothless. Awww! Makes me like Baruchel all the more.

Picture of said kitty here.

vCash
    I watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 at a screening last weekend. It was great! The animation was visually spectacular. I really enjoyed it, even more than the first one. I would definitely recommend watching it in the theaters.

vCash
    ^ I just got back from seeing it! It was amazing! Seriously, I went in with some pretty high expectations- unlike with Maleficent, I was not disappointed. The animation was incredible and it had a great storyline. I'm already planning to go see it again.

And Toothless is still the most awesome, cat like dragon ever. So many giggles.

vCash
    Two movie recommendations:

August: Osage County was amazing! Great script, wondrous performances. Can't recommend this one enough!

The Fifth Estate (Benedict Cumberbatch as Julian Assanage, also stars Daniel Bruhl). Seeing these two movies so close together has made me a big Cumberbatch fan. He's quite amazing, want to see if he can do comedies now in addition to his incredble dramatic work.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I think "tree of life" is one of those films you have to be in a certain state of mind/feeling to watch and if you're not it pretty much sucks. I liked it but only as an every-now-and-then kind of film.

I don't want to see any of those summer movies. Not even for free on my free movie pass.

Library did not have "her" or "gravity"- settled reluctantly for "american hustle" and something I'd seen a preview for "red lights" which is not about hookers or traffic signals.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    The Fifth Estate (Benedict Cumberbatch as Julian Assanage, also stars Daniel Bruhl). Seeing these two movies so close together has made me a big Cumberbatch fan. He's quite amazing, want to see if he can do comedies now in addition to his incredble dramatic work.
    I liked this movie more than I expected to -- it's definitely better than the 6.1 rating it has on imdb. And although Cumberbath is indeed great (and the main reason I wanted to watch this film), Daniel Brühl was equally excellent in his role.

But mostly I liked the ambiguous shades of grey the movie paints re: Assange. It's a great movie to discuss afterwards.

vCash
    I freaking loved Tree of Life. One of my favorite films. I remember defending it on this forum when it came out

vCash
    Went to see The Fault In Our Stars. Great movie worth seeing but bring your tissues.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Red lights" was TERRIBLE. Not even gd enough to be a made for tv movie. Really really BAD. one of those hey we all got a paycheck films. Gah. I want my hour and 45 min back!!!!
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    I saw a 20th anniversary reissue of 'Queen Margot' - french movie with Isabelle Adjani, Vincent Perez. Daniel Auteil and Virna Lisi (as Catherine de Medici). Great, entertaining, strange, at times disgusting movie. Set in 1572 - with badly behaving royals, violence, sex, power plays, murder(s) and intrigue. The cinematography, set design and costumes were great - felt very real. In a way the story is confusing - but oh so entertaining. One interesting thing with the reissue - I remember the original - at the end had a summary that eventually Henry of Navarre became Henry IV and what happened to Margot. No summary at the end. Interesting that they would do that. Movie was in french with subtitles. I had read up on that part of history when I originally saw the movie. My buddy that saw the movie with me the other day - did not know of St Bartholmew's masacre - so she was confused at the end without the summary.

vCash
    I saw Maleficent today with friends. Because people were saying they were disappointed with it, I lowered my expectations. Didn't need to, it's a WONDERFUL movie. The effects are beautiful, I loved the whole story, great performances and I personally feel Jolie should get a best actress nomination for next year's Oscars.

Another good movie is Twenty Feet From Stardom, all about what life is like for background singers. One discovery that I'm grateful for is Tata Vega. I've been listening to her songs on youtube and she is amazing!!

vCash
    I also saw Maleficent this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up liking it. In addition to the special effects and performances, I thought it was an interesting allegory.

I keep meaning to watch Twenty Feet From Stardom. It's on my viewing list.

Nobody has heard from Peter? Maybe he's house hunting? I hope he's okay.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Nobody has heard from Peter? Maybe he's house hunting? I hope he's okay.
    I PM'd him last week but I haven't heard back yet. I don't have another way to contact him so I was hoping he had it set up so that he would get PM notifications in his e-mail.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast