Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

I won't even presume to take Peter's place but we're definitely needing a summer movie thread. No poll, no trailers, just a thread to get the talk going.

Jump St, Dragons, Jersey Boys, Return to Oz, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, What If, The Giver ... what are you most looking forward to?

On my list:

Jersey Boys -- I've missed this on stage a few times (the story & music didn't entice me enough to pay the $$) but I'll definitely see the movie version.

The Giver -- loved the book, and I think it could make a great film.

Magic in the Moonlight -- Woody Allen's latest, with Colin Firth and Emma Stone, set in 1930s England and about psychic frauds ... what's not to love?

The Hundred Foot Journey -- looks like Chocolat with Indian food, and stars Helen Mirren, I'm there.

I'm also interested in the Planet of the Apes, How to train Your Dragon 2, and Obvious Child, but will probably wait for video for those ones.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 06-11-2014 at 06:25 PM.

vCash
    I want to see Words & Picture (Juliette Binoche and Clive Owen)- I saw the trailer

vCash
    And if you're looking for an alternative to the summer movie offerings of CGI-overloaded 3D action films and romcoms aimed at 20-somethings ... this one might fit the bill for you: The Grand Seduction. I saw it last night, and found it very entertaining.

It's not terribly original -- it is in fact a remake of a Quebec film from about 10 years ago, La Grande Séduction, aka Seducing Dr Lewis -- and it has all the familiar elements of the quirky-small-town-characters-band-together films we've seen over the years from Britain, like Local Hero and Saving Grace and Waking Ned Devine.

But it's funny and sweet, and its charm overcomes the predictability of the plot.

Plus it's a gorgeous Newfoundland setting, and a cast of familiar Canadian faces: Gordon Pinsent, Mary Walsh, Mark Critch, and Cathy Jones, to name a few, as well as Brendan Gleeson as an honorary Canadian doing a very passable Newfie accent.

I have no idea how widely this one is being screened outside Canada, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I want to see Words & Pictures (Juliette Binoche and Clive Owen)- I saw the trailer
    Yes, that does look good, doesn't it? I think it might be pretty limited release, though, so might be hard to find on screen.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2380331/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Another one that I saw a trailer for last night was I Origins. It's written & directed by Mike Cahill, who did Another Earth, which I absolutely loved (and stars Brit Marling, whom I also love). This looks like another "what if" kind of film with lots to talk about.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2884206/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

vCash
    Transformers and Guardians of the Galaxy

vCash
    Everyone I've talked to said Maleficient was really good. IDK if I'll see it in theaters but I will see it at some point.

I'm planning on going to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 this weekend. I want to see it in IMAX 3D. I'm not big on 3D or IMAX for that matter but I want to see this one in that format. I feel there are certain movies you can actually get more out of or enjoy them even more if they're on a bigger scale and I think this is one them. I remember the reviews of the first one comparing the 3D scenes to some of the flight scenes in Avatar (which were awesome) so I definitely plan on checking it out in 3D if I can. Plus the first one was so good, I'm excited to see what grown up Hiccup is like

vCash
    I still need to see The Fault in Our Stars, but of those mentioned in the OP: How to Train Your Dragon, The Giver, and The Hundred Foot Journey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    ... but of those mentioned in the OP ...
    Don't limit yourself to that list! I only listed a handful of summer movies of which I'm aware, that's by no means a comprehensive list.

(p.s. Peter! Come back! All is forgiven!)

vCash
    Oh, I realize that! I just haven't gone to look at what else is coming out. You gave my list a good start though!

vCash

Afterlife
    vCash
    The Giver looks really interesting. I'm thinking I may need to give the book a look but I will be watching the movie too. I'm also looking forward to Magic in the Moonlight and I Origins but those I'll have to check out when they hit Netflix or iTunes. Woody Allen and Brit Marling movies both tend not to make it here. I'm really excited for Guardians of the Galaxy and Scarlett Johansson's Lucy looks like it could be good as well.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    I saw the fault in our stars and recommend it. Even the bf liked it and he is picky. But I cried - CRIED - the whole last 30 minutes.
    What would Jenny do?

INTJ
    vCash
    I've heard really good things about The Grand Seduction. It won't be coming to the theatre near me though so I'll have to wait.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy. The previews had me cracking up.

The trailer is out for Dumb and Dumber To. I know the first one was really dumb but it sure was funny. I laugh until I cry every time I watch it and I have seen it countless times. I don't expect the sequel to touch the first one in the laughs department but I will say the trailer has some promising moments. Some other parts were a little over the top but hopefully they don't go too far for most of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXHVlEklgQ
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Where is Peter? I hope everything is well with him...

I watched a couple of movies this week... Moonrise kingdom, Darjeeling Limited, Upside Down and Edge of Tomorrow. I also attempted to watch Tree of Life and failed

Upside down... Beautiful world. The love story is kind of meh... I wish they would just explore the two worlds and expand more on reverse gravity condition. I love the reverse drinking scene and the goldfish in a blob bit. I enjoyed the movie once I stopped thinking about the "science"/logic behind it.

Darjeeling Limited. I think I adore this movie Stylish and silly and parts of it totally reminds me of my relationship with my two sisters... (Keeping secrets from one sister, wondering if we'd be friends if we're not siblings, etc etc)
    Moonrise Kingdom. Ed norton is and some parts are funny, but I like this one a bit less. I have to say, Wes Anderson's cinematography really improved in the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Tree of Life. I watched this movie because I love Darren Aronofsky's the Fountain and people said that TOL is very similar. I got to the 1 hour mark and just couldn't continue. To me it feels a lot like going to a church, listening to a prayer while looking at beautiful slideshow of images with religious background music.

Edge of Tomorrow. It was fun and had good action scenes.Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt played each other nicely. Good popcorn flick The whole time reset thing does bring about the grandfather paradox though. I'm a little ambivalent about the ending...

vCash
    DAngel - Edward Norton seems to be in all of his performances. Just re-watched "American History X" last week. I want to watch "25th Hour" again this week.

I didn't like "Tree of Life" at all either.

vCash
    I hated Tree of Life. A few people actually walked out of the theater after about one hour (or may be less). I was considering walking out too, but stuck through till the end. It didn't change my opinion that it was a horribly boring movie and did not deserve all the praise it received, except for Brad Pitt's performance. He was great.

vCash
    I really, really, really hated Tree of Life. I forced my self through to the end just because so many people had raved about it, but by about the 50 minute mark I was reading a magazine at the same time.

If I hadn't had such high expectations I might have at least been able to enjoy the spectacular visuals ... but as it was, ugh. At least I got it from the library and didn't waste any money, just time.

vCash
    I found Tree of Life so boring. Visually pretty, but after awhile that got old.
    A local AMC theatre does a 2 day marathon on the 2 Saturdays before Oscars showing all Best Picture Nominees every year which I have gone to for a few years now. Lots of the same folks go every year
    I had already seen TOL, so left for a nice dinner, to avoid seeing it again. In the 2 years since - TOL has been mentioned as a benchmark for boring. Comments like ' not as bad as TOL' hee hee

Artemis@BC - I so agree about expectations - really impacts what one thinks of a movie.

I loved the original 'Seducing Dr Lewis' - almost afraid of seeing a remake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I found Tree of Life so boring. Visually pretty, but after awhile that got old.
    A local AMC theatre does a 2 day marathon on the 2 Saturdays before Oscars showing all Best Picture Nominees every year which I have gone to for a few years now. Lots of the same folks go every year
    I had already seen TOL, so left for a nice dinner, to avoid seeing it again. In the 2 years since - TOL has been mentioned as a benchmark for boring. Comments like ' not as bad as TOL' hee hee

Artemis@BC - I so agree about expectations - really impacts what one thinks of a movie.

I loved the original 'Seducing Dr Lewis' - almost afraid of seeing a remake.
    Nice to see others also finding TOL boring. I couldn't understand the raves it was getting. I wasted my time and money but I don't regret it because if I had not sat through the entire movie, I might have had some doubts, like may be there was something interesting later. The visuals were spectacular but at times there was too much of those, and quite tiring on the eyes. I agree that TOL is a benchmark in boring movies that were nominated for Oscars. Outside of that, I am sure there are worse movies (though I can't imagine it- LOL)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast