Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss/Ms/Mrs.?

vCash
    Howzabout "Babe"?

vCash
    I use Ms., for two reasons:
    - Like quartz says, I am not my marital status, so there is no reason to choose a title or honorific based on whether I'm married or not.
    - Mrs. Overedgehusband is wrong because I didn't change my name when I got married, and Mrs. Overedge is wrong because I am not married to someone who has my birth surname.

As to whether it is a pet peeve, it actually doesn't come up that often. The only people who call me Mrs. Overedgehusband are some of Mr. Overedge's relatives when they address Christmas cards to us, and by now it's been going on so long that it's not worth getting worked up over, or trying to get them to change. But I would blow a gasket if somebody I just met tried to call me Mrs. Overedgehusband.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I'm shocked that anyone under the age of 60 still refers to females of any marital status in a professional setting as anything other than Ms. I suppose it's generational, but I think both Miss and Mrs are disrespectful because they both tie the woman's title to her relationship to someone else.

I'm old enough to both get "ma'am" frequently and to no longer be indignant about it.
    I don't think it's generational, at least where I have lived and am currently living. The woman that called me Mrs. today (and it triggered this thread ) is in her 20's. I have met people in all age groups that called me Mrs. Of course there were some that did use Ms. I prefer being called by my first name, but I understand that in certain settings people don't feel comfortable with it. However, we have all called our CEOs/Presidents/Directors (of corporations or agencies) by first names, so it shouldn't be that difficult to call me by my first name.

vCash
    I prefer Ms.

I never changed my last name when I married so my telemarketer trick is to say "she doesn't live here" when they ask to speak to Mrs. Husbands-last-name.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I prefer nothing, but if I had to choose, it would be Ms. I have been referred to as "ma'am" more often than not nowadays. It started happening a few years ago, so maybe 25 is the breakpoint? Though I've also always looked older than I am...

Mrs. sounds like I'm more matronly than I feel, and I don't have my husband's name anyway. I still keep on getting asked about it, but I don't think it's that unusual anymore?

Like I want to be referred to as "I need a polka," besides the inconvenience of getting everything changed.

vCash
    I prefer Ms. for all the previously mentioned reasons.

What is even worse than Mrs. is when people call you Mrs. HIS LAST NAME without your first name in the title.

Even worse, Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 06-10-2014 at 12:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

What is even worse than Mrs. is when people call you Mrs. HIS LAST NAME or Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME.
    Etiquette wise, I think that is correct though. A lot of etiquette books say it is wrong to use Mrs. with the woman's first name.
    It's not really modern usage, as women get their own names

vCash

What is even worse than Mrs. is when people call you Mrs. HIS LAST NAME or Mrs. HIS FIRST NAME HIS LAST NAME.
    Anyone who ever tries that with me is getting a punch in the face.

vCash
    I'm a teacher and it does my head in when kids repeatedly refer to me as Mrs... instead of Miss. Even kids I've taught for several years do it occasionally - which normally leads to my class yelling "She's not married!" in chorus at whoever the offender is!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Anyone who ever tries that with me is getting a punch in the face.
    I've only been given that title by my father-in-law and father, when they sent cards. I wanted to return the cards to sender, saying no such person lives here.

To make it all the more annoying, I never even changed my last name to my husband's last names.

Telemarketers used to call asking for Mrs. MY FIRST NAME - based on the name that used to be listed in the phone book - I always enjoyed telling them there was no Mrs. here!

vCash
    I've only been given that title by my father-in-law and father, when they sent cards. I wanted to return the cards to sender, saying no such person lives here.

To make it all the more annoying, I never even changed my last name to my husband's last names.

Telemarketers used to call asking for Mrs. MY FIRST NAME - based on the name that used to be listed in the phone book - I always enjoyed telling them there was no Mrs. here!
    I'm very lucky in that my mom never took my dad's last name and neither did my mother-in-law. (Alf was actually born with a hyphenated last name, Joseph Gordon-Levitt style, but his paternal grandparents disowned them so they changed it back. I'm seriously considering doing it for our future progeny, so my in-law's original mission can finally be fulfilled. )

My family's used to it. The only people who call me Mrs. Alf are Alf's friends who don't know what a feminist I am, or my relatives who don't know us all that well.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Ms. Period. I changed my name in my first marriage but used my own professionally, which was confusing. Changed it back at divorce and never changed it again and never will.

Oh I do hate ma'am from retail clerks but I can't blame them, I'm certainly old enough to be addressed that way.

In Hebrew all women if all ages are called Giveret or their first name. Makes sense to me. On the other hand the word for husband also means 'owner.'
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    If I ever get married, I will not be changing my last name. I intend to always be Ms. Michiruwater.

I get called 'Mrs.' by the little ones all the time (I teach K-8). They just can't keep all the titles straight. Sometimes I get called Mr.! I just remind them that I am not married. For the most part they all get it.

What drives me nuts is when fellow teachers constantly call me Mrs. Michiruwater, and then their whole class does so as well. I have no idea what about me would give an adult who has never asked the impression that I am married. Very few of my fellow teachers are older than 30 or so (high turnover here) so I am surprised they don't all just default to Ms., especially when all of them go by Ms.!

INTJ
    vCash
    I get cranky with anything other than Ms. Miss is for girls, Mrs. is for my parents generation or older. Men aren't expected to disclose their marital status with their title so why should I? I changed my name to my husband's when I got married and back to my maiden name when I got divorced. I'll never change it again. Things are fairly serious with my current bf and I told him there was no way in hell I was changing my name again or being referred to as Mrs. He wasn't surprised
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I am married, but kept my last name. As others have said, it doesn't generally bother me when people who don't know me well address me by Mrs. HusbandsLastName. But, when my MIL does it, or even worse Mrs. HusbandsFirstName HusbandsLastName, I am . She knows better, but is making a point. But I bite my tongue for the sake of my husband.

Overall, it is easier and fine-with-me if you just call me by my first name. Unless, of course, you insist on shortening it, as many people do, to a commonly used nickname that I can't stand and have never used. Somehow, that bugs me, particularly from people who don't know me well. If I meet you and introduce myself as JeffisJeff, why would you immediately switch to calling me Jeff?
    Creating drama!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Dr.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I am married, but kept my last name. As others have said, it doesn't generally bother me when people who don't know me well address me by Mrs. HusbandsLastName. But, when my MIL does it, or even worse Mrs. HusbandsFirstName HusbandsLastName, I am . She knows better, but is making a point. But I bite my tongue for the sake of my husband.
    The two of you call each other by the same name? (Mrs. HusbandsLastName)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Dr.
    That's my choice too, if they want to use a title. If I were teaching at a university, I would definitely want to be addressed as 'Dr.' and I did for the few courses I taught. In the corporate world though everyone from top to bottom was called by first name, including those with Ph.D., and the top guys/gals. In my current job my email signature has 'Dr.' as a title, but many people address me as 'Miss' and that irritates me. I don't mind it if they call me by my first name.

vCash
    You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

I've been reamed out for calling someone by their first name (which I usually do because even professionally I prefer to use first names and be as informal as possible).

I've been reamed out for calling someone Mrs X for the reasons given in this thread.

I've been reamed out for calling someone Ms. Y because they were married and were offended, because they weren't married and thought I was being sarcastic or making some kind of point.

Since i seemed to get into trouble regardless I go for offending people with their first name because it's more in keeping with my own style. Also meeting someone face to face or over the phone with "can I call you [first name]" usually turns out ok, even if they say no, because they then tell you what they want to be called.

I've never been so happy to work for a Japanese company where you just call everyone san and they're happy

vCash
    If I'm uncertain about a woman's marital status, I'll use Ms.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast