Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerobicidal View Post
    I really hope Marina gives the Shibutanis a Les Miserables free dance. It would be so interesting to see ice dancers, or really any figure skaters, portray the characters from that incandescent musical.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    It will definitely be interesting to see what Marina has up her sleeves for the upcoming season!

vCash
    I may be biased, but I have a really hard time liking Marina. May be she is just doing what a coach is supposed to do- tell the world how wonderful her skaters are. I don't see her doing that for the Shibs though, and it bothers me that after V&M and D&W's success she is not exactly promoting her #3 ice dance team of the last quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    indeed

I suppose that makes sense. Chock and Bates' program had such a cohesive and appealing blend of music and choreography. Top teams might not want to risk looking worse by comparison.

After reading the interview, I am at least as sure as I was before I read it that Zueva will do her best to give both/all her teams strategic programs next season.

vCash
    I am interested to see what Marina means by a post D/W and V/M era - I am guessing she means less speed, intricacy, and accuracy and more artistee stuff.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I am interested to see what Marina means by a post D/W and V/M era - I am guessing she means less speed, intricacy, and accuracy and more artistee stuff.
    Now that S/K is her number 1 Team, I guess she's intimating that the new standard "might" just look like them Politicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    ...and she's declared the era of V/M and D/W as they currently are, is over. (If they want to return, they'll have to morph into something else.)
    I'm sure the work D/W did on DWTS would help them with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blancanieves View Post
    Now that S/K is her number 1 Team, I guess she's intimating that the new standard "might" just look like them Politicking.
    Exactly!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I figure the number 1 team is the team that pays the most $$$$ for coaching etc.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I really hope Marina gives the Shibutanis a Les Miserables free dance. It would be so interesting to see ice dancers, or really any figure skaters, portray the characters from that incandescent musical.
    When the musical was newer, that music was used a bit by skaters. Todd Eldrege's 91 free skate was Les Mis and I believe he used some of the music again years later in a SP. Several ladies have done exhibitions using On My Own.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I figure the number 1 team is the team that pays the most $$$$ for coaching etc.
    I figure the #1 team is the one that places higher internationally.

vCash
    I'd imagine the (unofficial) number 1 is the team she thinks most likely to have the "look", momentum, fed backing, politiks, etc, to be a contender for 2018 (and I doubt that's the Shibs). While S/K might be self-funded now, if she can package and push them toward success, Russian fed backing will surely follow. (And if they don't succeed, Marina will have a reason why...which has nothing to do with her. )
    Last edited by flowerpower; 05-30-2014 at 03:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    When the musical was newer, that music was used a bit by skaters. Todd Eldrege's 91 free skate was Les Mis and I believe he used some of the music again years later in a SP. Several ladies have done exhibitions using On My Own.
    Hopefully it will fall back into favor. I'd especially enjoy, now that vocals are acceptable in all disciplines, if a skater or team used "Master of the House" as performed by Bonham Carter and Baron Cohen.

Another great choice for the Shibutanis, which incidentally lost to Les Miserables at the 1987 Tonys, would be Starlight Express.

vCash
    Marina's choreography is getting stale, IMO. She only manages about one good program a year these days.

vCash
    Latest quotes from Katsalapov are translated here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4271572
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sorry for being a little gloomy but I could see no "fastest team in the world" or the "most beautiful team" or even the "hardest working team" in these 2 at the moment. V/M and D/W are still miles ahead of these title at the moment.

vCash
    Just wondering. Have either V/M or D/W made it official that they are retiring?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh466 View Post
    Just wondering. Have either V/M or D/W made it official that they are retiring?
    No.

May 12th CSOI article excerpt: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...-ice-1.1058575
    With Winter Games gold and silver from Vancouver 2010 and Sochi 2014, there really isn’t much left for Virtue and Moir to prove in ice dance. Both said they are still considering the future.

“I’m glad Patrick has reached a decision, but we’re far from it,” said Virtue.

“We’ll give ourselves some time. Over the last 10-12 years, we’ve only taken two weeks off at a time. There’s been no off-season.”

If any Canadian athletes have earned a moment of reflection, it’s Virtue and Moir.

“We’ll definitely need the bulk of the summer to decide,” said Moir.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I could see Marina paying more attention to the Shibs now that she has Victoria and Nikita. It's very, very unlikely but I think Marina likes the idea of having dueling couples again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    I could see Marina paying more attention to the Shibs now that she has Victoria and Nikita. It's very, very unlikely but I think Marina likes the idea of having dueling couples again.
    She probably thinks they'll motivate each other. I guess I can see that because when the Shibs were training with V/M and D/W, the latter two probably took all her time with them being the dominate teams in ice dance and having to juggle them to make sure one of them didn't leave house. The Shibs came in as a team that was a few steps behind D/W and V/M and now with S/K, they have a team that is closer to their level to be motivated by. However, it could just as well be the case that Marina will give all her attention to S/K and ignore the Shibs again while convincing them that they aren't being ignored.

She must've worked overtime to convince the Shibs to stay with her because I remember reading something after Worlds that said Alex and Maia weren't sure if they would continue competing.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    So how does Massimo fit into the equation? Is he now the technical coach in Canton? And what about Maurizio?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12