Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SYTYCD 2014

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Neither of these crews seem that interesting.
    I kind of liked the bollywood group 'wanted'..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I liked the Bollywood group ok. And is the Biebs growing a mustache or did they give him a glass of chocolate milk to drink before taping?

These two hour auditions are killing me! Junkie brother girl was good, she brought an intensity that elevated her technique. Loved Armin and Marlena - way more smokin hot chemistry than the couple that was doing kissy face all through their dance last week. I thought the funky ballerina was ok, but I expected more from the ballet AND the funk after her promo reel. Really loved the dead mom guy, and I wish the slow krumper had gotten through.

Jenna's bf is a very good dancer but sorta goofy. Loved when she said they made out before every dance and he looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock. I was afraid from the preview that he was going to ask her to marry him on the SYTYCD stage - fortunately it was just Nigel asking her to be an all-star. I wonder if he just wanted to get her under contract before DWTS started (weren't the auditions several months ago?)

Nigel's lecherous old man act is really wearing me down.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Storm put my satellite TV out so I only caught bits and pieces. ITA with genevieve on junkie brother ballerina, her performance made up for some transition issues in her technique. Liked Armin/Marlena a lot. Missed the funky ballerina, but I didn't think she looked too great in the choreography. Liked dead mom guy a lot.

I like that Jenna will be an all-star -- I saw their intro, but missed the audition.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Nigel's lecherous old man act is really wearing me down.
    This! We said the same thing in our house last night.

vCash
    his schtick has been getting old for years, but some of the comments so far this season have been just......I can't even with him anymore
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Misty Copeland! Very excited to see her...what an inspiration to have her on the show.

I thought the little kid dancing with Cyrus and Fikshun was really cute. For 9 years old, he's pretty good. I thought their improv dance was pretty great to say it wasn't set up (assuming it wasn't set up). I don't get the point of kids getting up there (they can't get a ticket) but I actually enjoyed him. When he met Twitch...that was really adorable. He said it was a dream come true to meet him and that it was the best day of his life. I thought that was sweet.

The girl who lost her father was lovely. Beautiful dancer.

The funky ballerina...I was more impressed by the contrast of her appearance with her style of dance than I was with her actual dancing. I think she has the potential to do a lot more but her audition solo wasn't a good as it could have been. When Beyonce's "Flawless" started playing I just knew the girl was going to kill it. I was a little disappointed. The other ballerina girl was lovely though. Still, no one holds a candle to Eliana IMO. Definitely my favorite ballerina from the show.

Jenna's partner was really good. I agree w/ Misty when she said he looks kinda goofy/boyish standing there but that he really transforms when the music comes on. I thought he was great! I was never Jenna's biggest fan. I liked her but to me she never stood out as much as the others did despite the fact Nigel kept saving her. I don't know why he invited her back as an all-star already but whatevs...congrats to her.

Loved the creature guy who lost his mom. His dancing was really different, interesting and unique. Loved his performance and his technique was amazing. To say he's been through so much he really has a beautiful spirit. He was such a sweetheart!

Loved the slow krumper guy too. It was a slower dance but he still brought the intensity and energy to it. Krumping is usually so hard and almost violent, but to slow it down and actually make it almost pretty...very different. Really enjoyed him and I do wish he'd gotten through as well.

All of the ballroom couples were on fire. I could see a number of them making the top 20.

I skipped the wacking guy and the hip hop dancer who got a heated when he got cut in Vegas last year...but I think they both got through...good for them.

I'm not really feeling the whole "dance crew" portion of the show. That said, I thought the Bollywood group was the more interesting of the two. The other crew didn't impress me much.

Ugh, Justin Bieber. I fast forwarded any time he was on the screen...his thin little douchebag mustache makes me want to punch a wall. I honestly can't stand the kid.

Auditions wrap up next week. Bout time...

vCash
    Decent but not overwhelming night of auditions. Glad it's the last one before "Vegas" (yes I know it's LA...).

Mariah, jazz chick: really nice moments, but sometimes a bit rough on transitions. Pulling faces throughout, which kinda bugged.

"Silky", tap dancer-turned-hip-hop dancer: Nigel was rude to interrupt, but this guy has waited 5 years since his last audition and knew just how to adjust. No surprise that a tap dancer would be so musical, but I loved his interpretation and the tension in his body.

Love Boat jazz baby: Nigel was suprisingly hard on her. She did pull faces but not any more than Mariah did and she wasn't called out on it. Overall I found her to be all technique, wanted more warmth in her dancing.

FikShun's friend was cute but his style is too close to FikShun's, without the ability to pick up basically anything and make it work.

Sideshow - was that the Dragon House guy who flipped over essentially nothing? That was weird.

And who was the guest judge on day 1? He didn't talk a lot but he had some decent comments.

Melissa the cheerleader who can do 50 backflips in a row - no thanks. Can't believe she made it to the green mile last year.

Angelina - LOVED her! Nigel has it wrong - she did plenty of dancing, she just didn't need to be doing trick after trick after trick.

Missed the last guy and his cute son.

Apparently, the competition circuit trends this year include 1) the dramatik front drop into russian splits, preferably with some controlled rebound action. It was impressive the first time I saw it, and a couple of dancers used it well, but I feel like I saw it 20 times tonight and I think there were only a dozen dancers shown. And 2) balancing in relévé with the toes curled under, sort of going en pointe without shoes. Again - interesting at first, but boring when done over and over again. And for the love of Cat's wardrobe, can't anyone do a counterclockwise pirouette or hold their left leg up one in a while?

vCash
    Apparently, the competition circuit trends this year include 1) the dramatik front drop into russian splits, preferably with some controlled rebound action. It was impressive the first time I saw it, and a couple of dancers used it well, but I feel like I saw it 20 times tonight and I think there were only a dozen dancers shown. And 2) balancing in relévé with the toes curled under, sort of going en pointe without shoes. Again - interesting at first, but boring when done over and over again. And for the love of Cat's wardrobe, can't anyone do a counterclockwise pirouette or hold their left leg up one in a while?
    This.

My favourite of the show was Ricky. Liked the ballet girl on pointe, wish I'd seen the whole audition.

vCash
    Since my kids started as skaters, they turn way better counterclockwise, but no one choreographs them in at all. Every thing is clockwise turns and right legs tilts

vCash
    his schtick has been getting old for years, but some of the comments so far this season have been just......I can't even with him anymore
    Yeah, this is why I don't watch the show live anymore. I just skip to the performance. I can't tolerate Nigel's pervy grandpa crap.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    So they are naming the top 20 tonight?

Have we ever had a woman in labour on the show before?
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Some dancers I really liked have not made the cut. I'm enjoying this speeded up version of "Vegas"- a bit less fluff/more dancing.

Public Service Announcement- shirtless Dimitri and sizzling Anya at the 45 minute mark.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Do you think johnny is pissed Tara gets to do this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mackiecat View Post
    Since my kids started as skaters, they turn way better counterclockwise, but no one choreographs them in at all. Every thing is clockwise turns and right legs tilts
    I started skating as an adult and my unbalanced dance training screwed me. I'm so right side dominate but have to skate leftie. Pretty much made loop impossible because my left leg is so weak. But I cannot spin the other way. I tried.

vCash
    I hate the group dances. Self choreographing a group isn't required during the main show. It's a silly requirement.

Oh, and shocking twist Nigel. They all get to stay? Everyone saw that coming... Sucks to be part of a group that did poorly and did get sent home apparently loyalty was all that was necessary, not dance skills.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 06-26-2014 at 02:29 AM.

on my couch awaitin' Figure Skating season
    vCash
    I really hate the group dances, also. I thought they all looked a mess this time. A lot of the dancers I liked didn't make the cut. Do not get the love for the trailer park blonde ballroom girl. She reminds me of a stripper-pole dancer. Funny when Nigel asked Irina Dvorenko "you don't like anyone, do you?" Ha! I don't think people can pull poor technique or tricks over on that woman. Take one of the worlds great (now retired) Prima Ballerinas, well, she knows her stuff. Tara, surprisingly, was not a pushover, either. There was no slobbering over people (except with Nigel & Mary) and yes, his dirty old man act is getting really pervy at this point.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I'm living for Ricky this season. He's already giving me Alex Wong and Jakob Karr vibes.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    I liked the accelerated Vegas week, but after two hours I'm almost as tired as those poor dancers

Sorry about Steven, I really liked him. Deserved to go, unfortunately
    Not sorry about Mary Poppins

WTF is the show's hard-on for Jessica ("jazz" dancer who seems to be auditioning for a second rate strip club with every dance) and Tenisha (ballroom girl we saw at the beginning doing a solo in a tutu)? Don't care for or about either of them.
    Not a lot of hip hop this year, is there? I only noted Emilio and someone named Teddy. OTOH, looks like there is a LOT of ballroom this year, which should be interesting.

Gutted about Jaja and Johnny Wax

Happy about Ricky, Valerie & Zack (tap dancers), Nick and Rudy, Marquette and Brooklyn, and I think Jackie (although IIRC she got no airtime tonight).

Tara had some great expressions tonight, often off on the side of the screen. The look on her face after the first group of Sonya's jazz routine was priceless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I'm living for Ricky this season. He's already giving me Alex Wong and Jakob Karr vibes.
    Agreed!

vCash
    I'm on team tap and team Marquette! They've got some good folks in this group. I think Jessica may stay around a while, but Tenisha is a good candidate for a top 16 elimination.

I can't wait to find out who Nigel throws under the bus with a bad pairing!!!
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast