Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SYTYCD 2014

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

Last year was a really great season, so I want this one to be good, but I felt like that was the lamest opening audition night of all the seasons.
    ITA, they were raving over people who had marginal technique. I hope more talent shows up at the other cities.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    ITA, they were raving over people who had marginal technique. I hope more talent shows up at the other cities.
    It is a rare contemporary audition that seems very compelling. They all seem so similar, and choreographed as a series of Ta-DA's interrupted by dramatik pain.

I'm also amazed at how Nigel can continue to be shocked and amazed that a contemporary dancer can lift her leg up to the side. At this point, I'd be more surprised if a contemporary dancer couldn't.

vCash
    Puppeting???

Anyone else watching?

Re-registered User
    vCash
    The puppeting seemed almost mime like. More street performer than SYTYCD. He was sweet though.

Alopecia girl was great to watch. I love seeing contemporary without hairography.

eta- I am not going to watch the contortionist. Ick.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Aww man, totally forgot this was on tonight

vCash
    I just can't get into it. I'm finding it boring. Maybe it's just me.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    And we have some hairography. Judges loved her. I kind of hated that.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    wow, that verizon commercial where everyone exercises made me feel like a gigantic load
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    That girl from the Czech Republic has the most amazing eyes I have ever seen. And the hair brings out the color even more. WOW.

She just do eye makeup commercials.

vCash
    How nerve wracking must it have been for the guy from Wichita to have to "battle" (uh, dance with...there was no competition) the guys who had already been on the show. Especially if he had never danced before.

I thought he did better with them than during his solo, but the level of polish on those other guys just really show 1) why they got on the show as hip-hoppers and possibly 2) performance skills they picked up from the show.

I really don't care for the hip hop battle style dancing that much, but I infinetly prefer it to another generic contemporary hair flinging, leg to the ear, do some fouettes number.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Czech girl was riveting. I can see why she was recruited by Phillip.

Amazing dance battle to start off the second hour. Fikshun, Cyrus, Legacy and new guy.

I'm in the minority. I find the audition rounds mostly a happy celebration /cross section of dancing, interspersed with a few exhibitions of genius- such as a the girl in black who just performed, and Mary and Christina stood for...

eta- and the lovely ballet couple... are any ballet experts watching? I thought she was better than the blonde from the first hour, but I have no ability to judge technique.

Time to get a snack- Bieber and dance crews up next.
    Last edited by rjblue; 06-05-2014 at 02:23 AM.

vCash
    The girl in black wasn't the typical contemporary we see. She didn't rely on her hair at all

Honestly, those 'generic' contemporary dancers are the base of the show, and they tend to shine once fabulous choreographers get their hands on them. But I'm glad a lot of them are just shown in montage.

The ballet couple was very good but 1) I just really felt that dance should have been done in a tutu and 2) omg I do not want to see them kiss again. Enough, we get it, you're in love!

Also- at least one person today didn't get the memo that they aren't going to vegas.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    omg the girl who says people think she looks like miley cyrus is all hopped up on coffee and pixie sticks. i'd sew her mouth shut.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Wow fake Miley was annoying. Her dance was too many HMV moves. We get it, you're flexible.
    I was also distracted because her head seemed too big for her body.

And did she have a nose ring, a mole/birtmark or a big zit? That was driving me crazy while the judges talked to her.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I really hate the way they did all the pensive shots of the girl with the eating disorder. I didn't much enjoy her dancing either, but I'm guessing I'll be seeing too much of her for a while.

eta- Oh yay, they at least just sent her to choreography, not straight through.

I didn't care for Miley girl either.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Mary Poppins and Fikshun made me tear up. I loved that. (I'm choosing to believe that that was impromptu and don't tell me differently)

vCash
    Really loved Mary "Poppins". She was amazing.

Did we see that poor boy puke three times?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    this was a MUCH better night of auditions than last week!!

Bald girl was good - she is striking for sure but also dances with not-typical contempoblahness

Another dark haired modern girl I really liked, although she lost major points when she mimed strangling herself while the lyrics mentioned suffocating. -3 GOE, but I'm glad she went through anyway.

Ballet couple - she really shone; I thought he was weaker and nothing special. It wasn't just that he didn't have much to do, he looked overall more tentative and less strong. She probably could have gotten through on her own; him, probably not.

Loved Jana the Czech!

Tap dance girl was fantastic!

The Kansas popper - admit it, he was 20,000 times better than anyone expected, and I thought he did ok with the 3 SYTYCD alumni. It was nice they let him try the choreo, no surprise he dropped out.

Dude who almost made it last year was nice to see....although he looked a little tired by the end.

Didn't watch contortionist, Christina kinda bugged with the "you're broken and had to move your arms like that" comments for eating disorder girl, and Frenchy Poppins was fun but not all that great, I thought. Oh, and I'm So Sexy girl - she surprised me at the beginning of her piece, I liked her way more than I thought - then the hat came off and I felt like I was watching a Cinemax lolita special. Combo of OTT sexy moves with the immature permagrin was . Good dancer but there are a million more with the same skills.

Poor pukey boy! At least he had a sense of humor about it. If he tries out again next year, expect to see this clip about 20 more times.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Ballet pas de deux girl had lovely lines and a strong core, but her turn out was lacking. I thought he was going to miss that lift though. Would like to see how he does in a variation.

I don't think the Joffrey trainee is going to get into the Joffrey ballet.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Interview with Fabrice Calmels about his background and being a guest judge on SYTYCD:
    http://chicagoist.com/2014/06/04/int...ce_calmels.php

Would way rather the show have people like him as guest judges than most of the celebs they've brought on. Exceptions: Christina Applegate and Jesse Tyler Ferguson.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast