Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: SYTYCD 2014

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I'm on team tap and team Marquette! They've got some good folks in this group. I think Jessica may stay around a while, but Tenisha is a good candidate for a top 16 elimination.

I can't wait to find out who Nigel throws under the bus with a bad pairing!!!
    Actually, I think teens and tweens will love Tanisha. She's not super pretty. She's a hard worker. She's decent at all the genres.

It's going to be very interesting to see who's the first to go.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I forgot to mention that weird floppy fish thing Ricky did at the end of his final solo - super freaky but also very cool.

And as always, I feel bad for those who got into the top 20 without much or any pimping. Mostly a bunch of contemporary redshirts, but still. We saw so much of some folks who didn't get in, I'd like to see something from these people before they are thrown to the mercy of a million tween girl (and us)
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    WTF is the show's hard-on for Jessica ("jazz" dancer who seems to be auditioning for a second rate strip club with every dance) and Tenisha (ballroom girl we saw at the beginning doing a solo in a tutu)? Don't care for or about either of them.
    ITA about Jessica. Every year there's always one person they pimp ridiculously who bugs me to no end (last year it was Jasmine). I'm hoping she tones down the stripper girl face.

I'm sad we didn't get to see more of Jourdan during L.A. week. Her audition brought me to tears. I'm excited to see what she can do in the competition.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Can anyone discern any "favorites" yet?

vCash
    I wonder who is this year's Jenna? The one who will be cast to the wolves by viewers nearly every week only to be saved by Nigel week after week after week.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubak View Post
    I really hate the group dances, also. I thought they all looked a mess this time. A lot of the dancers I liked didn't make the cut. Do not get the love for the trailer park blonde ballroom girl. She reminds me of a stripper-pole dancer. Funny when Nigel asked Irina Dvorenko "you don't like anyone, do you?" Ha! I don't think people can pull poor technique or tricks over on that woman. Take one of the worlds great (now retired) Prima Ballerinas, well, she knows her stuff. Tara, surprisingly, was not a pushover, either. There was no slobbering over people (except with Nigel & Mary) and yes, his dirty old man act is getting really pervy at this point.

ITA, ITA, ITA, ITA.

I think I like Ricky and Marquette. Not totally sure, but I think so. Maybe a couple of others, but I was quite surprised at some of the choices (like Dancing with Dead Dad girl).
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Wasn't going to watch this year but Richard insists. I have no favorites and can't remember but 4 or 5. Richard likes the young black ballroom dancer-tall thin guy. I'm hoping the 2 ballerinas will do well. Like the boy from Miami. The contemporary girl with the long blonde hair who had to dance for her life was just skanky. I bet Nigel loves her.

Yes, my absolute favorite part of the entire show to date was Nigel's saying that to Irina. I can jolly well imagine what she thinks of all this, and I am wondering what they paid her or what she's getting in return. What would I give to be a fly on the wall as she lets go of her thoughts out loud to whomever. That would be fun.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 06-29-2014 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    I LOVE the black tall ballroom guy and Jenna's boyfriend to pieces. I love the ballerinas, and one of the guy who reminds me a lot of Alex ... But that's all I can remember
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    I LOVE the black tall ballroom guy and Jenna's boyfriend to pieces. I love the ballerinas, and one of the guy who reminds me a lot of Alex ... But that's all I can remember
    Jenna's partner (bf?) didn't make top 20.

As for what does Irina get from being on the judging panel -- money, pop culture recognition, media profile, TV time, press and money. While she may be a super star in ballet, the average person doesn't know her. This was her opportunity to increase her public persona.

vCash
    But towards what end, Pixie Cut? I don't disagree with you. I just wonder what she's up to? What can a superstar ballerina DO when she retires besides teach, coach, choreograph or work in the front office of a ballet company? Of course in theory she can do anything she wants. I don't know and I'm not arguing at all. Maybe she wants to be an actress....she is certainly stunningly beautiful. It's just interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    But towards what end, Pixie Cut? I don't disagree with you. I just wonder what she's up to? What can a superstar ballerina DO when she retires besides teach, coach, choreograph or work in the front office of a ballet company? Of course in theory she can do anything she wants. I don't know and I'm not arguing at all. Maybe she wants to be an actress....she is certainly stunningly beautiful. It's just interesting.
    I saw it as a strategic move to increase her name recognition. "SYTYCD judge to conduct master class at NameYourComp." I think that increases the session price by a factor of 2 or 4.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I really like Ricky and Marcquet, but the dancer who blew me away in auditions was Stanley. He's only 19 and he reminded me a lot of a very young Desmond Richardson, because of his height and long lines. He didn't get much coverage in LA, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him in the live shows.

Found this video of him on YouTube.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Yes, my absolute favorite part of the entire show to date was Nigel's saying that to Irina. I can jolly well imagine what she thinks of all this, and I am wondering what they paid her or what she's getting in return. What would I give to be a fly on the wall as she lets go of her thoughts out loud to whomever. That would be fun.
    ITA, that was a riot.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I saw it as a strategic move to increase her name recognition. "SYTYCD judge to conduct master class at NameYourComp." I think that increases the session price by a factor of 2 or 4.
    Not at "Name Your Comp." Only at the highest level ones. She's too stellar a name (at least right now.) But yeah-maybe for that. She certainly is absolutely gorgeous. I saw her dance Nikia in La Bayadere with ABT at Lincoln Center a few years ago-speechless. How I wish I lived closer to NYC!!!!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    oh my gosh

i'll be up all night making a ricky t shirt
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Yeah. I've finally found someone I love as much as Allison. That was entrancing.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Finally caught up on the DVR. Add me to the Ricky fan club. I think this is the first one I would rewind and watch again.

ETA: Of course it's Sonya Tayeh choreography. Wish they could get more like this.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I'm also a definite Ricky fan. Stanley too. Their dances were my favorites tonight. I also liked the samba.

vCash
    Finally, the top 20!

Very canny pacing tonight. I started the show in a bad mood and by the end I was back in SYTYCD's delicious little clutches once again. Today's lesson: choreography matters. And 8-second self-pimping makes everyone sound like they just sucked a helium balloon.

Opening group routine - was very rote. I was afraid that it was a Mark Kanemura piece and I was going to despair, after he made one of my favorite pieces last season, but it was Sonya Tayeh.

FINALLY new opening credits! Although those geometric drawings over the dancers are irritating. And WTH is up with the online only voting?

No clue who this guest judge is, but based on his comments, I'm going to call him Lil Mama.

Brooklyn/Serge - Cha Cha, Dmitry
    He is giving it everything he's got; she is working on the technique. Did she even look at him? Chemistry was wonky because of that.

Emily/Casey - Contemporary, Travis
    Travis definitely not wasting his better effort for the first week - trotting out the tired trope of "arguing couple" as a theme. Boring choreo. These two also seemed a little nervous, some transitions were skittery, but there were lovely highlights.

Valerie/Zack - Tap, Anthony Moregirati?
    Great concept, well performed, and just about ruined by the music choice. Gave the dance a frantic feel, undermined the nuance of the performance. Add in that they were stuck in the beginning, and I worry for these two

Bridgette/Stanley - Contemporary, Bonnie Story
    Oh goodie, another "arguing couple" piece. Is this NappyTabs tribute night?
    ok, maybe I have to take that back - this one has far more emotional impact and better integration of story + technique. Stanley is GLORIOUS and Bridgette was right there with him.

Jacque/Jordan - Ballet, Marat (didn't catch his full name)
    I was excited that they would put two ballet dancers together but I think this did them both a disservice. One of them was clearly more precise than the other but it was impossible to tell them apart, both onstage and in the fluff. I think the choreo won't play well to the general audience and Nigel's (relatively) harsh comments will hurt them. I won't be surprised if they are both in the B3 next week.

Malana/Marcquet - Samba, Louis Van Amstel
    YES!! Both playing to the audience more than each other, slightly tentative in places, but that was smokin hot. Possibly the first samba rolls in SYTYCD history that didn't look completely awkward. His legs are amazingly fast! Looking forward to more from both of them.

Carly/Rudy - Contemporary, Stacey Tookey
    I missed whether this is another arguing couple. I think they're more in the "it's complicated" phase of the relationship. Rudy doesn't have the finesse and maturity of the other dancers but he's still quite engaging to watch. And somehow these two seem well matched even though her technique is much better. Best chemistry so far, will be interesting to see how they do with others next week.

Emilio/Teddy - Hip Hop, Christopher Scott
    Scott is not wasting his airtime on a phoned in piece (ahem, TRAVIS). This was fantastic - I was thinking this would be the piece of the night for me. I admit I didn't think I'd like Teddy but he was really good. He and Emilio also had tremendous energy, and they managed to be crisp, loose, smooth, and musical all in two minutes. Emilio got more highlights but they both had a chance to shine here.

Jessica/Ricky - Contemporary, Sonya

holy crap, y'all. That was a professional modern piece. No mf competition show pony. I wish Nigel had pointed out that the music was Meredith Monk, a hugely important figure in the modern dance (and in the larger avant-garde) movement of the '60s and '70s. But that was just....mesmerizing.

And all apologies to Jessica - I'd written her off based on the audition/LA fluff but she has won me over here. Piece of the night, and possibly the season.

Tenisha/Nick - Cha Cha, Louis Van Amstel
    Poor Tenisha and Nick - they really got hosed. They had to follow that amazing piece, and then the judges skimped on comments to get the show over with. I thought they were very evenly matched and highly enjoyable to watch, but there was no way they were going to match the intensity of the previous piece.

Based on tonight's performances, the only women I'd be really pissed to lose are Valerie and Jessica, although I would bet it'll be one of the ballet girls. I really liked all the guys - Rudy was the weakest technically, but I'd guess Casey will get the first boot - performed first, an unremarkable contemporary, and I don't recall seeing audition fluff about him. Expendable.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    sorry for the double post, but I just went to the SYTYCD website, and the ONLY way to vote, either online or through the phone app, is to log in with a facebook account. That is BULLSHIT. No more voting for me!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast