Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    wow rosewood thanks for the answer
    so physical education, does than mean with her degree she can became trainer or coach someday

what are the other skater major, such as miki ando and takahiko kozuka that attend the same university as mao? the same
    i remember that taka-chan already in graduate school in cukhyo
    and the other skater in kansai uni such as dai, oda, machida ?

vCash
    ^I usually don't follow skaters' private life so I asked Google.

Chukyo Univ students

Takahiko Kozuka graduated from Chukyo University Faculty of Physical Education. He entered to the graduate school and his major is physical education.

Miki Ando entered Chukyo University Faculty of Physical Education and finished in 2011. Supposedly she took online classes or something since she mostly stayed out of Japan during those years.

Mao entered Chukyo University Faculty of Physical Education and she took one year off from school till this April. Supposedly she's aiming at finishing school next March.

Kanako entered Chukyo University Faculty of Sports Science last April.

Kansai Univ students

Daisuke Takahashi graduated from Kansai University Faculty of Letters Department of Humanities. His major was sports culture. He entered to the graduate school and he major is sports culture. He's been taking absence for a couple of years.

Nobunari Oda graduated from Kansai University Faculty of Letters Department. He majored in English literature and English linguistics. He entered to the graduate school of Letters. I guess his major is the same as Takahashi's(=sports culture) since in a recent interview he said he's aiming at graduating by finishing master thesis on coaching.

Tatsuki Machida entered Kansai University Faculty of Letters and he's aiming at graduating next Mach. I guess his major is the same as Takahashi's(=sports culture).

BTW I found this photo which Kanako posted on twitter. They seem they are already sitting in a shade somewhere on a southern island. But the fact is Kanako and Mao are sitting in their campus and chatting on LINE. See comments posted by Nobu and Akiko below the photo. In a live interview on TV one of them said Team Japan skaters have their account on LINE and their group name is 'Soch'. https://twitter.com/Canyanpy1107/sta...25168147398656

vCash
    rosewood thank you for your effort, did u search in japanese ?

yeah so i follow your lead and google Chukyo, so here it is
    they have 2 campus the one in Nagoya and Toyota city

for undergraduate school they have
    School of Health and Sport Sciences, that consist of some department such as

Department of Sport and Physical Education (mao major )

Department of Sport Science ( kanako major )

so that mean her sister already graduate too right? since she busy being sport reporter now

vCash

To be a coach is my dream. All of my experiences will help me in coaching skaters.

This interview was done a day after the press conference. She talked a bit about her school life. I love this video since she smiles a lot in it. She looks more relaxed after the announcement of taking a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7XbOKPuYc

0:33
    Narration: First of all, let's ask her about the decision she announced yesterday.
    -When did you decide?
    MA: A few weeks ago.
    -Are you relieved by announcing it?
    MA: Yes. I had conflicts inside of me before I decide. I feel great now by announcing my decision.

Narration: She says that messages from her fans touched her heart. (Showing the video of the fan friendly time after finale in Prince Ice World which was held recently.)
    MA: There were some fans who said "I wish you take a break.", and some said "You can continue." I heard various messages from lots of fans. They gave me power. The thought that I can compete more sprang up inside of me as well.

-What made you decide to take a break at last.
    MA: If I participate in competitions in the next season, I need to start training right now. I asked myself that I can continue training one more season, and the answer was "no". So I decided to take a break first of all. I don't see any idea of my future at this point.
    MA: I did my best till Sochi Olympics aiming at making this Olympic season as my culmination of my career. I truly feel i did it all. And I have no idea at this point even if i ask myself what I want to do in the next season.

-And your feelings at this point is..... hehehe(expecting the answer "half-half.")
    MA: hahaha (The possibilities of coming back is) "half-half" :

Narration: The possibilities of her coming back is 50-50. By the way the term "half-half" has become very popular so far.
    -Now "half-half" is a word in fashion. Do you feel so?
    MA: Yes, I feel a bit. hahaha
    -Buzzwords-of-the-year contest will be held in the end of every year. Do you think "half-half" will be awarded?
    MA: Ahhh..As for myself, I'm addicted to it.
    -
    MA: I use the word in my private life. For example I use it in a restaurant.
    -Please tell us further.
    MA: When I order pickles in a Japanese restaurant, they ask me "Do you like vegetables well-pickled or lightly-pickled?" ......Then I answered "half-half, please."
    - Didn't the waiter surprised?
    MA: Just laught.
    -You killing it.
    MA:

Narration: She'll skate in her ice show 'The Ice' in July. This is the eighth year for The Ice to be held. She's showed performances which is different from her competitive programs, she even showed pair numbers.
    -What kind of performances do you want to show this time?
    MA: In ice shows we can enjoy numbers which are fee from rules. We can skate more freely. I'd like to build up good numbers talking with choreographers to show something new and wonderful.

Narration: By taking a break her new life is starting from now.
    -What is your major and what classes do you take in your university.
    MA: I studies in Department of Physical Education in Faculty of Physical Education. I take classes such as psychology, sports history, and Russian.
    -Why Russian?
    MA: That's because I visited Russia many times, my coach was Russian and also the Olympic was held in Sochi.
    -You said you takes psychology class.
    MA: When you competing, psychology is helpful. My dream is to be a coach. It will be also helpful when I coach skaters in the future. All of my experiences will help me in coaching skaters.

Narration: We asked her what is her goal in this year
    MA: "Treasure each and every chance." I haven't found my clear goal or what I really want to do in this year. Thinking too much won't lead me anywhere new. Leafing things behind, I'll treasure each and every chance in my daily life. I think it will lead me something nice.
    -Then you decide whether continue or retire in the next year. Do you have any message for yourself who is in a year after.
    MA: Hmmmmm....The time when I decide definitely comes in the next year. "Go ahead aiming at whatever you want."

Well, I want to talk a bit about the word "half-half". She's been under microscope for over a decade. She's been asked the same questions hundred of times every time when something happened around her. Maybe it is her idea to repeat exactly the same answer because if she says something a micro mm different from what she said earlier, she'll be asked the same questions by interviewers a hundred times more. So in this way 'half-half' has been repeated by her. She said she used the word 'half-half' instead of 'fifty-fifty' because she thought 'half' is more familiar word than 'fifty' for Japanese people. Thus not only team Japan skaters but also public people are a bit addicted to using the word 'half-half' She once said Mr Sato had been under microscope after he started coaching Mao. Sometimes interviewers/paparazzi disturbed his job. And Mao felt very sorry for him. After finishing Worlds Mr Sato appeared in a documentary show on TV and in it Mao appreciated everything he did for her, not only coaching but also supporting her under big pressure/buzz together with her. Listening her words in the documentary show Mr Sato dropped big tears from his eyes. If time allows, I want to translate that video and post somewhere on FSU. Mao seems breathing a bit freely taking her break. It's good for her in anyways!

vCash
    Mao has done pair numbers?

Thank you for another great translation, rosewood. It sounds like Mao has made the right decision. I'm so glad her fans recognize her need for a rest.

I didnt know that she wanted to be a coach someday. That is so humble of her - usually young people with her fame and fortune take up more glamorous occupations, if they do anything at all.

Now I think I may start saying half-half myself. I'll probably say half-and-half as it's already a familiar expression.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Mao has done pair numbers?
    It's not actually a pair number. See this number in The Ice 2013(from 6:30). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqiUVK1WvlI#t=6m30s or this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1a...mmentary_sport Every year she does one per a show during 'The Ice' tour.

Thank you for another great translation, rosewood. It sounds like Mao has made the right decision. I'm so glad her fans recognize her need for a rest.

I didnt know that she wanted to be a coach someday. That is so humble of her - usually young people with her fame and fortune take up more glamorous occupations, if they do anything at all.
    She is one of the rare cases that such a big star handles his/her popularity so well. I think she along with Asada family is very thoughtful. She's a skater from Aichi where many good skaters are from, such as Midori, Miki, and Akiko. It looks for me that she always loves to stay as 'a local person'. It might be a wise way for her to have a happy life as a real person. She's already a millionaire, one of the most popular person in the country and appeared on many shows on TV. With all fame, she still looks to be a person of a pure heart. I guess many people wish "Don't try to be a TV character, actress, or a singer, Mao-chan!" Actually some of public people said something like that recently. She loves skating so it must be natural for her to wish to support this sport after her retirement. Aside from Mao, all of Daisuke, Akiko(she also wants to be a choreographer), Nobu(he already started coaching under her mother) and Miki want to be a coach sooner or later.(Machida said he wants to be a choreographer.)

Now I think I may start saying half-half myself. I'll probably say half-and-half as it's already a familiar expression.

vCash
    Great interview from sweet Mao, thanks for the translation!

vCash
    rosewood thanks again for your effort to translate, it must be nice to know Japanese so u can instantly understand what moa said.

yeah from interview and so many clip of mao, i get a feeling that she down to earth kind of people, especially when she appear wearing simple make up or clothe not even bother to doll up her appearance kekeke such a tomboy

" Actually some of public people said something like that recently"

can u give more elaborate story please, like who are they, are there any indication that mao might be want to be celebrity.

what are your favorite mao tv program?
    cause so may of her video got deleted from youtube arggggakjdf espessially the variety show and almost none of them got subbed akdjkjior
    if u guys got or know any mao video please share

one of may favorit is when team japan doing some weird ping pong game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkDI...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynq5y...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7om...layer_embedded

even tho they dont have sub this awesome blogger translate everything in the video
    http://kuuchuu-sampo.blogspot.com/20...1-english.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bebecebubu View Post
    what are your favorite mao tv program?
    if u guys got or know any mao video please share
    Welcome to FSU, bebecebubu! I've re-posted what you wrote above in the Asada CHEER thread in the Trash Can where "fluff" and fun information about Mao is posted, usually by rosewood!
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...60#post4269060

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    This interview was done a day after the press conference. She talked a bit about her school life. I love this video since she smiles a lot in it. She looks more relaxed after the announcement of taking a break.
    Thanks again for taking the time to keep us updated on all things Mao!

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    She once said Mr Sato had been under microscope after he started coaching Mao. Sometimes interviewers/paparazzi disturbed his job. And Mao felt very sorry for him. After finishing Worlds Mr Sato appeared in a documentary show on TV and in it Mao appreciated everything he did for her, not only coaching but also supporting her under big pressure/buzz together with her. Listening her words in the documentary show Mr Sato dropped big tears from his eyes. If time allows, I want to translate that video and post somewhere on FSU. Mao seems breathing a bit freely taking her break. It's good for her in anyways!
    Please do this if/when you have time! (Feel free to start a new thread in GSD for Mr. Sato's interview.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-25-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bebecebubu View Post
    rosewood
    entire post
    I answered on the Mao cheer thread in Trash Can. Please see my post there!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ETA:

Please do this if/when you have time! (Feel free to start a new thread in GSD for Mr. Sato's interview.)
    The video is rather long one so I'm still hesitating to start. I think I'll post my translation on the Mao cheer thread in TC when I finished.

As for her dream,I post here one more vid in which Mao said her dream is to be a coach in the future. She was interviewed a day after the press conference by reporters/casters from a few more TV stations aside from the two I translated above, and also interviewed on a live radio show on the same day. This video is a part of the radio show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCc4nvYLiM When she was asked about her dream in the future(well, she has to answer the same question again and again and again...) she answered that her dream is to be a coach in the future. She's motivated to teach little kids when she sees little adorable kids are doing their best on ice. Sounds she loves kids so much and wants to have classes for them. But maybe she doesn't have any concrete idea at this point in anyways.
    Last edited by rosewood; 05-26-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123