Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Mao Asada will not compete in 2014-15 season

Re-posting from the Japan news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Asada will headline 'The Ice' tour, July 19-27 - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...a-(July-19-27)

Is she scheduled to perform in any other shows before or after The Ice?

ETA that Asada is scheduled to perform in Denis Ten's shows in Kazakhstan, May 29-June 1: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...en-amp-Friends

AFP has published an article referencing the Japanese article: Asada to sit out figure skating competitions next year: report
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-19-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Understandable

vCash
    Not unexpected.
    I will enjoy whatever performances she does.

Should she choose to compete again, I will look forward to that.

vCash
    Sorry I don't have time to translate the article right now but she's going to announce that she takes one season break in the press conference today. I'll post later. I think she'll not participate in any competition in the next season but skates in shows. In the press conference it is supposed that she'll talk about this year's The Ice tour as well.

She repeatedly said "I'm satisfied with the long program in Olympics and both programs in Worlds""I did all out both in practices and in competitions""I really felt I made it" so it's understandable she takes a break or even retires. To me it seems she's exhausted so she doesn't have any motivation to start anything, neither compete in the next season or retire from competitions and makes a new start in her second life. It may be a good choice to take one year rest. According to tweets by students in her university she studies in school almost every day these days. Wish she enjoys her life as an ordinal univ student in her hometown.

vCash
    The first season without Mao since....2002?

vCash
    She will be so missed! She's a gift to skating. But she's been in the scene for a long time and deserves a break
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash

Mao takes one season break; Press conference today.

Nikkan Sports article published on May 19th
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...5-nksports-spo

(my rough translation-sorry for my bad English)
    On May 18th it was revealed that Mao Asada(23, Chukyo University) has a plan to take one season break.

She's been considering her future since she won her third title at figure skating World Championships, while she's skated in ice shows. Eyes were on her decision on her future plan since finishing the season which she wished to be the culmination of her career. It's supposed that on May 19th she'll announce her own statement when she appears in the press conference for The Ice.

She'll refresh her mind and body in the next season which starts on July 1st.

After winning her third Worlds title and taking back her position as Queen she mentioned "My body says OK, while the last one I have to hear the answer from is my mind." It seems that she's been considering her future skating in ice shows but two months were not enough to make a decision. She continues to listen to her mind till it tells a clear answer, "retire" or "continue".

vCash
    Not surprised. She's been skating non-stop since forever. I'm sure she wants to take a little bit of a rest now.

vCash
    She needs a break. I hope she comes back rejuvenated the following season.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Totally understand. But still
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Not surprised. She's been skating non-stop since forever. I'm sure she wants to take a little bit of a rest now.
    This! She's a complete workaholic and it is amazing to me that she has had no really serious injury other than her recent back issues. She has earned this break and and then some, so I hope the press leave her alone to enjoy some downtime.

vCash

vCash
    It often start like this. A skater planning to take one season off but then very rarely returns to competition. I will miss her!

vCash

Mao Asada: "One season for consideration"-Announcement on taking a break -Q&A

Asahi Shinbun article published on May 19th
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000047-mai-spo

(my rough translation)
    On May 19th Mao Asada(23, Chukyo University) who is a silver medalist at Vancouver Olympics in 2010 and a three-time Worlds Champion announced in a press conference that she'll not participate in any competition in the next season to take a break.

-About your future?
    MA: I've considered various things and I decided to take a rest for my body and mind.

--And the reason is?
    MA: I've done my best aiming at Sochi Olympics all through the years since finishing Vancouver Olympics. I feel at this point that I've done all out. Honestly speaking I don't have confidence that I can continue. First af all I want to take one year break and consider what my next goal is, or how Il approach it.

-You don't participate in any competition in the next season?
    MA: I'm going to take a rest physically and mentally. If I participate in a competition in the next season, I need to start preparing for it from now. To take an enough rest, i'll not participate in any competition in the next season at all.

-Any possibilities to come back after the rest?
    MA: I don't have any idea at this point. I think it suits my feelings to let me go with the flow. I take one season rest and then it's still 'half-half' on whether I'll come back or not.

-What do you want to do during the break?
    MA: Any idea doesn't come to my mind right now. I just feel that my Olympic season has finished. I'm doing things in front of me at this point.

-What do you feel after announcing your break?
    MA: I feel it's very new for me to take a rest, since I've participated competitions in every season since I started the life as a skater.

ETA:
    -(You don't skate as frequently as before.) Do you feel unease?
    MA: No.

-So you're looking forward to the rest?
    MA: well, yes. Ah, maybe I'd better say I don't know. I haven't experienced my life without competitions. I suppose I have things to do everyday. I'll do my best working on them.

-Do you imagine yourself skating in the next Olympics inside of your mind?
    MA: No.

-You take a rest for what?
    MA: I don't know whether I'll come back or not. Anyway I feel at this point that I can't continue in the next season. I want to take enough rest. After that I may feel I want to compete again, or may feel I've did everything and I'm satisfied with it. I don't know how I feel after the rest at this point.

-What made you decide to take a rest and not retire.
    MA: After finishing this season I felt I did it. However, I don't feel I'll retire right now. That's my honest feelings at this point. Both of my mind and body are very tired. I want to take a rest anyway.

-What is the percentages of your comeback?
    MA: Half-half.

-What are the things you have to do during your rest?
    MA: I started studying back in school. I'll mainly study in my daily life. I'll skate too.

-Your decision was made earlier than expected. Why?
    MA: After finishing the season, sometimes I felt I can continue, and sometimes I felt I can't. The Ice is coming soon so I kept training as usual. I've been doing the very best I could do everyday all through the years, without taking a break. When I asked myself that I can continue the same life for one more quad, the answer was no. I felt I need a rest. I also felt I need change of air. That's why I decided to take one season rest.

-What did your older sister Mai say?
    MA: She said nothing when I told her that I take one season rest.

-I suppose you took your fans into consideration when you made up your mind. What message do you want to tell your fans?
    MA: I was very happy to be supported by many people. It gave me power. Although I don't participate in competitions in the next season, I skate in shows. I'll be very happy if my fans come to shows and see me live.

-What does a rest mean after you're grown up?
    MA: When I was little, I could skate 365 days a year. I did my best since I wanted beat my rival who was my sister Mai. After my debut in the senior field I felt big pressure in the competitions. And I felt the burden was piling up. My mind and body were very tired. I felt I need a rest.

This is the video of the whole press conference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUncU1BrFw
    Last edited by rosewood; 05-19-2014 at 01:47 PM.

vCash
    thank you for translation. I'm happy for her she decided to take a rest and let it go. Her body need some time to regenerate. Than I really hope to see her compete again. But I'm happy to see her in shows, so we wont be without skating from her.
    This year will be really strange. New skaters take over, but the artistry of the older ones will be at shows to enjoy until the younger develops

vCash
    All the best for Mao, whatever she decides after resting this season. She has given so many great skating memories to me and many others.

vCash
    Mao surely deserves a break. IMO She is the Gold standard in Ladies figure skating.
    In one interview before the start of this season she was asked what her plans will be after Sochi and
    she said she would like to take a long vacation to some place like Bali where no one knows her
    and just relax. Now she will have the time to do just that. Good luck to Mao, I will miss her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    It often start like this. A skater planning to take one season off but then very rarely returns to competition. I will miss her!
    Yes. I don't think she is going to return to competitive skating.

vCash
    A well deserved rest that she certainly earned.

vCash
    Good for her. The kid needs a break.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast