Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Also, just a thought: what if the freestyle is about the "journey" that Meryl likes to talk about. Maybe have it start with her and Charlie very briefly and then Maks comes in and they go from there. He said to another reporter that the freestyle will be "stripped down" so I'm thinking no props or anything insane. I have a feeling it's going to be AMAZING.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trocoloca View Post
    Also, just a thought: what if the freestyle is about the "journey" that Meryl likes to talk about. Maybe have it start with her and Charlie very briefly and then Maks comes in and they go from there. He said to another reporter that the freestyle will be "stripped down" so I'm thinking no props or anything insane. I have a feeling it's going to be AMAZING.
    That would be really cool!

vCash
    I LOVE that idea!!!

vCash
    Ummm I LOVE this idea. Please DWTS gods let this happen!

vCash
    I am trying to keep my expectations in check, but I am so excited about the AT and the stripped down free style. If Charlie is a part of it--I don't even want to hope.

girlscouse62
    , such a lovely message, thank you! I'm enjoying watching the videos of Tessa and Scott from SOIC. They are absolutely gorgeous.

vCash
    Sheherazade please !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Sheherazade please !
    Can you even imagine? I think I would be hurt on Charlie's behalf, but Maks in the role would be EPIC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Sheherazade please !
    I don't think classical music will be on the show for this season.

And I also don't think it's a good idea.

vCash
    I think Cgarlie might helped teach Max particular lift that he and Meryl do, so that Meryl Doesn't have to learn something new.

Definitely think the stripped Down means the two of them dancing using Meryl's great lines and their chemistry. Productions can backfire -Shawn Johnson lost the mirror ball trophy in the All-Stars season because Derek had the OGM two men's gymnastics team be a part of her freestyle.

vCash
    Scheherazade is off limits! But I'd love to see their lifts incorporated into the freestyle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    "Stripped down" is good. Everybody was worried that it was going to be some huge production with lots of dancers from the troupe, which would just detract from the two of them.

The first clue it was ridiculous is that it was an anonymous person claiming to be a high-level DWTS employee who felt the need to post this shocking expose...to one of the silliest gossip boards out there. Anything that comes from a source like that should probably be ignored. The second is that there was this long list of claims that were so far-fetched and did not jibe with reality at all. If the producers were so intent on sabotaging Charlie from the beginning and getting him off the show ASAP, why did they even ask him to be on the show? And why would they still insist on getting him off the show if he was proving to be incredibly popular? And the judges "nitpicking" Charlie would not have convinced the audience to go from him being their favorite to them voting him off the show.

I think it's been mentioned above that one of the *real* producers of DWTS wrote a book that described in detail what goes on behind the scenes, and how things are and are not manipulated. The ABC Standards and Practices Department oversees every single decision made on the show to make sure that there is nothing that could be construed as a pattern of unfairness towards any contestant. They take it very seriously. A good example was how they oversaw Pamela Anderson's costumes. They wanted to make sure she was reasonably covered up so that she could neither play up the sexpot image for votes, nor suffer a backlash from voters for being too oversexed, so every single week they worked with her to make sure her costumes were the same as everybody else's.

We all know there are producers steering the ship, but I do not cynically say, "It's all rigged and I'll believe any anonymous person who claims it is." The source I believe is Charlie, who said he felt he was treated fairly and was given a fair chance to win.
    As the person who posted the original gossip on Goldenskate, I emphasized that the information should be treated with a grain of salt. I did not mean to report the information as if it was from a verified source. I was simply making a comment about something I observed online, and did not mean to offend/upset anyone or derail the thread.

I am glad that Charlie feels he was treated well on the show. Conspiracy theories aside, I felt as though he had a strong start, but endured harsher and harsher criticism from the judges as the show progressed. Len is probably the most respected judge at the table, and he was especially critical of Charlie. That could have contributed to fewer Facebook likes, Bing searches, etc, and could have made voters who were on the fence about Charlie decide to cast their votes for James or Candace instead. (That being said, according to Dialidol, he lead in phone votes the first week, and was only behind Amy and Candace in phone voting for the rest of his tenure on the show). As someone who is not particularly active on Facebook, it would be interesting to see if Charlie's Facebook likes decreased as the show went on. It seems like he may have had the phone votes, but lacked the online buzz to push him to the finals.

It is unfortunate that angles/narratives > great dancing in reality TV land.
    Last edited by MichelleSpiral; 05-16-2014 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniwren12 View Post
    Scheherazade is off limits! But I'd love to see their lifts incorporated into the freestyle.
    I agree but I don't think for a second Meryl would entertain the idea of using that piece for DWTS. These are two separate journies, and I think she respects each one. But I'm so excited to see what she throws at us. I'm sad we won't see her dancing anymore, but I have a feeling she will kick some serious arse Monday dancing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmary View Post
    I don't think classical music will be on the show for this season.

And I also don't think it's a good idea.
    Classical music probably won't help the general audience connect with them (besides, DWTS pretty much never uses classical music, or much instrumental music for that matter), so as much as I like Sheherazade, I don't want that to be their freestyle music.

It's definitely true that having too much production can backfire, especially when it starts taking the focus away from the couple. I like the idea of stripped down.

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitties View Post
    I've really enjoyed reading all the DWTS analysis and speculation here, but it's a dizzying amount of content. So I've been content to lurk and enjoy all the bonus M/C time we've gotten this year.
    I have had a hard time keeping up with the breakneck pace of these threads but have enjoyed reading everything, especially with so many posts from people familiar with DWTS culture and ballroom dancing in general. What will fill the gap after DWTS next week?

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSpiral View Post
    I am glad that Charlie feels he was treated well on the show. Conspiracy theories aside, I felt as though he had a strong start, but endured harsher and harsher criticism from the judges as the show progressed. Len is probably the most respected judge at the table, and he was especially critical of Charlie. That could have contributed to fewer Facebook likes, Bing searches, etc, and could have made voters who were on the fence about Charlie decide to cast their votes for James or Candace instead. As someone who is not particularly active on Facebook, it would be interesting to see if Charlie's Facebook likes decreased as the show went on.

It is unfortunate that angles/narratives > great dancing in reality TV land.
    I am still perplexed by the higher standard the judges seemed to be holding Charlie to. There is no question that he delivered some of the highest-calibre celeb dance content on the show. And was unflappably charming in the process! It's nice that Candace has improved some since the beginning of the show (yes, DWTS, I get it! She has an arc and is likable), but I feel robbed that we have to lose out on more Charlie time as a result.

As for James, he leaves me cold as a dancer, though I do agree he has charisma. My two sons (10 and 8 y.o.) both love 'Big Time Rush,' the show, re-watching the episodes again and again. (In case it hasn't been noted, the show is very similar to 'The Monkees' back in the late 60s−totally goofball and slapsticky−the kind of thing that especially boys love.) My older son also attended a BTR concert along with a friend. Here, I can add my 2 cents' worth on James' seemingly inexplicable popularity. The mother of my son's friend reported that BTR in concert (and they did a national tour) covered lots of Beatles songs and other parent-pleasing content in addition to their signature boy-band-style songs. So I think James is not only popular with tween and teen girls, but with the parents of both boys and girls who are fans. (I really doubt that the boys vote. My sons have exhibited ZERO interest in James' budding dance career. )

I know someone wrote earlier that James is big in South America (??). If so, he really has quite a few bases covered, making for pretty wide resonance. Still, I just can't imagine him beating Amy, whose appeal, I think, transcends a particular interest group (figure skating fans, tween boy bands ubers, Nickelodeon watchers and their parental units, people with conservative values, lovers of 'Full House,' women obsessed with Derek ...). So I think Amy is the biggest threat to an M/M victory, especially considering her dancing is generally well liked and Derek is apparently a god among men. My hope is that the majority of DWTS watchers vote based on the DANCING. Because I think that could translate into a M/M victory!

(I know it's only a dumb mirror ball. I just want Meryl to rule the world, is all ... )
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina View Post
    (I know it's only a dumb mirror ball. I just want Meryl to rule the world, is all ... )
    Don't we all?

vCash
    Now that I think about it, I actually think the producers may have had the judges be harder on Charlie for a reason. Charlie's a sweet guy and a good dancer. I think Charlie has gotten the most viewer buzz when he's been drastically underscored or harshly criticized. He doesn't have the type of personality where anyone wants to seem him treated meanly. He went home a week after he got a perfect score and other people were in jeopardy. The people who were voting for him might have felt less motivated.

vCash
    Yes, and Maks gives her back to Charlie at the end, and they finish with a spectacular extended lift.

(God, I'm such a fangirl.)

vCash
    How will voting work for the finale? I'm assuming on-line cutoff times will be different? Will Tuesday dances factor into the scoring/voting?
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina View Post
    I am still perplexed by the higher standard the judges seemed to be holding Charlie to. There is no question that he delivered some of the highest-calibre celeb dance content on the show. And was unflappably charming in the process! It's nice that Candace has improved some since the beginning of the show (yes, DWTS, I get it! She has an arc and is likable), but I feel robbed that we have to lose out on more Charlie time as a result.
    As a long time watcher of DWTS, I can tell you the reason why Charlie was being held to a higher standard by the judges is because 1) Charlie came out very strong in week 1 with Contemporary because of that judges had a very high level expectations for him from the get-go and that was also the first-time a male celeb has ever received 9's from all 3 judges in the first week so they were expecting him to blow them & the viewers at home week after week, 2) he is a male ringer and through out the history of the show male ringers of Charlies caliber such as Corbin Bleu, Lance Bass...etc, are either nitpicked to death by the judges or have always had a much harder time and have never won the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
    How will voting work for the finale? I'm assuming on-line cutoff times will be different? Will Tuesday dances factor into the scoring/voting?
    The public votes Monday night for who they want 2 win, and yes Tuesday's dances do figure into the scoring they always have so watch any of the past season finals if you wanna see how that works.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast