Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSpiral View Post
    I had never heard of Facebookology before this season, but I read Kristyn's blog, and yes, she does deserve a lot of credit for being accurate. I know that Dialidol has predicted the American Idol winner correctly every season, but wasn't sure about its accuracy for other shows.

Glad that the TPTB have the good sense to give Charlie 2 featured dances on finale night. If Meryl's freestyle isn't contemporary-esque, it would be interesting to see her dance contemporary with Charlie.
    I would think that Meryl and Charlie would do contemporary even if they have a contemporary-esque freestyle ... it's pretty difficult to learn a ballroom dance with perfected technique in a week especially if both of them aren't professional ballroom dancers, and Meryl has so, so many dances to do on Monday and Tuesday. Contemporary can be pretty lift-heavy, so Meryl and Charlie could pull a good one together pretty well and most importantly, more quickly since they're so used to partnering and doing great lifts

Also, DialIdol is not accurate for DWTS - it was developed to predict American Idol, and from what I've heard it's good at it (I've never watched American Idol though). Some reasons: there are a limited # of phone votes for DWTS allowed per device, it doesn't take into account online votes (so all those international fan, abc.com, and facebook votes), and the site gives itself a very large net of "safety margin". I would give more credit to facebook-ology and even Bing than DialIdol.
    Last edited by dancer4life; 05-17-2014 at 03:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    IDK but "stripped down" rules out Bollywood, I think. Also it's supposed to focus on them and their journey on DWTS so I figure it's got to be somewhat contemporaryish. I'm expecting something like their rumba and foxtrot but with lifts?

And wow at the caption on that Instagram. Their schedule is just awful.
    Stripped down I believe refers to the production levels, or at least that is what Derek meant when he used the term. Any dance could be done with less production. With that said I doubt he would do that style. To me it doesn't seem like it would capitalize on their connection and it would require a lot of time to learn basic technique, since it's so far from what they've done.

vCash
    I get the sense that Maks has been sort of testing water for their free style for the last couple of weeks. The week 7, M&M did "production" kind of salsa. Though CAI, Ricky Martin, and Bruno praised that dance, Len referred it as a bit too heck tick and distracted from the phenomenal dance ability of Meryl. I tend to agree with him.

On week 8th, their Rumba was infused with considerable flavor of contemporary, but more importantly, Maks put his story telling passion to the fore, "Street Car Named Desire." Meryl was on-board with Maks' approach even though that dance did not receive the highest score.

On week 9, their VW continued with story-telling, i.e., "Giant." This time it was better received, for Maks stayed within the parameter of VW style without compromising his passion (story telling).

Up until this point, Meryl referred their Rumba as her most favorite dance. On the Red Carpet interview, http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/video?id=9538320 , Maks mentioned that their free style to be “stripped down,” and pay homage to their journey together. My guess is that they will tell their story with the emphasis on their connection. They will play up to their strengths – minimum production in order to highlight their dance-ability, beautiful lines and extensions, and off-the-chart chemistry.

If I stick my neck out there, this would be an expansion of their Rumba, but perhaps fusion not only of contemporary and rumba, but also add various other ball room and Latin styles that they had already danced together (so that Meryl doesn’t have to learn another style of dance yet can still create interesting effects) . I have also heard that freestyle is about showcasing their strengths.

Since I’ve heard that Maks is a traditionalist and/or purist, I am wondering fusion of all those styles might be something he hadn’t necessarily actively pursued in the past.

Of course, I could be completely missing the mark. In any case, I am very much looking forward to watching their freestyle.
    Ok, now onto packing my bag.

P.S.: I'm guessing that Charlie is helping Maks with various lifts in order to add "wow" factor that is presumably necessary for a standout free style, yet not so much as to distract from highlighting their connection.
    Last edited by mineko; 05-17-2014 at 05:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    I get the sense that Maks has been sort of testing water for their free style for the last couple of weeks. The week 7, M&M did "production" kind of salsa. Though CAI, Ricky Martin, and Bruno praised that dance, Len referred it as a bit too heck tick and distracted from the phenomenal dance ability of Meryl. I tend to agree with him.

On week 8th, their Rumba was infused with considerable flavor of contemporary, but more importantly, Maks put his story telling passion to the fore, "Street Car Named Desire." Meryl was on-board with Maks' approach even though that dance did not receive the highest score.

On week 9, their VW continued with story-telling, i.e., "Giant." This time it was better received, for Maks stayed within the parameter of VW style without compromising his passion (story telling).

Up until this point, Meryl referred their Rumba as her most favorite dance. On the Red Carpet interview, http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/video?id=9538320 , Maks mentioned that their free style to be “stripped down,” and pay homage to their journey together. My guess is that they will tell their story with the emphasis on their connection. They will play up to their strengths – minimum production in order to highlight their dance-ability, beautiful lines and extensions, and off-the-chart chemistry.

If I stick my neck out there, this would be an expansion of their Rumba, but perhaps fusion not only of contemporary and rumba, but also add various other ball room and Latin styles that they had already danced together (so that Meryl doesn’t have to learn another style of dance yet can still create interesting effects) . I have also heard that freestyle is about showcasing their strengths.

Since I’ve heard that Maks is a traditionalist and/or purist, I am wondering fusion of all those styles might be something he hadn’t necessarily actively pursued in the past.

Of course, I could be completely missing the mark. In any case, I am very much looking forward to watching their freestyle.
    I agree with all of this. I think it will very likely be story-driven and focused on their chemistry, a fusion of their waltz and rumba. Whatever they do, if Meryl is excited about it, so am I.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniwren12 View Post
    I agree with all of this. I think it will very likely be story-driven and focused on their chemistry, a fusion of their waltz and rumba. Whatever they do, if Meryl is excited about it, so am I.
    ITA

vCash
    I don't think Bollywood is really an option. The only people that would get it is us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    I don't think Bollywood is really an option. The only people that would get it is us.
    I tend to agree with you, too. If anything at all, Bollywood might be an option Meryl and Charlie might pursue for their own dance on Tuesday. I know M/C has used portion of their Bollywood program as an encore on many occasions. So I assume that they are still very familiar with that dance. Tossing some interesting lifts, Bollywood could create "wow" factor for their dance.

but again, I am speculating.

vCash
    I'm guessing Charlie's and Meryl will foxtrot together unless it's contemporary, it's slow enought not to stress them, easier choreo and both have done the dance.

I m fine with stripped own, but I hope Maks is thinking about the lighting, that's where Derek completely excels, in the production side, Maybe Val will help Maks in this.

vCash

I do agree with this about Maks kinda testing the waters with their Rumba and Viennese Waltz. Their salsa was literally an homage to the Wisin, Ricky Martin & J.Lo music video of Adrenalina, the style of the dance, set-up, & everything down to Meryl's costume was practically an echo of that music video.

P.S.: I'm guessing that Charlie is helping Maks with various lifts in order to add "wow" factor that is presumably necessary for a standout free style, yet not so much as to distract from highlighting their connection.
    In past freestyles Maks has fused in either some ballroom/latin dances and it hasn't gotten great reception from either the judges or viewers like with Mel B and Kirstie's freestyles. I feel whatever he's gonna give Meryl it's gonna show off her lines, extension, and her other strengths while telling the story of their partnership and showing their emotional connection & chemistry. Remember it's gonna be completely stripped down & it's also something he's never really done, so I don't necessarily expect to see any Ballroom/Latin in it, so whatever Maks has planned for Meryl, he's gonna be taking a huge risk and with great risk comes great reward. Unlike with Erin, this time Maks has the best partner in Meryl to take that huge risk with for the freestyle. I do expect Charlie is helping with lifts along with Tony as well (Tony is the best pro when it comes to lifts and he'll know what will get that "wow" factor for in the ballroom & on tv).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    Also, they haven't danced it (on ice) in years and I remember them saying way back when how difficult and time consuming it was to learn the rhythms and movements. And they'd have to work out dance steps for it as well.

I have to say whether for Monday's freestyle or in the future, I'd love to see M&M dance to my other favorite Sam Smith song: Money on my Mind.

vCash
    One thing I am certain of: M&M will not dance around and/or incorporate furniture a la Derek.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladashwood View Post
    In past freestyles Maks has fused in either some ballroom/latin dances and it hasn't gotten great reception from either the judges or viewers like with Mel B and Kirstie's freestyles. I feel whatever he's gonna give Meryl it's gonna show off her lines, extension, and her other strengths while telling the story of their partnership and showing their emotional connection & chemistry. Remember it's gonna be completely stripped down & it's also something he's never really done, so I don't necessarily expect to see any Ballroom/Latin in it, so whatever Maks has planned for Meryl, he's gonna be taking a huge risk and with great risk comes great reward. Unlike with Erin, this time Maks has the best partner in Meryl to take that huge risk with for the freestyle. I do expect Charlie is helping with lifts along with Tony as well (Tony is the best pro when it comes to lifts and he'll know what will get that "wow" factor for in the ballroom & on tv).
    Thank you, I didn't know that. In any case, when Maks said, "Meryl is a perfect partner," I think he found a dancer who has an incredible emotional range (which many of us skating fans was hitherto unaware of), who respects/agrees with his passion for story-telling, and who has ability to execute both technically (dance-wise) and emotionally (performance-wise). Besides she has ability to work around his "temper".

I presume those are rare combination. I have no idea whether they are personally involved or not. However, I dearly wish that they find ways to collaborate in the future - I found their performance truly captivating.

vCash
    One thing I am certain of: M&M will not dance around and/or incorporate furniture a la Derek.
    Well, tbf his freestyle with Erin did have a sofa *and* a bed.

vCash
    Well, tbf his freestyle with Erin did have a sofa *and* a bed.
    Ok, my bad. But then, that freestyle was considered to be a "disaster" by many, let's hope that Maks learned his lesson.

I still insist no furniture!

vCash
    Ok, my bad. But then, that freestyle was considered to be a "disaster" by many, let's hope that Maks learned his lesson.

I still insist no furniture!
    I loved their rumba and technically that dance incorporated an entire dining room set .

vCash
    And M&M's rumba kind of had a dinner table :p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I loved their rumba and technically that dance incorporated an entire dining room set .
    Ok, ok, don't forget a "pendant: from the ceiling, too.

Shoot! I stand corrected.

vCash
    Hi, I'm new here, a big m&m fan.I've enjoyed reading the posts and am planning to give them all my votes on Monday night.whatever dance they do,I really hope it ends with them in an embrace,I feel like many of their dances have ended with them walking away from each other. Monday night can't come fast enough!

vCash
    Welcome stirpy33! Never thought about it but you are right. They often end walking away from one another, so it would be nice if they come together at the end of their free dance and embrace!

Just an early reminder to everyone -- online voting for this Monday's finals ends early on Tuesday the next morning, 11AM EST (8AM PST). So if you plan to vote, you won't have until the next evening as in previous weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trocoloca View Post
    What kind of style hasn't Maks danced?
    Yeah, I'm kind of confused as to what they could possibly be doing that is unlike anything Maks has ever done...
    Maybe a kind of adagio, with LOTS of lifts? But I don't know....adagio seems to stay in one place on the floor and to be mostly about the big, athletic tricks, with no room for chemistry or story-telling.....

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast