Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    Afterlife
    vCash

Davis & White #30: Mirrorball Madness

I know we're all DWTS crazy, but has anyone seen any of the recent SOI shows? I feel like I might have missed something in all the madness. See what I did there?
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    at the thread title -- this was my favorite of the suggestions

It's easy to tell that the Finals are next week as the Anti-Meryl/Maks rhetoric from Derek's Douchebags has been ratcheted up to a new level.

Question for those who watch DWTS regularly: Is this amount of venom from the Pure Freaks towards them typical at this point of the competition, or is it greater because they perceive Meryl as a major threat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    at the thread title -- this was my favorite of the suggestions

It's easy to tell that the Finals are next week as the Anti-Meryl/Maks rhetoric from Derek's Douchebags has been ratcheted up to a new level.

Question for those who watch DWTS regularly: Is this amount of venom from the Pure Freaks towards them typical at this point of the competition, or is it greater because they perceive Meryl as a major threat?
    I watch nearly every season, never really on message boards a lot though. But I haven't seen this much hate. A lot has to do, I think, with them perceiving Meryl as a threat. Also they can't deal with Maks getting more love than their precious Derek. They basically discount every win unless it's Derek. A double standard is always set up--when people complain about not wanting Amy to win because Derek wins all the time, they say judge a celeb, not the pro. Yet they preach Maks hate and say Meryl shouldn't win because of Maks. I see a lot of hatred toward Amy and Candace which makes me sad because a lot comes from MM fans and Pure feeds on it. But they won't admit that some hate isn't from MM fans or that each fan base has those that attack and bash. It's okay for those to bash Meryl, but if you comment about Amy or Derek your comment is erased

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSpiral View Post

I think the context is important, though. The same evening that Charlie got perfect/near perfect scores, Abby Lee Miller panned both of Meryl's dances. The core D/W fans thought that Charlie would be okay, and were horrified at a potential early elimination for Meryl. Meryl was saved, but Charlie didn't have enough votes to support his high scores (I personally voted for him 30 times), and went home. In the current post on That Site, a lot of the commenters have said that Charlie is their favorite male celebrity this season, so he did have fans. Had Amy been eliminated, their votes would have gone to him. Unfortunately, unlike James or Candace, Charlie didn't have a fanbase exclusively devoted to him.

As for aftershocks' other points, there is a rumor that the producers did not want Charlie in the final (EMPHASIS: this is a rumor).
    The moderators and the fans on that site are just a very small segment of Derek's large fan base. They are not enough to make a big dent in the voting either way, for any couple. If Amy were eliminated, I think the votes that ordinarily go to her would be split more or less evenly among the rest of the pairs.

I also believe the core figure skating and Marlie fans are too small to make a big dent one way or the other too. For example, if Charlie had been in the competition alone without Meryl, I don't think he would have done much better in terms of votes.

There's a huge segment of the viewers who aren't ordinarily super fans of one pro or the other or one particular star but just vote according to who impresses them the most each season. Charlie just didn't connect with those viewers this season. Maybe another female pro would have been able to draw out more emotion from Charlie. I was surprised to see that Cheryl Burke has MORE twitter followers than even Maks. Charlie might have done better in the fan voting paired with Cheryl because of that huge fan base alone.

As for a "rumor" that the producers didn't want Charlie in the final, that is "Pure" BS. It is just another of their made up rationalizations to make them feel better about how things aren't going their way. Whenever that happens, they stomp their feet like angry little kids, make up stuff left and right, and insult Maks and his partner.

The results are totally driven by the judges' scores and viewer votes. And in Charlie's case, he just wasn't impressing the viewers. The producers had nothing to do with that. Facebook confirms this.
    Last edited by Marlie fan; 05-15-2014 at 01:18 PM.

vCash
    There's also the fact, which has been touched upon, that the audience votes for their favourite pro as much for their favourite celebrity - and there does tend to be a pro-American and anti-East European bias (and let's not pretend that there isn't one). Sharna, while lovely, is only on her third season with the show. By contrast, Peta is in her 6th, and I've lost count for Derek and Maks. I agree that Charlie may have done better with a more seasoned pro like Cheryl.

vCash
    The core D/W fans thought that Charlie would be okay, and were horrified at a potential early elimination for Meryl.
    I think people are way overestimating the size and influence of "core D/W" fans. We all know the size of the figure skating audience these days is tiny, and the number of figure skating fans who are loyal D/W fans is a small percentage of that. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people who are watching and voting on this show.

I think people are also making assumptions about how figure skating fans would/did vote that are unfounded. Just because somebody knew about Meryl & Charlie from the figure skating world does not mean that they were rooting for them equally, or even voting for them both. All of these prognosticators are assuming that Meryl voters have also been voting for Charlie all along, and I don't think that was the case.

As for Pure, they loved Charlie only because they loved to cast him as the victim of evilllll Meryl in whatever way they could. Did they like him enough to vote for him? No. In fact, while they were busy voting their fingers off for Amy, they were crowing about all the stupid Meryl fans who weren't going to do their job and keep Charlie safe with their votes - because somehow it was the moral responsibility of *Meryl* fans to vote for *Charlie*.

Maybe we should get after all the Candace fans for not splitting their votes with Charlie, or the James fans for not throwing a few votes Charlie's way.

vCash
    In my experience it was the Meryl and Maks fans who told the Charlie fans early on that we have to vote Meryl because she was the best dancer. And someone on this site said that real woman love bad boys and Charlie was just a cute puppy Dog. And an SUV(oh it was a mini van he was called). Should I assume all of you acted and believe and behave that way? From what I read most viewers love Charlie. Almost everyone says they love Charlie. Not just the anti Meryl people. He just didn't have their favorite dances and had no story arc.

Though in my case Charlie had my favorite dances (2 Contemporaries, Jive, Jazz, QS and FT) along with M&M Rumba&Foxtrot and Meryl's AT with Val. I don't even remember most of the other contestants dances. I remember their story arcs much more so than the dances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    In my experience it was the Meryl and Maks fans who told the Charlie fans early on that we have to vote Meryl because she was the best dancer. And someone on this site said that real woman love bad boys and Charlie was just a cute puppy Dog. And an SUV(oh it was a mini van he was called). Should I assume all of you acted and believe and behave that way? From what I read most viewers love Charlie. Almost everyone says they love Charlie. Not just the anti Meryl people. He just didn't have their favorite dances and had no story arc.
    Not quite sure what your main point is there.

I have been following the Marlie threads on this forum since Sochi. While I have seen others explain how and why they voted, I really haven't seen people trying to "tell" others who to vote for.

Are you disagreeing with the belief that Charlie just didn't connect with the viewers with his dancing? I don't think anyone believes Charlie wasn't a likable person on the show. I'm sure even those who didn't vote for him liked him. His partnership with Sharna just didn't impress enough for viewers to cast a lot of votes for him.

vCash
    I don't think there is really someone/some group to blame. He made it to the semifinals so it's not bad anyway. I know that many my friends who are figureskating fans voted only for Charlie, because they don't like it how the Ukrainian Bachelor is so handsy with their ice princess and she doesn't seem to mind at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladida View Post
    I don't think there is really someone/some group to blame. He made it to the semifinals so it's not bad anyway. I know that many my friends who are figureskating fans voted only for Charlie, because they don't like it how the Ukrainian Bachelor is so handsy with their ice princess and she doesn't seem to mind at all.
    What is it that bothers them more -- that Maks is so "handsy" (how dare he!) or that Meryl doesn't seem to mind it at all (the shameless hussy!)?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I would probably go with hashtag jealous single ladies, but I don't want to go to the figure skating competitions alone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I think it's a myth you have to cross boundaries to have chemistry. Derek had good chemistry with Kellie, IMO, and there was zero showmance aspect. Even Zendaya had a sweet playful chemistry with Val and he was super respectful and above board with her age.

ETA: Chemistry isn't a about a specific feeling it's about connection and we already know this is something Charlie struggles with. It takes him most if the season to let go and connect with Meryl, so it seems unfair to pin it on Sharna. Plenty of DWTS duos have labeled their relationship brother-sister and had good chemistry on the floor.
    Derek had good chemistry with Nicole. Derek had zero chemistry with Kellie. Kellie gives off a married vibe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlie fan View Post
    I also believe the core figure skating and Marlie fans are too small to make a big dent one way or the other too. For example, if Charlie had been in the competition alone without Meryl, I don't think he would have done much better in terms of votes.

As for a "rumor" that the producers didn't want Charlie in the final, that is "Pure" BS.
    I think at the end of the day, Meryl was able to connect with a wider audience than Charlie was - just look at Facebook: she has 65,000+ likes on a single video of their jive. That may be because of so many things: Maks' fan base, their chemistry, and of course their great dancing. Also, it's a big point that people vote sometimes exclusively according to the pro. The celebs change, but the pros remain constant on this show. Don't forget that it is likely that Meryl is probably (hopefully) commanding a good portion of the votes of Maks' DWTS "family" too now: Val, Tony, Henry, since they are endorsing her and Maks (a good thing!).

Also, I think there was good things said in general about Charlie, but I believe (my theory!) that the people who supported him weren't necessarily "all in" to say - meaning, they were splitting votes between say Amy, Meryl and Charlie. I'm not talking fs fans here. So even if he had a pretty big "general audience" base, it's my theory that it was only a fraction of their votes - and I'm guessing by fb support that Meryl and Maks have captured the full support of quite a lot of people.

It's so cynical for me to say this, but in the end it's a TV show. They need drama, but most importantly viewers. Otherwise they'll get canceled. The viewer numbers dropped a lot with the Abby Lee Miller episode already. I wouldn't be surprised if the production decided to cut either Meryl or Charlie before the final at the beginning of the season because they do largely share the same fan base. Candace brings in her fans, James brings in his Big Time Rush followers, and Amy brings in the Derek followers - there's a wider viewer base if you include all of those 3 plus Meryl or Charlie for the final. I don't think there is too much overlap between Amy, James, and Candace's demographics either. I wish Charlie was in the final though... he's been amazing this season.

vCash
    It takes him most if the season to let go and connect with Meryl, so it seems unfair to pin it on Sharna. Plenty of DWTS duos have labeled their relationship brother-sister and had good chemistry on the floor.
    We don't really know what went on in the rehearsals between Sharna and Charlie because we weren't shown much of that but Meryl & Maks have *rehearsed* their chemistry extensively. They spent a lot of time in their salsa and rumba packages just holding each other and getting all sensual in each other's faces. I strongly suspect that Sharna was mostly focused on coaching Charlie on dance technique and not so much on getting comfortable relating to each other intimately. If they had, I think we would have seen it - not as showmance, but more in a general "sex sells" way.

I think there were also several dances where she wasn't looking to achieve chemistry at all, she was more looking to fade into the background and let Charlie shine as a virtuoso. In the jive and the jazz and even the cha-cha, they did a lot of side-by-side dancing or Charlie did solo dancing. It probably seemed like a good idea to give the spotlight to Charlie, but I think seeing a man and woman relate to each other is more what grabs people.

vCash
    ABC has announced that DWTS will be renewed for season 19. Yay! Hard to believe it's been on that long! It will be interesting to see if Maks returns next season too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura4 View Post
    ABC has announced that DWTS will be renewed for season 19. Yay! Hard to believe it's been on that long! It will be interesting to see if Maks returns next season too.
    I have a sinking feeling Maks won't be back next season. He recently said in an interview he has already decided and will say next week. But the thing is it's too early for pros to know they are coming back for the next season. It's usually decided once the celebs have been chosen and approved. I think Maks is happy to leave on a great note after this wonderful season. I see him doing his other projects, his dance studio, and maybe some judging appearances. I would love to see Maks judge as I think he would be respectful and honest. I want to see Maks every Monday, but I love how he has been this season and I would rather him leave on this positive note!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dancer4life View Post
    I think at the end of the day, Meryl was able to connect with a wider audience than Charlie was - just look at Facebook: she has 65,000+ likes on a single video of their jive. That may be because of so many things: Maks' fan base, their chemistry, and of course their great dancing. Also, it's a big point that people vote sometimes exclusively according to the pro. The celebs change, but the pros remain constant on this show. Don't forget that it is likely that Meryl is probably (hopefully) commanding a good portion of the votes of Maks' DWTS "family" too now: Val, Tony, Henry, since they are endorsing her and Maks (a good thing!) ...

It's so cynical for me to say this, but in the end it's a TV show. They need drama, but most importantly viewers. Otherwise they'll get canceled. The viewer numbers dropped a lot with the Abby Lee Miller episode already. I wouldn't be surprised if the production decided to cut either Meryl or Charlie before the final at the beginning of the season because they do largely share the same fan base. Candace brings in her fans, James brings in his Big Time Rush followers, and Amy brings in the Derek followers - there's a wider viewer base if you include all of those 3 plus Meryl or Charlie for the final. I don't think there is too much overlap between Amy, James, and Candace's demographics either. I wish Charlie was in the final though... he's been amazing this season.
    Yes, that's true people vote for their favorite pros instead of the star. Which is why I said Charlie might have been better off with Cheryl Burke as she has a bigger twitter following than even Maks! Meryl has had an advantage over Charlie in this respect. Thankfully she has been the standout dancer of the season so she will have fully earned the MBT by her own right.

As for the producers rigging the outcome at the start of the season, I don't believe that at all. I know there are lots of folks who believe a show like this is totally rigged, but there is no evidence. Someone on the ABC DWTS forum did some lengthy posts as to why the show is not rigged. If you want the link, just let me know.

On a show like this where the viewers vote, producers would be shooting themselves in the foot if they prematurely eliminated contestants who are pulling in a lot of votes. They need the ratings numbers to survive, and getting rid of popular contestants would likely make them lose viewers. So, bottom line, Charlie got eliminated not because he was a threat to Meryl, but because the viewers failed to vote for him each week.

I just started following DWTS on Facebook a few weeks ago, but from what people say, Meryl/Maks have been killing it in popularity there from the early weeks. Apparently, Meryl did not need much help to stay on the show, and the producers knew this too.

Sure, the producers manipulate certain things about the show -- for example, deciding which pro is partnered with which star and editing the packages for maximum drama -- but the drama is not manufactured and the outcome is not predetermined.

How can they predetermine the outcome when they have no idea at the beginning of the season how well each contestant is going to do? Even most of us Marlie fans have been surprised at how much Meryl has excelled. And no one could anticipate Amy doing so well either, regardless of the fact she's been consistently overscored. I think the producers just let things unfold and let the judges and viewers decide who wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook24 View Post
    I have a sinking feeling Maks won't be back next season. He recently said in an interview he has already decided and will say next week. But the thing is it's too early for pros to know they are coming back for the next season. It's usually decided once the celebs have been chosen and approved. I think Maks is happy to leave on a great note after this wonderful season. I see him doing his other projects, his dance studio, and maybe some judging appearances. I would love to see Maks judge as I think he would be respectful and honest. I want to see Maks every Monday, but I love how he has been this season and I would rather him leave on this positive note!

Yeah, I have a feeling he won't be back either. He seems like the kind of guy who prefers to walk away on a high note and then move on to bigger and better things. I'm really hoping he and Meryl can find a way to collaborate on future projects. These two are so good together and have found a place in the hearts of many of us.

Gosh, I'm already feeling sad that the show will be ending next week. It sure didn't help that Charlie got eliminated this week.

vCash
    Didn't Evan and Anna dance in a few shows together after he was on DWTS? It would be cool for Meryl/Maks and Charlie/Sharna to do something like that.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Didn't Evan and Anna dance in a few shows together after he was on DWTS? It would be cool for Meryl/Maks and Charlie/Sharna to do something like that.
    That would be cool!!! I just think Meryl is too good at dancing to not do it after the show. She and Charlie are a powerful dynamic duo on the ice, but her and Maks are something else on that ballroom floor. I hope she see her continue in both arenas

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast