Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympiax View Post
    I know this is veering off topic a little; but can anyone imagine Charlie in a violin duel with Val?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdbljqeCRBA
    Didn't know Val played, too! Yes, Charlie is definitely out of practice. When I saw him at the SOI meet/greet in 2010 I asked him what his favorite piece was (and at that time he said he hadn't played in like a year. . . so it could be many years since he's practiced regularly), and he said "La Folia." It's a theme and variations, and while there are a number of pretty simple parts, it gets pretty hairy (one fast bit starts around 1:45, and there are chords later--see around 5:40--and other fast bits), so Charlie must have had some fairly serious chops at some point.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    The latetest photo of Meryl and Maks on the DWTS website got 35,000+ likes. This was my first trip to the page and I wasn't expecting that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Not sure that was the best shot for DWTS to use. It really shows that Meryl's foot is turned in at the ankle. Other than that it is a lovely photo. Just wish they had considered that they might be proving Abby, the witch right. But, it got likes, so maybe most people don't notice. As I've said, numerous times, I have always had a problem with Meryl's feet. However, I think she has blossomed on so many levels, in DWTS, that I am really impressed with her.

What is this web site people keep talking about, that is so negative? I don't really participate on message boards (other than here), Twitter, etc.
    Last edited by cruisin; 05-09-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dancer4life View Post
    You know, I really think that there is a reason for everything and reality TV, so that begs the question of why did BOTH Meryl and Charlie go on DWTS if they weren't going to have some finale showdown between them and "pit the long time partners against each other in the quest for the mirrorball trophy"? They haven't really overused that storyline this season, probably because Charlie and Meryl just refuse to be anything but the best of friends! but you gotta admit, that would make for some great reality TV drama. I'm still hoping for a 1-2 Meryl and Charlie finale then Amy in 3rd.
    I think that going into this season, TPTB were in desperation mode about the decline in ratings to the point that when it came to casting the celebrities, they did so with the deliberate intention of throwing as many hype-able potential story lines as possible against the wall in hopes that one (or more) would stick -- it was a veritable goldmine in that regard:

- "Pitting the OGM-winning Team Against One Another" (Meryl and Charlie),
    - "Double-Amputee that is an Inspiration" (Amy),
    - "Battle of the Cheesy 90s Family Sitcom Stars" (Danica and Candace),
    - "Battle of the (supposedly) Hot Tween/Teen Heartthrobs" (James and Cody - though IMO both are generic-looking, milquetoast, mediocre singers and about as bland as it gets),
    - "Battle of the Geriatric All-Stars" (Billy Dee Williams and Diana),
    - "Lando Calrissian Overcomes Double-Hip Replacement" (Billy Dee Williams),
    - "Bad Boy Hockey Player vs. Obnoxious Reality TV "Star" For Character Redemption" (Sean and NoNo Leakes),
    - "Bill Engval 2.0 aka Funny Middle-Aged Guy Can Dance!" (Drew Carey)

In addition, they also put some eggs in the "Stars" basket of storyline potential with "Derek the DWTS Deity with the Shitty Facial Hair goes for MBT #5," "The Dueling Chmerkovskiy Brothers," and, of course, "The Return of Maks!"

Regarding the "Meryl and Maks: Are They or Aren't They?" showmance dealio....

Even though Meryl has always kept her relationship with Fedor out of the eye of the media and the public, I do think it's a bit odd that he hasn't been seen in the audience or anywhere in L.A., nor has there been any visible support for his long-time girlfriend that any of us are aware of.

Also, call me kooky, but I don't know anyone who would go along with purporting a ruse in which he or she does not exist in their partner's life and, in turn, having someone else step in to assume that role (obviously as applies here, Fedor's existence being white-washed from Meryl's life and replaced by Maks).

I also find it weird that Marina, who has always been incredibly supportive of Meryl and Charlie, hasn't said one word about their being on DWTS and, in particular, Meryl's incredible technical awesomeness, her acting ability, and especially how she has seemingly exploded with emotion, expressiveness, sexiness without being sleazy, and raw passion when performing. Her being absolutely mum on the subject, along with Fedor's silence and disappearance, makes me wonder if in fact those two have split and Zoueva is siding with her son. There's also a part of me that wonders if her silence about DWTS stems from ego -- it's now glaringly obvious that there was a shit-ton of artistic potential in both Meryl and Charlie that was never tapped into, and I get the distinct feeling that Marina is not the type of person to ever admit making a mistake or screwing up.
    Last edited by Cyn; 05-09-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    What is this web site people keep talking about, that is so negative? I don't really participate on message boards (other than here), Twitter, etc.
    It's PureDWTS.com, which is run by and polluted with Derek Hough fanbots. They 1) do not allow any comments that are critical of their Golden Boy, 2) despise Maks and, in turn, whoever he is partnered with, and 3) are some of the most delusional hypocrites ever seen on a fan-based board.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin
    Came across an ET interview with ALM. They asked who she thought would win and she said, "I think it will be between Amy Purdy and [pause]the Meryl party." You could tell she was grasping for some insulting way to refer to Meryl and that's what she came up with.
    The Meryl Party? So Abby is insinuating that Meryl is going to win just because she's popular, not because she's a good dancer? How insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin
    Loved this quote from Julz Tocker about Maks working with Meryl: "It’s nice to work with someone who you can basically say: ‘Do a triple spin, land in a split, get back up, do a back flip and then land on my finger.’”
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    - "Battle of the (supposedly) Hot Tween/Teen Heartthrobs" (James and Cody - though IMO both are generic-looking, milquetoast, mediocre singers and about as bland as it gets),
    - "Battle of the Geriatric All-Stars" (Billy Dee Williams and Diana),
    LOL

Regarding the "Meryl and Maks: Are They or Aren't They?" showmance dealio....even though Meryl has always kept her relationship with Fedor out of the eye of the media and the public, I do think it's a bit odd that he hasn't been seen in the audience or anywhere in L.A., nor has there been any visible support for his long-time girlfriend that any of us are aware of.

Also, call me kooky, but I don't know anyone who would go along with purporting a ruse in which he or she does not exist in their partner's life and, in turn, having someone else step in to assume that role (obviously as applies here, Fedor's existence being white-washed from Meryl's life and replaced by Maks).
    I agree! Tanith was kept on the DL through the Olympics, but now she is seen constantly. Where is Fedor? There hasn't been one word said about him even though Tanith is mentioned a lot. Even if the star doesn't want to talk about it, whoever they're dating always "gets out" and it hasn't this time with Meryl. Makes me think he's no longer "around."

vCash
    Maybe Marina just has no reason to give interviews right now? It's not necessarily intentional silence.

Some anon on tumblr said they know from a reliable source that Meryl broke up with her boyfriend right around the time DWTS started and that it was a "sad breakup". That's just FYI, I'm not saying anyone should believe anything coming from an anon on tumblr.

I would find it shocking at this point to learn that for the past 2 1/2 months, Meryl has secretly been spending the 5 free minutes she has per week with a boyfriend that nobody knows about. And that said boyfriend is ok with how she behaves around Maks. And that all the time and affection Maks & Meryl lavish on one another is just platonic buddy behavior. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, people.

Yes, dance partners are physically affectionate, but what Maks & Meryl do is way beyond. It was funny on Afterbuzz that Suri was talking about how Maks & Meryl are so affectionate and Shirley Ballas laughed and said, "Yes, very."

And I wouldn't expect anyone on the show who considers themselves a friend to out the two of them to the media. M&M clearly have not seen fit to make a definitive announcement, so I doubt Sharna or Tom Bergeron would take it upon themselves to do so.

The Meryl Party? So Abby is insinuating that Meryl is going to win just because she's popular, not because she's a good dancer? How insulting.
    It was very awkward the way she said it, so I can't say exactly what she meant, but I think she meant "party" as in "third party" or "guilty party" and it came out "the Meryl party". It was like saying "that Meryl person" as if she couldn't quite remember her name and didn't consider her important.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I would find it shocking at this point to learn that for the past 2 1/2 months, Meryl has secretly been spending the 5 free minutes she has per week with a boyfriend that nobody knows about. And that said boyfriend is ok with how she behaves around Maks. And that all the time and affection Maks & Meryl lavish on one another is just platonic buddy behavior. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, people.
    Yes.

vCash
    I haven't seen anything unseemly in Meryl and Maks' behaviour.
    If they have a "relationship", that is their business; and should remain so.

Remember, people outside FSU read these boards.

vCash
    I haven't seen anything unseemly in Meryl and Maks' behaviour.
    What would be "unseemly" about them having a relationship? They're young, they're single, they clearly like each other. Nobody is accusing them of a crime here!

vCash
    I mean, why don't believe any of them when they're just sticking to friendship? Meryl and Maks said they have this friendship, Charlie and Sharna said something similar about them, and that after buzz host denied the dating question, even Tom, the DWTS host, denied it either. What makes you tend to believe in something so many people denied? That being said, Meryl and Maks are friends, not even a showmance. PETA and James could be showmance.

vCash
    So I've been pondering TandBFan's remarks from the old thread:

It's kinda cracking me up that there's more hand-wringing in this thread over DWTS than we had the past six years while Meryl and Charlie were competing. And there were plenty of questionable things to worry about then.
    For me, I worried a lot more about their competitive career than I am about DWTS. I would love for one to win (okay, I would really love for Meryl and Maks to win, but I would be thrilled for Charlie and Sharna as well) but I had real nerves for their events.

I didn't post as much angst because I really love this happy, generally positive community. Sure we were all nervous for them, but they were so reliable and were clearly doing everything they could to win. Worrying about the judging panels or Marina's vision endlessly would have taken away from the really great vibe we had going. It wasn't hard to find people elsewhere ripping them apart for this and that, and it was quite a haven in here. I have no idea if that makes sense.

DWTS, on the other hand, is such a great bonus. And yes, it's stressful when Meryl is trashed by ALM or when Charlie is under-appreciated, but the stakes really aren't that high, so angst away. Also that they are on largely separate journeys gives us twice as much fodder to discuss! New routines every week! Costumes! Packages! (heh) Stars on Ice!

vCash
    I remember as DWTS was starting, there was some article in the NYP where they had clearly interviewed Meryl and Charlie, and the reporter mentioned Meryl was single. We took note but figured it was a mistake. Maybe it wasn't.

it's now glaringly obvious that there was a shit-ton of artistic potential in both Meryl and Charlie that was never tapped into, and I get the distinct feeling that Marina is not the type of person to ever admit making a mistake or screwing up.
    I don't feel like Marina screwed up or would ever think she screwed up with D/W. After all, they just won the gold medal! Davis and White had some great programs that played perfectly to their strengths as a team. I've been surprised watching Meryl dance with Maks, but I think part of the reason they've been so interesting and surprising to watch is because his energy is entirely different from Charlie's, and he's really pushed Meryl out of her comfort zone and how we're used to seeing her. Charlie has been great on the show too, but there's more of a through-line for me with his performances, and my favorites from him are his contemporary pieces which remind me a lot of his ice dancing.

vCash
    I can't imagine how Meryl has had time to date anybody. Charlie and Tanith sound like they are ready to settle down together. I think they kept their relationtionship on the downlow because she was commentating on his peformances. Sandra Bezic ran into some backlash about commentating on skaters she was involved with and the network asked her not to work with the skaters anymore. Maybe Charlie/Tanith didn't want to be put in that situation.

vCash
    I think it's very likely they are friends. Maks seems like a fairly transparent person and he's made numerous references to not asking questions till later and enjoying what they have right now. I don't think he's truly desiring to rock the boat. I think he meant what he said, when he said "whatever they have". I don't think he's playing coy. I think that's how it is. We've all had friends we were sweet on and didn't act on for a while, if ever.

I don't think she's with Fedor anymore though. She's doesn't talk about her personal life, but she wasn't hiding it either. They were photographed at that game and attended the same events. She didn't forbid her friends from posting those pictures. With as many cameras around now, I doubt not one would catch a hug or his face in the audience with other skaters or her parents.

At the end if the day it's all her business and real life relationships don't stop me from enjoying the chemistry they have on the ballroom floor. It doesn't need to be more.

vCash
    There's also a part of me that wonders if her silence about DWTS stems from ego -- it's now glaringly obvious that there was a shit-ton of artistic potential in both Meryl and Charlie that was never tapped into, and I get the distinct feeling that Marina is not the type of person to ever admit making a mistake or screwing up.
    There was a conscious effort by Marina to emphasize Marlie's precision, speed, and athleticism, no? I think this may have been the right choice. It seems like a lot of ice dance couples would be able to act and emote, but Marlie were practically unmatched in their precision and speed. So why not let this couple stand out on the ice in that respect? Also, most importantly, Charlie seems to have a harder time emoting. Marina seems to be very astute and may have seen this too. So maybe this limitation is what reigned Marlie in too.

At any rate, the proof is in the pudding. Whatever Marina did for them it worked, and Marlie won the Gold after dominating over even their closest competitors for around two years straight. I don't think Marina has any regrets.

vCash
    I mean, why don't believe any of them when they're just sticking to friendship? Meryl and Maks said they have this friendship, Charlie and Sharna said something similar about them, and that after buzz host denied the dating question, even Tom, the DWTS host, denied it either.
    Meryl & Maks have not said that they are "just" sticking to friendship or that their "friendship" is platonic. If they made that kind of definitive statement, then I would take their word for it.

Charlie and Sharna both dodged the question. Tom made a guess. Kristyn said "not a romance" but didn't say who that's coming from. If there is something going on, I doubt Meryl & Maks have a)Announced the details of their burgeoning relationship to every crew member on the show, and 2)Given them permission to discuss it with the press on their behalf.

vCash
    According to Bing and Facebookology, Charlie will likely survive on Monday and make it though to the finals the following week with Meryl. This must be very satisfying for the two of them -- to take this journey together and both make it to the end. So glad it worked out this way. Now we just have to hope the judges score things fairly the rest of the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    What would be "unseemly" about them having a relationship? They're young, they're single, they clearly like each other. Nobody is accusing them of a crime here!
    Absolutely nothing!
    However, why imply that they might be involved outside the show, when we don't know whether it is true?

vCash
    Marlie, do you have a link to the Facebookology thing?

vCash
    However, why imply that they might be involved outside the show, when we don't know whether it is true?
    Why not? I'd be happy for them.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast