Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,001 to 1,006 of 1006
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    The thing is, Charlie was eliminated the week he did a perfect scoring individual dance and an almost-perfect scoring duo dance. It was not the show that eliminated Charlie, it was the voters. To be eliminated when you are at the top of the leaderboard means you were lacking a LOT of votes.

That may have worked out in the show's favor in one way by proving that ringers don't always make it to the final, but I think the show would have preferred it if both Charlie and Meryl had both been hugely popular and could have fought to the death in the final.
    I think the context is important, though. The same evening that Charlie got perfect/near perfect scores, Abby Lee Miller panned both of Meryl's dances. The core D/W fans thought that Charlie would be okay, and were horrified at a potential early elimination for Meryl. Meryl was saved, but Charlie didn't have enough votes to support his high scores (I personally voted for him 30 times), and went home. In the current post on That Site, a lot of the commenters have said that Charlie is their favorite male celebrity this season, so he did have fans. Had Amy been eliminated, their votes would have gone to him. Unfortunately, unlike James or Candace, Charlie didn't have a fanbase exclusively devoted to him.

As for aftershocks' other points, there is a rumor that the producers did not want Charlie in the final (EMPHASIS: this is a rumor). Posted more info about that on Goldenskate (I know there are people active in both communities, so I won't rehash all of that here).

Re Sharna: Sharna seems like a taskmaster, and her two previous partners were Keyshawn Johnson and Andy Dick. I think she works best with non-skilled dancers who need to be whipped into shape. Maybe she could have used a lighter touch with Charlie? That being said, she and Charlie seemed to get along well, and I didn't have any issues with their chemistry.

Re previous wuzrobbed celebrities: I agree with the posters who say that Zendaya should have won her season. Shawn should have beaten Melissa during the All-Star season as well, but I think that the voters really wanted to give Tony his first Mirrorball. I'm okay with Emmitt and Amber's victories, though (Mario was too arrogant, and Corbin had studied dance with Debbie Allen).

vCash
    One last push for Mirrorball Madness. It's not just apprapo for next week, it reflects how we've been feeling as a group. Lot's of worry and madness over who's staying and the certainty of Meryl's position. We're all delicate snowflakes on edge over DWTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladashwood View Post
    You seem to forget that there have been quite a few brilliant Paso Doble's in the show's history, such as Drew & Cheryl's Thriller paso, Maks & Mel B's Free Your Mind paso, along with Derek & Joanna's Futuristic paso...etc. I really hope it's not skipped, because I'd love to see Meryl & Maks perform one even if it would only be in a relay.
    I didn't forget. Brilliance is in the eye of the beholder...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Afterlife
    vCash
    New thread is here
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    The core D/W fans thought that Charlie would be okay, and were horrified at a potential early elimination for Meryl.
    I think people are way overestimating the size and influence of "core D/W" fans. We all know the size of the figure skating audience these days is tiny, and the number of figure skating fans who are loyal D/W fans is a small percentage of that. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people who are watching and voting on this show.

I think people are also making assumptions about how figure skating fans would/did vote that are unfounded. Just because somebody knew about Meryl & Charlie from the figure skating world does not mean that they were rooting for them equally, or even voting for them both. All of these prognosticators are assuming that Meryl voters have also been voting for Charlie all along, and I don't think that was the case.

As for Pure, they loved Charlie only because they loved to cast him as the victim of evilllll Meryl in whatever way they could. Did they like him enough to vote for him? No. In fact, while they were busy voting their fingers off for Amy, they were crowing about all the stupid Meryl fans who weren't going to do their job and keep Charlie safe with their votes - because somehow it was the moral responsibility of *Meryl* fans to vote for *Charlie*.

vCash
    Muffin, I agree that there not as many true figure skating fans than we like to think. We, on FSU, seem larger than we are, but this is a skating forum. However, I do think people love to watch skating during the Olympics. Meryl and Charlie emerged as America's darlings. Because, they are on DWTS, so soon after the Olympics, I think they have a larger fan base than figure skaters usually do. If they had waited for next season, maybe not.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051