View Poll Results: Who's your favourite French male skater?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Philippe Candeloro

    12 13.64%
  • Eric Millot

    8 9.09%
  • Laurent Tobel

    6 6.82%
  • Brian Joubert

    40 45.45%
  • Frédéric Dambier

    0 0%
  • Vincent Restencourt

    0 0%
  • Stanick Jeannette

    6 6.82%
  • Yannick Ponsero

    11 12.50%
  • Alban Preaubert

    1 1.14%
  • Florent Amodio

    2 2.27%
  • Chafik Besseghier

    0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

    2 2.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    جوجه تیغی خجالتی می داند زیبایی از گلبرگ
    Posts
    10,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    122817
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Macho, with a sensitive side. An attractive and intriguing combination for many women.
    If you're generalising about what women like, please note that I called his macho programmes "poxy". He could have been so much more.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    If you're generalising about what women like, please note that I called his macho programmes "poxy". He could have been so much more.
    True - I think in terms of his skating, he would have won more world medals if he had focused more on his artistry and choreography. But that wasn't really Brian's style.

    I wasn't really generalising about anything particularly serious - just saying that it can be a nice combination for someone to be both strong and sensitive. Joubert obviously had a very athletic, macho jumping & skating style (similar to Elvis Stojko), but it was also clear he had an emotional, sensitive side underneath (like his love for his Mom and moving in with her to provide support after his parents got divorced).

  3. #23
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    جوجه تیغی خجالتی می داند زیبایی از گلبرگ
    Posts
    10,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    122817
    Yes, you're right.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    I vote for Ponsero's buttocks.
    Yes! That booty was big enough to represent at least Belgium, Andorra and Luxembourg in addition to France.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,962
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7850
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Laurent Tobel. I like different. And square pegs in round holes. And quirky. And ohmygodwhattheheckishedoing??
    Oh yeah. He was just plain goofy and interesting and eye-catchingly tall. Even though he never finished all that high at Worlds, he was routinely invited to tour because he was so watchable and completely the entertainer.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yannick Ponsero, musical, elegant, excellent edges, excellent spins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuTd2qoSrdg
    Too bad he lacked consistency and mental strenght !

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Since Paul Duchesnay was born in France, he gets my vote.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I LOOOOOVED Philippe Candeloro! I have never seen a more artistic male skater who could hold his nerve at the Olympics!

  9. #29
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    جوجه تیغی خجالتی می داند زیبایی از گلبرگ
    Posts
    10,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    122817
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I LOOOOOVED Philippe Candeloro! I have never seen a more artistic male skater who could hold his nerve at the Olympics!
    He really went all out for it; you couldn't fault him for lack of effort.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Yannick Ponsero, musical, elegant, excellent edges, excellent spins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuTd2qoSrdg
    Too bad he lacked consistency and mental strenght !
    Let us now recall a great moment in Yannick Ponsero history.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    True - I think in terms of his skating, he would have won more world medals if he had focused more on his artistry and choreography. But that wasn't really Brian's style.
    I disagree. Trying to turn yourself into a skater you're not doesn't turn out well for most skaters, and I doubt it would have worked well for Joubert even if he had put more effort into being IJS-friendly and/or "artistic". Whenever he tried challenging himself artistically (e.g. his 2011 SP, the Inception program), the judges basically told him to go do techno - is it any wonder that he did, and saved the more subtle stuff for the galas?

    Joubert won six world medals and ten Euros medals - that's 16 senior ISU Championship medals, and you're not going to find any other active/recently retired skater with more. How much more could be expected of him in that regard? In the last few years he was obviously no longer in peak form physically, though I think one could make an argument that he should have won the bronze in 2012. So clearly his approach worked out well for him, even if he remained more of a 6.0 skater than an IJS one.

    I refuse to vote in the poll on account of there being too many good French skaters.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I disagree. Trying to turn yourself into a skater you're not doesn't turn out well for most skaters, and I doubt it would have worked well for Joubert even if he had put more effort into being IJS-friendly and/or "artistic". Whenever he tried challenging himself artistically (e.g. his 2011 SP, the Inception program), the judges basically told him to go do techno - is it any wonder that he did, and saved the more subtle stuff for the galas?

    Joubert won six world medals and ten Euros medals - that's 16 senior ISU Championship medals, and you're not going to find any other active/recently retired skater with more. How much more could be expected of him in that regard? In the last few years he was obviously no longer in peak form physically, though I think one could make an argument that he should have won the bronze in 2012. So clearly his approach worked out well for him, even if he remained more of a 6.0 skater than an IJS one.
    I agree that Brian was more successful than most of his contemporaries, and people forget that. I think what some people are saying is that if he had done more choreographically and in terms of footwork and movement in between the jumps, he might have won another World title or had a better chance at getting on the Olympic podium.

    Anyways, I'm glad he was able to do another Olympics this year and have a happier experience with it than in the past.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I agree that Brian was more successful than most of his contemporaries, and people forget that. I think what some people are saying is that if he had done more choreographically and in terms of footwork and movement in between the jumps, he might have won another World title or had a better chance at getting on the Olympic podium.

    Anyways, I'm glad he was able to do another Olympics this year and have a happier experience with it than in the past.
    I think Joubert, when he was on, was the best skater he could be. I don't think he could have become Buttle with a stable quad even if he'd tried very hard His real chance at an Olympic podium was in the early years of the current system, before everyone figured out how to work the system. I think the best thing he could have done to improve his chances in that regard is go back to the Matrix before rather than after the 2006 Olympics. In 2002 he was too young and inexperienced, 2010 was a lost cause after he injured his foot and 2014 was always a lost cause.

    Anyway, I like that Joubert didn't go too far in trying to remake his skating. That's one of the problems I have with the current system; I feel like it's pushing skaters into a very narrow range performance-wise, especially in the men's where you have to wring every last point out of the program. One of the things I've liked about many of the French skaters is that they tried to do things their way and find their own style - I think that's been missing from many men's programs in the last few years.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I think Joubert, when he was on, was the best skater he could be. I don't think he could have become Buttle with a stable quad even if he'd tried very hard His real chance at an Olympic podium was in the early years of the current system, before everyone figured out how to work the system. I think the best thing he could have done to improve his chances in that regard is go back to the Matrix before rather than after the 2006 Olympics. In 2002 he was too young and inexperienced, 2010 was a lost cause after he injured his foot and 2014 was always a lost cause.

    Anyway, I like that Joubert didn't go too far in trying to remake his skating. That's one of the problems I have with the current system; I feel like it's pushing skaters into a very narrow range performance-wise, especially in the men's where you have to wring every last point out of the program. One of the things I've liked about many of the French skaters is that they tried to do things their way and find their own style - I think that's been missing from many men's programs in the last few years.
    ITA. And 2006 was, IMO, the best shot at a medal for Brian Joubert. He is a very strong skater, but too much of 2-foot skating, too stiff in his step sequences, it got worse with time.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    I vote for Ponsero's buttocks.

    First thing i thought about when i saw this thread

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    208
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Since Paul Duchesnay was born in France, he gets my vote.

    Same here.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    With Daisuke-san
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,714
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post

    Same here.
    Oh dear, don't even get me started on French male dancers.....

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    Oh dear, don't even get me started on French male dancers.....
    Olivier Schoenfelder
    I would kill to dance an Argentin Tango or Paso Doble with him...too bad I'm also a male !

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would kill to dance an Argentin Tango or Paso Doble with him...too bad I'm also a male !
    As far as I know there have been some male-male teams, at least at some ice shows

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    As far as I know there have been some male-male teams, at least at some ice shows
    For instance, here is the future French team A/J practicing twizzles and lifts

    And of course, the best Carmen of our times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •