Title-less
    vCash

Help with US history/genealogy research

I am trying to verify the employment of a person who was supposed to be a staff member of a US Congressman some time in the early 1910s. I checked the Official Register of the US, but the legislative records only included clerks of committees, reporters, etc. Not staff the individual legislators employed.

I am thinking that maybe I should check with the whoever holds the congressman's personal papers.

Does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm not doing this for myself, but someone else I couldn't say no to. )

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    If you know the legislator involved and the time, you may be able to FOIA a list of staffers. Not sure how much time or cost that would be.

vCash
    The DC Public Library has the city directories during that time period and a person's name, address, and occupation are listed. It might not list the congressman's name, but the workplace could be there. A query to the Library of Congress via the Ask a librarian link might be fruitful, too. Stress the historical rather than the genealogical part of the question.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    If you know the legislator involved and the time, you may be able to FOIA a list of staffers. Not sure how much time or cost that would be.
    Thanks. Whom should I FOIA this request if the legislator is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by JoyCo View Post
    The DC Public Library has the city directories during that time period and a person's name, address, and occupation are listed. It might not list the congressman's name, but the workplace could be there. A query to the Library of Congress via the Ask a librarian link might be fruitful, too. Stress the historical rather than the genealogical part of the question.
    I'll try that. Thx

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'd say send it to the legislative district's office. Try calling them first. They can let you know how to go about getting the info.

vCash
    Also check the 1910 U.S. census record for the county where that person would have lived. There is an occupation field that might list a job title.

Title-less
    vCash
    I did find a possible name match in the 1914 city directory with an occupation, but no workplace.
    I didn't find a good match in the 1910 census. There were name matches but the names didn't match the city of residence.
    I was given a name match in the 1900 census (by the person asking the question ), but I am not sure whether to trust that or not.

vCash
    You might also look for the person's obituary, which might have a description of what occupations that person had during his/her lifetime.